1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

WoW dungeon/raid crawler template Lua/TS?

Discussion in 'Project Recruitment' started by The_Spellweaver, Jul 26, 2019.

1. The_Spellweaver

The_Spellweaver

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    So I wanted to make a wow based dungeon crawler in the latest editor, since it has such powerful tools and natives that make some great things possible. I am talking about UI natives mostly.

What I decided to start though, is a series of maps of raids/dungeons from cataclysm, since I am mostly familiar with them, and confident enough I could make the fights complex enough like in the real game, but still not too hard. What other maps have been lacking, in my opinion is tools to make these fights easier, and in turn ability to make the players focus more on the execution, rather than challenges of using wc3 for such a task.

I've already created a map that showcases some of the intricacy of spells one can reach, and what is possible to do (casting while casting and moving, stackable over time effects, stats like haste and crit easily implemented into spells...). This map includes a single boss that doesn't really work well (due to it being an experimentation) Rhyolith, the one where he's unattackable, but his legs (separate) are. And attacking the legs steers his direction.

This ^ was done in 1.26 / JNGP using vJass.

Lately I've started learning and experimenting with Lua and frames, resulting in me making a (not yet polished for spell section) fully working Talent system. I've also found out how to expand the clickable/targetable Hero Buttons and display the hp/mp, just as if it was a real party profile. It's still limited at 3 controlled and 4 allied heroes though.

Using Progress Bar (jesushipster) for cast time and doing the shenanigans I already mentioned (made a dumbed down version of BfA fire mage).

Spell alerts like those that happen in Wow can be made similar using wc3 frames. Button highlighting as well (some procs).

Even multiple spell slots that people have been making, using the keyboard event and frames to display spells.

So all of what I just mentioned can be used within multiple maps. A single map holding several dungeons, but then a separate map hosting Firelands raid with 7 bosses, and all of them sharing same items, classes, abilities, talent trees, save load systems, the only difference being in the Config file which lists the map's unit/spell/buff... IDs. Except of course, not everything will drop everywhere. If this was open source, it would allow people to make their own versions of dungeons, or even made up ones, or from different expansions, without all the hard work (and satisfaction) of designing classes or items and bonuses.

There is so much potential about making great dungeon crawlers and I'd love if some of you hopped in and helped me with stuff. I will slowly push it alone if needs though but at that pace, it may never come out :p
    I planned to make a simple dungeon first like Blackrock Caverns, using several classes that I will make, 1-2 healers 6-7 dps and 1-2 tank specs.

It's a simple/slow project of mine (still in testing waters with latest wc3 updates) but it can become a large scale project where I am just a speck in :p

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  2. usfshihy

usfshihy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hi! I created the dungeon Utgarde Pinnacle from WoW and I was about 90% done with the Black Temple before losing my hard drive. I will be more than glad to help out, message me if you are interested!