• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WoW dungeon/raid crawler template Lua/TS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I wanted to make a wow based dungeon crawler in the latest editor, since it has such powerful tools and natives that make some great things possible. I am talking about UI natives mostly.

What I decided to start though, is a series of maps of raids/dungeons from cataclysm, since I am mostly familiar with them, and confident enough I could make the fights complex enough like in the real game, but still not too hard. What other maps have been lacking, in my opinion is tools to make these fights easier, and in turn ability to make the players focus more on the execution, rather than challenges of using wc3 for such a task.

I've already created a map that showcases some of the intricacy of spells one can reach, and what is possible to do (casting while casting and moving, stackable over time effects, stats like haste and crit easily implemented into spells...). This map includes a single boss that doesn't really work well (due to it being an experimentation) Rhyolith, the one where he's unattackable, but his legs (separate) are. And attacking the legs steers his direction.

This ^ was done in 1.26 / JNGP using vJass.

Lately I've started learning and experimenting with Lua and frames, resulting in me making a (not yet polished for spell section) fully working Talent system. I've also found out how to expand the clickable/targetable Hero Buttons and display the hp/mp, just as if it was a real party profile. It's still limited at 3 controlled and 4 allied heroes though.

Using Progress Bar (jesushipster) for cast time and doing the shenanigans I already mentioned (made a dumbed down version of BfA fire mage).

Spell alerts like those that happen in Wow can be made similar using wc3 frames. Button highlighting as well (some procs).

Even multiple spell slots that people have been making, using the keyboard event and frames to display spells.

So all of what I just mentioned can be used within multiple maps. A single map holding several dungeons, but then a separate map hosting Firelands raid with 7 bosses, and all of them sharing same items, classes, abilities, talent trees, save load systems, the only difference being in the Config file which lists the map's unit/spell/buff... IDs. Except of course, not everything will drop everywhere. If this was open source, it would allow people to make their own versions of dungeons, or even made up ones, or from different expansions, without all the hard work (and satisfaction) of designing classes or items and bonuses.

There is so much potential about making great dungeon crawlers and I'd love if some of you hopped in and helped me with stuff. I will slowly push it alone if needs though but at that pace, it may never come out :p
I planned to make a simple dungeon first like Blackrock Caverns, using several classes that I will make, 1-2 healers 6-7 dps and 1-2 tank specs.

It's a simple/slow project of mine (still in testing waters with latest wc3 updates) but it can become a large scale project where I am just a speck in :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.