• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Dungeon Crafter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
I'm creating a map named 'Dungeon Crafter'.
Each player has a Dungeon Crafter and an empty 64x64 space to build a dungeon to their tastes. The map is not competitive in a way to create the hardest dungeon, but the funniest, and this will be decided when everybody decide to finish the game.

You can place: (any destructable feature can be made invulnerable by the player)
- Walls: basic dungeon tool, will prevent the heroes to see and walk beneath it. The walls are destructable.
- Half-Walls: a wall with half of the height; heroes can see through but cannot walk on it. Destructable as well.
- Curtains: heroes can walk beneath it, but can't see. (Destructable)
- [rainbow]Portal[/rainbow]: This is where the heroes appear when they enter the dungeon, it is indestructable and the dungeon should have at least one to be playable. If there are two portals, they will be randomly teleported to one of them (good to split heroes)
- Door: They are destructable and block sight when closed.
- Lever: The levers are customized to react with doors, walls, or any other destructable feature to make them open or disappear when the lever is pressed. Levers are destructable when they can be only triggered once, but if they can trigger infinite times, they are said to be 'indestructable'.
- Teleport Pad: The teleport pad is a trap that when stepped on will teleport the hero to a determinated location, but it isn't guaranteed to have a teleport pad to sent you the wayback. It is destructable.
- Foot Switch: Can be visible or invisible. If stepped will trigger an action that is already set. If destructable, will fire only once per dungeon play, but if indestructable, will fire as many times as needed.
- Stream Trap: Always face a direction. When activated by a foot switch, or lever, or chest, will shoot in this direction a stream of something: Acid Stream, Water Stream, Fire Breath, Cold Breath, Poison Spray, Wave of Cursing. The Stream Trap is destructable (can be deactivated by a lever, or foot switch, or chest).
- Treasure Chest: Acts as a lever, but has a different fashion of triggers, and will drop its inventory when triggered.

I'm willing to fill 4 or 5 spellbooks with features to the Crafter to use.
So I'm here asking for [rainbow]feedback and new ideas[/rainbow]

Last edited:
Level 18
If the dungeons can only be played when all players agree, then if there's only 1 person to interfere with this (by never agreeing to start or being unaware that he needs to agree to start), the complete game is dead and people will only find out when they've already spend a while making their dungeons for nothing.
A kicking system won't help, because unaware players will be kicked for not knowing the map and the person who can kick will be likely to abuse his powers.

Make sure players can only agree to start the game when they've made a Portal or a Portal should be randomly placed.

Other then that, I think it'll be alright. I'm not the type who would enjoy that I think, but a fan could probably be busy with it for a while.

Level 10
Well, it isn't a competitive game, so I don't believe they will try to kick everyone and screw up everyone. Everybody is free to go in every dungeon, like:
normaluser: hey genericuser, I'm finished, let's give a try at anyuser's dungeon?
genericuser: sure, but let's go into mine after, ok?
If the user is finished already, he doesn't need any consentment of anybody to receive heroes in his dungeon. Heroes will be customized also.
There's no real competition, it's only for fun, like Escape Maker, but here everyone can build their thing and can use traps and a lot of stuff.
The players that don't feel like building a dungeon can play with heroes at the arena I will make.

Level 10
hmm... sounds interesting..
I'll give idea:
Spike Wall
a wall that cause damage when hero get too close to it.
cracked floor
a land that can destroyed and be walkable when walking more than *creator specified* time(s)

adding trap will be fun to creator and the player itself.
my idea for trap:
slide trap
if unit move to this, it will get slide.
jump trap
unit move to this will get jumped to *creator specified/random* place

that's all... hope this map will released shortly, so, i can played it!

thank you..
~Mage_Goo

Level 10
hmm... sounds interesting..
I'll give idea:
Spike Wall
a wall that cause damage when hero get too close to it.
cracked floor
a land that can destroyed and be walkable when walking more than *creator specified* time(s)

adding trap will be fun to creator and the player itself.
my idea for trap:
slide trap
if unit move to this, it will get slide.
jump trap
unit move to this will get jumped to *creator specified/random* place

that's all... hope this map will released shortly, so, i can played it!

thank you..
~Mage_Goo
Yeah, I will add a lot of land traps, like pungee pits, sticky glue, entangling vines, spiky needles, and your jump trap is already being created, it is the Teleport Pad. All of them can be deactivated by a lever.

I think the dungeons sizes should be at least 50X50. 32X32 is tiny.

How are you gonna add stuff? text commands or what?

You are right, I'm changing the max size of each dungeon to 64x64, to 12 players, will totalize 256x192 (3x4 players), with the remaining 64x256 part of the map only for fun, with hero creation and arenas, since not everyone will create dungeons. I will also make it possible to a player to give his terrain to another one, and limit himself to hero playing.

Features won't be added by text commands, because in DoBRP a few would know how to use the commands properly. So they will have a main unit named 'Dungeon Crafter', and this unit will have 5 spellbooks of dungeon building spells, including summoning statues, walls and traps. But it won't be each spell for each feature, because I wouldn't have that much point-targetered abilities to be based off, and it would be way too confusing. I have a way, you will see it at the soonly released beta.

Level 6
One thing you really need to do though is make it where other players can't see the dungeon while he's making it. I know it's not competetive, but someone will probably spoil the suprise or just avoid all the traps because he watched the players make them.

Also are you planning to let the crafter spawn enemies for the other players?

You could let the crafter spawn himself friendly units and he could walk his hero to the end of the dungeon. Then when others enter you could have him switch to their enemy and he could be the enemies and the boss.
Could take a bit to get it right, but I would love to play as the boss and units in a dungeon.

Level 10
One thing you really need to do though is make it where other players can't see the dungeon while he's making it. I know it's not competetive, but someone will probably spoil the suprise or just avoid all the traps because he watched the players make them.
of course the line of sight won't be shared, thanks for reminding.

Also are you planning to let the crafter spawn enemies for the other players?

You could let the crafter spawn himself friendly units and he could walk his hero to the end of the dungeon. Then when others enter you could have him switch to their enemy and he could be the enemies and the boss.
Could take a bit to get it right, but I would love to play as the boss and units in a dungeon.
Oh thats a sweet idea. Maybe a shared dungeon! you cna share the territority with your mate. But yes, the dungeon will be managed by the owner of it, If he gives unit control, therefore, these players the control is given to.
Thanks for helping!

Level 6
Maybe more than 32x32...

Read the thread he already changed that.

And Lestat
Don't forget to put in a command for deleting the items in case if you get them in the wrong place. Also an ability to clear your dungeon in case of mistakes would be good too.

In case of playing with strangers you could post whether or not the dungeon is ready in a scoreboard.

Level 10
Yup, these are certainly to-be-added details.
The clear dungeon and erase objects is already implemented.
I'm doing the trap mechanism:
Traps can be fired by many triggerers at the same time:
Lever Triggers: These need to be attacked.
Foot Switch Triggers: These fire events by being stepped on.
Periodic Triggers: These will fire traps periodically. (Good for doing a fireball room, or anything like that)
Traps can help players defeating enemies, therefore can have triggerers like:
Inventory Triggers: These fire traps when an item is dropped at an inventory. (for keys)
Ability Triggers: These fire traps when a specific ability is used on them. (usually extra)

Level 6
More Traps :)

I would love to play this map, I really like the idea.
Here are some traps and other stuff.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trap Ideas:

Crushing Wall: When Triggered by a hidden switch, two walls move against eachother and crushes all units between them.
(Can be used by players against creatures/enemies.)

Falling Cage: When a unit walks beneath a cage, it falls and traps the unit inside. The Cage explodes after a certain amount of time.
(Can be used by players against creatures/enemies.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Units:

Slime: The Slime traps a unit in its goo, making it move slower for 20 seconds.

Good Luck with your project, looking forward to it.
Also, posts some pictures of what you have done so far.

Level 5
This sounds realy intresting, cant wait for it to be done.
I hope you include some new heros and units (just to make the map fell fresh)

Vex

Vex

Level 3
Cool idea.

Actually I'm working on something similar, except it's a map that generates a random dungeon to challenge the hero players. If it ever gets done, I was planning on adding a 'Dungeon Keeper' mode (if you know that game) where one team builds a dungeon and the others try to beat it. That's just in the idea-phase though.

I will be interested in seeing how your map turns out :)

For instance how to make a good user interface for crafting,
and the part where you have levers/switches and connect them to doors/traps etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.