• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Couple of trigger-related problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hello, people. I have been working on a map (Afterlife, there is a thread for it here in the forum though it's quite dead) for quite some time now and it's not far from completion now. I do, however, have a few problems that I have tried in vain to solve. I post here in hope of getting some advice.
The map is attached, so you can check it out and see the problems first-hand, should you have the dedication for it.

Problem 1: I have number of units on team 9 (Gray). The trouble is that as soon as the game starts, the AI seems to tell all its units to move to player Teal's (the second human player, as it's a 2-player RPG (though if you play the map solo you control both heroes and Teal isn't used)) Start Zone.
I have no idea why this behaviour is done. I have moved the Start Zone around to see if it really is the AI's goal, and it proved out it was. I tried to counter ir by making all the Gray units Neutral Passive from the start and then change the ownership as the players move into the area, to no effect.
I should also mention that this change seems to have started when I implemented the "BT Assault Spawning" trigger (See Triggers/Environmental/Spawning).

In order to let you easily see this problem I have created a few triggers. First you should use iseedeadpeople. Then you type in "set cam to wanderers". Follow this with "make wanderers" to change ownership. You can use "test morteren movement" in order to repeatedly see their leader ignore his given order in favor of the Teal Start Zone.

Problem 2: I have created a puzzle based on moving elevators, requiring the player(s) to use one hero to press switches to raise and lower platforms while the other one makes his way through.
Somewhere along the run a problem appeared. The puzzle has a lever that activates when all the switches have been pressed, reseting the elevators and switches while teleporting the hero on the elevators back out.
The problem is that after your first reset, the elevator walls seem to all shut. The first time you go through the puzzle it works fine, the second you can't even enter it. I have tried many times and checked through the triggers, but I find nothing out of the order.

• Elevator Puzzle Start
    • Events
      • Destructible - Lever 2721 <gen> dies
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Trigger - Turn off (This trigger)
      • Destructible - Resurrect Foot Switch 2722 <gen> with (Max life of (Last created destructible)) life and Show birth animation
      • Destructible - Resurrect Foot Switch 2723 <gen> with (Max life of (Last created destructible)) life and Show birth animation
      • Destructible - Resurrect Foot Switch 2724 <gen> with (Max life of (Last created destructible)) life and Show birth animation
      • Destructible - Resurrect Foot Switch 2725 <gen> with (Max life of (Last created destructible)) life and Show birth animation
      • Destructible - Resurrect Foot Switch 2731 <gen> with (Max life of (Last created destructible)) life and Show birth animation
      • Trigger - Turn on Switch 1 Activate <gen>
      • Trigger - Turn on Switch 2 Activate <gen>
      • Trigger - Turn on Switch 3 Activate <gen>
      • Trigger - Turn on Switch 4 Activate <gen>
      • Trigger - Turn on Puzzle Trap <gen>
      • Trigger - Turn on Puzzle Reset <gen>
  • Reactivate Lever
    • Events
    • Conditions
      • And - All (Conditions) are true
        • Conditions
          • (Foot Switch 2722 <gen> is dead) Equal to True
          • (Foot Switch 2723 <gen> is dead) Equal to True
          • (Foot Switch 2724 <gen> is dead) Equal to True
          • (Foot Switch 2725 <gen> is dead) Equal to True
    • Actions
      • Destructible - Resurrect Lever 2721 <gen> with (Max life of (Last created destructible)) life and Show birth animation
  • Switch 1 Activate
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit enters Elevator Puzzle Switch 1 <gen>
    • Conditions
      • Or - Any (Conditions) are true
        • Conditions
          • (Unit-type of (Triggering unit)) Equal to Underworld Rager
          • (Unit-type of (Triggering unit)) Equal to Underworld Ghost
    • Actions
      • Destructible - Kill Foot Switch 2722 <gen>
      • Destructible - Set height of Elevator (2) 2689 <gen> to 3
      • Destructible - Set height of Elevator (2) 2696 <gen> to 1
      • Destructible - Set height of Elevator (2) 2699 <gen> to 3
      • Destructible - Set height of Elevator (2) 2695 <gen> to 1
      • Destructible - Set height of Elevator (2) 2700 <gen> to 3
      • Destructible - Set height of Elevator (2) 2702 <gen> to 3
      • Wait 1.50 seconds
      • Destructible - Open All walls of Elevator (2) 2689 <gen>
      • Destructible - Close All walls of Elevator (2) 2696 <gen>
      • Destructible - Open All walls of Elevator (2) 2699 <gen>
      • Destructible - Close All walls of Elevator (2) 2695 <gen>
      • Destructible - Open All walls of Elevator (2) 2702 <gen>
      • Destructible - Open All walls of Elevator (2) 2700 <gen>
      • Trigger - Run Reactivate Lever <gen> (checking conditions)
  • Switch 2 Activate
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit enters Elevator Puzzle Switch 2 <gen>
    • Conditions
        • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Destructible - Kill Foot Switch 2723 <gen>
      • Destructible - Set height of Elevator (2) 1649 <gen> to 3
      • Destructible - Set height of Elevator (2) 2703 <gen> to 1
      • Destructible - Set height of Elevator (2) 2695 <gen> to 3
      • Destructible - Set height of Elevator (2) 2701 <gen> to 1
      • Destructible - Set height of Elevator (2) 2689 <gen> to 3
      • Destructible - Set height of Elevator (2) 2704 <gen> to 1
      • Wait 1.50 seconds
      • Destructible - Open All walls of Elevator (2) 1649 <gen>
      • Destructible - Close All walls of Elevator (2) 2701 <gen>
      • Destructible - Open All walls of Elevator (2) 2695 <gen>
      • Destructible - Close All walls of Elevator (2) 2703 <gen>
      • Destructible - Open All walls of Elevator (2) 2689 <gen>
      • Destructible - Close All walls of Elevator (2) 2704 <gen>
  • Switch 3 Activate
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit enters Elevator Puzzle Switch 3 <gen>
    • Conditions
        • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Destructible - Kill Foot Switch 2724 <gen>
      • Destructible - Set height of Elevator (2) 2689 <gen> to 1
      • Destructible - Set height of Elevator (2) 2690 <gen> to 3
      • Destructible - Set height of Elevator (2) 2694 <gen> to 1
      • Destructible - Set height of Elevator (2) 2697 <gen> to 1
      • Destructible - Set height of Elevator (2) 2696 <gen> to 3
      • Destructible - Set height of Elevator (2) 2704 <gen> to 3
      • Wait 1.50 seconds
      • Destructible - Close All walls of Elevator (2) 2689 <gen>
      • Destructible - Open All walls of Elevator (2) 2690 <gen>
      • Destructible - Close All walls of Elevator (2) 2694 <gen>
      • Destructible - Close All walls of Elevator (2) 2697 <gen>
      • Destructible - Open All walls of Elevator (2) 2696 <gen>
      • Destructible - Open All walls of Elevator (2) 2704 <gen>
  • Switch 4 Activate
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit enters Elevator Puzzle Switch 4 <gen>
    • Conditions
        • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Destructible - Kill Foot Switch 2725 <gen>
      • Destructible - Set height of Elevator (2) 2688 <gen> to 1
      • Destructible - Set height of Elevator (2) 2702 <gen> to 1
      • Destructible - Set height of Elevator (2) 1649 <gen> to 1
      • Destructible - Set height of Elevator (2) 2692 <gen> to 3
      • Destructible - Set height of Elevator (2) 2693 <gen> to 3
      • Wait 1.50 seconds
      • Destructible - Close All walls of Elevator (2) 2688 <gen>
      • Destructible - Close All walls of Elevator (2) 1649 <gen>
      • Destructible - Open All walls of Elevator (2) 2692 <gen>
      • Destructible - Open All walls of Elevator (2) 2693 <gen>
      • Destructible - Close All walls of Elevator (2) 2702 <gen>
  • Complete Elevator Puzzle
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit enters Complete Temple Elevator Puzzle Zone <gen>
    • Conditions
        • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Destructible - Pick every destructible in Temple Elevator Puzzle Area <gen> and do (Destructible - Set height of (Picked destructible) to 3)
      • Wait 2.00 seconds
      • Destructible - Pick every destructible in Temple Elevator Puzzle Area <gen> and do (Destructible - Open All walls of (Picked destructible))
      • Trigger - Turn off Reactivate Lever <gen>
      • Trigger - Turn off Puzzle Reset <gen>
      • Trigger - Turn off Switch 1 Activate <gen>
      • Trigger - Turn off Switch 2 Activate <gen>
      • Trigger - Turn off Switch 3 Activate <gen>
      • Trigger - Turn off Switch 4 Activate <gen>
      • Destructible - Kill Lever 2721 <gen>
      • Destructible - Kill Foot Switch 2722 <gen>
      • Destructible - Kill Foot Switch 2723 <gen>
      • Destructible - Kill Foot Switch 2724 <gen>
      • Destructible - Kill Foot Switch 2725 <gen>
  • Puzzle Reset
    • Events
      • Destructible - Lever 2721 <gen> dies
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units in Temple Elevator Puzzle Area <gen>) and do (Unit - Move (Picked unit) instantly to (Center of Elevator Puzzle Telezone <gen>))
      • Special Effect - Create a special effect at (Center of Elevator Puzzle Telezone <gen>) using Abilities\Spells\Human\MassTeleport\MassTeleportCaster.mdl
      • Destructible - Resurrect Foot Switch 2722 <gen> with (Max life of (Last created destructible)) life and Show birth animation
      • Destructible - Resurrect Foot Switch 2723 <gen> with (Max life of (Last created destructible)) life and Show birth animation
      • Destructible - Resurrect Foot Switch 2724 <gen> with (Max life of (Last created destructible)) life and Show birth animation
      • Destructible - Resurrect Foot Switch 2725 <gen> with (Max life of (Last created destructible)) life and Show birth animation
      • Destructible - Pick every destructible in Temple Elevator Puzzle Area <gen> and do (Destructible - Set height of (Picked destructible) to 1)
      • Destructible - Pick every destructible in Temple Elevator Puzzle Area <gen> and do (Destructible - Close All walls of (Picked destructible))
      • Trigger - Turn on Switch 1 Activate <gen>
      • Trigger - Turn on Switch 2 Activate <gen>
      • Trigger - Turn on Switch 3 Activate <gen>
      • Trigger - Turn on Switch 4 Activate <gen>

The trigger I created to help you here are used by typing in "set cam to puzzle". You are already supplied with two heroes at the site with the switches close by.

Problem 3: This problem concerns spell learning. The Underworld Ghost, Laura, has a spell named Storm of the Damned. It used to work fine, but as with my other issues posted here, problems arose as the map-making progressed.
Now it's seemingly impossible to learn. If you click on it, a skill point is lost but the spell is not learned. You can waste 25 points (max level is 25) on it without any results.
One possible reason I considered was that the Ghost had a second spell based on Death and Decay (yes, both SotD and SF used Death and Decay as building ground), but for this version I deleted SF from the Ghost's list and it still didn't help.

I have not created any triggers to help here, since you do have 2 Ghosts on the map with enough points to see the problem.

Now, these are the biggest and most urgent issues with my map. There are a couple smaller ones, but I am for the moment confident in that I can handle those myself.

Also, if anyone gets the urge to test the map in its entirity, I will add the current version of the map (only thing missing is the final boss fight, polishing and a number of smaller issues).

Thanks on forehand.

Edit: The map files are uploaded now, I couldn't get them to show on my laptop, but my stationary computer is doing fine with them. Might be that I'm using an older version of the editor on the 'top.

Attachments

• Afterlife Bug-test version.w3x
    1 MB · Views: 93
  • Afterlife Current Version.w3x
    1 MB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Level 3
Wrong section...

Ah, I was wondering if this was the right place to post it. However, I did put in the problem with the spell. The spell is trigger-heavy, but I think the problem at its most basic is spell-related.

I'm also not 100% sure about how displaying a message every now and then would help (perhaps to check if it's answering?), but I'll test it and be back later.

Also, the map name is "Afterlife Bug-test Version" for the one I put together for you, and "Afterlife Current" for the current version. The shortest of the names are simply "Afterlife.w3x" though, that can't be too long, can it?

Edit: I tried renaming the bug-test map to "B", but it didn't seem to solve anything. I can hardly get a shorter name than that, so I don't think it's the problem. I also used the trigger you suggested, and it kept sending me the message while I tested the problems, so it seems the Editor is working as intended (at least mostly). When I get home again from school I will try moving the maps to my stationary computer and see if it works from there, I have a small hunch it might do something good.
I'll also be posting the elevator puzzle triggers in the meanwhile, just in case nothing works.

Last edited:
Level 9
for problem 1:
- check if you still had melee initialization trigger in your map, or
- try this
  • Setup
    • Events
      • Map initialization
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • AI - Ignore the guard positions of all Player 9 (Gray) units
for problem 2:
i tried to read through your trigger, and i thought that the problem is from something like this:
why? the Last Created Destructible is probably not referencing to any destructible, so it
will halt the progress of the trigger sequence, you probably need to refer it to the destructible itself...

as for problem 3:
i haven't open your map, but i want to ask if that SotD ability is really based on DnD or a Channel ability with DnD orderstring? or there might be a trigger that might do anything with the ability?

oh n btw, the file name doesn't do anything with what happen within the map itself, when the file names is too long, it will make your map unread on the map selection screen, that's all i guess...

hope it works...

Status
Not open for further replies.