• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

DUE JUSTICE! DoTA or LoL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
So here is the deal, I like LoL as much as most people, but my question to you is... where is the DoTA/DoTA2 thread...

I find this quite shocking, given that DoTA - The Original MoBA was created and originated from a Warcraft III custom map... knowing this, DoTA itself may deserve it's own thread, however it is not nearly as popular as it's successor DoTA 2, which does not have a thread either. I just noticed this as I started playing DoTA 2 a couple months ago... So... what do we do now?

Well, I hope none of you feel the need to turn this into a "DoTA SUCKS LOL FTW" war, because I respect this Hive Workshop community I would hate to think less of you respectable (hard to find) members of the internet. But, I do wish to know... which you like like better, (and most importantly) WHY?

Everyone has a preference, I would like to know why you like whichever one you do or what you like and don't like about both.

Level 12
which you like like better, (and most importantly) WHY?
I have only played 4 games of LoL or so, so I will refrain from judging its gameplay. Also my reasons are completely subjective to my personal experiences.

LoL:
-it was the first big money grabber giving money (and players/a fanbase) to people who (partially) not really deserve it
-it has Pendragon

DotA:
+well the gameplay. Highly strategical and team oriented.
+set in wc3 having its attributes and gameplay mechanics
+IceFrog/other map makers and a huge community have made DotA to what it is today and have shaped all successors to come. Being part of this was great.
•starts to live in the shadow of DotA 2 and wc3 has some limits hindering improvement in some areas, but oh well, thats life

DotA 2:
+IceFrog
+it is a true successor and plays quite similar
+Valve respecting the players more than other corporations (which leads to no pay-to-win, modding possibilities, etc)
-development speed in some areas is a joke. Of course releasing heroes and new content is in many ways a strategic decision but the development started in 2009 and now we just got the Workshop Tools alpha. alpha -.-

Last edited:
Level 9
We are currently discussing the implementation of a sub-forum dedicated to DotA 2. The main reason is, as you have said, the fact that it originates from a WarCraft III map and also the fact that you can modify the game (aka: modding).

Believe me this isn't rage or anything, and I made the title kind of misleading on purpose I guess :goblin_yeah: but, I don't really understand how DotA 2 originating from a Warcraft III map could be a hindrance on making it's own thread, plenty of user deveoped maps (2 Player Campaigns, etc.) have their own threads, i'm sure there is a reason, but could you perhaps elaborate more?

I have only played 4 games of LoL or so, so I will refrain from judging its gameplay. Also my reasons are completely subjective to my personal experiences.

LoL:
-it was the first big money grabber giving money (and players/a fanbase) to people who (partially) not really deserve it
-it has Pendragon

DotA:
+well the gameplay. Highly strategical and team oriented.
+set in wc3 having its attributes and gameplay mechanics
+IceFrog/other map makers and a huge community have made DotA to what it is today and have shaped all successors to come. Being part of this was great.
•starts to live in the shadow of DotA 2 and wc3 has some limits hindering improvement in some areas, but oh well, thats life

DotA 2:
+IceFrog
+it is a true successor and plays quite similar
+Valve respecting the players more than other corporations (which leads to no pay-to-win, modding possibilities, etc)
-development speed in some areas is a joke. Of course releasing heroes and new content is in many ways a strategic decision but the development started in 2009 and now we just got the Workshop Tools alpha. alpha -.-

I like DotA attributes as well, but as you said, the production speed is quite slow...

However, with LoL I would agree there is a big push and desire to spend real money, however it is not something that is required to play... With that in mind, I would like to point out how rewarding it is in DotA 2, to receive equipment after a game, I read how the system works though and it chooses players at random to reward *unless you are going up a level* in which case i've had many games i've done very well, and an afk member gets the reward, oh well.

Thanks for replying, I'm hoping for much more discussion!

Last edited:
Level 14
I don't think DotA vs LOL is a healthy subject.

I actually think both games are good and require different types of skill. While DotA requires more last hitting and team-comp skills, LOL requires more individual skill at using the champion and offers more flashy plays.

Level 9
I don't think DotA vs LOL is a healthy subject.

I actually think both games are good and require different types of skill. While DotA requires more last hitting and team-comp skills, LOL requires more individual skill at using the champion and offers more flashy plays.

^^this I one hundred percent agree...

Which is why I was asking why, everyone has the pref, for example I think I like DoTA more for the team comp requirement, however if i'm getting mad at sucky teams I usually swap over to lol :p

Zed

Zed

Level 7
Where is the money in that? o.oYou mean LoL is P2W?
Just curious.
No, they think its Pay to win, because of the runes that gives that champion a little stat boost. That gives a little win rate.

Level 6
Whats the problem in LoL is..

- You need to PAY in order to play the hero you want. Well there are just assigned free heroes every week. There are lots of heroes but if the hero you want is not freely available you need to pay with is really discouraging..

- In dota 2 you can access all heroes anytime.. which is good.

- In LoL... when you make mistakes its ok. Which is really friendly..
- In dota 2... when you make mistakes then better to mute your chat or prepared to hear.. WTF YOUR NOOB QUIT DOTA PLEASE!...

- In terms of hero its easy to learn in LoL... first time i played in LoL i already got a TRIPLE KILL with wukong..
- In Dota it took me 5 months to get a double kill... really hard...

Actually the main description for those games are..

LOL - Is for players who wants less intense gameplay and less mistake punishment game.
DOTA - Is for players who wants intense and high skill gameplay and really unfriendly punishment for mistakes.

This is the reason why... they said.. LOL is FOR BABIES and DOTA is for ADULTS... (but for me both of them are for teenagers)

Level 21
Which is why there are free rotations^^

Overall I don't have much to add to this topic. I've mostly played LoL and not much DotA(2).
What I really like about LoL is that if you are truly good you can carry the game heavily.
In DotA I like that there's so many choices about which way to improve your hero, whereas in LoL(ironically) there are very few. For many heroes it's just straight up damage, whichever attributes it derives from.

I believe this difference comes from poorly balanced "freedom" in LoL and overall little focus on actually playing good. The design direction for LoL has been largely on making matches that are fun to watch and thus, the losing team usually get a scaling advantage(why super minions give more gold, for example), while the winning team has a straight up power advantage.
In Dota(2) then again every mistake is penalized much harsher(you lose gold too upon death), but if you succeed then your position will also be considerably harder to topple.
I could say that LoL is more of a power grab, while DotA(2) is more about avoiding mistakes of any kind. Surely both are important in both games, but this is a difference in focus.

I don't really like DotA(2) as much as LoL, but this is my personal preference due to DotA(2) not holding anyone's hand(even a new player's, such as me).

Level 12
Where is the money in that? o.oYou mean LoL is P2W?
Just curious.

What do you mean with "Where is the money in that?"?

No I don't mean LoL is pay to win, I heard once that you can pay for things that can also be used after some playtime though. I was just talking about DotA 2 there.

Level 6
What do you mean with "Where is the money in that?"?

No I don't mean LoL is pay to win, I heard once that you can pay for things that can also be used after some playtime though. I was just talking about DotA 2 there.

Only cosmetics can be bought in Dota 2... but cosmetics can't affect your winning or lossing.. IT AFFECTS 0%... Well maybe it can affect... well you bought a cosmetics that cost 39 dollars and you just let yourself losing?.. THE HELL NO!...

Btw back to the topic...

It is really weird cause two people can have the same hero.

Level 4
DOTA - Is for players who wants intense and high skill gameplay and really unfriendly punishment for mistakes.

High Skill? In what? DotA is much more strategical and team-oriented than LoL, it's obvious, but Champions are harder to play than Heroes. In the case you haven't notice ~90% of DotA's Hero pool are right-click braindead heroes. And most of them have 1 or 2 passive abilities. Even 3... (Leoric FTW)

I've played DotA since Guinsoo was developing it, knowing DotA's mech is nothing easy but it's not something like "My first double kill was after 2 months I started to play DotA" That's stupid. Since the first time I played I've had good games (many double, triple kills) and bad games, but learning how to play DotA doesn't take so much time as you are exaggerating.

Level 6
High Skill? In what? DotA is much more strategical and team-oriented than LoL, it's obvious, but Champions are harder to play than Heroes. In the case you haven't notice ~90% of DotA's Hero pool are right-click braindead heroes. And most of them have 1 or 2 passive abilities. Even 3... (Leoric FTW)

I've played DotA since Guinsoo was developing it, knowing DotA's mech is nothing easy but it's not something like "My first double kill was after 2 months I started to play DotA" That's stupid. Since the first time I played I've had good games (many double, triple kills) and bad games, but learning how to play DotA doesn't take so much time as you are exaggerating.

Actually it takes me 1 game in LoL to own the enemy. I find really easy playing LoL. Actually I got a triple kill in my wukong in the early game and end my first game around 25 minutes.

Ok my mistake. Let me rephrase. DOTA Heroes are harder to play than LOL champions. Why?.. because of the f@#*ng GOLD PUNISHMENT and DENIES and LONG COOLDOWNS!... Whereas in LoL.. you can easily farm and don't lose gold.

So DOTA is harder than LoL because little mistakes can punish you a lot while in LoL it is not much. So both of them had good gameplay but Dota is bad at learning curve. (This is what IGN said in their review)

Off topic: Lol... the first game I played in warcraft is DOTA. So it takes 2 months since I spend almost 3 hours a week when I play..(focus on school)

Level 4
Actually it takes me 1 game in LoL to own the enemy. I find really easy playing LoL. Actually I got a triple kill in my wukong in the early game and end my first game around 25 minutes.

Ok my mistake. Let me rephrase. DOTA Heroes are harder to play than LOL champions. Why?.. because of the f@#*ng GOLD PUNISHMENT and DENIES and LONG COOLDOWNS!... Whereas in LoL.. you can easily farm and don't lose gold.

So DOTA is harder than LoL because little mistakes can punish you a lot while in LoL it is not much. So both of them had good gameplay but Dota is bad at learning curve. (This is what IGN said in their review)

Off topic: Lol... the first game I played in warcraft is DOTA. So it takes 2 months since I spend almost 3 hours a week when I play..(focus on school)

Don't compare mechanism with heroes. DotA mechanism is much harder and complex than LoL's but DotA heroes are too easy to play. Farming system has nothing to do with how hard or easy can you play a hero. Also in both games you can get a great punishment, In DotA denying is a must to win the lane, while in LoL you have to harass or ask for a gank. That's why in DotA cooldowns are higher and heroes cannot spam their skill due to their low mana and high manacost. Also, in LoL losing a teamfight at min 30 is almost a "must surrender now" because you'll probably (90%) lose the match, while in DotA there's fortification and buyback so you have another oportunity to defend until fortification is off-cd or go roshan to get aegis and then get a higher prob. to win the next tf. Anyway, learning how to play DotA still not taking that time, the first time you play is kinda hard because you don't know how armor and damage work, turning rate, damage point/attack backswing, etc... But it is learned as long as you're playing. It took me less then 1 month to learn how to play DotA when I was a kid (11 y/o) and then I stopped playing for some years and I started to play again. LoL was pretty easy to me, I started to play LoL in feb of this year and I liked it much more than DotA / DotA 2. Not because it's easy to play, mostly because I like skills, effects, cosmetics, arts, etc... While DotA 2 is focusing on marketing instead of the game itself (It will end like TF2, a good game that became shitty just because valve got more interested on selling hats than improving TF2's gameplay) and well. :p

Level 6
Don't compare mechanism with heroes. DotA mechanism is much harder and complex than LoL's but DotA heroes are too easy to play. Farming system has nothing to do with how hard or easy can you play a hero. Also in both games you can get a great punishment, In DotA denying is a must to win the lane, while in LoL you have to harass or ask for a gank. That's why in DotA cooldowns are higher and heroes cannot spam their skill due to their low mana and high manacost. Also, in LoL losing a teamfight at min 30 is almost a "must surrender now" because you'll probably (90%) lose the match, while in DotA there's fortification and buyback so you have another oportunity to defend until fortification is off-cd or go roshan to get aegis and then get a higher prob. to win the next tf. Anyway, learning how to play DotA still not taking that time, the first time you play is kinda hard because you don't know how armor and damage work, turning rate, damage point/attack backswing, etc... But it is learned as long as you're playing. It took me less then 1 month to learn how to play DotA when I was a kid (11 y/o) and then I stopped playing for some years and I started to play again. LoL was pretty easy to me, I started to play LoL in feb of this year and I liked it much more than DotA / DotA 2. Not because it's easy to play, mostly because I like skills, effects, cosmetics, arts, etc... While DotA 2 is focusing on marketing instead of the game itself (It will end like TF2, a good game that became shitty just because valve got more interested on selling hats than improving TF2's gameplay) and well. :p

Actually your wrong. Riot is more focus in money than dota. First of all not all heroes are playable in LoL you need to buy them. And new heroes are expensive while in Dota 2 all heroes are available and no money required, you can try out immediately new heroes. Also cosmetic doesn't affect the gameplay of the dota 2 even in the smallest way. You can be the best in dota 2 without spending MONEY...

Well if you like the graphics of LoL i will not argue with that cause i dont want to insult you.

Another one. I hate LoL because it still using the old way of finding a match.
You need to wait almost an hour just to play a full 5 vs 5 human players. Whereas in dota 2 just wait 1-2 minutes then you can play with 5 vs 5.

Well this is not a problem really but LoL is kinda RPG. Levels creates an advantage. The more level you have the more you can unlock runes, etc. So you need to spend time in order to compete with high level players which create a time spent than skill.

^Players are most likely matched based on level and W/L rates, so spending time is not much of a problem.
You need to wait almost an hour just to play a full 5 vs 5 human players.
..Are you using Team Builder in PH? Because Normal matches in PH take around 30s. TB I'm not sure, I left the server before it was implemented.

Level 4
Actually your wrong. Riot is more focus in money than dota. First of all not all heroes are playable in LoL you need to buy them. And new heroes are expensive while in Dota 2 all heroes are available and no money required, you can try out immediately new heroes. Also cosmetic doesn't affect the gameplay of the dota 2 even in the smallest way. You can be the best in dota 2 without spending MONEY...

Well if you like the graphics of LoL i will not argue with that cause i dont want to insult you.

Another one. I hate LoL because it still using the old way of finding a match.
You need to wait almost an hour just to play a full 5 vs 5 human players. Whereas in dota 2 just wait 1-2 minutes then you can play with 5 vs 5.

Well this is not a problem really but LoL is kinda RPG. Levels creates an advantage. The more level you have the more you can unlock runes, etc. So you need to spend time in order to compete with high level players which create a time spent than skill.

You are so wrong in multiple ways.

First of all, Steam is fuking focused in money. That has been like that since ALWAYS. The only shit Steam wants is money money money and money. Yes, you don't need to spent money in DotA, it's your problem if you want in LoL. Finding match in LoL doesn't take more than 1 minut, I've played lol since feb and the longest time I had to wait was 3 minutes, it usually takes 30 seconds ~ 1:30 minutes. Also, Insulting for graphics? Bitch please, only a retarded ratboy insults a person for playing a game with worse graphics. Graphics don't make the game better, If that's so, then HoN is 999% better than DotA in your logic. And what's the problem with having to unlock champions? It's just a way to prevent noobs for playing complex champions. In difference to DotA, any noob can play Invoker and feed the game 'cuz he's a retarded noob. You can also be a professional player in LoL without spening money, It's your problem if you want to waste real money in a online game like DotA 2 players with the Compendium. $1.8m given by valve and ~$8.2m give bu users that wasted $10 dollars in an online book. LOL. Better cut your fingers before judging another game when the game you play can have worse aspects. Specially with those $100-$300 useless cosmetics. (Kunkka's Shadow Blade, Dendi's Hook, what a scam!)

Level 6
WATAFAK!... i didn't even argue about the graphics cause i don't want to insult you cause graphics are less better than gameplay so dont talk with me about graphics cause its a useless part of the debate and i dont want to rage a war just because of graphics..

Well... in the country like Philippines its very hard to find a match within 1-3 minutes especially if your just starting cause you get kicked out of the lobby unlike dota 2 even if there are no players nearby you can find it on the other nearby countries without even suffering discrimination. I experience that when i joined a lobby they kicked me cause i am new and took for 30 minutes just to find one and i need to type "please let me join in".. thats a pain in the ass...

It is just a way to prevent noobs. Really?.. well do you think you can play a champion and instantly become an expert just playing it once?.. of course at first your noob cause your training and your motivated to play it again and again to be expert so it is good if you can avail a champion in order to be played and trained with it. Actually this feature hinder the freedom of LoL players and I will not request to remove this one cause I know Riot Games gain more money this kind of way and it is important for them.

COMPENDIUM?.. Well did the valve ask you to buy compendium? No! its up to you!...

Well Dota 2 players wasted the money in a COMPENDIUM your right and it just like wasting money in buying LoL champions but at the end you didn't like it.

OFF-TOPIC. BTW. Both of them are good games and it is no doubt and LoL is better than Dota 2 in terms of players but well WHAT THE HECK I LIKE DEBATES! that is my specialty so come on debate and have fun with me!

Here.

Attachments

• LoL.png
    LoL.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 193

Zed

Zed

Level 7
You can just play and earn Influence Points (IP) rather than buying Riot Points (RP).
Here's a advice, if you reach Level 30 you should start playing ranked games, Playing against other people who are greater than you, gives a lot experience and skill.

Level 6
Please defend this one... I need some clarifications,,,

comment from some arguments...
true, rumble "overheats" but most manaless champs are just stupid with 40% cdr (ap rengar sound familiar? what about super harass renekton? spin jesus garen?)

plus making ad/ap scale with spells is even worse cos now you got even just ONE spell that can have the same damage as an ult.
yeah---unbalanced is the word. And there are more targetted spells than actual skill shots so it makes it more unbalanced because it's more likely to hit.

You can sugar-coat LoL as much as you want but you cannot deny the fact that it is a spoonfed version of DotA.

Okay.
true, rumble "overheats" but most manaless champs are just stupid with 40% cdr (ap rengar sound familiar? what about super harass renekton? spin jesus garen?)
I don't really get it, but Renekton and Garen don't scale too well into the late game. Well protected ADCs can kill them.

To me it seems that the person is just envious that LoL has CDR in the first place.
plus making ad/ap scale with spells is even worse cos now you got even just ONE spell that can have the same damage as an ult.
As an ult? Where? In DotA? Yeah. Nearly nothing skill wise scales there, so why compare? There are health scales in LoL for tanks. Build health and resistances to negate loads of AP/AD. (To note, there is hardly magic resistance at all in DotA - and in LoL, you can get a lot.)

And there are more targeted spells than actual skill shots so it makes it more unbalanced because it's more likely to hit.
How related is imbalance to skillshots? "If everyone has less skillshots then everyone is balanced" - that makes a little sense.

Also, it might be true that LoL has more targeted spells than DotA, but DotA has a lot more passives. Quote from Zileas;
Power Without Gameplay
This is when we give a big benefit in a way that players don't find satisfying or don't notice. The classic example of this is team benefit Auras. In general, other players don't value the aura you give them very much, and you don't value it much either -- even though auras can win games. As a REALLY general example, I would say that players value a +50 armor aura only about twice as much as a +10 armor aura... Even though +50 is 5x better. Another example would be comparing a +10 damage aura to a skill that every 10 seconds gives flaming weapons that make +30 damage to all teammates next attack (with fire and explosions!). I am pretty sure that most players are WAY more excited about the fiery weapons buff, even though the strength is lower overall.

The problem with using a "power without gameplay" mechanic is that you tend to have to 'over-buff' the mechanic and create a game balance problem before people appreciate it. As a result, we tend to keep Auras weak, and/or avoid them altogether, and/or pair them on an active/passive where the active is very strong and satisfying, so that the passive is more strategic around character choice. For example, Sona's auras are all quite weak -- because at weak values they ARE appreciated properly.

You can sugar-coat LoL as much as you want but you cannot deny the fact that it is a spoonfed version of DotA.
Not in all ways.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Dota copies LoL:
1. Dota 2 has heroes.
2. Dota 2 has items.
3. Dota 2 is 3D.
4. Dota 2 is online game.
5. Dota 2 is MOBA.
6. Dota 2 has 2 teams against each other.
7. Dota 2 has launcher.
8. Dota 2 has forums.
9. Dota 2 has abilities.
10. Dota 2 has a shop.
11. Dota 2 has potions.
12. Dota 2 has plenty of hero stats (movement, dmg, dmg rate, defense etc.)
13. Dota 2 has spectator mode.
14. Dota 2 has leagues.

So Dota 2 outright copies LoL in every possible way!! OMFG we should just sue Valve.

Zed

Zed

Level 7
Dota 2 couldn't make new roles, unlike LoL they created the role ''Jungler.''
LoL has a originality.
In Dota 2, Valve is focused too much in money and not in gameplay.(Imagine Necrophos' Heartstopper Aura that deals 1.5% max hp per second.)
In LoL, Riot is focused on the gameplay and balances.

Level 21
Dota 2 couldn't make new roles, unlike LoL they created the role ''Jungler.''
LoL has a originality.
In Dota 2, Valve is focused too much in money and not in gameplay.(Imagine Necrophos' Heartstopper Aura that deals 1.5% max hp per second.)
In LoL, Riot is focused on the gameplay and balances.
The jungler role also exists in dota. Think of heroes like Chen.
Originality is subjective. Dota has a lot of originality too and dota2 is meant to be a copy of it on a more workable platform.
I'd say the gameplay part is actually better in this case. In LoL they constantly talk about "meaningful counterplay" and "emphasizing the strengths and weaknesses" of champions, but in dota those things are actually real, instead of just a thing to talk about.
Dota also has constant balance patches. They happen even more often than in LoL as far as I've seen.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

hard counters suck ass imo

also you couldn't deny my point

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

First, you talked about Dota 2, now you're talking about Dota 1??

Dota 2 was after LoL, you can't deny that.

And just because it has "Dota" in its name doesn't mean it's a sequel to Dota 1, it's made by Valve not its original creator team.

And just so you know, there has been original creators of Dota 1 in LoL.

I hate it when Dota 2 fans don't do their research first...

Level 21
First, you talked about Dota 2, now you're talking about Dota 1??

Dota 2 was after LoL, you can't deny that.

And just because it has "Dota" in its name doesn't mean it's a sequel to Dota 1, it's made by Valve not its original creator team.

And just so you know, there has been original creators of Dota 1 in LoL.

I hate it when Dota 2 fans don't do their research first...

Dota2 is based on dota. It's a COPY.
And yes, it is a sequel. IceFrog still works on it in valve. The original owner, Eul, is not in either LoL or Valve.
I feel you're just a troll, so I will ignore your further posts.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Yes I like posting lulzy stuff.

But I make serious stuff too, for example the spells I've uploaded here, and the JASS tutorial too :p

Level 21
Yes I like posting lulzy stuff.

But I make serious stuff too, for example the spells I've uploaded here, and the JASS tutorial too :p

I recommend switching to devil's advocate if you want to have fun. Then you can be both annoying and constructive at the same time.
Posting things that are simply wrong is not nearly as interesting as infuriating people with things that are true.

Level 4
Dota2 is based on dota. It's a COPY.
And yes, it is a sequel. IceFrog still works on it in valve. The original owner, Eul, is not in either LoL or Valve.

Eul created DotA, yes. After Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne was released he didn't updated it. Instead, Guinsoo did it. After some years, Guinsoo left the map to IceFrog (~2005 iirc) and he started to work at Riot Game after some time. Neither LoL nor DotA 2 is not a copy of DotA, just another MOBA (or whatever you want to call it). In your logic, DotA is a copy of AoS since DotA was based in that SC map? c'mon please. Also, DotA 2 is not a sequel, is the same shit with updated graphics, DotA was just a Warcraft III: TFT's Map, now it's a game. And it's not a sequel because it doesn't even fit the meaning of sequel. It's just DotA updated into a new game with the same heroes, same items, better graphics, worse matchmaking, more cosmetics, etc...

Level 21
Between my previous post and this I've thought more deeply about the origins of dota and although I still think that dota2 is a sequel to dota, I believe taking that name is infringing, because IceFrog only maintained dota. He wasn't the original creator and thus it's arrogant to act as if he owned the original map all along.

Status
Not open for further replies.