• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Solved] Drums of War

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
So I've made a Kodo Rider hero with the ability to switch between two different auras with the Bear Form ability.

There are two versions of the hero, one with a Command Aura and the other with Devotion Aura.

Both auras are unit abilities with 10 levels each and the Bear Form ability is the levelable hero ability that has 10 levels as well.

What I'm stuck on at the moment is to have the different auras level up, increasing their effects as the hero levels up the Bear Form ability. This would have to be MUI.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Level 21
in this thread, the last guy says that the tinker morph spell doesn't automatically give the morphed unit the same spells. so if this works then you could just have the first aura be a regular aura w 10 levels, then have each level of morph have it's own new version of the second aura that fits your specifications. and bc this is all in the OE you probably don't have to worry about MUI.

Level 3
So what you're saying is that I create 20 versions of the same hero, all of them with a different level of the aura ability already learnt?

It is a solution, definitely, but it will clog up the editor something mighty.

Level 21
no. 11:gg:- the first aura is just a normal ability with 10 levels. And if your'e afraid about file size you can delete some of the blizzard campaign heroes you aren't using. I'm pretty sure many maps use loads of custom units and it doesn't really have such a negative effect on performance. I think things like leaks and large imported files are more of an issue.

Last edited:
Level 3
Sorry but I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this idea. Am I missing something?

So far the Drums of War (Bear Form) is the hero ability that switches between the different versions of the same hero, one with a modified Command Aura and the other with Devotion Aura.

I assume we're both trying to make it so that whenever the Drums of War ability is leveled up the auras will automatically level with it regardless of whichever version of the hero is currently active?

Level 21
afaik, most morph abilities transfer the abilities with them, so it wouldn't matter which abilities you give the second form, it would automatically change to have the same abilities as the first form when you morph it. that's no good, bc you want them to have seperate ability sets. if tinkers morph doesn't do that, than you should base your ability off of that (unless bear form is already like that and then kudos to you).

what I understood is that form A has command aura, and form B has devotion aura. for the command aura - create a command aura spell with 10 levels. if you want the hero to learn this individually, than just have it be acquired normally. if you want it to be learned as part of the "drums of war" ability than trigger it so that whenever the hero gains a new level of drums of war - he automatically gains a level in command aura.

as for the devotion aura this part is a little trickier bc it's happening to the morphed form and not to the original unit. my suggestion was to have 10 different morph forms (based on tinker morph, or any morph that does not transfer and overwrite abilities), each subsequent one with a higher level version of devotion aura.

a different approach for the devotion aura, would be to trigger it so that when a unit morphs - you take away it's command aura and give it that level of devotion aura, and when it morphs back vice versa. the reason I suggested this second is bc - a. I personally like staying within the confines of the object editor when possible (not necessarily justified) to avoid bugs and MUI problems, and b. from my (limited) experience targeting units while they are in the process of morphing is a major pain...

gl!

Level 3
Oh, I see! Thanks for clarifying it to me. I'll give that a go and let you know how it turns out when I've stress tested it.

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
You can simply add/remove the Aura abilities with triggers upon morphing. You don't even NEED it to be a Morph effect to work, but I assume you want to Morph it for other reasons besides just the Aura changing.

Then set the level of these Auras to be equal to the level of your Morph ability.

Level 3
The morph would be exclusively to switch between the different auras, you are correct on that. Both forms would be identical except for that minor detail.

But with your idea I could use the Channel ability as a dummy for the hero to level up and trigger the switch, is what you're saying? That could potentially save a lot time on my end.

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
  • Kodo Beast Switch Auras
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Switch Auras
    • Actions
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • (Level of Command Aura (Kodo) for (Triggering unit)) Greater than 0
        • Then - Actions
          • Unit - Remove Command Aura (Kodo) from (Triggering unit)
          • Unit - Add Devotion Aura (Kodo) to (Triggering unit)
          • Unit - Set level of Devotion Aura (Kodo) for (Triggering unit) to (Level of Switch Auras for (Triggering unit))
        • Else - Actions
            • If - Conditions
              • (Level of Devotion Aura (Kodo) for (Triggering unit)) Greater than 0
            • Then - Actions
              • Unit - Remove Devotion Aura (Kodo) from (Triggering unit)
              • Unit - Add Command Aura (Kodo) to (Triggering unit)
              • Unit - Set level of Command Aura (Kodo) for (Triggering unit) to (Level of Switch Auras for (Triggering unit))
            • Else - Actions
  • Kodo Beast Update Level
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Learns a skill
    • Conditions
      • (Learned Hero Skill) Equal to Switch Auras
    • Actions
        • If - Conditions
        • Then - Actions
          • Unit - Set level of Command Aura (Kodo) for (Triggering unit) to (Level of Switch Auras for (Triggering unit))
        • Else - Actions
            • If - Conditions
            • Then - Actions
              • Unit - Set level of Devotion Aura (Kodo) for (Triggering unit) to (Level of Switch Auras for (Triggering unit))
            • Else - Actions
I gave the Hero Command Aura by default. If you don't want the Hero to start out with Command Aura, you can modify the Update Level trigger to add it like so:
  • Kodo Beast Update Level Other
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Learns a skill
    • Conditions
      • (Learned Hero Skill) Equal to Switch Auras
    • Actions
        • If - Conditions
          • (Level of Switch Auras for (Triggering unit)) Equal to 1
        • Then - Actions
          • Unit - Add Command Aura (Kodo) to (Triggering unit)
        • Else - Actions
        • If - Conditions
        • Then - Actions
        • Else - Actions
            • If - Conditions
            • Then - Actions
            • Else - Actions

Level 3
@Uncle Thank you for that. It's working exactly as intended as far as I can tell.

@Ender Wiggins Apologies for not clarifying that sooner, I got lost in the details and forgot to mention it sooner. Thank you all the same, your time and effort's greatly appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.