• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Old map : why are some multi-level auras triggered ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Hello,

I restarted developments from an old map (namely X Hero Siege 3.33).

I noticed something strange in this map.

The following auras:
- Aura of Blight
- Command aura
- Life Regeneration Aura
- War Drums Aura

That are all coded the a strange way, always the same :
- A "dummy" hero ability with 4 levels (just tooltips)
- 4 aura unit skills (with aura attributes: dataA1, Area1, targs1... & tooltip), 1 per level
- 1 trigger executed when hero learns a skill = the "dummy" ability, unlearns the unit skill of level N-1 and learns unit skill of level N with a MakeAbilityPermanent.

Any idea of why not just a simple 4levels hero aura skill ???

Was it necessary by the past ? For example because the ability was not levelable ?
Is it still necessary or can I clean it ?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Maybe this is related to the old bug that caused auras to flicker on/off very quickly?

Either that or it is some attempt at bypassing aura stacking limitations. Or maybe for some of the auras it was needed since they lacked command card icons (like healing fountain based ones) or they combined multiple different auras. It could even be micro-optimization by the developer which just does not make sense.

Level 12
Maybe this is related to the old bug that caused auras to flicker on/off very quickly?

Either that or it is some attempt at bypassing aura stacking limitations. Or maybe for some of the auras it was needed since they lacked command card icons (like healing fountain based ones) or they combined multiple different auras. It could even be micro-optimization by the developer which just does not make sense.

Thanks for the answer !

- I never heard about the flickering bug. It has been fixed for a long time ?
- About stack limitation, the 4 unit abilities of each aura use the single & same buff. So I don't think so, no ?
- About card icon, it's the icon in the ability 4x3 table at the bottom right, isn't it ? I do'nt know about the others but Command Aura for example has it. The only auras I know that doesn't have it are Tornado Slow aura & Healing Aura (fountain).

- Also each aura seems separated (the 4 unit skills are exactly the same, just the DataA1 value increases)
- About micro-optimization I don't understand what you mean ^^

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
- I never heard about the flickering bug. It has been fixed for a long time ?
No idea. But basically the result was that at a seemingly random interval units emitting command aura would lose the aura briefly and then soon after reactivate it.
- About card icon, it's the icon in the ability 4x3 table at the bottom right, isn't it ? I do'nt know about the others but Command Aura for example has it. The only aura I know that doesn't have it is Tornado Slow aura.
Someone who did not understand this might have copied the same template for many auras and not just the ones that needed it.
- About micro-optimization I don't understand what you mean ^^
A person might have thought that doing auras this way improved some aspect of performance. If performance actually improved as a result was likely never measured and at best would be insignificant.

Level 12
No idea. But basically the result was that at a seemingly random interval units emitting command aura would lose the aura briefly and then soon after reactivate it.

Someone who did not understand this might have copied the same template for many auras and not just the ones that needed it.

A person might have thought that doing auras this way improved some aspect of performance. If performance actually improved as a result was likely never measured and at best would be insignificant.

Thanks Pal !
I see, so I'll try to replace by a normal aura ability without trigger & see with a few tests with paying attention if I've flickering/stacking/card icon issues :)

Status
Not open for further replies.