• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Do you think PC will 'run out of games'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Do you think that PC will run out of companies that would produce games for this platform. I personally think that might happen quite soon, piracy and many other factors are making companies turn to Consoles (PS & Xbox).

PC it self is not made to play games on (but you can) but still the gaming world is advancing too slow because of the limits of consoles. Everything is better on PC, I even hate the controler's so why do people buy consoles and play games on consoles is my main question... I know that a good gaming PC is expensive but you can get a decent enough PC for the same amount you pay for a current gen Console... games are also cheaper for PC.

Can anyone explain please...

Level 21
Consoles can not yet beat PCs in functionality. When that happens all PCs become obsolete, not just gaming ones.

I think in the farther future it might even happen that all non-portable computers become obsolete, except for servers.
You'd be able to have the power of a dedicated gaming PC in a device such as your phone.

I'm fairly certain that will happen someday, as it has already happened once - When microchips were first made, then computers turned from being room-sized and house-sized to being about a cubic meter.

I personally think that might happen quite soon, piracy and many other factors are making companies turn to Consoles (PS & Xbox).
What "many other factors"?
Also, piracy is irrelevant to any free-to-play games, which are quite popular on PC these days.

Consoles can not yet beat PCs in functionality. When that happens all PCs become obsolete, not just gaming ones.
You speak as if that could ever happen.
Computers have by definition more functionality than consoles.

I hate console games.
In my opinion PC is the best thing to play a game.
I don't think companies will stop creating PC games.
I hate console games too, as if you want a remote to play you can surely get it at the nearest PC store. I personaly doubt that consoles will ever overtake our modern/ancient computers :at: .

Level 21
You speak as if that could ever happen.
Computers have by definition more functionality than consoles.

Yes and servers have more functionality and power than PCs. Yet, we don't see everyone buying only servers.

After some point the extra power/functionalty becomes so irrelevant, that it's not worth the price. This is when the computers get smaller.

Level 34
World of Warcraft. 10 million players.
League of Legends. 32 million players.

PC dying? Good one.

I hate console games.
In my opinion PC is the best thing to play a game.
I don't think companies will stop creating PC games.

You hate them? Why would you hate them? There is nothing wrong with console games. There are plenty of good games on consoles and video games that you play in your house all have their roots in consoles.
There are several console exclusive games that are extremely good.
The most recent of these that I've played is The Last of Us. (PS3 exclusive) Go look it up, its got pretty much perfect reviews from everyone, including me.

As for my opinion on the future of PC gaming, I think eventually all gaming will be merged onto one platform.
A portable screen that you can hook up whatever controller you want to.
And after that, we go virtual reality.

Level 37
You think so?

attachment.php

Attachments

• url.jpg
    url.jpg
    313.1 KB · Views: 162
Level 14
PC is a strong platform. Keyboard and mouse allows for real time strategy games to be played. However I do believe that the major companies are looking into ways of either move away from the PC platform onto consoles, or having F2P model games on PC, in an attempt to fight against piracy.

Level 24
I do not see any reason why the PC would run out of games since the PC isn't loosing player base but since the Xbox One a lot of Xbox fans has actually turned to PC gaming.

Level 14
I do not see any reason why the PC would run out of games since the PC isn't loosing player base but since the Xbox One a lot of Xbox fans has actually turned to PC gaming.

PC's are more complicated to make. My rl friend had a PC since he was 8 years old (he is now 25). He can't make his own PC. His PSU is dieing, doing tons of noise, doesn't know how to replace that.

So in other words, people would buy consoles just because it's easier to set-up. You need to have some basic understandings to buy a good gaming PC for 500$. Consoles are 400-500$.

Level 24
Yes that's the point a PC is much more rewarding if you know how to handle it and if you want to keep the newest games on a console you need to buy a new 500$ console every 3 - 4 years while with a PC you need to buy a new computer every 8-10 years and OS for a computer is rarely needed I've been using XP now since the year it came out and it's working more than fine and games are still being made to suit XP since it's so widely used.

Level 24
Yes I can understand that clearly and if you want to buy a console by all means buy all three new consoles if you wish it's your money and you choose what's worth money too you no one else.

Level 14
You said you don't understand why the PC would run out of games. And there is a reason. The reason is having a PC is complicated, and for the majority of people who want to avoid complicated stuff, they will get a console. So in time, there will be more people owning consoles for gaming, than PCs, because consoles are cheaper and easier to set up.

Level 24
Yet it still has such a high player base that to stop producing games for the PC would only cost the producers money.

Level 14
Yes, but in time, because of iphone and tablets, people who will want to invest in gaming, will get a console not a PC. But that's for at least 20 years time.

Level 24
You know that's funny because people said the same thing about laptops but they never replaced stationary computers.

Level 21
as long as blizzard and electronic arts still exist there will still be pc games produced. blizzard will be releasing diablo 3 on consoles but it was released on pc first. first person shooters works best with a keyboard and very few consoles support that for gaming. strategy games works best with a mouse but modern consoles dont seem to support that.(super nintendo, playstation 1 and 2 did.) the playstation 3 have full internet functionality but it cant write the last digit in authentication codes on certain download sites.

Level 24
I think that FPS games are better on consoles, I still remember playing Star Wars Battlefront II on my PS2. Good old times.

Last edited:
Level 23
as long as blizzard and electronic arts still exist there will still be pc games produced

yes, we will end on World of Warcraft expansion pack 21, diablo 6, starcraft 4 expansion pack 8, FIFA 58, NHL 58, NBA 58 ....

They are not making that much games, mainly blizzard is only updating their shit

The real power is in Indie developers, and thanks to steam there is no need to pay for publishing etc because you can publish your games on steam for a small cut

Level 24
Well I'm excited about HearthStone: Heroes of WarCraft which will probably end up being the only Blizzard game I'll play.

Level 24
Actually HearthStone has not been planned to be released to any console but only PC and IPads and it's completely f2p and it's a CARD GAME so I'm excited.

Status
Not open for further replies.