• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Diablo 3 was setup to be a console game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 37
The reason only 4 players are allowed into a game is for 4 controllers.

The reason the quests make you walk in a linear closed circuit as opposed to big open worlds, is to keep your buds next to you on the same screen.

The reason for no skill points or complicated number crunching? To make console players happy.

The reason you have 4-5 skills on your bar at once? Very easy to use an Xbox/Ps3 controller to use skills.

The reason no runes / complicated item mechanics exists. Simply wouldn't be fun for console gamers.

The reason you can't host a named game? Auto join for console users.

The reason for achievements in game? It's popular among console / COD fans.

The reason for passive skills? Perks like Call of Duty uses. Everyone unlocks perks and uses their favorite ones.

PC gamers are just beta testing for the console release so it wont be full of bugs. That's how ActiBlizz intends to make the real money.

Also explains why the game doesn't have VoIP for Pc gamer chat.

Diablo 3 is the modern Call of Duty of ARPG's.

What do you think?

Level 14
Blizzard have tried to enter the console scene for a while now. Their first attempt was Starcraft for N64, then it was Starcraft Ghost. Last year they have revealed that D3 will be coming to PS3/PS4, since their singed an agreement with Sony.

Thus I believe that they did indeed create D3 with the intention to port it to consoles. I don't think PC gaming is just a beta test for D3. I think Blizz expected D3 to be a really great game as it was, turns out there are a lot of tweaks to be had.

Furthermore every game has Achievements now-a-days. And WoW WotLK was really the first game to popularize this notion. Before Achievements there were Medals, but for somewhat reason 'Achievements' sounded better. So the fact that D3 has a system which has been implemented by the same company which created D3... isn't really all that surprising.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Or that >4 players hardly ever occurred in Diablo II unless 1-2 were doing all the work and the rest got to sponge off them.

The reason the quests make you walk in a linear closed circuit as opposed to big open worlds, is to keep your buds next to you on the same screen.
No but nearly there... The idea was to keep you next to your friends to encourage Coop unlike Diablo II where it was better to solo different areas at the same time due to shared drops and increased drops with player count.

The reason for no skill points or complicated number crunching? To make console players happy.
Or because it was stupid? In Diablo II there were only a few proper ways to build.

The reason you have 4-5 skills on your bar at once? Very easy to use an Xbox/Ps3 controller to use skills.
Or for balance to stop players spamming every single CD skill they have in rapid succession? As it is you are now pressed for choice as to what to use skill slots on which is a major part of character design.

Actually it is to stop the game being used as an electronic advertisement billboard. StarCraft II also uses this approach for that reason and it works wonders there. Look at Diablo II or Warcraft III to see what I mean, there are dozens of games advertising commercial services.

World of Warcraft and StarCraft II both had achievements long before Diablo III was released. Neither of these games have any console ports and will ever get any. Thus your reasoning here is flawed.

The reason for passive skills? Perks like Call of Duty uses. Everyone unlocks perks and uses their favorite ones.
Diablo II had them if you recall. They are back purely because it is traditional. An example would be the Barbarians weapon masteries, an entire skill tree of passives.

PC gamers are just beta testing for the console release so it wont be full of bugs. That's how ActiBlizz intends to make the real money.
They are entirely different. The console version will have considerably improved drops and no online play (as good as, there will be no community). The PC version will also be getting an expansion before the console versions do. Over time we may see balance changes deviate even.

No? Most console games feature VoiP chat as a standard, especially ones like CoD so that makes no sense what you are saying. I am guessing the reason it has none is they added one to StarCraft II and virtually nobody ever uses it so adding one to Diablo III would not be worth their time. Maybe an expansion will add it.

What do you think?
Most of what you posted made little sense.

Level 1
I am wondering why there are only four players in a team. Why not five? Anyway, there are five classes in this game.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I am wondering why there are only four players in a team. Why not five? Anyway, there are five classes in this game.
It comes down to what is manageable. 4 players can sort of work like 1 player but by the time you get to 8 everything becomes a cluster **** of stuff happening.

Diablo II did not even let you use 8 players, 1 player spamming meteor caused a disconnect let alone if 8 players decided to spam meteor.

Level 7
It comes down to what is manageable. 4 players can sort of work like 1 player but by the time you get to 8 everything becomes a cluster **** of stuff happening.

Diablo II did not even let you use 8 players, 1 player spamming meteor caused a disconnect let alone if 8 players decided to spam meteor.

I never got dced from spammin meteor but I agree it was a cluster fuck and got out of hands some times but the good ol days of pvp and the non stop baal farming :)

Level 14

The reason no runes / complicated item mechanics exists. Simply wouldn't be fun for console gamers.

Diablo 3 is the modern Call of Duty of ARPG's.

What do you think?

I completely agree with you on this. Diablo 3 is pretty much the Call of Duty of this style of gaming. It's inherent simplistic nature is almost the definition of streamlining, which is what the majority of console gamers crave. Diablo 3's PC run was never meant to be solely for PC's, everyone who bought Diablo 3 was essentially a beta tester. Blizzard knew that their PC fanbase would point out the nature of the game rather quickly and the problems that plagued it. It's a brilliant marketing scheme (that I unfortunately fell for since I bought Diablo 3).

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Except that the PC version is being adapted with some console features. Noticably, they are back porting self-found play style so there will be no need to trade. You could call them beta testers but in reality they are the actual players, just they were side-lined temporarily.

Console version -> Hacked items are being given away.
PC version -> No hacked items at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.