• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modern Warfare 2 - fail IW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Call of Duty community manager Rob Bowling, also known as 'fourzerotwo', has confirmed in a podcast that the PC version of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 will not support user-created mods. Worse, it will not support dedicated servers. PC gamers will have to suffer peer-to-peer connections, just like their console-owning cousins.

Mr. Bowling could offer no defence for this move, and simply stated that: "The team's focusing on having it very equal on every platform" and "We're doing a lot of work on the back end."

Previous PC versions of CoD have supported dedicated servers. Their absence will apparently make the game "much more accessible to the PC community as a whole."
- Developer 402

Well this sucks, its gonna belike left4dead server listings....which dont exist. Whats the point of getting a private dedicated...

Sign the Petition!: http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?dedis4mw

Level 15
This is EXACTLY the incentive I need to pirate MW2 when it comes out!

Edit: Peer-to-peer filesharing is awesome, but peer-to-peer network connections for games suck. Seriously.

Level 6
You guys realize that over 480 clans have boycotted this game and over 160,000 people and counting have boycotted which means IW has just lost over nine million dollars in revenues give or take a few couple thousand for those cancelling ps3 or xbox pre orders

Level 6
It's correct alright. In fact, the count is somewhere around.. to be exact, 169566 people boycotting. which counts down to the revenues...

Oh dang... 10,173,960... IW definite fail

And I don't think pirating it will help because if you pirate, it's just like pirating cod4 servers, you can't connect from a cracked to a legit. Unless everyone in the entire world has pirated the game. And still, I doubt it will work because IW is using IWNET and Valve and valve is very good at keeping pirates at bay. So to sum it all up, IW tried to help the game by adding to their pockets but instead, they removed money from their pockets.

Level 15
And I don't think pirating it will help because if you pirate, it's just like pirating cod4 servers, you can't connect from a cracked to a legit. Unless everyone in the entire world has pirated the game. And still, I doubt it will work because IW is using IWNET and Valve and valve is very good at keeping pirates at bay. So to sum it all up, IW tried to help the game by adding to their pockets but instead, they removed money from their pockets.
I'm not planning on playing CoD MW2 multiplayer. I have the original legit Modern Warefare for that. Either way, it's very much possible to obtain a Steam-free version of MW, just like with CS (CZ or 1.6) and CSS.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
You forgot the fact that like a million consol people will buy the game and not care a shit about this move. Also you forgot the fact that 50-60%+ of those people who said they would boycot the game will probably end up buying it as words mean nothing. So this will have no affect on their profits at all.

Also peer to peer is not at all bad for playing, it filters out everyone incapable of configuring their router to host (so generally people are smarter) and also can have lower latencies than server games due to the fact that orders are not double delayed (once to you and then once to everyone). Ofcourse you are then forced to not play on dialup, but who does anymore in the firstplace.

Level 25
You guys realize that over 480 clans have boycotted this game and over 160,000 people and counting have boycotted which means IW has just lost over nine million dollars in revenues give or take a few couple thousand for those cancelling ps3 or xbox pre orders

Just look how good that went for the l4d2 boycott ;)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Velm, legally they do unless they want to be potentially arrested and sued for millions in damages (no joke).

Boycotts only work if over 50% (the majority) of players do not buy the game. Firstly, even though the numbers listed are pretty large, CoD series generally sells millions of copies + DLC, so they dont care if a few thousand do not buy. Secondly of the for mentioned boycotters, I doubt 25% will live up to their word and will probably end up buying the game, or atleast playing it (even if illegally).

End result? Game will be a huge sucess like previous in stallments (atleast from the developers point of view).

Level 6
Hey, don't be saying that I'm a bad person or don't be criticizing my comments. I'm just saying that IF key word "if" everyone did boycott and live up to their word, then they would've lost all that money. Plus Some people either moved to PS3 and XBox or cancelled preorders for PS3 and Xbox

Level 25
Modern Warfare 2 may seem like a 'bad idea', but it's completely an intelligent move. The Call of Duty series is extremely well known and admired by average and pro players, and since Call of Duty 4 and Call of Duty: World At War were both awesome games, we can only expect the next Call of Duty to be either just as good or better. The guys working on them are creative and good at making, so I doubt that it won't be worth my money.

People complain that there's so many FPS games that are 'the same', but if you look at it in a designer and art perspective, all FPS games are NOT alike. Even each Call of Duty game defers from the other with the new levels, gameplay elements added/replaced, art and graphics changes, etc.

Games like Call of Duty will probably exist as long as Counter-Strike did. It's well designed and its player-base makes the game very competitive, overall making it a fun game. So those of you who claim this game will suck, you must have not liked the other Call of Duty games. Otherwise, you need to reexamine FPS games beyond the fact that you're in a FPS view with a gun and need to kill people on a team or not on a team. :p

Level 15
Well the absence of PunkBuster and Dedicated servers explains all the problems.
It's not the game that will suck, but the gameplay will. (lagg, hacker and so on)

Level 25
I believe what he may have been trying to say is that cheaters are hard to successfully accuse as cheaters with the ineffective PunkBuster as the game's Anti-Hack because cheaters often say the cause of their mysteriously 'good skill' in the game is because of lag. Although sometimes lag really is the case and no hacks are involved. For example, back when I had wireless internet and was into Counter-Strike: Source a lot, I lagged so much that people would think I was speed hacking. I managed to get banned from servers due to that.

Kicking people with high pings is intelligent. But obviously it's not as easy when dealing with hackers since they have excuses... and sometimes they are believable excuses.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Yes but you are asuming they are using the same anti hack technology as they have before. Chances are they are not, and instead probably are using other methods of hack detection (like blizzard's warden which catches ALL hacks) by detecting damage hashes and all kinds of advanced stuff.

Weather they ban hackers is another question, as if they addopt a Blizzard's approach to hacking, the servers will only be hack free evert few months.

Level 15
I got MW2 for the PC last night, and started playing it about... two hours ago? Wow, time flies when you're killing people in Khazakstan!

Just for the record, the game is still unreleased for PC. So yeah.

Level 15
Those two statements contradict each other, unless you payed Pirate Bay a visit and downloaded a console version for the PC. :p

Nah, Razor released a steam-enabled PC version (lol?), but Skidrow released a non-steam version.

EDIT: Probably preordered the game or something, then sort of took out all of the steam-bits and unlocked it.

Level 22
Will Almighty told me that there are some variation of dedicated servers now. and yes MW2, is BY FAR, the best FPS ever, its quite streamlined. ill be getting the PC version soon, if anyone else has it for pc, hit me up and we can play together on spec ops or somethin.

Level 9
I agree they failed to an extent for PC gamers but they wanted to prevent xp servers (90% of the servers in WaW are boosting servers). I play on Xbox and it's by far the best FPS iv ever set my eyes on, just hit 3rd prestige.

Level 6
Its about time I posted here again. It's not a bad game. The absence of Dedicated servers IS NOT a big deal. The absence of punkbuster may be a problem concerning MW2 no longer has an anti cheat because people are using cheat like:
  • Turning people red to see easier and through walls
  • Aimbots like usual
  • Wallhacking like usual

Come on, go to www.amazon.com www.walmart.com or any sort of online store. It's show that PS3 and Xbox's version of MW2 is 4.5 stars of rating saying its the best game with the best graphics! Rarely any hackers! etc. Then when you look at the PC version, its got 1.5 stars of ration and all the comments are based off the absence of dedicated servers. It's an opinionated comment. Come on... 438 1 star ratings just because people can't handle the fact that there aren't any dedicated servers. IWNet is great but it does have its moments. You can open your NAT type to Open to reduce the chance of "Unable to Connect to Host" or "Game Lobby Closed"

I will understand the fact that if you change your NAT type from Strict to Open, your ISP will start to cry and threaten to shut down your internet if you dont pay more. Some people have actually downgraded to dial-up.

Dedicated servers IS NOT a big deal. You want some fun with friends? Either find a way through the matchmaking by using Steam's own devices such as join game. Or use a Private Match. Otherwise stop complaining.

IMO, the game's got great graphics, great long storyline (it's longer than MW1 so chill), literally a surprise at every goddamn corner. Great Music.

Theres my post and hope ya'll realize the truth about what your saying because all I hear are rants about how dumb the game is.

~SAWFreak

Level 27
Blah blah blah. Its not about people hating great game for a small problem, its about people hating it for comparing PC with console games. mods and dedicated servers were allways the part of PC shooters and now they are getting rid of it just for goddamn equality... PC should never be compared with consoles!

Level 6
Dont forget, IW said they wanted to try something new. Who knows? maybe they'll change it back to dedicated servers and punkbuster. Cause all you need is a patch. Problem is, if we keep criticizing the game, it'll come out later.

Level 9
Dont forget, IW said they wanted to try something new. Who knows? maybe they'll change it back to dedicated servers and punkbuster. Cause all you need is a patch. Problem is, if we keep criticizing the game, it'll come out later.

Theyre not adding dedicated servers and punkbuster into Mod2 after it's released. Besides, punkbuster is a buggy piece of shit to be honest.

Level 9
sorry for bragging but i gotta say, 100% completion on Singplayer, Multiplayer, and Spec Ops

sorry for bragging but i gotta say: 100% completion of campaign, 100% spec ops, and 356% of multiplayer. 3rd prestige and half way to fourth.

It's definitely awesome, gripping, etc., but I don't think it's the UTMOST BEST. Just beat Bridge Spec Ops level on Veteran, solo, using that scoped semi-automatic rifle and a desert eagle, by the way.

It's already sold over 10 million copies, most ever sold for an FPS, along with its prequel. Sales show it's the most successful FPS to ever hit the shelves, and i second this.

Level 15
It's already sold over 10 million copies, most ever sold for an FPS, along with its prequel. Sales show it's the most successful FPS to ever hit the shelves, and i second this.
I know that, but it doesn't make it the BEST FPS. It might have been the best SELLING FPS, but not the best FPS in every other factor.

Level 15
Well I have bought it and the multiplayer has very few flaws.
Commando noobs and 1887 akimbo noobs - those 2 are the only flaws of the game.

Level 6
Well I have bought it and the multiplayer has very few flaws.
Commando noobs and 1887 akimbo noobs - those 2 are the only flaws of the game.

To be honest, the only flaws of the games were the cheating, the incessive rants and whining, and you.

The flaws you listed are NOT flaws. You're whining about them because you can't stand the fact that you're getting your ass kicked by actual players who know how to play the damn game. Marathon + Lightweight + Commando makes a perfect knifing class. Steady Aim + Model 1887 Akimbo makes a perfect long range shotgun class. It's called learning how to use the stuff Infinity Ward gives you. Now if you want to learn the basics of MW2, then learn it from the pros and stop your shitface whines. All I hear from people are.
  • "No Dedicated Servers" well live with it.
  • "No Punkbuster" live with it too because it ain't getting any better
  • "1887 noobs" learn to deal with your noobiness cause you dont run TOWARDS the enemy
  • "commando noob" maybe they're a knifer. Ever thought about that before you opened your goddamn mouth?
  • "hacker" now unless you're actually hacking, then stfu because you're just a noob and can't deal with the fact that you're getting your assed kicked.
Can we please just stop talking about the fact that MW2 is full of glitches because its not. All the bad comments you hear about MW2 are from the nerds who cry to their mother at night because they can't learn to aim and shoot more less walk to save their life. And maybe if they can't shoot a gun, they resort to using the Grenade Launcher or Rockets/Thumper because they know if they can't kill you, they'll bring you down with them.

Like I said before, there are minimal flaws in the game. Perk flaws are just the fact that you're fat and can't understand the basics of the game. Gun flaws are just the fact that you're retarded and should aim and shoot and maybe check your connection.

Oh and btw, if you get your internet shut down, then sucks for you because if your NAT is set to Open, then you can host meaning you need more internet so your ISP (Internet Service Provider for those who can't read) warns you and you pay more or you downgrade to Dail-up or you set your NAT to strict.

Level 5
  • "No Dedicated Servers" well live with it.
  • "No Punkbuster" live with it too because it ain't getting any better
  • "1887 noobs" learn to deal with your noobiness cause you dont run TOWARDS the enemy
  • "commando noob" maybe they're a knifer. Ever thought about that before you opened your goddamn mouth?
  • "hacker" now unless you're actually hacking, then stfu because you're just a noob and can't deal with the fact that you're getting your assed kicked.

I Agree!

Level 25
Just got Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 for Christmas and so far it's pretty damn awesome. I haven't played Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare for PC, but the difference between Call of Duty: World at War and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 are extremely vast, as far as incentives to make the player want to progress in the game online.

Perks in Call of Duty were always great. Now that you can upgrade them, they're twice as awesome. Some are useless for most situations, such as the perk that detects explosives or "Tactical Insertions" but others like the "Commando" perk can help out A LOT.

The new attachments for the weapons are great, as are the new weapons and killstreaks in the game. The maps in the game are well designed and are fun; they even brought back a map from Call of Duty 2.

Aside from the many aimbotters, wallhackers, and noob-tube spammers, the game is really great and is currently one of my favorite multiplayer games. Good job Infinity Ward!

Status
Not open for further replies.