• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Do Dogs Have Souls?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Recently someone showed me a pair of dueling church signs; one belonging to Our Lady of Martyrs Catholic church and the other belonging to the Cumberland Presbyterian church.
The Catholic sign declares: "All Dogs Go To Heaven."
The Presbyterian sign replies: "Only Humans Go To Heaven. Read The Bible."
The Catholic sign replies: "God Loves All His creations, Dogs Included."
To which the Presbyterian sign retorts: "Dogs Don't Have Souls. This Is Not Open For Debate."
The Catholic sign shoots back: "Catholic Dogs Go To Heaven. Presbyterian Dogs Can Talk To Their Pastor."
The Presbyterians, getting a bit snippy now, respond: "Converting to Catholicism Does Not Magically Grant Your Dog A Soul."
The Catholics, now apparently feeling cheeky, reply to that with: "Free Dog Souls With Conversion."
The Presbyterians, now feeling a bit exasperated now, states their final argument: "Dogs Are Animals. There Aren't Any Rocks In Heaven Either." (Which doesn't make sense because rocks aren't animals, but whatever)
The Catholics seize victory with their final sign: "All Rocks Go To Heaven."

Now naturally this sign war between two churches never actually happened, but it's still funny. It did give me something to think about.
Many Christians do hold to the belief that Humans have souls and Animals do not. I find this interesting. Since the signs were arguing about dogs lets use dogs as our examples as well.

Dogs are equipped with many of the features us humans are - they have two eyes, two ears, a nose, a mouth, a brain. He will get angry if you taunt him, he will get excited if you play with him, he will whimper if you're cruel to him, he will get jealous if you give something to another dog and withhold it from him.
Humans and dogs are not so different; we both respond to stimuli, we both have nervous systems that enable us to feel pain, we both want food and sex and recreation. The central difference between us, the only difference that isn't superficial, is that while a dogs brain is designed to distinguish sense a humans brain is designed to plan and problem-solve. We're not more evolved than then, we're just differently evolved than them.
Or if you're a creationist and don't believe in evolution think of it this way: God didn't give us a better brain than a dogs, he just gave us a different brain suited to a completely different task.

That being the case, what great superiority can humans claim to dogs? Why, if god creating all living things, would he favor humans with eternal life and cheat the dog? Why create something that can think and feel in the first place if you only intend to completely destroy it and leave no trace of it in Armageddon? It seems rather arbitrary that humans have souls and dogs don't when the only difference between us worth mentioning beyond the superficial stuff - such as dogs have tails and we don't - is that we are more intelligent.

Is the soul therefore a bi-product of intellect? Then, do babies and people with brain damage and people with learning disabilities lack souls?

Perhaps intelligence is the bi-product of the soul. Then why is it that modern neuroscience can provide naturalistic explanations for human intellect? And why is it that damage to the brain causes damage to the intellect? Are intellect and soul mutually exclusive? Then why is it that souls are granted to humans and denied all other animals? And if animals do have souls then at what level of consciousness does the soul emerge? Do termites have souls, does grass? Do single celled organisms, do virus's? Do inanimate objects such as rocks and dish towels have souls?

When did I get my soul exactly? I was created when the genetic matter of my mother and my father combined to eventually form a fetus, then a child, then a teenager, and in the future an adult. I am a living thing that emerged from two living things who emerged in turn from four living things who emerged from eight living things and so on. You can go all the way back to the simplest organism back in the primordial soup, or you can go back to Adam and Eve six thousand years ago - whatever. Either way, all living things came from other living things, except for the original living thing or things. Where in all of this does the soul come into play? Do all sperms and eggs contain little soul seeds that will bloom into a fully fledged soul if they happen to be the sperm and egg that combine and eventually form a human being? Or does god personally send the spark of a soul into each fetus in the womb? What about animals that contain hive consciousnesses - bees, ants, sea anenomies and such like - does this hive consciousness possess a soul all of its own or does each component possess its own soul? And what about us? Aren't humans made of trillions of different cells? Does each cell have it's own soul? Wouldn't it suck to die and realize that your consciousness isn't going to heaven, instead each of your trillions of cells are going to heaven individually?

And what about our various stages in life? What if a man is Christian for all of his life and converts to Islam at 46 and dies at 47? Assuming that Christianity is correct he will face hell for rejecting Christ. So wait; if the soul is part of the intellect then did his soul change its mind? If so, then we have to admit that soul and intellect are connected and that gives a good chance that babies and severely brain damaged and severely mentally disabled people have no souls, or at least don't have the mechanisms that allow them to decide the fate of their souls. Alternatively, if the soul is separate from the intellect, then why would the souls be punished for what the intellect does? If my intellect decides to kill 37 people with a stapler, then why should my soul go to hell for that?

Another thing - if god decides when we die then why does he kill a man at 47 when he is a Muslim and not at 46 when he is still a Christian? If god doesn't decide, and it's all a matter of free will and happenstance, then what is the point of this supposed 'test' that we have been given? It's not a test, it's mostly luck, it's a crapshoot. If a Christian died just as he was having a doubt about Jesus, would he go to hell? That's so random! One second he's fit for heaven, the next he's not? One day an atheist is about to convert to Christianity when he is attacked by wild dogs and ripped to shreds. He goes to hell because the arbitrary date of his death was one day early? Nothing about the idea that we have souls makes any sense - it's either completely inexplicable, completely cruel, or completely arbitrary!

So instead of waddling though this indecipherable muck about souls do this instead: Ask yourself, is there any such thing as a soul to begin with? You've never seen it, you don't know where you got it, you don't know what it does or what it's for. It's eternal fate rests on your decisions, but modern science shows that all your decisions emanate from your brain, from your neural network, not from some mysterious force that resides nebulously if the confines of your being.

So, if you ask me, there is no soul. We are all soulless bags of meat wandering around trying to justify our supposition of supremacy to the dogs and the rocks. Perhaps we should just humble ourselves before nature and admit that we are not better. We don't have some invisible immortal ghost that resides in our machine that sets us apart from this world. We're just another cog in the big contraption called nature - and we're not even an important cog. The contraption would run just fine without us and our conceded notions of immortality.

Level 9
- Dogs have souls, so do we. We are only superior in intellect
- You soul is an ethereal part of your body, it cannot be seen physically, or mentally. It is, ethereal after all.
-also there is also no proof that souls don't exist, just like there is no proof souls exist. Which will make every post in this thread related to souls null and void. You will only know when you die.

remember: there are other types of Christians which won't discriminate rocks and dogs. And also remember, each of the churches in your story have something wrong about themselves. Each think themselves as superior.

Have a nice day and may you go to heaven ^_^

Level 16
- Dogs have souls, so do we. We are only superior in intellect
- You soul is an ethereal part of your body, it cannot be seen physically, or mentally. It is, ethereal after all.
-also there is also no proof that souls don't exist, just like there is no proof souls exist. Which will make every post in this thread related to souls null and void. You will only know when you die.

remember: there are other types of Christians which won't discriminate rocks and dogs. And also remember, each of the churches in your story have something wrong about themselves. Each think themselves as superior.

Have a nice day and may you go to heaven ^_^
ah good words from a good man...

is it so much to ask for all of us to be good!?

Level 40
Okay, logic 101.

If we neither have evidence for the existence of something, nor against it, the default position is that we have no reason to believe it exists (and you'll realize that everyone reasons this way when you ask yourself if you believe in, say, an invisible pink unicorn or a teapot orbiting the earth).

As the supporter(s) of souls have pointed out, there is no evidence for or against souls.

Ergo we can safely assume that souls don't exist until evidence exists to the contrary.

Level 5
Okay, logic 101.

If we neither have evidence for the existence of something, nor against it, the default position is that we have no reason to believe it exists (and you'll realize that everyone reasons this way when you ask yourself if you believe in, say, an invisible pink unicorn or a teapot orbiting the earth).

As the supporter(s) of souls have pointed out, there is no evidence for or against souls.

Ergo we can safely assume that souls don't exist until evidence exists to the contrary.

That's Russell's teapot:

If I were to suggest that between the Earth and Mars there is a china teapot revolving about the sun in an elliptical orbit, nobody would be able to disprove my assertion provided I were careful to add that the teapot is too small to be revealed even by our most powerful telescopes. But if I were to go on to say that, since my assertion cannot be disproved, it is an intolerable presumption on the part of human reason to doubt it, I should rightly be thought to be talking nonsense. If, however, the existence of such a teapot were affirmed in ancient books, taught as the sacred truth every Sunday, and instilled into the minds of children at school, hesitation to believe in its existence would become a mark of eccentricity and entitle the doubter to the attentions of the psychiatrist in an enlightened age or of the Inquisitor in an earlier time.

The core point of Russell's teapot is that a scientist cannot prove a negative, and therefore Occam's razor demands that the more simple theory (in which there is no soul) should trump the more complex theory (there is a soul). He notes that this argument is not good enough to convince the religious, because religious evidence is experienced through personal revelation or received wisdom, and cannot be presented in the same manner as scientific evidence. The scientific view is to treat such claims of personal revelation with skepticism.

Let me settle this, everyone has a right to their own views. Anything that cannot be proven right or wrong should not be argued about. Unless you have hard fact statements that can support your side of the argument. Which none of you do. I am a hard core Christian, but I think this thread is only started to have people flame eachother. So I advise you all drop it.

Thread reported.

Level 8
I am going to talk in a Christian perspective..
-Humans are superior to animals. God said that we have dominion over them.
-Animals go to heaven. they have a soul that doesnt need redemption.. they do not sin for they do not know what they are doing, they act only by instinct.. Jesus died for the Salvation of HUMANS only..
-"intelligent animals" such us dolphins are just created with communication adaptations, its not really a more superior intellect than other animals.
-Not all things have souls.. the reason you would see a rock on Heaven is not because its from Earth, its because there are also rocks in Heaven
-You got your soul when God decided that you live
-Christianity is not a matter of being converted and say i am "a Christian". its a personal relationship with God. if your a Christian and then you went to being a Muslim, then you end that relationship. in the Christian context, that would take you to Hell..
-the soul does not dictate free will. thats why its called Free Will.
-if a Christian doubt's God's existence, then he is not really a Christian.
-yes i have not seen my soul, and God, but i believe.. and i will never ask for evidence.. it called Faith.

feel free to disagree, im just here to share what i know:)

Level 15
I don't believe in souls.

I have already seen animals act in an intelligent way to stimuli, so intelligence is not exclusive. Hell, who says we are intelligent? We fight wars from petty differences, kill and murder for horrible reasons, and ruin the environment with our technological superiority. Frankly, humans seem rather stupid, but oh wells, not saying we should all go back to the trees, just that we should be more responsible before declaring ourselves superior.

-Humans are superior to animals. God said that we have dominion over them.
the reason why we because "superior" is because we managed to invent things. put a man in a lion cage. how "superior" do you think he would be? people, as god made them, are hairless and defenceless lumps of meat.
guns, however, is the creation of men. it is one of many things that made us superior to animals in terms of K/D ratio. now. if god wanted us to hold dominance over animals, why didnt god create guns himself?

-Animals go to heaven. they have a soul that doesnt need redemption.. they do not sin for they do not know what they are doing, they act only by instinct.. Jesus died for the Salvation of HUMANS only..
if that is the case, why do unbaptised babies and non-believers supposedly go to limbo? in that case, non believers can never sin for their ideology is different from the religious one and therefore their definition of sin is different. for example, not following christianity is not a sin to them. since it isnt a sin to their mind, therefore, they are guiltless and should go to heaven

Now. lets say you are a criminal who kill and steal because that is your natural instinct under the circumstances. do you go to hell because you are a dirty unfogivable criminal or do you go to heaven because you are guiltless?

-"intelligent animals" such us dolphins are just created with communication adaptations, its not really a more superior intellect than other animals.
Ravens and crows and have frequently been shown to show problem solving capabilities at a above par level in comparison to other animals.

-Christianity is not a matter of being converted and say i am "a Christian". its a personal relationship with God. if your a Christian and then you went to being a Muslim, then you end that relationship. in the Christian context, that would take you to Hell..
-the soul does not dictate free will. thats why its called Free Will.

Free will includes the will to choose whatever religion or nonreligion you desire. Now, the theory that you go to hell for choosing another religion would mean that your god does not endorse free will. infact, the exact opposite. your god requires you to do as he says. a total submission to his ways.

Wikipedia : The word Islam means 'submission to God'
ummm yeah.

then you end that relationship. in the Christian context, that would take you to Hell..
if you end a relationship, you go to hell? this God person sounds like an angry ex. irrational and always in your face.

Status
Not open for further replies.