• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Discuss Film & TV Series - Ratings & Recommendations

Figured it's time I bring folks the latest *cough* news. So I'll start the show with Pan's Labyrinth which was very different from what I had expected. The main character, Ofelia, is the daughter of a woman newly married (as far as I could gather) to, and bearing the child of, a brutal officer stationed at a front line of sorts against rebels. So the story about this general, Ofelia's mother and another character, Mercedes, are intertwined with a fantasy story that springs from Ofelia's huge interest in books. It's all very well acted, and there's hardly a pause in the thumping drama and thrilling adventure. Visually, the fantasy part of the story is very grotesque, slimy and generally unwelcoming. The undertones, however, are very childish and cute. All in all a well made film with a strong story. Not really my field of interest, though. Horror, drama and fantasy blended together is, in my humble opinion, an unfit mixture.

Moving on, I've been urged for a while to watch Hellboy and Hellboy II. As they're both Guillermo del Toro films, just like Pan's Labyrinth, I had mixed expectations. The first film largely disgusted me, the visuals were very much akin to those of Pan's Labyrinth and I did not enjoy the plot all that much either. Ron Perlman is fancy as a superhero-antihero-mutant flick, though, and the whole atmosphere of the film is very lighthearted compared to Pan's Labyrinth. I found the sequel, Hellboy II: The Golden Army much more interesting. There's a pretty elaborate fantasy world going on, making the world less real, thus Hellboy and Abe more plausible. The elves, although quite simply humans with straight, long, blond hair just like the stereotype - actually, on second thought I'm not sure if they were referred to as elves -, had a fancy role as the ruling species of a different dimension, one could say, where fantasy creatures were the animals (though more often than not capable of speech). This dimension, of course, opposed to the real dimension where humans rule. Disregard the title, though, as the Golden Army gets little exposure in the film, and although they serve as the drive they are not what should peak your interest. From an artist's standpoint, the film is very inspiring. Otherwise, it's not really that much to it. I'd say Hellboy is a head above your average superhero flick, though, because it's not trying to be real at all, quite the contrary.

Lastly, I saw Beowulf & Grendel the other day - the one with Gerard Butler as Beowulf. Of course, Denmark is still a mountainous fantasy landscape similar to the Shire, but instead of being cosy with little men, there are pre-viking warriors hungry for beer, women and violence. Then, coupled with fantasy, we have large, barbaric men - I can't say it ever clarified whether Grendel (or rather the father) was of a unique species or just a man cast out of society. There's also a witch who can see your death, oddly enough she's the only pretty woman in sight. Finally there's a hand emerging from the sea to scare the occasional boatman or fisher. It is revealed later on that there's more than an arm. Anyway, the story is presented in a much more plausible manner than it was in the Beowulf 3D film that I saw some years ago. The acting is adequate and it's fairly well made altogether. Naturally, Gerard Butler doesn't exactly sound Scandinavian nor look like one, but that's hardly the point here. Nothing is particularly Scandinavian about this thing in the first place. I felt it got rather boring at times, and I had a hard time understanding Beowulf's intentions. Generally a quite sad story with a not convincingly happy ending.

Beowulf with Gerard Butler is an Icelandic film. Filmed in Iceland(that is why its Mountain-y(?). but i Agree its a lot better than 3d Beowulf.

Level 10
What Movie is this?

Hi, guys, I know this is a weird question to ask on here, but I just thought I'd give it a shot since this place has a pretty big community and an off-topic forum.

I remember watching this movie 4 or more years ago that I really enjoyed, but I don't remember much details, so you probably won't recognise it unless you've watched it a couple times or recently...
Here's what I remember:
•The main character is a guy, I think
•It has something to do with some people being immortal
•It starts in medieval times, and one scene is somewhere in the mountains, and it ends up in modern times, one scene in the top of a tall building with a big light-up sign.
•The immortality also has something to do with getting your head chopped off, I think that's the only way you can kill one of these people.
•It has nothing to do with dragons

Thanks ahead for helping.

Level 26
Beowulf with Gerard Butler is an Icelandic film. Filmed in Iceland(that is why its Mountain-y(?). but i Agree its a lot better than 3d Beowulf.

Well in the book it goes along the lines of this, King Hrotgar of Denmark once built a great hall. Dubbed a "Mjödhall" in Swedish. A rough translation would be a Mead Hall. Basically a gigantic party house for his brave warriors where they could party, celebrate and have their way with saddened war torn ladies. The partying was loud and could be heard from far away. Grendel, a huge monsterous swampy troll, jealous of their joy and their partying, wanted to avenge the broken silence and waited until the warriors had grown so intoxicated that they had fallen asleep.

Grendel then broke through the through the front door facing little opposition and killed and devoured thirty men. Common soldiers, intoxicated or not, were no match for its power and was eaten like Twinkies. This was the beginning of a twelve year long period of death, screaming and misery for the kingdom of Denmark. When the Danish people began to lose hope, their king sent word over the Kattegat http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c2/Carte_Skagerrak-Kattegat2.png reaching the hero Beowulf, a son of the warrior of the Norse clan Waegmundings (from the name "Wägmund" meaning "Guardian of the Road" ) of the Swedes and of the daughter of the King of the Geats. Basically, he was a prince. Also, Half Geat, Half Swede. Which would've been a big thing at the time.

Beowulf lived in the lands of the Geats because his father had killed a man of a powerful clan called the Wulfings. Since the death, a huge reward was placed on his fathers head, who fled to Denmark where the current king paid the reward, resulting in them becoming good friends. Once his father returned from Denmark, he choose to live in the land of the Geats just to be sure he wouldn't be hunted. Then he married the daughter of their king and soon she gave birth to Beowulf. Anyhow, the king stated that he owes him after he had saved the life of his father and kindly asked him to repay the favor and by getting rid of the beast that keeps killing his men.

After a long and tiresome journey over the sea, Beowulf tries to figure out a plan to get rid of Grendel along with the king and some clever tacticians. Beowulf declares that because Grendel killed the men barehanded, he should face him barehanded as well. They lure Grendel towards them by creating the loudest party they could ever do.

Once the volume starts going up, the doors of the halls are slammed open and Grendel barges in. Like before soldiers attack it but their weapons prove to be ineffective, resulting in Grendel beating the shit out of another twenty or thirty men. Suddenly Beowulf gets a chance to attack, jumps ontop of grendel from the floor above and manages to rip off one of Grendels huge arms. As a result of having his arm torn off, Grendel runs off in a panic and bleeds to death in his mothers arms.

A grand celebration is held and Grendels torn off arm is nailed to the wall and everyone starts drinking and going crazy. Beowulf, which reputation was already spinning with fables stating that he swam through the seas and killed multiple vicious sea serpents bare handed were today compared to the Sigmund, another heroic man from an actual story called "Völsunga saga". Sigmund is known as a famous dragon slayer, where he kills Fafnir and a bunch of other things. Also, at a couple of points in that story, Odin helps him out.

Anyhow, the enraged mother enters the halls for revenge some time later. However, Beowulf was currently sleeping in another building close by. Consumed by revenge, Grendels Mother then kills the Danish kings most loyal and trusted servant instead. Then leaves.

Beowulf is tasked with destroying her, and ventures into her lake-based home, Grendel's Mere. When Grendel's mother senses his presence, she immediately attacks Beowulf and drags him into her home. They then engage in fierce combat. Grendel's mother is about to defeat Beowulf when he sees a sword in the "mere." He uses the sword to decapitate Grendel's mother and to behead the corpse of Grendel. Beowulf then returns to the surface and to his men. With their heads to prove to the king that what he says is true and that they no longer have fear being attacked by them anymore.

The danish king thanks them and Beowulf returns to the land of the Geats where he becomes the new king. Fifty years after Beowulf's battle with Grendel's mother, a slave steals a golden cup from the lair of an unnamed dragon at Arnäs. When the dragon sees that the cup has been stolen, it leaves its cave in a rage, burning everything in sight. Beowulf and his warriors come to fight the dragon, but Beowulf tells his men that he will fight the dragon alone and that they should wait on the barrow. Beowulf descends to do battle with the dragon but finds himself outmatched. Because, you know, he'd be in his 70's at this point. One of his men, however, Wiglaf, who finds great distress in seeing Beowulf's plight, comes to Beowulf's aid. The two slay the dragon, but Beowulf is mortally wounded. Although, Wiglaf was with him during the hunting of Grendel. Which means that two 70 year olds killed a dragon together. Kinda badass imo.

Beowulf is buried in the lands of the Geats on a cliff overlooking the sea, where sailors are able to see his tumulus. The dragon's treasure is buried with him, in accordance with Beowulf's wishes, rather than distributed to his people, and there is a curse associated with the hoard to insure that Beowulf's wish is kept. The End.

Just to summarize this whole thing. There's enough material here to make a decent movie. Denmark doesn't have mountains, but Sweden do, although that far down south, there wouldn't really be any big mountains to speak off. You could use this story as a foundation for a new one, then you wouldn't have to struggle with going against the source material.

Anyhow, back on topic. Saw In Time a while ago, that movie was pretty epic.

Yep, that's it.
Thanks again

Only watch the first, the rest of them are horrible.

Last edited:

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Shane Carruth's Primer. Given a very thin margin of error it's the most muddy and mindfucking treat you can get from a 77 minutes long reel of film shot with a slim budget of roughly $7000. I've only watched it once, but I'm definitely going to give it several more goes because a) it's that good, and b) it's that muddy. It warrants more than one sitting.

Funny how it's usually reviewed like "anybody who claims he fully understands what's going on in Primer after seeing it just once is either a savant or a liar."

IMDb plot:
At night and on weekends, four men in a suburban garage have built a cottage industry of error-checking devices. But, they know that there is something more. There is some idea, some mechanism, some accidental side effect that is standing between them and a pure leap of innovation. And so, through trial and error they are building the device that is missing most. However, two of these men find the device and immediately realize that it is too valuable to market. The limit of their trust in each other is strained when they are faced with the question, If you always want what you can't have, what do you want when you can have anything?
Basically what they discover is a means of time travel. And not in a wonderful and jaded kind of way-- more along the lines of a dark drama that indugles us in some seriously fucked up and twisted implications drawn from underfunded research in a guy's garage. So basically, two techheads who seek venture capital for this machine they're piecing together in the garage with cheap and rusty spareparts stumble upon the discovery of traveling in time. It's something they don't even begin to understand, and something they approach with simple trial and error. What we end up with is a film that experiments with loopholes and chronologies that doesn't seem to apply or fit in the right order.

The dialogue is very technical and I don't even think you're supposed to understand most of it. Hell, the characters don't appear to understand all of it. Sort of builds it up quite nicely-- the lines don't seem contrived or forced, but appear more natural. You can tell pretty much early on that they're concerned, but literally too excited to just leave it alone. And of course, couple of minutes in, they don't even have that option anymore.

If you're interested, here's a sketch of the timeline. Don't read too much into it, [highlight]might spoil a few things[/code]: http://unrealitymag.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/primer-chart.jpg

So, just fucking watch it already.

Level 6
I have to agree to that, some of the shots were too vague and I've noticed some lightinin' that was out of place, I didnt like the actors either, but thats my personal opinion tho :p
And that's all that matters in a movie.

V for Vendetta is pretentious as fuck, but it's not like you can expect anything else from a comic adaptation.

Level 26
I liked the actors, but I disliked the general story, at least after the woman gets tortured for a long while just to prove a point. That kinda ruined it for me.
You can't declare yourself an avenging hero if you are torturing an innocent woman on your free time just to prove a point.

All of V's speeches was pretty awesome though. The first one being the most memorable. But yeah, the story itself felt.. lacking, to me.

Level 36
I can't be bothered to go through this whole thing so excuse me if some of these have been mentioned already.

Currently watching: Supernatural, Psych, Community, and Game of Thrones.

Will watch then they come back on: Dexter, True Blood, Doctor Who.

Other shows that are great: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Clone High, Futurama before it got renewed, Top Gear, 30 Rock, Misfits (discounting season 3), and Black Books.

Too many movies to recommend. Scott Pilgrim vs. The World is probably my favourite, though.

HFR

HFR

Level 22
I'm watching the second season of Game of Thrones and reading A Clash of Kings between the episodes. They changed and compressed a lot of stuff, but it's understandable, as the second book is bigger. The show is as awesome as ever, though.

Level 36
I'm watching the second season of Game of Thrones and reading A Clash of Kings between the episodes. They changed and compressed a lot of stuff, but it's understandable, as the second book is bigger. The show is as awesome as ever, though.

They honestly haven't changed too much. They've stated ahead of time they're going to mix in aspects of ASoS at their own discretion, but usually whenever they do change something, it makes sense the way they're doing it. I've read 4 of the 5 books and so far haven't had a single complaint about them changing/leaving out shit so far.

Level 13
All this GoT talk makes me want to read aSoIaF and watch GoT.

Say, is it a good idea to watch the show before reading the books? I have so many other books to read!

Level 36
All this GoT talk makes me want to read aSoIaF and watch GoT.

Say, is it a good idea to watch the show before reading the books? I have so many other books to read!

Yeah, do it. I watched season 1 before I read the books and had no problem at all. You have to pay close attention to keep up with what's going on, but it's worth it. The books are MASSIVE, but also very good, so you'll want to get to them eventually (especially once you're caught up with the show and want to find out what happens next).

Level 13
I don't have a problem with massive books.

I'm just currently reading through the Malazan Book of the Fallen series, and after that I'm going to read The Wheel of Time, THEN aSoIaF. It will be a while, at my pace. :p

I'm probably going to pick up season one sometime soonish, I suppose. Thanks.

Level 36
I don't have a problem with massive books.

I'm just currently reading through the Malazan Book of the Fallen series, and after that I'm going to read The Wheel of Time, THEN aSoIaF. It will be a while, at my pace. :p

I'm probably going to pick up season one sometime soonish, I suppose. Thanks.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Because you mentioned having a huge reading list ahead of you, I'm saying it's better to just watch the show (13 hours of tv and you're caught up) rather than slog through the 5000 pages or whatever of the books first.

Level 16
Es* but I'm kinda boycotting Fincher's new stuff so I've seen neither Benjaming Button nor the Social fuckin Network.

I saw two movies yesterday, Due Date and Limitless. First one was cool but it troubled me how 80% of the movie had become obsolete by the end. Limitless was somehow overrated, still cool, but could've been more ambitious.

Level 1
If you like to watch horror movies, I would like to recommend you to watch Woman in black movie. I’m quite sure you will get scared.

Last edited:
Level 4
Watching My Movie/Tv Series List :

1. Transformers Collections
2. The Pearl Harbor
3. Son Of Rambow
4. Toy Story 3
5. Battleship 2012
6. Braveheart
7. Saving Private Ryan
8. The A Team
9. Expandbles
10. Clash Of The Titans
11. 300
12. Centurion
13. The Pacific (Series)
14. The Avengers / All Marvel Collections
15. Pirates of the Caribbean All Collections

Level 19
Es* but I'm kinda boycotting Fincher's new stuff so I've seen neither Benjaming Button nor the Social fuckin Network.

I saw two movies yesterday, Due Date and Limitless. First one was cool but it troubled me how 80% of the movie had become obsolete by the end. Limitless was somehow overrated, still cool, but could've been more ambitious.

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo was excellent. Social Network, however, was pretty overrated.

Level 11
My movies

Movies and rewiews

Shutter Island-It was depressing so if you want to kill someone show them this movie and the rest lies with the depressment

Dune-The only-thing I liked was the giant worms.

Thor-Liked the graphics, story is also good.

The last airbender-sucked I could say a few thing about it that will give heart attacks to the young and healty

And watch out for my next rewie of more movies
You know if I post 'em
:ogre_datass:

Level 4
Everyone should watch Birdemic: Shock and Terror. It might just be an Oscar-worthy experience.
If you liked it, I'm sure you'll enjoy masterpieces such as The Room, Superbabies 2, and an all-time classic, Manos: The Hands of Fate.

Level 26
Just saw "Tucker and Dale vs Evil" and "Frequently asked questions about time travel"

Both movies were great. Tucker and Dale was hilarious for the most part, although I can't say the bit about the fingers was necessary, I will say no more for people who haven't seen it.
Frequently asked question about time travel, was pretty fun as well, although not in the same way, but with a more British kind of humor, still fairly fun to watch though. Felt like it dragged on at times, but still, good movie.

That movie also felt like they had a fairly low budget, so it could explain why everything felt like it was filmed using four, five rooms. ;P