• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Discuss Film & TV Series - Ratings & Recommendations

Level 17
I watched Troy for the first time.
It was a good 'stand alone' movie but it seemed to be lacking in the story part.
Enjoyable nonetheless.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Saw Gladiator last night, for the n'th (is that an expression in English?) time. I don't think explanation is due, because everyone knows Gladiator is the best film there is.

Incidentally, I realized how many great attires there are in the film, so later today, or some other day, I'm going to watch through while taking screen captures, like, every two seconds. Yeah. Then I'm going to do, like, 4650 paintings. Awesome.

Hm, I might need some energy drinks.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Oh, Fight Club is decent. It's a different kind of film, though, so it is thus incomparable.

I watched Transporter 2 this morning. I actually enjoyed it more than I expected to, even though it's the Statham film I've already seen the most times. Certainly not because of that maniacal assassin in her undies, though, she's just a skeleton with too much makeup.
"Trust me, I am.. doctor."

Level 16
Oh, Fight Club easily ranks in my top 5 movies of all time, just meant I saw it again that day for the n'th time. You're right, it's not comparable with Gladiator; actually not really comparable with any other movie, what makes its appeal to me :p Gladiator was excellent for its genre, but there are too many similar movies, to me it was like Troy/300/etc, but with an original(?) plot, it failed to really stand out for me. Might give it a second chance!

Anyway, just saw Lock, Stock and 2 Smokin Barrels and it was great, not sure it matched Snatch but it was definitely worth watching

Level 16
watched 127-hours.
220px-127_Hours_Poster.jpg

the story is cool even if the guy's arm is just stuck by a very large rock and tries to amputate himself.
starring James Franco (Spiderman 3's new goblin)

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Saw Snatch - it was as awesome as I had hoped, and then some. Recommended.
"Oh, in case we have to deafen them to death?"

Also saw the last of the three Transporter films, and I actually feel it's the better of them if you disregard that it's the same concept in all three films.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Watched 40 minutes of The Tree of Life. I just can't make up my mind about it. To some end it's just way too fucking obscure. There are grounds for some potentially brilliant food-for-thought philosophical notions, but ultimately it just briefly tickles the frontal lobe. The visuals are bloody amazing though, could make for a sure kill documentary with some narrative commentaries.

I might try watching the whole thing at some point when I've bolstered my mentality.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Watched 40 minutes of The Tree of Life. I just can't make up my mind about it. To some end it's just way too fucking obscure. There are grounds for some potentially brilliant food-for-thought philosophical notions, but ultimately it just briefly tickles the frontal lobe. The visuals are bloody amazing though, could make for a sure kill documentary with some narrative commentaries.

I might try watching the whole thing at some point when I've bolstered my mentality.

I decided it was better to see it through than to end it when I first had started. I can't quite recall how much you've seen after 40 minutes, but I reckon it ties up the loose ends in the actual end, albeit in a just as indirect and confusing way. Most of the visual stuff, like the scene with the dinosaur, pretty much threw me off, though. It felt as if they had stuffed the film with more or less random scenes to fill time. I do realize they were to evoke and/or emphasise the emotions, but I just couldn't take it serious.

I have to agree, though, there was some pretty epic scenery, and the dinosaur scene wasn't bad in and of itself, it just didn't fit, in my opinion. Perhaps it'd make sense if I watched it again. But then, my immediate opinion is that they're taking too much time, and at the same time too little time, to explain a single emotion. And I think it lacks the contrast, it's just the same emotional mood the entire film through.

Level 51
I decided it was better to see it through than to end it when I first had started. I can't quite recall how much you've seen after 40 minutes, but I reckon it ties up the loose ends in the actual end, albeit in a just as indirect and confusing way. Most of the visual stuff, like the scene with the dinosaur, pretty much threw me off, though. It felt as if they had stuffed the film with more or less random scenes to fill time. I do realize they were to evoke and/or emphasise the emotions, but I just couldn't take it serious.

I have to agree, though, there was some pretty epic scenery, and the dinosaur scene wasn't bad in and of itself, it just didn't fit, in my opinion. Perhaps it'd make sense if I watched it again. But then, my immediate opinion is that they're taking too much time, and at the same time too little time, to explain a single emotion. And I think it lacks the contrast, it's just the same emotional mood the entire film through.
#

Me and my family watched the film together in the cinema, which led to a big discussion later. What was immedently clear, that the film was just a big guide to christianity, good seeable at the hearafter scene in the end, where he sess all his dead and living friends, or the bad american dad, good american mum stuff and so.

Best.Movie.Ever.

You. are. so. true.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Was he really a bad father? I think not. Was she a good mother? I can't be certain.

For instance, what made the father bad? That his oldest son became such a reckless and violent boy? Who made him so, really? His friends, his mother or his father? A combination of all three, I'd say. Mother being too liberal, father being too absent and all his friends already being too bad. The family would've driven me nuts, that's for sure. Younger brother being silent and sad. Mother being sad and worried while trying to be merciful. Father not being there other than for dinner. Dinner being a more or less dead silent ordeal (surely due to the time, though). True, they lost a son - did they lose two? I can't remember -, but how does it make it better to grieve him for what seemed to be years in and years out?

Anyway, in the end, his oldest son turned out to be a fairly successful man, didn't he? Seemed to me he ended up rich. As such, the father must have succeeded. It was perhaps his mother who corrupted him, but would he even be alive if she hadn't tried? Ultimately, no parent were in the wrong, and his friends weren't to blame. It was a perfectly fine family destroyed by the loss of a son (or two).

I'm not sure I got all that much of a Christianity vibe from it, but I guess I can see your point. I got so caught up in the visuals I'm not sure I remember how he got there in the last scene - did he die? I didn't quite understand who all the people were and why they'd be together on a beach. I suppose it was an illustration of what was going on inside his head.

Sorrow. The only idea I got from the film was sorrow. The music manifested as sad, the visuals emphasised the sadness, the little amount of dialogue contoured the pain and the fact that everyone were sad all the time coloured, or took the colour out of, the whole film with sorrow.

Level 25
~Joe's Adventures at the Movies entry #1

Monday night I went out with my younger brother and a friend to watch a movie, we didn't have anything in mind so we decided to pick one when we arrive.
There was few shitty movies, THE shitty movie (the new Twilight) and some second class movie called "Tower Heist", we chose that movie.

Went to the movie booth and asked for 3 tickets:
Me: Tower Heist
Ticket guy: Twilight?
Me: TOWER HEIST
Ticket guy: what seats would you prefer?
etc...

Movie started, we entered the theater and it was enormous, which was weird for a movie such as Tower Heist.
Commercials started, and suddenly a twilight commercial came on.
Gayness kicked in.
Me, my friend and my brother started acting homo, "Are you team edward or team jackob? TEAM EDWARD WOOHOO!" "TEAM JACKOooooooooB! GO JACKOB!" "Edward is a vampire! he is better than Edward!" "Na-ah, Jackob is a Shifter!"
the commercial went forever and Jackob the wolf guy took off his shirt for some reason and started running
"OOOOOHH! JACKOB! *us doing fangirls screams* AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"
The girls next to us started to get upset and annoyed (mission accomplished)
then the commercial was like 5 minutes long, and I started noticing something was wrong, I looked back at the (3/4 the theater behind us) back rows, they were full with girls. the commercial started showing scenes of a dad reading a book for like a minute.
It struck me, took out my cellphone and checked the tickets, "Twilight: Dark dawn part 1" I literally screamed from "OH HELL NO! WTF IS THIS SHIT" and went out and almost punched the guy who checks the tickets on the door (who have nothing to do with it)
he then told me that he will let me slip in the other theater to watch the movie I was going to watch. I lost the first 8 minutes of that movie, it was the serious/comedy type, it was fun, 6/10 Movie rating factor, 9/10 fun factor (with friends)
But I still feel bad about myself and regret it: I PAYED 20$ FOR TWILIGHT AND WATCHED TOWER HEIST! I GAVE TWILIGHT ANOTHER MOVIE'S REVENUE! I FUNDED TWILIGHT.

Notice: Twilight have no opening (the hinting that a movie is starting, like the universal planet logo or w/e), it just starts just like that, like a commercial.
What did we learn today?
-It's ok to act like a fag in a twilight movie to piss off the fangirls
-When some douche reads a book for a minute on screen without anything else happening, get out and ask for your money back.

Cool story bro :D ?

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

-When some douche reads a book for a minute on screen without anything else happening, get out and ask for your money back.
I agree.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Something along the lines of one hundred, maybe two hundred? Unless you're referring to only new films (as in films I have not seen before), in which case it's probably more like fifty.

Let's see how many I remember (out of the ones I hadn't seen before): The American, The Big Lebowski, The Adjustment Bureau, Prince of Persia : Sands of Time, Pirates of the Caribbean : On Stranger Tides, The International, Priest, Unknown, Blitz, Tree of Life, Season of the Witch, Snatch, Source Code, Sucker Punch, The Sorcerer's Apprentice, Drive Angry, The New World, No Strings Attached, Thor, The Next Three Days, Solomon Kane, Limitless, Pitch Black, Tron : Legacy, Skyline, Syriana, The Zodiac, Die Hard 4.0, Jonah Hex, Let's Kill Bobby Z, Fast & Furious 5, Knight & Day, Unstoppable, The Hit List, Piranha, Jennifer's Body, The Karate Kid, Cowboys and Aliens, The King Maker, Death Race 2, Greenzone, Black Death..
I suspect there are a few more.

Also, this probably fits into this thread: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/off-topic-478/what-films-did-you-watch-lately-206976/

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Saw Give 'em Hell, Malone last night. Not particularly impressed. Admittedly, I bought it merely because of Elsa Pataky and Ving Rhames. The plot is actually quite bad, but it's speckled with unrelated stuff that is somewhat good. None of the actors do a particularly good job, though. In short, it was worth the time but not the money.

HFR

HFR

Level 22
Watched The Thing prequel. Overall it was a good movie, lots of flamethrowers, nasty creatures (most of them CGI, I missed those puppets from the original film) and Mary Elizabeth Winstead (who didn't answer my marriage proposal yet, though my hopes are high).

Overall, I give it 3.5 out of 5 Zippo lighters.

Level 13
I watched Insidious yesterday. Largely unimpressed, as I am with most films; but at least it was genuinely creepy a few times. About halfway through it raped my suspension of disbelief and I spent the rest of the film mocking it.

Level 14
The Tourist

Suggest you don't watch the trailer, any kind of spoiler will ruin this type of movie. Otherwise what can I say... sexy female lead (and skilled, british accent <333), skilled male lead and as the movie keeps going, the plot thickens. And pretty good one-liners in this movie.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Yeah, I don't know why people are hating on The Tourist. I quite enjoyed it when I went to see it. Caught me off guard while still being a fairly lightweight film, in terms of emotional provocation. Easy to watch, easy to enjoy, easy to criticise and, thus, easy to hate as well. I liked it.

I watched Gangs of New York today and it was bloody great! <3 leonardo, he's just such a great actor. Although Daniel Day-Lewis is just absolutely amazing in there.
I also watched The Departed like 2 times in the last month or two, amazing movie too. Leonardo DiCaprio's work in Gangs of NY, The Departed, Shutter Island and Inception is just bloody great, favourite actor at the moment for sure. And he's starring in a Great Gatsby movie next year, should be good
more recently, I also watched Abduction with the bloody werewolf from twilight which was shit. the movie we wanted to see wasn't on so we just saw that.
also the Lion King in 3D, best movie of 2011 easily

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Gangs of New York is a great film - the opening soundtrack, when they are walking out, is superbly strange and the battle music is fantastic! Generally, Martin Scorsese is a safe bet. And Leonardo DiCaprio is indeed a great actor - I think my favourite film with him (as in, my favourite of his characters come from) is Blood Diamond, though, or possibly Shutter Island. Daniel Day-Lewis, Cameron Diaz and Liam Neeson are good actors as well. Even so, I'd still give the majority of the credit to Scorsese. I don't quite remember how The Departed went, I should probably watch it again.

Inception was interesting, but too short, I think, and I was under the impression they messed up a few times with the so-called pulls. I don't know, though, I only watched it once.

The Departed was brilliant because of all the connections twisting and turning and the way the actors managed to portray their feelings was really quite realistic all in. Definitely recommend it several times.
Inception sure wasn't short, it was ~2 and a half hours long. The kicks were a bit messed up, but that's just general film...they always shave close with how they do things but in this they did it a bit badly. Especially for people who actually are into dreaming, some things just didn't quite fit in but it was still damn cool. The female character in the movie was terrible though, really 2D and stuff

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Well, I didn't mean to say it was a short film, but that it was too short for the amount of information. Then again, it might not've been as exciting if they took the time to explain more thoroughly. I think Ellen Page was bound to look bad when paired with Leonardo DiCaprio. Cillian Murphy also did a really solid performance, and people were generally doing good jobs, so it was all too obvious Page was the "amateur" of the film.

Oh yes, good point that. it was a massive amount of info and stuff just being loaded to the viewer in the first hour or so, which did stretch out to seem like aaaages, but then in turn did indeed make the actually important sequence of the film (when they're in Fisher's dream) shorter than it should've optimally been.
Well her acting was fine, just the general character that had been made for her was bad. She had the whole omnipotent psychological master of DiCaprio's character's (Cobb) personality but was also of course actually an architect designer by "trade". The three times she glimpses shortly into Cobb's psyche for a short while, she instantly comes to the ultimate conclusions that just seem a bit ridiculous coming out of her mouth. But I suppose that it was kinda necessary to display Cobb's flawed character

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Yay, us can has sticky. :3
Title seems a little long, though.

Does this refer to movies only? or can we refer to TV series as well?
I suppose so, just don't make it a thread where you discuss what you think's going to happen and that kind of stuff. In fact, I'd rather you stick with TV series that you've watched through, ie a whole season at a time. It would make it more in tune with talking about films - and it would also be a more prolific way of recommending TV series to others, I think.

I don't really watch TV series. The last series I actually followed on TV was 24, and I only saw the first two seasons. Occasionally, I watch stuff like CSI, House, Two and a Half Men, Big Bang Theory, Castle and a few more crime shows when I'm with friends or family (I actually don't have a TV myself).. but these aren't really knit together, so it doesn't matter if you skip a few episodes. I'm waiting for the Game of Thrones box release, though, that's going to be a few long nights.

Level 9
Yes, i was referring to those already watched entirely.

Well i wanted to say that i've just finished Medium and Dark Angel... which i liked very much.
Also an old TV series which i finished re-watching a year ago is Stargate SG-1 which i suppose everyone knows about... that is my favorite TV series ever. :)

Level 14
Yay, us can has sticky. :3
Title seems a little long, though.

I suppose so, just don't make it a thread where you discuss what you think's going to happen and that kind of stuff. In fact, I'd rather you stick with TV series that you've watched through, ie a whole season at a time. It would make it more in tune with talking about films - and it would also be a more prolific way of recommending TV series to others, I think.

I don't really watch TV series. The last series I actually followed on TV was 24, and I only saw the first two seasons. Occasionally, I watch stuff like CSI, House, Two and a Half Men, Big Bang Theory, Castle and a few more crime shows when I'm with friends or family (I actually don't have a TV myself).. but these aren't really knit together, so it doesn't matter if you skip a few episodes. I'm waiting for the Game of Thrones box release, though, that's going to be a few long nights.

Game of Thrones was really awesome. The atmosphere goes a little towards Heroes of Might and Magic. I think some of the great things about these series is that it's mostly politically orientated and that episodes are 1h long. Also the story continues onward, so it's not like Xena where each episode was different themed.

Although I didn't like the numerous pr0n scenes. I mean, there is actual pr0n for that with way better looking people in them.

But I did like the gruesome scenes like those in Kingdom of Heaven, aka when that black armored guy beheaded the horse.I also appreciated no bad animated magic was shown, like no pew-pew Harry Potter last movie fighting scenes, shooting lasers from meh wand. And there is no mighty-all-around-hero character, I didn't expect for that character to die so soon. And the story is mostly driven by the characters rather than silly stuff like finding of artefacts, or prophecies or whatever.

oh game of thrones i love you <3
what was really incredible for me was that the child/teenage actors didn't suck. Previously, any show/movie with children as high priority actors were average at best. In this, they were actually really good - Geoffrey was a real douche exactly as specified, Sanza was a portrait at being a bitch and later her more admirable characteristics came out well too. The proper actual children were good too, Bran (?) was decent and Arya (?) was pretty good. The standout IMO was the kid at the Eyrie who was obviously batshit crazy along with his mother. That was a bit of a "wow, wtf" scene for me where a crazy woman and a weirdo kid are running the show. Loved the scenes in the Eyrie though.
Just such a good series