1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Ride into the sunset with the 32nd Modeling Contest. The contest is optionally paired. Best of luck, people!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. This adventure has come to an end. Congratulate our heroes in the 16th Mini Mapping Contest Results.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. From the gates of hell, the 5th Special Effect Contest Results have emerged.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Disapointments with StarCraft 2?

Discussion in 'StarCraft I & II' started by JimBob, Aug 14, 2010.

1. mrzwach

mrzwach

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I don't mean literally killing off, I mean removing them from the storyline completely. Also, uhh, the year is 2500 in Starcraft, so 500 years from the future and there is significant difference in technology. Also, new stuff was introduced in the time between the first great war and the brood war. Its hard to believe that everything is the exact same after 1000 years. :|

2. tagg1080

tagg1080

Resources:
    Resources:

Don't talk about things that you don't know anything about.

3. Anti_Bodies

Anti_Bodies

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  4. tagg1080

tagg1080

Resources:
    Resources:
    I think the game is TOO rock paper scissors like.

Units trump other ones too much for my liking, it should not be that 1 marauder with CS beast 1 zealot, but the lot wit charge wins.

That kind of thing just bugs me, it should not be THAT dependent upon army composition, more upon micro.

5. Anti_Bodies

Anti_Bodies

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well I can agree with that tagg1080. Though if it wasn't like this it might not involve enough strategy that people love so much. But it is annoying when I make an army and my enemy build the exact units that counter it. Warcraft 3 seemed to be a little less rock paper scissors.

6. HINDYhat

HINDYhat

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Probably because the SC1 story wasn't finished?

New players seem to think this a lot. If you go into your games playing something you're hoping your enemy won't easily counter, you're doing it wrong.

There's a difference between rock paper scissors and strategy.

Player's fault, not the game's fault.

7. tagg1080

tagg1080

Resources:
    Resources:
    I just feel that skill with using your army should be more important than army composition.

Right now they are too close for my liking.

8. kola

kola

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    hmm, Actualy its way way more about skills than anything else. IF there is a counter for everything its to balance the game and this way, you can make a fast counter attack and thats why you always need to product even while you attack (when you attack you need to micro). So if you only concentrate yourself on micro-ing, the opponent may destroy your army and have another very fast and kill you.

All this to explain that if blizzard would have concentrate all Sc2 on Micro, no players would have got the full potential of all units because players need to build another army while attacking.

I said that blizzard didn't concentrate all Sc2 on micro but they concentrate on it a lot. Example : There is no Attack animation before the damage (when you click to attack a unit, it immediately damage him, this is very useful to kite units).

Sc2 IS NOT Wc3.

In Wc3, units have a lot of hit points and attack, Losing a unit is very bad for your army because they are all useful alone. In Sc2, it's fast attacks and counter attacks. You have to build your armies in 1-2 mins max or your opponent will come with a bigger army and kill you...

Well, making all units randomly and win would make the game easy and bad. If every units have a counter, it is to add more strategies to the game.

9. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    A good army composition won't be easily countered and thus size and control will come into effect.

However, a bad army composition... well, let's just say you're digging your own grave.

10. MGCǂSpectre

MGCǂSpectre

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Who knows, Anti-Age Pill, Pill of Youth, Jimmy and Sarah got the pill and lived happily ever after. They married somewhere 500 years after SC1. :)

11. MySpaceBarBroke

MySpaceBarBroke

Resources:
    Resources:
    Self-contradiction much?

And no, it wouldn't necessarily add variety. You could just as easily have as much variety with 3 races as you can with 50. You can call this the Sid Meier's Civilization Effect.

Starcraft 2 isn't about the exploration and variety, though it has enough of both. Starcraft 2's focus is the competition and gameplay. And it masters that beautifully.
    There comes a point with the cheap gimmicky shit when the amount of complexity you add to the game just isn't worth taking account of anymore, and the players just start ignoring the mountain of superfluous features you add. Granted, this could work if you don't really want to make a serious competitve arena. Starcraft does.
    I don't have to respect you to be reasonable. In fact, I don't. What have you done to warrant my respect?
    They could; that doesn't mean they have to. You're calling them uncreative because they don't do the typical things you would consider to be creative. If that's not paradoxical in nature, I don't know what is.

12. Anti_Bodies

Anti_Bodies

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    If you don't mind im going to respond right in the quote in red.

I ask everyone to take a breath :). I have faith that Blizzard could of made a fourth faction that a) cooperates with canon, b) balances with the other races and c) fits in well with story/other races. Some people like what is here and to be honest I do here. But I would simply like it more if they had another race. That's it! No harm intended!

13. LucasMapurunga

LucasMapurunga

Resources:
    Resources:
    Never said it would be impossible to create another race. Blizz certainly could add 1,2,3,10 more races if they want too , but it would completely mess the storyline to just have a bunch of alien races appearing out of nowhere

And no one is crying cause of any critics. We are just putting our point here.

14. Anti_Bodies

Anti_Bodies

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Considering they made the protoss, terran, and zerg from scratch I am faith that they could make another unique race that could actually fit into the story line. They are experienced professionals. Just because we arrant imaginative enough to come up with another race/plot doesn't mean they can't either.

15. TWPC7643

TWPC7643

Resources:
    Resources:
    The point is that the Protoss, Terran, and Zerg were there since the beginning of the game. Thus they are fully developed, even the hybrids were mentioned in SC1, though they were never encountered. Adding a fourth race out of nowhere seems like a deux ex machina move on Blizzard's part and it just serves to complicate the storyline. Yes, I agree, Blizzard could possibly make a fourth race to add variety and spice to the game, but they also need to take into account how a fourth race would impact the storyline. the three races, or at least, the important factions within the races, are already trying to deal with the onset of the hybrid invasion, adding another race would just further complicate the plot and would not contribute at all to the current storyline. Blizzard has ALWAYS tried to finish a storyline arc before moving on to the next. Examples: Lich King --> Deathwing, or even Diablo --> apparently Azmodan and Belial. They have never tried to add a new faction before finishing a significant arc within the plot. After all, what is the point of adding a fourth race if no one even understands why they even exist in the first place?

16. kola

kola

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    i think that you are right on this point, They are professionals and they made 3 races because they though that making more races would not be good for Sc2.

17. Just_Spectating

Just_Spectating

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    if you like a lot of races (for some reason)
    then you can make your own in warcraft and just play that

18. JimBob

JimBob

Resources:
    Resources:
    He's not asking for a lot of races, but just to see a new race. As long as it fits the storyline and is well balanced with the other races than I don't see a problem with it. If Blizzard screws up(which they usually don't when it comes to gameplay) than oh well, they were taking a risk. It would be risky adding another race, but I think they could do it and if it goes along with the terms above than why not? If Blizzard could add another awesome race that fits in perfectly with the others than wouldn't you want them to do it? I'd say, go for it. Although, it's probably too late for them to do that for SC2, so we'll just have to wait for SC3.

Could they have done this for SC2 ahead of time? Probably, but not likely. Their teams are small and most of Blizzard is focusing on WoW. In fact, they had to take a year break in development of SC2 to help work on WoW. The delay for Battle.net2 slowed the development down as well.

19. Anti_Bodies

Anti_Bodies

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    finally someone who understands!

20. Just_Spectating

Just_Spectating

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins: