• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

DirectX Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
Before I get into detail, let me explain my situation.

I have a MacBook Pro with Windows 7 installed on it, and is operating DirectX 11. My other computer is a desktop and until now it has been without anything on the hard disk.

Anyways, the desktop has been installed with Windows XP (Service Pack 3), and from there I installed WarCraft III. I have been doing a little messing around with the DirectX files, so right now my computer doesn't seem to be able to identify the version of DirectX, yet WarCraft III still runs fine.

I have done quite a bit to screw around with DirectX, but WarCraft III still remains working so it can't be too critical. I have tried deleting the registries, restarting, and re-installing, with absolutely no progress. It doesn't even see like deleting the registries did anything.

I downloaded the DirectX SDK (August 2009) from the Microsoft website and that had error code S1023 in the middle of installation.

There was one time I managed to get DirectX "almost" installed, until I got a message saying "Cabinet file... is not trusted..." and then it failed to install. Since when did DirectX suck so much?​

I have been able to fully install DirectX 9.0c on my notebook (MacBook Pro) with Windows 7 (and DirectX 11) on it. The installation I used was the "dxwebsetup.exe", which failed miserably on my Windows XP (SP3) desktop. I can also now open Magos' War3ModelEditor properly, without the missing DLL error.

Due to a battle.net patching error, I had to re-install WarCraft III. On re-installation, it notified me that I did not have a correct version of DirectX for the game. I installed (obviously) so we'll see where this takes me. ++ Start > Run > "dxdiag" - shows that my current version of DirectX is 9.0c (4.1....) or something.

Okay, so my problem now is I cannot get Magos' War3ModelEditor to run. When I click on the application, it gives me the error saying "d3dx9_35.dll" is missing. Since executing the "dxwebsetup.exe" file on Windows 7 fixed this issue, it would seem I am going to need to be able to run the "dxwebsetup.exe" installer in order to fix the problem. In the middle of installation, I get an error as follows:

A cabinet file necessary for installation cannot be trusted. Please verify the Cryptographic Services are enabled and the cabinet file certificate is valid.

My "Cryptographic Services" are enabled.

Windows crashed when I opened up the Google page on "How to enable Cryptographic Services". Funny.

On my easter egg hunt, I came across a system tool known as "System File Checker" or "SFC". I'm running this now in hopes that perhaps it will help me solve this dilemma. For some reason I had to insert the disc into my bottom CD-Drive (even though the "Welcome To Windows XP" window showed up, so the Drive is working) for it to recognize that it was in my computer.

Last edited:
Level 18
The message is some sort of validation error if I'm not correct. It wouldn't cause the crash of the machine. The fact that I was screwing around with DirectX registries probably had something to do with it. I still want to get Magos' working on my desktop though.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
XP is not DX11 compatible.
XP is stuck at DX9.0c or something so you will need to get an updater which supports that. No DX10 or 11 stuff can legally be put on XP.

Try reinstalling your OS or deleting that DLL manually and repairing, it could be a stupid issue like that.

Level 18
My Windows XP does not have DirectX 11, it has DirectX 9.0c. My Windows 7 has DirectX 11, but my Windows 7 can run War3ModelEditor. The problem is DirectX 9.0c for some reason does not have the "d3dx9_35.dll" file and War3ModelEditor requires it to work. I would have no idea how to "add" the file to DirectX even if I had a downloaded version of it. On top of that it may/may not work, I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.