• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft DirectX Error on Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
i, i'm using vista o my pc, when i install Warcraft III, it installed successfully, but when i played it, it says:
Warcraft III was unable to initialize DirectX. Please ensure you have DirectX 8.1 or newer installed and that your display driver are current. DirectX may be found on your Warcraft III install CD under Options.

but i already have DirectX 10. I tried using compatibility to XP SP 2, and use administrator mode, but it still don't work.

and it say another error:
Please verify that your Froze Throne disc is in your CD-ROM drive, then click on 'Retry'

and i have installed patch 1.22, it should doesn't need CD.

So, how can i solve this?

Last edited:
Level 15
Try uninstalling Warcraft 3 and installing it somewhere other than Program Files. for example, try installing to: C:\Warcraft3

Then download and install the latest 1.23 patch:
Blizzard Support

Let us know if either of these things help. :smile:

Level 10
I've try re-install it a couple of time and it didn't work.

Try uninstalling Warcraft 3 and installing it somewhere other than Program Files. for example, try installing to: C:\Warcraft3

Then download and install the latest 1.23 patch:
Blizzard Support
ok, I'll re-install it again to other path

EDIT:

it still don't work. I install it to E:\Blizzard\Warcraft III
and still don't work. It say same as my first post.

At patch 1.20, only CD required is asked.
but after i upgraded to 1.21 or above, it say about DirectX 8.1.
and upgrading to 1.23 still give nothing.

Last edited:
Level 34
I'm guessing E:\ is a second drive or a partition, right?

Have you tried installing an older directx?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Have you tried installing an older directx?
Too bad he is using vista, and thus the oldest direct X it supports is 10. For DX9 compatibility it should use DX9k or something which is a specially emulation for backwards compatibility.

I would advise reinstalling DX10 or repairing it. If that does not help, make sure your graphic drivers are up to date. If that does not help, try disabling the aero effect.

If it still gives problems try a total system reinstall of the OS.

My brother's vista PC runs WC3 TFT ultra fast with no lags and no graphic problem at all.

Level 15
Try running WC3 in OpenGL mode (run the EXE with -opengl after it).

For example, open the run prompt and enter:
Code:
"E:\Blizzard\Warcraft III\war3.exe" -opengl

Level 10
Try running WC3 in OpenGL mode (run the EXE with -opengl after it).

For example, open the run prompt and enter:
Code:
"E:\Blizzard\Warcraft III\war3.exe" -opengl
ok! now it can running! but one problem is revealed.
When i start wc3, it extremely very slow. And the button are lost. I'm attach the screen shot.

Attachments

• wc3.jpg
    wc3.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 182
Level 15
ok! now it can running! but one problem is revealed.
When i start wc3, it extremely very slow. And the button are lost. I'm attach the screen shot.

That looks seriously bad. On my computer, OpenGL looks almost exactly like DirectX, with a few very minor differences.

Have you updated your graphics driver to the latest version?

Level 10
That looks seriously bad. On my computer, OpenGL looks almost exactly like DirectX, with a few very minor differences.

Have you updated your graphics driver to the latest version?
I think this is my problem.

Where i can update Graphics Driver?

My driver is Standard VGA Graphics Adapter with version 6.00.6000.16386.
And i think this is too old version.

Or, i must change my Graphic Card?

Last edited:
Level 10
i don't know what graphic card I use, so i attach the image.

It say have 16 MB frame buffer size and up to 64 MB.
I don't even know if it compatible with vista, I'm just upgrading it a days ago.

Attachments

• display.jpg
    display.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 148
Level 34
You have on board graphics, which means instead of a dedicated video card, you're using the motherboards graphics chip. In this case the VIA PM4800 Pro.

I couldn't find any drivers out there for you, sorry. Be aware of all the spyware sites out there, I found at least five while looking.

Anyone have a good driver update program they know of? I usually find the driver myself.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
You have on board graphics

Get a graphics card and then try, you are not meant to game with intrigrated graphics. There is a reason why nvidia and ati design graphics cards, and that is to render games and similar things. I am not even too sure how intrigrated graphics work, but they certainly do not have the shader and GPU power of even the most basic of modern video cards.

If you are on a laptop, I advise getting another PC to game, as laptops with intergrated graphics are not meant to game.
Windows vista does not help this.

In the end, even if you do get it to run, it will still probably not run that well, so do not be supprized if you suffer lag in some maps.

Level 34
Get a graphics card and then try, you are not meant to game with intrigrated graphics. There is a reason why nvidia and ati design graphics cards, and that is to render games and similar things. I am not even too sure how intrigrated graphics work, but they certainly do not have the shader and GPU power of even the most basic of modern video cards.

If you are on a laptop, I advise getting another PC to game, as laptops with intergrated graphics are not meant to game.
Windows vista does not help this.

In the end, even if you do get it to run, it will still probably not run that well, so do not be supprized if you suffer lag in some maps.
Not sure how old his integrated is, but I used to run wc3 just fine on my Dad's motherboard. He doesn't "need" a card.

Level 15
i don't know what graphic card I use, so i attach the image.

It say have 16 MB frame buffer size and up to 64 MB.
I don't even know if it compatible with vista, I'm just upgrading it a days ago.
That's an integrated graphics processor, and a very old one at that. You could try installing the latest graphics driver, available here:
http://www.viaarena.com/Driver/via_hyperionpro_v522a.zip

After extracting the zip file, run the Setup program and install the AGP graphics driver.

Level 34
Yes you may be able to on modern ones as WC3 is stone old, but if his is low qualty (cheap) or old, then not.
Remember that wc3 is old.

That's an integrated graphics processor, and a very old one at that. You could try installing the latest graphics driver, available here:

After extracting the zip file, run the Setup program and install the AGP graphics driver.
That page isn't loading. Could be Chrome though, didn't try in FF or IE.

Edit: Maybe it is. I DL the zip file, but I didn't even notice. Odd.

Level 2
You have on board graphics, which means instead of a dedicated video card, you're using the motherboards graphics chip. In this case the VIA PM4800 Pro.

I couldn't find any drivers out there for you, sorry. Be aware of all the spyware sites out there, I found at least five while looking.

Anyone have a good driver update program they know of? I usually find the driver myself.

i have.. i can share the link but i think hive doesnt support cracked software

Level 10

wew... I have installed it successfully, and it still give the same error:
Warcraft III was unable to initialize DirectX. Please ensure you have DirectX 8.1 or newer installed and that your display driver are current. DirectX may be found on your Warcraft III install CD under Options.

maybe I must change or update my graphic card....

Status
Not open for further replies.