• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft III not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
After leaving WCIII for about 2 years, I decided to come back to it today because I remembered how to do a map I was working on. I re-installed it and I went straight to the world editor. I re-made what I had, and when I opened WCIII TFT, It told me "Warcraft III was unable to initialize DirectX. Please ensure that you have DirectX 8.1 or newer installed and that your display drivers are current. DirectX may be found on your Warcraft III install CD under Options."

I looked at the WCIII TFT disc, and there was no options. I run Windows XP and Warcraft III has worked on this computer. Since I stopped playing though I upgraded my video card to a 1650. Can anyone help?

EDIT: If this is in the wrong forum, excuse me because I was looking for a place and this seemed to be the most likely place to put it.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Well since you change graphic cards it is probably struggling to find DX support, especially since it is ATI (ATI have a lot of bad compatibility).

The quickest possiable fix is to start WC3 TFT in -openGL mode which will basically use a replacement for direct X.

A propper fix is more complicated and as I have never experienced anything like this, the only thing I can say is make sure everything is up to date.

Level 32
  • Microsoft has plenty of DirectX resources available.

• It might be advisable to update your Warcaft III by applying the latest patch, see: Warcraft 3 patch 1.21b

• [self="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=360"]
    peonforum.gif
    Very first post Makii? !ntroduce yourself to The Hive![/self]

Status
Not open for further replies.