• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Development: Shadebark Forest Survival

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Shadebark Forest Survival

Story:
You and your friends were returning from a camping journey in a distant land with a hired goblin zeppelin. But unfortunately something got wrong! The zeppelin lost it's power and crashed! Some of you survived the crash but you found yourselves in a strange gloomy and unfriendly forest with no means of communication!
You are on your own now! From the zeppelin you saw a human millitary outpost in the distance. Can you survive with whatever camping skills and provisions you have ? Can you overcome the wild animals, the hunger, the fatigue and the scary nights in this cursed forest?
It remains to be seen....

Planned Features:
  • Survival game with 2 modes: with and without revival. Includes "-restart" option.
  • Hunger system: Eat meat, fruit or cooked meals to stay alive.
  • Energy system: You lose energy. Stay near heat sources to avoid fatigue.
  • Dynamic play: Move your base from 1 place to another, deeper into the forest, when you have developed.
  • Stone gathering: Instead of gold you use stones. Depending on the terrain you are standing on you find a different amount of stones.
  • Potion brewing: Brew potions to increas your health, energy, speed and other attributes and to heal your injuries.
  • Day/Night cycle: Explore, hunt, gather and relocate during the day and stay in your base at night when evil spirits will haunt the map!
  • Different builders: Choose what builder you want as your survivor! Each of them has pros and cons.
  • Teamwork: Specialize in whatever you like best: hunting, brewing, resource gathering, item searching, building, spiritualism (needed to defend during the nights), etc.
  • More to come!

• Villager:
    Pros:
    - Harvests lumber faster
    - Finds more stones
    - Repairs faster
    - Has a dog companion
    Cons:
    - Low damage and armor
    - Nothing very special in him
  • Fighter:
    Pros:
    - Large damage
    - Lots of health and energy
    - Good Armor
    Cons:
    - Needs to eat a lot
    - Slow attack
  • Wood Elf:
    Pros:
    - Bonuses in herbalism
    - Special skills of finding herbs
    - Has spells and items against evil spirits
    Cons:
    - Not very strong
    - Not very good for harvesting
  • Craftsman:
    Pros:
    - Big bonus in finding stones
    - Can produce unique items
    - Has the mining ability
    - Can upgrade building HP and armor
    - Can brew ale
    Cons:
    - Limited use outside the base
    - Not very good at harvesting trees
    - Gets tired pretty quickly
  • Pandaren:
    Pros:
    - Can plant some herbs
    - Has healing magic
    - Can summon Nature Spirit
    - Runs out of energy slower
    Cons:
    - Not good at getting stones
    - Spells cost a lot of energy
    - Not very strong
  • Worgen:
    Pros:
    - Fast
    - Good attack
    - Good Armor
    - Adept at hunting
    - Good Health
    Cons:
    - Not good at getting stones
    - Eats a lot
    - Can't build a lot of structures
  • Engineer:
    Pros:
    - Has great items and explosives
    - Can build strong defences
    - Carries a lot of lumber
    - Doesn't eat much
    - Repairs faster
    Cons:
    - Not very strong
    - Low damage
    - Requires a lot of materials
    - Not very useful alone

• Villager: Farm -> Produces different kinds of food provisions. Can also be used to produce chicken and gather eggs.
  • Fighter: Hunting Lodge -> Contains items, useful for hunting enemies and fighting non-spirit undead, such as spears, nets, traps etc. [Requesting model!]
  • Wood Elf: Sanctuary -> Used for druidism and anti-evil magic. Houses the secrets of the Wood Elves.
  • Craftsman: Forge -> Used for crafting weapons, armor, mechanics and defences. Also contains upgrades.
  • Pandaren: Garden -> Grows herbs and contains researches. [Requesting model!]
  • Worgen: -N/A- -> /This class doesn't have a special structure/
  • Engineer: Lab -> Used for creating different items such as explosives and defences.

Animals:
  • Lizard: Fast, Very Common, Very Low HP, No Attack, Drops: Very Low Food
  • Rabbit: Very fast, Common, Low HP, No Attack, Drops: Low Food, Rabbit Fur
  • Deer: Fast, Common, Med HP, No Attack, Drops: Some Food, Deer Hide, 1 Bone
  • Small Spider: Average speed, Uncommon, Low HP, Posion Attack, Drops: 1 Venom
  • Big Spider: Average Speed, Uncommon, Med HP, Strong Poision Attack, Drops: 3 Venom
  • Wolf: Fast, Common, Med+ HP, Med+ Attack, Drops: Med Food, Wolf Hide, 2 Bone
  • Boar: Average Speed, Common, High HP, Med Attack, Drops: High Food, 2 Bone
  • Bear: Slow Speed, Uncommon, High+ HP, High+ Attack, Drops: High Food, Bear Hide, 3 Bone
  • Panther: Very Fast, Rare, High HP, High+ Fast Attack + Critical, Drops: Med Food, Panther Blood, 3 Bone

Boss Animals:
  • Mammoth: Average Speed, Ultra High HP, Ultra High Attack, Spells Drops: Ultra High Food, Mammoth Hide, 2 Tusk, 7 Bone
  • Sasquatch: Average Speed, Ultra High HP, Ultra High Attack, Spells Drops: Ultra High Food, 2 Sasquatch Claw, 7 Bone
  • Naga: Average Speed, High HP, High Attack, Strong Spells, Drops: Magic Pendant, Naga Sap, 2 Naga Claw

Note: All animals have Animal Reflexes Spell which grants them 23% evasion.

Screenshots:
Coming Soon!

Progress:
  • Ideas: 50%
  • Terrain: 15%
  • Custom 2D/3D art: 40%
  • Systems: 15%
  • Object Editor: 25%
  • Triggers: 15%
  • Items: 10%
  • Overall: ~25%

Needed:
  • Ideas!
  • People who can help with: systems, models
  • Time (obviously xD)

• Loadgin screen
  • Minimap Preview
  • 7 Survivor types
  • Hunger system
  • Stone gathering system
  • Normal animal types
  • Few buildings
  • Multiboard
  • Even more buildings.
  • Gate System.
  • Few Upgrades and Abilities.

• Windu
  • MrStormyZ
  • JokeMaster

Please leave your interesting and creative responses below. Thank you.

Last edited:
Level 23
Ooooh, me like! =D
Though you should have not only spirits but also undead from local ancient crypts and animals.
Would also be cool if you told us what buildings will be there. Cuz I love buildings.

Also, Pandaren(not Panderan) and Worgen seem rather weird Oo

Level 15
Well The Panda and the Worgen are just other possibilites ... you were a group of friends, campers, not warriors... so yeah xD
Besides we need a healer and a beastmaster classes after all xD

The buildings - I will add them to description as soon as I have any idea what they will be. For now - only 1 basic tent is in progress.

And yes, there will be "physical" enemies - zombies and undead and "spiritual" spirits (sounds stupid >.< ) attacking you at night. During the day - you hunt animals for skins, food, bones, feathers, venom etc.

I sure hope you will test with me.

Level 15
Hm, that "scary night" theme somewhat reminded me of Arkham Horror table-top game and that's what I thought you might implement:

Every night, something weird happens - for instance, an ancient necromancer rises and summons lots of undead and he must be dealt with (he is not strong, but can only be killed during night, making it more difficult), or some items appear, hidden about the map and so on and so on. If you played Arkham Horror, I'm referring to the Mythos cards =)

Anyway, apart from that you may add "dangerous terrain" - swamps, roots of evil trees (that will try to damage your base) and so on. That terrain shouldn't be obvious, leaving just minor hints instead (for instance, swamp could be hinted at by lily leaves, roots - by northrend thorny shrubs and so on)

Sorry for intelliginble language, I'm damn sleepy. Will correct it tomorrow =)

Level 23
Yeah! And protoplasms, and ghouls coming from underground at night...

Oh and I propose that you make dungeons, like ancient underground temple, forgotten treasury, dark cave, ancient underground necropolis, mine... and they would have powerful artifacts and bosses, and perhaps as Trillum proposed killing the boss would stop additional amount of mobs attacking from the dungeon.

Level 23
Would be too complicated. And would require a lot of models which would make the size of the map bigger.

And I still propose that we have humans, without pandaren or worgen. Okay, maybe with dwarves and elves =P
I think the races we should have are Pandaren, Human, Dwarf and Elf.

Level 15
Why not everyone choose their race (human, worgen and elf) then choose their profession (builder, etc)

You didnt get it, dude.
You do choose your survivor from one of the 7 types: Villager, Fighter, Wood Elf, Craftsman, Panda, Engineer, Worgen

And there will be no professions in the meaning of it, but different things to do - like hunt down enemies, fight bosses, plant crops and herbs, build and repair defences and buildings, craft items, item upgrades and armor, gather resources and send them to your allies, etc.

Do u see why I need all these races now ? :)
------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, and the idea of the game is to slowly move your base towards the other end of the map, so there is no point in building it in a dungeon :?

Level 9
Hey, dude! It's me, Illidan_Hunter, your old goblin-campaign mate.
I wish you good luck with your new project and I hope you'll finish this one. As I read it's something similar to Island Troll Tribes?

Level 9
Well, you can always mark me as a beta tester. :D
I'm also thinking at reviving the Legacy of Goblins campaign but with a new storyline.

Edit: Also, reciently, I've began working in 2D-Modding, so I might help you with some icons and such if needed.

Level 15
Feinitely needed.

I have a job for you right away:
I've been searching for some food icons - can me u make me that ?

1. A bowl of soup
2. Some vegetable-like dish
3. A dish with meat
4. A salad

If you can make 1 or more of these - it will be highly appreciated. :)

P.S.
If u want to be on the team - just say so. As long as u are active. :p

P.S.2
Yeyyyy my 100 rep :p

Level 9
Alright, I've started working on the 1st request, though making something from scrath is very hard and I'm not very experienced in free hand. But until now all looks good. I'll probably show it to you after school at around 18:00 Battle.Net time (@Europe).

- sd

Level 23
Here is my idea:
There will be except defencive buildings only a few used for other stuff.
1.Fireplace, from which you make food and using which you construct other buildings with resources
2.Tent where you can rest
3.Lumbermill is where you can make lumber out of wood logs you get for usage, and simple defences
4.Stonemason is where you can turn rocks into stone and also make weaponry and more advanced defences

Level 15
Very good idea actually.

I thought of somthing simillar. To have a limited amout of production buildings, so that the base can be easily moved with 1 inventory.

Tent - for rest, upgrades and lumber returning. Might also produce something, as a pack horse.
Fire Pit -> Cualdron - used for many things:
- cooking meat and meals
- breweing potions and ale
- sight range
- lowers armor of beasts
- slowly recovers energy
Tool Shed - For upgrades and researches
Some resource building - for your idea of forming lumber into logs and rocks into stone, for more advanced defences and walls.

Additionally, every race will have something special as:
Villager : Farm
Wood Elf : Sanctuary
Panda : Garden
Goblin : Lab

etc.

Also, the torch will be a cheap building that can be useful for knowing what is around your base. Low cost, fast building time and gives sight range and animal armor reduction.

---------------------------------------------------
Update:
Added the spacial buildings for each class!!

ATTENTION: 2 of them require models! Please, if anyone can help make some simple models - write here! Credits and rep are guaranteed!

Level 9
'Sup.

About the bowl of soup stuff...it turned out to be a complete fail for my first 2D made from scrath...I'm not good at drawing food (I don't even like soup in real life).
btnwindu.jpg

Level 9
Alright, here it is:

btnwindu.jpg

windu.jpg

I still highly suggest you to get an experienced 2D artist. xD

Attachments

• BTNWindu.blp
    6.5 KB · Views: 81
  • DISBTNWindu.blp
    6.5 KB · Views: 71
Level 7
i will keep on my eyes in this project.It seem nice combination of all survival things.
edit1:maybe u can add ore?gold ore,silver ore and all type of ore
edit 2:I like this type of map very much XD even trying to remember the recipe of building

Last edited:
Level 4
Hey Windu, I really like your idea and its cool... i think it should be more human-like, so please add some sickness like cough, flu, broken leg, infection, and many more sickness , i think it will be cool.. Also add some that could spread like swine flu or something else...

You can also add trigger that if your hero get a broken leg,you should gather a wood to make a walking stick... or if you got swine flu your hero must get away from your friends, because example : every 15 second, your hero will cough and can spread some virus..

[EDIT] Adding some disease will make your map better (in my opinion), because in survival (i have the survival club in my school) your stamina is extremely drained.. My suggestion is add the system that in the night the air will be so cold & freezing, add water bottle is also good idea, and set some river that is poisoned so if we gather water from there it will be poisoned.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.