1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Development: Shadebark Forest Survival

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by Windu, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Windu

Windu

Resources:
    Resources:
    Shadebark Forest Survival

Story:
    You and your friends were returning from a camping journey in a distant land with a hired goblin zeppelin. But unfortunately something got wrong! The zeppelin lost it's power and crashed! Some of you survived the crash but you found yourselves in a strange gloomy and unfriendly forest with no means of communication!
    You are on your own now! From the zeppelin you saw a human millitary outpost in the distance. Can you survive with whatever camping skills and provisions you have ? Can you overcome the wild animals, the hunger, the fatigue and the scary nights in this cursed forest?
    It remains to be seen....

Planned Features:
    • Survival game with 2 modes: with and without revival. Includes "-restart" option.
    • Hunger system: Eat meat, fruit or cooked meals to stay alive.
    • Energy system: You lose energy. Stay near heat sources to avoid fatigue.
    • Dynamic play: Move your base from 1 place to another, deeper into the forest, when you have developed.
    • Stone gathering: Instead of gold you use stones. Depending on the terrain you are standing on you find a different amount of stones.
    • Potion brewing: Brew potions to increas your health, energy, speed and other attributes and to heal your injuries.
    • Day/Night cycle: Explore, hunt, gather and relocate during the day and stay in your base at night when evil spirits will haunt the map!
    • Different builders: Choose what builder you want as your survivor! Each of them has pros and cons.
    • Teamwork: Specialize in whatever you like best: hunting, brewing, resource gathering, item searching, building, spiritualism (needed to defend during the nights), etc.
    • More to come!

Survivor Types:

• Villager:
      Pros:
      - Harvests lumber faster
      - Finds more stones
      - Repairs faster
      - Has a dog companion
      Cons:
      - Low damage and armor
      - Nothing very special in him
    • Fighter:
      Pros:
      - Large damage
      - Lots of health and energy
      - Good Armor
      Cons:
      - Needs to eat a lot
      - Slow attack
    • Wood Elf:
      Pros:
      - Bonuses in herbalism
      - Special skills of finding herbs
      - Has spells and items against evil spirits
      Cons:
      - Not very strong
      - Not very good for harvesting
    • Craftsman:
      Pros:
      - Big bonus in finding stones
      - Can produce unique items
      - Has the mining ability
      - Can upgrade building HP and armor
      - Can brew ale
      Cons:
      - Limited use outside the base
      - Not very good at harvesting trees
      - Gets tired pretty quickly
    • Pandaren:
      Pros:
      - Can plant some herbs
      - Has healing magic
      - Can summon Nature Spirit
      - Runs out of energy slower
      Cons:
      - Not good at getting stones
      - Spells cost a lot of energy
      - Not very strong
    • Worgen:
      Pros:
      - Fast
      - Good attack
      - Good Armor
      - Adept at hunting
      - Good Health
      Cons:
      - Not good at getting stones
      - Eats a lot
      - Can't build a lot of structures
    • Engineer:
      Pros:
      - Has great items and explosives
      - Can build strong defences
      - Carries a lot of lumber
      - Doesn't eat much
      - Repairs faster
      Cons:
      - Not very strong
      - Low damage
      - Requires a lot of materials
      - Not very useful alone

Special Buildings:

• Villager: Farm -> Produces different kinds of food provisions. Can also be used to produce chicken and gather eggs.
    • Fighter: Hunting Lodge -> Contains items, useful for hunting enemies and fighting non-spirit undead, such as spears, nets, traps etc. [Requesting model!]
    • Wood Elf: Sanctuary -> Used for druidism and anti-evil magic. Houses the secrets of the Wood Elves.
    • Craftsman: Forge -> Used for crafting weapons, armor, mechanics and defences. Also contains upgrades.
    • Pandaren: Garden -> Grows herbs and contains researches. [Requesting model!]
    • Worgen: -N/A- -> /This class doesn't have a special structure/
    • Engineer: Lab -> Used for creating different items such as explosives and defences.

Animals:

Animals:
    • Lizard: Fast, Very Common, Very Low HP, No Attack, Drops: Very Low Food
    • Rabbit: Very fast, Common, Low HP, No Attack, Drops: Low Food, Rabbit Fur
    • Deer: Fast, Common, Med HP, No Attack, Drops: Some Food, Deer Hide, 1 Bone
    • Small Spider: Average speed, Uncommon, Low HP, Posion Attack, Drops: 1 Venom
    • Big Spider: Average Speed, Uncommon, Med HP, Strong Poision Attack, Drops: 3 Venom
    • Wolf: Fast, Common, Med+ HP, Med+ Attack, Drops: Med Food, Wolf Hide, 2 Bone
    • Boar: Average Speed, Common, High HP, Med Attack, Drops: High Food, 2 Bone
    • Bear: Slow Speed, Uncommon, High+ HP, High+ Attack, Drops: High Food, Bear Hide, 3 Bone
    • Panther: Very Fast, Rare, High HP, High+ Fast Attack + Critical, Drops: Med Food, Panther Blood, 3 Bone

Boss Animals:
    • Mammoth: Average Speed, Ultra High HP, Ultra High Attack, Spells Drops: Ultra High Food, Mammoth Hide, 2 Tusk, 7 Bone
    • Sasquatch: Average Speed, Ultra High HP, Ultra High Attack, Spells Drops: Ultra High Food, 2 Sasquatch Claw, 7 Bone
    • Naga: Average Speed, High HP, High Attack, Strong Spells, Drops: Magic Pendant, Naga Sap, 2 Naga Claw

Note: All animals have Animal Reflexes Spell which grants them 23% evasion.

Screenshots:
    Coming Soon!

Progress:
    • Ideas: 50%
    • Terrain: 15%
    • Custom 2D/3D art: 40%
    • Systems: 15%
    • Object Editor: 25%
    • Triggers: 15%
    • Items: 10%
    • Overall: ~25%

Needed:
    • Ideas!
    • People who can help with: systems, models
    • Time (obviously xD)

Done So Far:

• Loadgin screen
    • Minimap Preview
    • 7 Survivor types
    • Hunger system
    • Stone gathering system
    • Normal animal types
    • Few buildings
    • Multiboard
    • Even more buildings.
    • Gate System.
    • Few Upgrades and Abilities.

Team:

• Windu
    • MrStormyZ
    • JokeMaster

Please leave your interesting and creative responses below. Thank you.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  2. Alagremm

Alagremm

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Ooooh, me like! =D
    Though you should have not only spirits but also undead from local ancient crypts and animals.
    Would also be cool if you told us what buildings will be there. Cuz I love buildings.

Also, Pandaren(not Panderan) and Worgen seem rather weird Oo

3. Windu

Windu

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well The Panda and the Worgen are just other possibilites ... you were a group of friends, campers, not warriors... so yeah xD
    Besides we need a healer and a beastmaster classes after all xD

The buildings - I will add them to description as soon as I have any idea what they will be. For now - only 1 basic tent is in progress.

And yes, there will be "physical" enemies - zombies and undead and "spiritual" spirits (sounds stupid >.< ) attacking you at night. During the day - you hunt animals for skins, food, bones, feathers, venom etc.

I sure hope you will test with me.

4. Phoonix

Phoonix

Resources:
    Resources:
    so it's similar to Goblin Exploration? if it is i would be very interested in seeing this finished.

5. Windu

Windu

Resources:
    Resources:
    Similar ... kind of xD

Updates:
    ------------------------------------
    - Added List of animals
    - Work on the map itself

6. Alagremm

Alagremm

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Cool, a mammoth.

7. chr2

chr2

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Sounds interesting. Is this what you needed the icon for? :p

8. Windu

Windu

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yes, it most definitely is.

What would you guys want to see in a map like that? Come on! Share your ideas :p

9. Trillium

Trillium

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hm, that "scary night" theme somewhat reminded me of Arkham Horror table-top game and that's what I thought you might implement:

Every night, something weird happens - for instance, an ancient necromancer rises and summons lots of undead and he must be dealt with (he is not strong, but can only be killed during night, making it more difficult), or some items appear, hidden about the map and so on and so on. If you played Arkham Horror, I'm referring to the Mythos cards =)

Anyway, apart from that you may add "dangerous terrain" - swamps, roots of evil trees (that will try to damage your base) and so on. That terrain shouldn't be obvious, leaving just minor hints instead (for instance, swamp could be hinted at by lily leaves, roots - by northrend thorny shrubs and so on)

Sorry for intelliginble language, I'm damn sleepy. Will correct it tomorrow =)

10. Alagremm

Alagremm

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Yeah! And protoplasms, and ghouls coming from underground at night...

Oh and I propose that you make dungeons, like ancient underground temple, forgotten treasury, dark cave, ancient underground necropolis, mine... and they would have powerful artifacts and bosses, and perhaps as Trillum proposed killing the boss would stop additional amount of mobs attacking from the dungeon.

11. Trillium

Trillium

Resources:
    Resources:
    Dugeons are too much I suppose. It's survival, not RPG, after all.

12. Windu

Windu

Resources:
    Resources:
    How would u even survive a dungeob, when u have to carry food to stop your hunger from killing you ... but bosses- surely.

Update:
    THe map is away for terraning for 1-2 days. For now - I am gathering ideas.

13. Alagremm

Alagremm

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Im not saying its going to be a a damn big dungeon. I mean just a not too big L-shaped dungeon or mine. And the plus of dungeons is that if you have cleared them you can build your base there!

14. Antipode

Antipode

Resources:
    Resources:
    Why not everyone choose their race (human, worgen and elf) then choose their profession (builder, etc)

15. Alagremm

Alagremm

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Would be too complicated. And would require a lot of models which would make the size of the map bigger.

And I still propose that we have humans, without pandaren or worgen. Okay, maybe with dwarves and elves =P
    I think the races we should have are Pandaren, Human, Dwarf and Elf.

16. Antipode

Antipode

Resources:
    Resources:
    Maybe the professions will just attach stuff onto the units?

17. Windu

Windu

Resources:
    Resources:
    You didnt get it, dude.
    You do choose your survivor from one of the 7 types: Villager, Fighter, Wood Elf, Craftsman, Panda, Engineer, Worgen

And there will be no professions in the meaning of it, but different things to do - like hunt down enemies, fight bosses, plant crops and herbs, build and repair defences and buildings, craft items, item upgrades and armor, gather resources and send them to your allies, etc.

Do u see why I need all these races now ? :)
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, and the idea of the game is to slowly move your base towards the other end of the map, so there is no point in building it in a dungeon :?

18. Alagremm

Alagremm

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Well there is actually. In it you can fortify for some time and easily defend against attacks, and meanwhile get more advanced, then be able to repaidly move towards the other end.

19. Windu

Windu

Resources:
    Resources:
    You got a point there ... perhaps , I'll think about it. But the dungeons have to be really small, so u dont die of hunger yill u get to the end of the dungeon.

Good idea ^^

20. Alagremm

Alagremm

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Well yea, very small.