• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Trigger] Detecting map hackers trigger?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
  • Untitled Trigger 001
    • Events
      • Time - Every 2.00 seconds of game time
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set MHCount = False
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units within 500.00 of (Position of Shade 0013 <gen>)) and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            • If - Conditions
              • ((Owner of (Picked unit)) is in Humans) Equal to True
            • Then - Actions
              • Set MHCount = False
              • Game - Display to (All players) the text: doesnt mh
            • Else - Actions
                • If - Conditions
                  • (Shade 0013 <gen> is fogged to Player 1 (Red)) Equal to False
                • Then - Actions
                  • Set MHCount = True
                  • Game - Display to (All players) the text: Map hack detected
                • Else - Actions
I just came up with this, basically I have a invisible unit on the map. And I'm checking if any unit is within X distance(visible range of the unit) and if they are within distance return a message that map hack is not happening. While if no enemy team units are near this invisible unit and the unit is not fogged to that user return that it is map hacking. I was wondering has anyone tried doing something like this?

Level 19
  • Untitled Trigger 001
    • Events
      • Time - Every 2.00 seconds of game time
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set MHCount = False
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units within 500.00 of (Position of Shade 0013 <gen>)) and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
            • If - Conditions
              • ((Owner of (Picked unit)) is in Humans) Equal to True
            • Then - Actions
              • Set MHCount = False
              • Game - Display to (All players) the text: doesnt mh
            • Else - Actions
                • If - Conditions
                  • (Shade 0013 <gen> is fogged to Player 1 (Red)) Equal to False
                • Then - Actions
                  • Set MHCount = True
                  • Game - Display to (All players) the text: Map hack detected
                • Else - Actions
I just came up with this, basically I have a invisible unit on the map. And I'm checking if any unit is within X distance(visible range of the unit) and if they are within distance return a message that map hack is not happening. While if no enemy team units are near this invisible unit and the unit is not fogged to that user return that it is map hacking. I was wondering has anyone tried doing something like this?
This is quite a brilliant so solution to prevent map theft

Though it will not stop someone from being able to steal your map, it will make their lives a pain in the ass in order for them to succeed:)

Great job and no I don't believe anyone has thought of this idea before:D

Level 11
I'm no expert on map hacking but IIRC the game thinks that fog of war and black mask is still in effect. So I think that trigger will return that the unit is fogged whether one is map hacking or not.

Typical methods include detecting impossible actions like targeting fogged units, though these methods are imperfect. My favorite idea is having a broken model that will crash the game hidden in a corner of the map, though this does disallow the use of Reveal abilities.

Level 12
I'm no expert on map hacking but IIRC the game thinks that fog of war and black mask is still in effect. So I think that trigger will return that the unit is fogged whether one is map hacking or not.

Typical methods include detecting impossible actions like targeting fogged units, though these methods are imperfect. My favorite idea is having a broken model that will crash the game hidden in a corner of the map, though this does disallow the use of Reveal abilities.

Well I tested it, with fog of war enabled. Returned not maphacking, then I typed the -iseedeadpeople cheat and it removed fog of war and returned is map hacking. I'm pretty sure map hack programs just remove the fog no?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I'm pretty sure map hack programs just remove the fog no?
Nope. They are hacks that display what is in the fog of war without revealing it as far as game state is concerned. One cannot even accidently target units through the fog of war. This is so that such actions do not OOS the hacking client. Really modern map hacks do not even alter the game and are instead an overlay to make detection harder.

All you have managed to do is detect "iseedeadpeople". Since the player is playing single player anyway for that to work why even care...

Level 12
Nope. They are hacks that display what is in the fog of war without revealing it as far as game state is concerned. One cannot even accidently target units through the fog of war. This is so that such actions do not OOS the hacking client. Really modern map hacks do not even alter the game and are instead an overlay to make detection harder.

All you have managed to do is detect "iseedeadpeople". Since the player is playing single player anyway for that to work why even care...

Well I was sinulating removing fog, it could of been down by a trigger but why bother when the cheat does it for you.

Map hacking is a big issue in the game I'm working on.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Well I was sinulating removing fog, it could of been down by a trigger but why bother when the cheat does it for you.
Map hacks do not remove fog. They show you what is under it but the fog is still there.

I suggest setting up ban lists for known map hackers on the robots that host your map. Also a white list of known trusted players might help to flag up potential alts of map hackers.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The only mh I ever saw removed the fog from the map which is why I thought this might work.
Map hacks do not remove fog. They show you what is under it but the fog is still there.
Any decent map hack will internally keep the fog state correct for each player but reveal the map to the client. They also do not allow you to target units you should not. If they did not do this then the hacking client would very quickly OOS as their client would produce different results from the other clients.

The most advanced map hacks do not even alter the game in any way, but rather output useful map information as an overlay or in a separate window. This avoids altering the game client making it harder to detect, especially if the memory reads are obsfucated as some kind of anti virus program.

Status
Not open for further replies.