• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Crash] Deleting units in object editor in bigger maps causes WE to crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
So last time I decided to edit an map, a guy stopped developing and shared unprotected version. When I tried to delete an unit, this appears:
attachment.php

The error basically says World Edit ran out of memory to delete the object.
So, what possibly could help to prevent the crash and allow me to edit the map freely? Do I need to get a specific tool, or what?

Attachments

• Nowy obraz mapy bitowej.jpg
    Nowy obraz mapy bitowej.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 579
No, it could be that if it were protected but I had a friend who had this same thing happen to a map he was working on that was his map and it had never been optimized. What he had done though is merged object data. My bet is that this resulted in units with the same ID. I will post the follow up to that conversation. After a lot of work, I think he was able to export most everything from the map and start fresh.

Legal_Ease said:
If you can find which units cause the problem then you start a map with your terrain. Import safe data in this order: Buffs, upgrades, abilities, items, units, triggers. This way, the data will not have missing spells, items sold, upgrades and the triggers won't have missing units and spells.

You can do this by importing and by copy/paste. Use the window tab on the tool bar to alternate between maps to cut and paste. It's just like importing a spell for the first time.

You should only need to recreate bugged units. I think you may be right that you merged data that had the same unit/ability IDs. I would think that JNPG would account for this, but maybe not. It might be a good rule not to merge custom data set with other custom data sets of the same type. Also, have you tried doing what was suggested in the thread I sent? It recommended deleting all the units placed in the terrain and trying to delete units from OE after that.

I found these too:

http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?t=78751&page=2
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...world-editor-crash-upon-deleting-unit-229112/

It suggests the problem may be with the w3u file. I think that is the unit data file, but I am not sure.

If the issue is in fact having multiple unit IDs, then have you tried hitting CNTRL-D and looking for duplicates?

I have also seen suggestions that more than 300 units can be a problem itself. How many custom units do you have?

Bottom line is that maps are not meant to have 1000 custom units in them. It's ok to have a few hundred but having more burdens the system and makes it more likely that you will experience problems.

maker said:
Did you try first deleting all units from the map of that type and then deleting the unit type in object editor?

Level 3
Now as I see the hive link you've given I notice that I'm editing remaked, improved version of the map the previous man tried to change. It might be the map's problem, as I found some other problems in it's too. I wanted to delete most of the things tho.
I might want to use the method of copypasting all the stuff, but another problem might be with terrain. Is there a way to export only the terrain into another map then?

Level 4
I have gotten this same error. I assumed it was from the map being created in WEU and being transferred to JNGP. I have to use UMSWE to open and edit the map and if I delete any of the 3/4 units the game will crash. I've since just renamed and moved them telling myself not to delete them again.

@ Legal_Ease 2 or 3 of the units were copies of other units in game so your description makes a lot of sense.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I suspect object editor file corruption.

Can we get an example map where this error occurs and steps to recreate it? I could try pushing WE into a debugger and trying to find anything that may be related to the crash. Chances are I might find nothing through as assembly is a pain to debug. This would be for compatibility purposes only.

Level 10
Yes. I think deleting object causes the object id to mess up. I have 2 corrupted channel abilities. As far as I could remember, I delete many objects like 10 or more, then to create a new ability or copy make fatal error. Note: my custom abilities is a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.