• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Daily Wisdom

Status
Not open for further replies.

San

San

Level 32
upload_2017-9-2_12-56-27.png

Level 12
See here, madam. HOW could they be worth
more? Think for yourself. They are so much loss to you--so much loss,
do you understand? Take any worthless, rubbishy article you like--a
piece of old rag, for example. That rag will yet fetch its price, for
it can be bought for paper-making. But these dead souls are good for
NOTHING AT ALL. Can you name anything that they ARE good for?
- Dead Souls, Chapter 3 by Nicolai Gogol

Level 15
The only wisdom I've been given is: "Whatever you chose to do, do it well and work hard." the rest of it comes in the form of "don't make the same misstakes i did". I'm not sure the latter constitutes wisdom. But such is life; full of disapointments, eh?

I like the quote attributed to Aristotle - "We are what repeatedly do, therefore excelence is not an act but a habbit."

Last edited:
Level 24
Speaking of Einstein @deepstrasz maybe you could answer a question I have, why do people assume that a void is the natural state of the universe. People seem to assume that a void is nothing, but it's not, it's so much more than nothing. It is a four dimensional area which currently happens to contain nothing in it and an area is never nothing, especially not a four dimensional one as it has the potential for so much in it, the location we live in, Earth, the Solar system, the Milky Way and our entire known universe used to be an empty void and from it sprung forth an infinite amount of potential. A void is many things but nothing is not one of them, so here comes my question that I hope you or someone else can give a good philosophical answer to, why is a (presumably) infinite void the natural state of the universe and not nothingness, why do 4 dimensional areas exist as a standard?

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
why is a (presumably) infinite void the natural state of the universe and not nothingness, why do 4 dimensional areas exist as a standard?
If there was indeed nothing, then there would have been nothing. Everything is energy in various (maybe infinitesimal) states/forms. No human (from what we know) understands or has any idea of the actual origin of this eternal phenomenon. Voids are currently a theoretical term which define spaces which do not include galaxies and astronomical elements. However, energy in its many shapes travels throughout the universe. Light and cosmic radiation disperses and comets might plunge through these dark places. Moreover, some of these places could contain black holes for all we know which are basically energy. The universe is made of particles which we probably haven't discovered yet due either to their size or energetic state. The universe surely has a matrix of energy that keeps it together (even though expanding). There are many mysteries, unsolved and more or less real at this point. It's why the science on this is called theoretical physics. I'm no astrophysicist, so I can't really tell you something actually useful and detailed.

====================================================================================================

In-the-middle-of-difficulty-lies-opportunity..jpg

Level 24
"If we are to re-establish our position in the world the army must return to its traditional role, the very reason for why it existed in the first place. We must invade France. Whenever Britain fought the French, we were top dog, for 500 years from Azincourt to Waterloo Britain went from strength to strength to become the greatest empire the world has ever known. The minute we start getting chummy with the garlic chewers within three short decades we're buggered. If Mr Blair wants us to be at the heart of Europe, let us simply march to the heart of Europe." -Rowan Atkinson

Level 6
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.
--- Friedrich Nietzsche

Deleted member 238589

D

Deleted member 238589

"He who spares the bad injures the good." - Publilius Syrus

Status
Not open for further replies.