• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Horn's daily lesson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Every day I will strive to bring this community an educational post. Some may not find it useful, but I will be basing these lessons upon problems I spot within this website.

Sunday 8th July

This lesson is grammar: contractions.

A contraction is a joining of two words into a single word, usually removing a letter from the start of the second word, replaced by an apostrophe.

Let us start with an example:

brad.dude03 said:
It seems your the noob on this one.

What brad.dude03 wanted to say is 'you are the noob'. Unfortunatly he didn't use the contraction of you and are to create you're. Many people make this mistake, most likely because your and you're sound the same when spoken. They actually mean completely different things, so you should take care not to make this mistake.

Another example:

NearbyHermit said:
Im literally revolted by they're hostility

They're is a contraction of two words: they are, but NearbyHermit wanted to say their. They're, there, and their all sound the same when spoken, but each has a different meaning.

Their = possessive pronoun. 'That is their property'.
There = that place: 'Your medicine is over there'.
Saturday 7th July

This lesson is citation:

Sometimes it is enough to answer someone with a simple fact. They seek a quick response for their problem, so you may be able to solve it with your existing knowledge. This is not always the case in a debate (or argument). If someone does not agree with you or posts information that is contrary to yours, you should provide evidence that what you say is true.

Posting quotes is good, but only if you can reference the source.
Posting links to information is also good, but again, only if the source can be referenced and is recognised.

Bad sources include WIKIPEDIA. Anyone can edit a wiki freely. No academic body will take you seriously if you cite Wikipedia. Fortunately Wikipedia itself *should* cite its own sources, so you can follow the references at the bottom of a page and find the true facts.

Not sure of what you're arguing? Check your information first or stay silent.

Dedicated to the asshats in the Warcraft lore forums.
Friday 6th July

This lesson is spelling. The word:

SENSE.

Stop spelling it as 'sence'. That is wrong.
'Sence' is the Slovenian word for the side(s) of your head (temple). Or as the Dutch would say: slaap. You deserve a slap for spelling this wrong henceforth.

Dedicated to all the spelling fiends.
See you tomorrow for another insightful post.

Last edited:
Level 15
Not such a problem in chat, shorthand is often preferred. It becomes a problem when people have time to compose a post and don't bother to check it over, so end up with errors that makes them look lazy or silly. There's really no excuse, and its rather poor when you stick it on the front page of your website :p

Level 32
It never ceases to amaze how many people communicate so effectively in multiple languages. I'm an American and, like many yanks, speak English only. When I try to think in French or German, my brain goes into vapor lock. If I try to speak Danish, my tongue gets tangled into an unpronounceable knot. Not good.

"Sence" is a typical misspelling. Cents, scents and sense are homonyms in English: words that sound or are spelled the same but have entirely different meanings.

More nonsense later.

Level 15
Very informative post, Whitehorn. It likewise bothers me when others use "sence" instead of "sense". :smile:

Also on the list of bad grammar/spelling habits:
"your right" (instead of "you're right")
"should of" (instead of "should have")
And the difference between "to" and "too". It's crazy how many people will type things like "me to!". :eekani:

Level 8
Conjunctions are the WORST. It's always something along the lines of
were instead of we're or there instead of they're.... It ALWAYS bothers me.

Level 5
American's english is so complicated. I mean i was born and raised in america, 100% white haha. But i meet alot of foreign people and most say english is way harder to learn but look at british "blokes" their english is way easier. Like words are pronounced as they are spelled!!! Also Americans dont care how they talk, least most of them. There was a girl who lived in america for one year in my class who spoke better then 70% oh my honors english 9 class. Yeah sad i know. Also I live where accents arent heavy either.

Level 26
So then is there a more proper apostrophe of non-ownership? >.<
I hate English...
--donut3.5--
entonces no lo hable
alors ne pas le parler
Sprechen Sie dann nicht es
poi non parlarlo
Dan niet spreekt hem
então não o fale
тогда не говорите это
da ikke tale det
然后不说它
然後不講它
そしてそれを話さないでください
Any butchering of grammar leaves freetranslations.com to blame.
But donutty, that's an apostrophe of ownership... Tsk tsk, Horndo has another lesson to give. :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostrophe

Level 26
Good job whitehorn!
I hope the next threads will be about they're/their/there, then/than, definitely/definately/dafinotalli

It means "then not speak it"

again, i took it directly from freetranslations.com and take no responsibilty for butchered grammar.
But donutty, that's an apostrophe of ownership... Tsk tsk, Horndo has another lesson to give. :)
When it comes to apostrophes whitehorn isn't perfect either.
Whitehorn said:
I know a few people who's posts should disappear.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.