• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Daily Wisdom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
Six mistakes mankind keeps making century after century:
Believing that personal gain is made by crushing others;
Worrying about things that cannot be changed or corrected;
Insisting that a thing is impossible because we cannot accomplish it;
Refusing to set aside trivial preferences;
Neglecting development and refinement of the mind;
Attempting to compel others to believe and live as we do.

~ Cicero

Roland

R

Roland

"It's not God who picks our choices for us, you have a grave and you have a crop, it's up to you to dig either." - @Azsure

"The Only Disability in Life is a Bad Attitude" - Anonymous

"We think too much and feel too little" - Charlie Chaplin

Level 19
Only the mad and genius talk to themselves, for often only they can understand their layered minds, it's best not to disturb them with inquiry least you become their next ground breaking break through :eek:

Level 12
The reason that the rich were so rich, Vimes reasoned, was because they managed to spend less money.

Take boots, for example. He earned thirty-eight dollars a month plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots cost fifty dollars. But an affordable pair of boots, which were sort of OK for a season or two and then leaked like hell when the cardboard gave out, cost about ten dollars. Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles.

But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in ten years' time, while the poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet.

This was the Captain Samuel Vimes 'Boots' theory of socioeconomic unfairness.

-- Samuel Vimes, from Terry Pratchett's "Guards! Guards!"

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
attachment.php

Level 26
Wut?
Why was I just randomly unsubscribed from this thread?

Anyway, glad to see people are so... wise. :D

"The problem is not the problem, but your attitude to that problem."
Classic and true.

There are no utter wisdom or solution, method, mission, destiny or something else, just do what you like or can. The world is moving!
Actual good stuff.

Every kick in the butt is one step front.
Agreed. Forward* though?

Level 14
I, for one, will not lower latin to an english translation, Do it yourself if you're not a lazy bugger.

It's also a very easy translation that a beginner can solve very quickly :)

#Can't_touch_my_latin_stuff_MMXVII

And @deepstrasz ffs take some pride in your language which is actually closer to true latin than mine in many ways

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Latin is a dead language.

Even poor J. R. R. Tolkien had something to say when they reformed the liturgies to English:
"I vividly remember going to church with him in Bournemouth. He was a devout Roman Catholic and it was soon after the Church had changed the liturgy from Latin to English. My grandfather obviously didn't agree with this and made all the responses very loudly in Latin while the rest of the congregation answered in English. I found the whole experience quite excruciating, but my grandfather was oblivious. He simply had to do what he believed to be right." ~Simon Tolkien (grandson).

Status
Not open for further replies.