• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Daily Wisdom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
"By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest" - Confucius

"The ultimate tragedy is not the oppresion and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people" - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Impossible Is a Word Found Only in the Dictionary of Fools" - Napoleon Bonaparte

“A Man’s Gotta Make at Least One Bet a Day, Else He Could Be Walking Around Lucky and Never Know It” - Jim Jones

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
quote-only-the-catholic-church-protested-against-the-hitlerian-onslaught-on-liberty-up-till-albert-einstein-49-47-08.jpg

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
“Numerous are the academic chairs, but rare are wise and noble teachers. Numerous and large are the lecture halls, but far from numerous the young people who genuinely thirst for truth and justice. Numerous are the wares that nature produces by the dozen, but her choice products are few.
We all know that, so why complain? Was it not always thus and will it not always thus remain? Certainly, and one must take what nature gives as one finds it. But there is also such a thing as a spirit of the times, an attitude of mind characteristic of a particular generation, which is passed on from individual to individual and gives its distinctive mark to a society. Each of us has to his little bit toward transforming this spirit of the times.”

~Albert Einstein.

Reactions: pyf
Level 22
Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for. ~Lucius Annaeus SenecaEpicurus

Last edited:
Level 22
There is a single light of science, and to brighten it anywhere is to brighten it everywhere. ~Isaac Asimov

Level 22
''Politics is war without bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed'' - Mao Zedong

''Defeat Doesn't Finish a Man, Quit Does. A Man Is Not Finished When He's Defeated. He's Finished When He Quits." - Richard Nixon

“Countless Millions Who Have Walked This Earth Before Us Have Gone Through This, So This Is Just an Experience We All Share.” - Ted Bundy

''You have to sacrifice everything, even yourself'' - Vasil Levski

Level 20
There is this Polish poet that I really like, I'll translate some of his words for you:

1. "Shadows? Something most optimistic. A proof that light is nearby."
2. "Feelings or thoughts? The feeling that you think, the thought that you feel."
3. "What I know about women? That only with men they create human beings."
4. "I was too shy. Life just passed by and I didn't even bother to start a conversation with it."
5. "Freedom was an utopia once. Nowadays it isn't even a reality."
6. "The rivers that people cry would not be so huge if they weren't so shallow."
7. "We can either hug or choke every person that we take into our arms."
8. "A thought that visits you in the night is like a woman - it needs to be examined again in the daylight."
9. "Do not accept the freedom of speech at the cost of freedom of thought."
10. "I'm an optimist - the humanity has broken the moral laws, why wouldn't it be able to do the same to physics laws?"

It probably sounds way better in Polish, still - these are some quotes that I liked :)

Level 22
Why wouldn't we be interested though? It's nice learning new things and I don't think anyone would get mad at you for bringing in something new to the table.

By the way, I liked this one: "Youth is the gift of nature, but age is a work of art."

Level 22
"Worthless people live only to eat and drink; people of worth eat and drink only to live" - Socrates

"I only wish that ordinary people had an unlimited capacity for doing harm; then they might have an unlimited power for doing good" - Socrates

"If the plan doesn't work change the plan but never the goal" - Unknown Author

“The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.” -Winston Churchill

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
“Gandhi, the greatest political genius of our time, has pointed the way. He was shown of what sacrifices people are capable once they have found the right way. His work for the liberation of India is a living testimony to the fact that a will governed by firm conviction is stronger than a seemingly invincible material power.”
~Albert Einstein.

Level 22
Bim, bim, bim. ~ Charles Bukowski

Found out about that awesome guy from deepstrasz and pyf's conversation.

Level 22
"There is no power over the head that is ready to separate from it's shoulders in the name of freedom and benefit of all mankind" - Hristo Botev

"You need an exam for everyone. Because there are examples; Today it's a man, and tomorrow a donkey" - Vasil Levski

"A person doesn't change, he just loses sight of who he is" - Unknown Author

"Some beautiful paths can't be discovered without getting lost" - Erol Ozan

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
"“During the youthful period of mankind's spiritual evolution human fantasy created gods in man's own image, who, by the operations of their will were supposed to determine, or at any rate to influence, the phenomenal world. Man sought to alter the disposition of these gods in his own favor by means of magic and prayer. The idea of God in the religions taught at present is a sublimation of that old concept of the gods. Its anthropomorphic character is shown, for instance, by the fact that men appeal to the Divine Being in prayers and plead for the fulfillment of their wishes. Nobody, certainly, will deny that the idea of the existence of an omnipotent, just, and omnibeneficent personal God is able to accord man solace, help, and guidance; also, by virtue of its simplicity it is accessible to the most undeveloped mind. But, on the other hand, there are decisive weaknesses attached to this idea in itself, which have been painfully felt since the beginning of history. That is, if this being is omnipotent, then every occurrence, including every human action, every human thought, and every human feeling and aspiration is also His work; how is it possible to think of holding men responsible for their deeds and thoughts before such an almighty Being? In giving out punishment and rewards He would to a certain extent be passing judgment on Himself. How can this be combined with the goodness and righteousness ascribed to Him?"
~Albert Einstein.

Level 22
"Rules aren't necessarily sacred, principles are" - Franklin D. Roosevelt

"Everybody has value; even if to serve as a bad example" - Attila the Hun

"Superficial goals lead to superficial results" - Attila the Hun

"Youth is easily deceived because it is quick to hope" - Aristotle

Level 22
"Do not underestimate the power of an enemy, no matter how great or small, to rise against you another day." - Attila the Hun

"Never arbitrate. Arbitration allows a third party to determine your destiny. It is a resort of the weak." - Attila the Hun

"All men are brothers, like the seas throughout the world; So why do winds and waves clash so fiercely everywhere?" - Hirohito

"A leader can never be happy until his people are happy." - Genghis Khan

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
“It was my good fortune to be linked with Mme. Curie through twenty years of sublime and unclouded friendship. I came to admire her human grandeur to an ever growing degree. Her strength, her purity of will, her austerity toward herself, her objectivity, her incorruptible judgement— all these were of a kind seldom found joined in a single individual... The greatest scientific deed of her life—proving the existence of radioactive elements and isolating them—owes its accomplishment not merely to bold intuition but to a devotion and tenacity in execution under the most extreme hardships imaginable, such as the history of experimental science has not often witnessed.”
~Albert Einstein.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
"“America is a large country and its people have so far not shown much interest in great international problems, among which the problem of disarmament occupies first place today. This must be changed, if only in America’s own interest. The last war has shown that there are no longer any barriers between the continents and that the destinies of all countries are closely interwoven. The people of this country must realize that they have a great responsibility in the sphere of international politics. The part of passive spectator is unworthy of this country and is bound in the end to lead to disaster all round.”"
~Albert Einstein.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
"“America is a large country and its people have so far not shown much interest in great international problems, among which the problem of disarmament occupies first place today. This must be changed, if only in America’s own interest. The last war has shown that there are no longer any barriers between the continents and that the destinies of all countries are closely interwoven. The people of this country must realize that they have a great responsibility in the sphere of international politics. The part of passive spectator is unworthy of this country and is bound in the end to lead to disaster all round.”"
~Albert Einstein.

Ahem... :hohum:

Quoting, with bold added where appropriate imho:

"In 1939, a group of Hungarian scientists [...] attempted to alert Washington to ongoing Nazi atomic bomb research. The group's warnings were discounted. Einstein and Szilárd, along with other refugees [...], "regarded it as their responsibility to alert Americans to the possibility that German scientists might win the race to build an atomic bomb, and to warn that Hitler would be more than willing to resort to such a weapon." To make certain the U.S. was aware of the danger, in July 1939, a few months before the beginning of World War II in Europe, Szilárd and Wigner visited Einstein to explain the possibility of atomic bombs, which Einstein, a pacifist, said he had never considered. He was asked to lend his support by writing a letter, with Szilárd, to President Roosevelt, recommending the U.S. pay attention and engage in its own nuclear weapons research.

The letter is believed to be "arguably the key stimulus for the U.S. adoption of serious investigations into nuclear weapons on the eve of the U.S. entry into World War II". [...] As a result of Einstein's letter and his meetings with Roosevelt, the U.S. entered the "race" to develop the bomb, drawing on its "immense material, financial, and scientific resources" to initiate the Manhattan Project. The U.S. became the only country to successfully develop nuclear weapons during World War II and also remains the only country to have used them in combat, against Hiroshima and Nagasaki [...].

For Einstein, "war was a disease ... [and] he called for resistance to war." By signing the letter to Roosevelt, he went against his pacifist principles. In 1954, a year before his death, Einstein said to his old friend, Linus Pauling, "I made one great mistake in my life—when I signed the letter to President Roosevelt recommending that atom bombs be made; but there was some justification—the danger that the Germans would make them ..." [...].

Albert Einstein - 1933: Emigration to the U.S. - Wikipedia.
Einstein–Szilárd letter - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Level 22
"Love must be quarantined like cholera and the plague, from which she makes greater devastation" - Ivan Vazov

''Do not be fooled by the fact that those who hold the money keep your future as well, because they have taken it from you, and you worship and raise them''- Vasil Levski

''Such is the human nature! People forget everything, even the remorse of their own conscience'' - Lyuben Karavelov

"To defeat the enemy, we must not destroy his essential strength but kill his spirit" - Boris Drangov

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I am aware of that. I never wrote or said Einstein is the best human ever. However, we should be selective. What is useful for the human society should be considered. We must not deny the good things done for society over the negative ones. Nobody is perfect. It might have been a sign of weakness but truth be told, it wasn't him who used the bombs on Japan, it was America's leading body.

======================================================

slide_2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.