• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Custom Unit Info Display

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24
Hi all.

I am trying to make a unit info display thingy for my new map.
When you select a unit that does not belong to you (you can only select one), you will see its info.
In regular WC3, you have that unit selected but you cannot do anything with that unit. So why select?
I want to keep my hero/units selected but do want to view that other unit's info.

I thought that I would be able to display all data in a multiboard.
It was a good idea until I found out that I cannot increase icon size of a field.

What I want to achieve is something similar to this:
9UYbFHO.png

Is there any other way how to make this happen?

EDIT: Someone told me that a fade filter can display an image to the screen but it is limited.
You can only have one fade filter on the screen at once.
Is there any way I can have one fade filter for each player?

And how do I create fade filters, show them and hide them?

Last edited:
Level 21
This example map is really just the rough basics of showing a multiboard and fade filter for specific players using if GetLocalPlayer() == GetTriggerPlayer() then. There might be some danger with desyncs (players randomly disconnecting from a multiplayer game) using that script, but I'm not familiar enough with it to know what exactly can cause the desyncs. It might require some testing with people you know in a multiplayer test map.

The fade filter doesn't seem to show over the multiboard, but I'm sure there's a way around it that you or someone else might be able to find. The PSD file has a basic layout for creating a fade filter icon for the multiboard if you're able to open PSDs. Otherwise, you can just take a look at the TGA files in the map's imports.

What I did to find the right positioning for the icon was to take a screenshot in-game and place the command button wherever I wanted it. After putting an alpha channel on it to block out everything else from the fade filter, I resized the image to 512x512 and saved it as a TGA file to work as a filter. Keep in mind that fade filters block out tooltips and possibly other mouse-over functions. Hopefully you'll find a way to get this all to work smoothly, because it seems like a cool concept.

Attachments

• Multiboard Unit Display.w3x
    35.2 KB · Views: 42
  • MultiboardIconsPSD.psd
    2.9 MB · Views: 55
Level 24
Well the idea is good.
The problem is that there will always be space between them and you need tons of small icons that form one big one together.

EDIT:
Ok now it is on again:
call EnableUserUI(true)
I can see tooltips again!!!
And the health bars are also fixed.

But the dark icon is not really nice imo.
Is there any workaround?

Can I make the multiboard background inside the fade filter and remove the old one?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.