• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Creep spawn during duel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hi, i've been recently remaking some old hero arena map. I've found myself a problem that i cannot find a solution:
-I have 4 areas on 2 side of the map that spawn 1 creep every 40 second, 1 at a time. so the second creeps in the same small area takes 160 seconds to spawn.
-but each creep has a rotation in levels (ex: dark troll lvl2 then shadow troll lvl5 then shadow troll again then troll warlord lvl 8 then it restarts.)
-The first creep spawned in any zone is randomly moved from a set location with all first class creeps and is the one that determine which type of creeps gonna occupy the zone.

My problem is during duel event i would like to stop those creep from spawning because sometimes duels can take a couple minutes than the map is filled with creeps. I cannot find any trigger combination that can solve my problem and i know it is possible! ty for those who can help me.

Last edited:
Level 14
You will want to probably use a unit group. Add units you create to a unit group variable and then run a periodic timer event to spawn new units--only spawning if that group is empty or if the number of units is under a certain threshold.

edit: forgot to add, make a trigger to detect units that die or check if they are dead within the periodic timer before allowing new units to spawn (then remove those dead units)

Level 2
sry I am not so much of a pro with variables but i tryied something like that it didnt work well.. Could you be a bit more specific? or i can post the map a guess

Level 14
There are a few ways you could do this. Since you are new, I kept it very simple. I drafted this up to give you a general idea of what you could experiment with:

• init
    • Events
      • Time - Elapsed game time is 5.00 seconds
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • -------- let's say you want to begin the event with a setup trigger; create 3 creeps somewhere --------
      • For each (Integer A) from 1 to 3, do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • -------- create your units for the event and add them to group --------
          • Set VariableSet temppoint = (Center of (Playable map area))
          • Unit - Create 1 Dark Troll Trapper for Neutral Hostile at temppoint facing Default building facing degrees
          • Unit Group - Add (Last created unit) to tempgroup
          • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_temppoint)
      • -------- it's now more than 2 units in the group, <respawn> will run but it won't create new units until at least 2 die --------
      • Trigger - Turn on respawn <gen>
  • respawn
    • Events
      • Time - Every 40.00 seconds of game time
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • -------- remove dead units from the group --------
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in tempgroup and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            • If - Conditions
              • ((Picked unit) is dead) Equal to True
            • Then - Actions
              • Unit Group - Remove (Picked unit) from tempgroup.
            • Else - Actions
        • If - Conditions
          • (Number of units in tempgroup) Less than 2
        • Then - Actions
          • -------- if less than 2 creeps exist, create new ones --------
          • Set VariableSet temppoint = (Center of (Playable map area))
          • Unit - Create 1 Dark Troll Trapper for Neutral Hostile at temppoint facing Default building facing degrees
          • Unit Group - Add (Last created unit) to tempgroup
          • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_temppoint)
        • Else - Actions
This uses the variable 'temppgroup' that I made (of type 'Unit Group') - you could call it whatever you want. If you aren't familiar with the 'temppoint' variable, you should read about things that leak here: Memory Leaks.

And, technically, unit groups also leak. However, we're reusing this one in this use case. If the event came to an end, you'd want to run call DestroyGroup(udg_tempgroup) to prevent the leak, then generate a new one for the next/another in-game event (by adding units to a group again on initialization).

Another way you could do this is by checking if the number of alive creeps in a particular region are less than a certain amount (if the event is contained to a region). However, the example I provided gives you more direct control over each unit that exists on the map as a beginner W3 mapper (in case they exit the event bounds, etc.).

Level 2
actually the spawning system is already made and work great, but during duel heroes are paused and the only problem is units keeps spawning until duel end. I dont know how to post picture of trigger like you do so I'll show you the map. Can you tell me if I need to remake all those triggers so I can pause the ''spawn timer'' during duels or is there a simple solution i have not found? the trigger is in creepspawn file.

Attachments

• arena nexus rmk.w3m
    1 MB · Views: 17
Level 4
Make a boolean variable DuelTime with starting value = false.
In trigger when you begin the duel set DuelTime = true.
When you end the duel set DuelTime = false.
In trigger when you spawn creeps put:
if DuelTime is equal to false do actions

Level 2
yeah Makos I tryied that and and it bring me to the same problem as when I used the trigger: Wait until (duel zone = no units), creeps stop spawning during duel but they all spawn right when duel end and their timer is fucked they spawn at the same time.

Thats probably because theres is a (Wait 160 seconds) between each spawn and the wait is already started. I guess I have to change it into a timer but I cant figure it out without making a shitload of triggers for each creep.

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
You could remove any creeps that spawn during a duel.
  • Remove Spawned Creeps
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit enters (Entire map)
    • Conditions
      • (Owner of (Triggering unit)) Equal to Neutral Hostile
      • DuelIsOn Equal to True
    • Actions
      • Unit - Remove (Triggering unit) from the game
Or if you wanted a simple Timer based system:
Variables
TrollCreeps = Unit-Type (Array)
TrollCounter = Integer
TrollTimer = Timer
  • Setup Trolls
    • Events
      • Map initialization
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set VariableSet TrollCreeps[1] = Dark Troll High Priest
      • Set VariableSet TrollCreeps[2] = Dark Troll High Priest
      • Set VariableSet TrollCreeps[3] = Dark Troll Warlord
      • Set VariableSet TrollCreeps[4] = Dark Troll
      • Countdown Timer - Start TrollTimer as a Repeating timer that will expire in 160.00 seconds
  • Troll Timer
    • Events
      • Time - TrollTimer expires
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • -------- Increase Counter --------
      • Set VariableSet TrollCounter = (TrollCounter + 1)
      • -------- --------
      • -------- Create Creep --------
      • Unit - Create 1 TrollCreeps[TrollCounter] for Neutral Hostile at (Random point in Trollspawn) facing Default building facing degrees
      • -------- --------
      • -------- Reset Counter --------
        • If - Conditions
          • TrollCounter Equal to 4
        • Then - Actions
          • Set VariableSet TrollCounter = 0
        • Else - Actions
And when your duel starts you Pause all of your Creep Timers:
  • Countdown Timer - Pause TrollTimer
And then Resume them after the duel is over:
  • Countdown Timer - Resume TrollTimer

Status
Not open for further replies.