• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Spell] Creating two spells for 1 hero using the same original spell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hey thanks for looking at my post.

I've encountered a problem when creating spells for a hero I'm making. I've made two spells based off of the spell Battle Roar. And given them to the same hero. When I go to use one of the spells it casts them both. Is there a way to fix this?

Any advice, solutions, or new ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Level 16
Moin moin =)

Well wasn't it because they have the same based order ID? Well if you want use two types of Battle Roar, you can use one "Howl" with other values and other allowed targets.

Else you need to create a dummy spell like Thunder Clap and trigger, when this dummy spell is casted, then create a dummy unit at position of casting unit and this dummy use the second battle roar.

Greetings and Peace
Dr. BøøM

Level 5
well for as long as i know that the abilities have the same point number which means they are all counted and treated as 1 ability.. what you can do is one of these things :
1- build each ability on an another ability .. like battle roar from night elf and battle roar from neutral hostile and like that
2- you can just trigger it .. and for triggers i mean the dummy units
make a dummy unit for each ability and check the ability name . if this exact ability is casted then summon the dummy unit which will cast the spell and remove it from game.
each dummy unit has one of the abilities u made..
i hope u get all that .. if u dont tell me and i'll try to help more

Level 1
Thanks guys, I didn't think about making dummy units, although its not ideal.... its what ill do. Again thanks for your help! Both of you :)

Level 26
Base your spells on 'Channel' ability. It allows you to change base order id therefore spells won't collide. Although you have to know that channel has no effect at all - you have to trigger it. If you have troubles coding such scripts let me know.

I'll quote my explanation of channel, since this subject appears from time to time notoriously.
Spinnaker said:
If you meant that you created many abilities but you had based them on the sameone it is normal that they do not work properly because all of them have same ID.

To make it work you have to base them on Channel ability (found in hero abilities). Here is little description about this universal ability:

Channel.

Channel is comfortable spell for many issues, At first it has various differend options, it can be invisible, visible(ect), it gives opportunity to show effect for given amount of time, ables user to set animation time (anything you wish) and last, the most important:

Enables user to create all types of abilities:
Passive/Active No target/Active Target unit/Active Target Point.

It also gives chance to add variations like Tiny's Toss in dota.
Its ability based on channel with choosen option: Target and added AoE.
Look at this:
help5.png

Data - Art duration speaks for itself.
Data - Base order id. Here we stop for a while.

In warcraft3 each spell has differend ID (indentification number) and thats they unit can cast many spells without bugging. If we put many spells with same ID on same unit, when it casts spells there will be a lot of strange events going on.
You can make as many abilities based on channel without having bugs - but remember that you have to set different ID for each of them. To do this just click on the field and from list chosse ability whatever you wish except, the unit you wish to give this ability to, do not have spell with same id already.

Data - disable other abilities - set to False when you want your unit to cast many spells (so usually go False immidiately)

Data - Fallow through time - Animation time - dont use default 180 sec, it means unit will stay for 3mins doing nothing but channeling..
Set to 0 if you want 0 cast animation, but for good effect keep about 1-1,5sec here.

Data - Options - here you choose options about your ability (like: if you want it to be visible check on 'Visible')

Data - Target type - important field, choose how your Channel-based spell should act, depending of Target type (no target/point/unit or even unit&point)

If you wish to give AoE component, fill field Stats - area of Effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.