• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Coruscant

No Star Wars-map is complete without the republic capitol-world of Coruscant. It is known for being completely covered with a single, massive city, and for its name being very hard to spell.

Like all the other planets, this one has a modeled shadow tied to the head bone. You can find more information about this in the descriptions of the other planet models.

Similar to the lava planet, the city lights will penetrate the shadow on the dark side of the force planet. Since the surface is rather dark the effect becomes subtle, but i still think it is neat. This one was a bitch to texture since it contains lots of circular elements, which are easily disorted by the wrap, but i am very happy with the final result.

EDIT: Added higher compression and saved about 20kb. Hope it doesn't ruin the quality too much.

Keywords:
coruscant, planet, city, space, star wars, republic
Contents

Coruscant (Model)

Reviews
16:16, 7th Apr 2014 MiniMage: While I still find the model to be excessively big for such a simple model. I will approve it. If you are able to lower the filesize any further, I will increase the ranking.

M

16:16, 7th Apr 2014
MiniMage: While I still find the model to be excessively big for such a simple model. I will approve it. If you are able to lower the filesize any further, I will increase the ranking.

You made it for that russian dude making a campaign? :)

No, i started making this long before, while i was doing the other planets. I just never finished it because it kept looking like crap no matter what i did. I came up with a method recently though, using monochromatic noise to make the lights, and it worked much better, so here it is.

Very simple. I don't think this model will ever be used- look at the file-size. For such a simple model the file-size should be smaller, please lower file size. 2/5, I will increase rating once changes were made. Nothing too impressive... The texture looks nice if you view it trough 3D Mode or In-Game, Editor.
PS: Heinvers, look at the poly count.

I know his models are usually high poly. But I really don't care, it's pretty darn good for scenic terrains. So file size doesn't count that much to me.

So you dont care about poly count but why did you then agreed that poly count was too big on Basketball Ring ?
Yep I agree about that and the polycount of the ring. Good execution btw

The filesize is insane, please work on lowering it.

Very simple. I don't think this model will ever be used- look at the file-size. For such a simple model the file-size should be smaller, please lower file size. 2/5, I will increase rating once changes were made. Nothing too impressive... The texture looks nice if you view it trough 3D Mode or In-Game, Editor.
PS: Heinvers, look at the poly count.

The polycount is not the issue here - the model itself is less than 40kb. The reason the filesize is large is due to how grainy textures, such as the city lights texture, are compressed worse than those with flat colors. Hence, the surface texture only requires 60kb, while the city lights take up 170kb, despite them being the same size. If i reduce the size of any of them, it will blur so bad you will not recognize what this is supposed to resemble. If i were to combine the city lights with the ground, i would not be able to make them unshaded, which means they would not glow. I have tried this and it looks really poor.

Just accept it for what it is unless you have contrstructive ideas on how to reduce filesize. For someone making a Star Wars map, this might prove invaluable.

Level 6
I take test in the model
All what I can say nice model you got there can be use in campaigns as background and skin is pretty nice I think you should reduces the filesize here I give a way to reduce the filesize you make the model reduce size in editor hope you good improvement .

Since I uploaded my 8 MB Map Size: Limit Remover, I no longer care about model size. File size does not matter any more.

So your right other will not able to download large files and the creator created this model with large file its because the model ment to be that way. Well I think so...

Last edited:

Screamernail

S

Screamernail

I cant help it but my threads are never answered. My latest thread were this and no one replied for maybe a year or so. help?

Last edited by a moderator: