1. Are you planning to upload your awesome model to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Coruscant

Submitted by Fingolfin
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
No Star Wars-map is complete without the republic capitol-world of Coruscant. It is known for being completely covered with a single, massive city, and for its name being very hard to spell.

Like all the other planets, this one has a modeled shadow tied to the head bone. You can find more information about this in the descriptions of the other planet models.

Similar to the lava planet, the city lights will penetrate the shadow on the dark side of the force planet. Since the surface is rather dark the effect becomes subtle, but i still think it is neat. This one was a bitch to texture since it contains lots of circular elements, which are easily disorted by the wrap, but i am very happy with the final result.

EDIT: Added higher compression and saved about 20kb. Hope it doesn't ruin the quality too much.

Keywords:
coruscant, planet, city, space, star wars, republic
Contents

Coruscant (Model)

Reviews
16:16, 7th Apr 2014 MiniMage: While I still find the model to be excessively big for such a simple model. I will approve it. If you are able to lower the filesize any further, I will increase the ranking.
  1. 16:16, 7th Apr 2014
    MiniMage: While I still find the model to be excessively big for such a simple model. I will approve it. If you are able to lower the filesize any further, I will increase the ranking.

2. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    You made it for that russian dude making a campaign? :)

3. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    wow, impressive. great work man:)

4. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    No, i started making this long before, while i was doing the other planets. I just never finished it because it kept looking like crap no matter what i did. I came up with a method recently though, using monochromatic noise to make the lights, and it worked much better, so here it is.

5. MiniMage

MiniMage

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    The filesize is insane, please work on lowering it.

6. Ahotnik001

Ahotnik001

Resources:
    Resources:
    wow, this is pretty good, :)

7. A Void

A Void

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Very simple. I don't think this model will ever be used- look at the file-size. For such a simple model the file-size should be smaller, please lower file size. 2/5, I will increase rating once changes were made. Nothing too impressive... The texture looks nice if you view it trough 3D Mode or In-Game, Editor.
    PS: Heinvers, look at the poly count.

8. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    I know his models are usually high poly. But I really don't care, it's pretty darn good for scenic terrains. So file size doesn't count that much to me.

9. Tauer

Tauer

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Awesome :)
    Might be a little too high poly, but still pretty sweet.

10. A Void

A Void

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    So you dont care about poly count but why did you then agreed that poly count was too big on Basketball Ring ?

11. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    wow, now you question me:) I think I was drunk back then. Nevermind that.
    I think I meant to say that the polycount is good. I must have quoted that guy by mistake.

12. A Void

A Void

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Personally for me poly count does not matter, but it made me wonder when you said that you dont care about poly count of this model rather than basketball ring. :)

13. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The polycount is not the issue here - the model itself is less than 40kb. The reason the filesize is large is due to how grainy textures, such as the city lights texture, are compressed worse than those with flat colors. Hence, the surface texture only requires 60kb, while the city lights take up 170kb, despite them being the same size. If i reduce the size of any of them, it will blur so bad you will not recognize what this is supposed to resemble. If i were to combine the city lights with the ground, i would not be able to make them unshaded, which means they would not glow. I have tried this and it looks really poor.

Just accept it for what it is unless you have contrstructive ideas on how to reduce filesize. For someone making a Star Wars map, this might prove invaluable.

14. A Void

A Void

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    You can use MDX Squisher. I hope that tool does not touch textures?

15. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It would work, but it only affects the size of the model after it has been compressed into the MPQ-archive of your map, it would not make a difference here on the hive. It also does nothing to reduce the filesize of the textures - only more compression can do that.

16. A Void

A Void

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    My final rating 4/5. Useful for Star Wars based maps and space terrain. If anyone is finding the file-size too large please use MDX Squisher.

17. Stanakin

Stanakin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Heh, awesome.

18. A Void

A Void

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    A better image of the planet so others can see the nice texture you made there. :)
    [​IMG]

19. Solu9

Solu9

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hmm very nice planet you've got there.
    The size? Screw that.
    I for one will be using it anyway. For single player maps or campaigns it doesn't really matter.