• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Contest: Icon Set for Gaias Retaliation Stats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
As I always felt that the Hero stat skills of Gaias Retaliation could deserve their own icons, I decided to make a small contest out of this.

Price:
The winner will be mentioned in the loading screen of the upcoming 1.1m version as Special Thanks person.
Also, the winner gains access to the exclusive closed beta tests of the upcoming 1.1m, 1.1n and 1.2 versions.

What do I have to do?
It's simple: Create custom stat 'skill' buttons for Gaias Retaliation. The Stats should be known, but to go sure, here's a list:

Strength
Intelligence
Agility
Wisdom
Constitution

You can find an extensive tutorial on creating icons here:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...complete-icon-tutorial-all-about-icons-37832/

Rules:

To allow me and others to have a quick look on your created icons, please post a quick picture with all of your icons together and put it into the attachments of your post.

Please notice that due to the copyright laws, I can not accept links or stuff that was created by other people. Your submissions must be self-made (which does not mean that the actual picture on your icons must be yours)!

Also, try to keep the same style of graphics for all of the icons. The better they match each other, the more likely it is for me to implement those icons into the game.

Level 18
Even tho i know they suck and are simple edits i decided to at least try :(, Download link

and here are the btn icons (i didn't know what type were needed so i made all disbtn, pas, etc.):
2hcf72s.png

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Even tho i know they suck and are simple edits i decided to at least try :(, Download link

and here are the btn icons (i didn't know what type were needed so i made all disbtn, pas, etc.):
2hcf72s.png
Wow, first contribution. Might wanna tell us something about your ideas, especially why you chose this particular colors and which is which, etc.?

Level 18
Well actually they are very basic, intelligence is the blue one which has lot of blue sphere's reminding of water gloves, red one is strength, has some scarfs like from a gladiator, green is agility has kind of adrenaline surrounding it, constitution, well this stat i was confused what to do with the consitution concept so, since it's a sinonym of being healthy i decided to use the Yellow + with a windy effect, the wisdom one well since gaias is based in some kind of alternate past where mages and priests are the high class, i decided to use white one because mages and priests (with the exception of necromancers) use white magic, also sinonym of pureness).

anyways they are actually the obvious colors for the stats that were going to be used.

(also in the icon names it says what stat are every icon for)

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
I think the green one could easily be confused with constitution. Maybe give constitution icon some kind of "vitality" to it. I don't know how exactly though.. Otherwise looks good

Level 13
I like the strength one darkly, and your theme behind the wisdom one. Not so sure on the others, I don't find the colours appealing I guess. Pretty cool though!

Level 6
Habe mal ein paar Icons aus Heroes of might&magic4 bearbeitet.
Falls Interesse bescheid geben...BLP und Rahmen müßte jemand anderes machen.
Die Bilder sind auch als PNG etc. bei mir gespeichert.
Können auch noch nachgeschärft werden.

Strenght
11qo9d1.jpg

Agility
71hikl.jpg

Constitution
xu6c.jpg

Intelligence
2rp7ecl.jpg

Wisdom
ab5cp1.jpg

Grüße olle Zwiebel

Level 13
lolol heroes of might and magic icons, awesome.
It would be better if gaias didn't use images from other games though imo

Level 9
I do like darkly's icons, but im not too fond of the coors, maybe a more baby blue for intell, and more meadow green or w/e for the agil.

Level 8
Its not copy...its edited idiot :goblin_boom:

cuted for sure, not edited derp go to hell derp:goblin_boom:

and by not copy Z wanted peoples to make oryginal icons not "copy" in this case templete was copied from HoM&M IV.
I hope u'r not too stupid to understeand it.

Level 2
Hi, Zwieb. Here's my icon pack, although its not complete. e.g. 'disabled ones'. I'll try to get your interest, since, I want to win the 'price' for my own personal reasons of course. I'm really a big fan of yours, your map is so awesome! btw Happy New Year! >:)

Attachments

• Agility.png
    Agility.png
    6.4 KB · Views: 294
  • Constitution.png
    Constitution.png
    9.4 KB · Views: 253
  • Intelligence.png
    Intelligence.png
    11.5 KB · Views: 241
  • Wisdom.png
    Wisdom.png
    8.8 KB · Views: 247
  • Strength.png
    Strength.png
    9.8 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
Level 13
They're lovely icons but I'm not fond of any of those, for gaias anyway. They don't seem to really fit the lore or the gameplay.

Level 2
Can't be help :). Well, I agree to your opinions that importing these icons in GR, makes a feeling that 'this and that' are 'op'. But I'll try to improvise the icons. I'll post more when Zwieb conduct a review on my work. Really need suggestions :xxd:

Level 10
Ah.

I have made only the agi and int icons. I dont no
if it fits to gaias or not.(i made them in haste so need to
fix a few thing)
If you like them a bit ill
continue the other attributes.

Attachments

• Int.png
    Int.png
    285.8 KB · Views: 172
  • BTNInt64.blp
    5.4 KB · Views: 55
  • Agility.png
    Agility.png
    258.5 KB · Views: 129
  • BTNAgility64.blp
    5.3 KB · Views: 58
Level 2
Hello, folks. This is my new updated basic hero stat icons. I really want to make Gaias Retaliation hero stats more user-friendly, this will make the icons fool-proof. Opposed to my first work, this basic ones I think will be more welcomed in GR. Please, take your time to review my work, here it is. Suggestions are always welcome! :thumbs_up:

Edit: I have problems in converting .TGA to .BLP (All images are vertically reversed when converted to .BLP format) sorry for the incompetency, if anyone knows how-to-solve-this. Kindly, post in this thread.

/I'm using Warcraft3Viewer/

Notice: I managed to resolve this by converting .TGA to .BMP format then .BMP to .BLP, I hope you found this tip helpful.

Attachments

• StrengthColored.png
    StrengthColored.png
    9.4 KB · Views: 246
  • AgilityColored.png
    AgilityColored.png
    9.4 KB · Views: 239
  • ConstitutionColored.png
    ConstitutionColored.png
    9.4 KB · Views: 229
  • IntelligenceColored.png
    IntelligenceColored.png
    9.4 KB · Views: 215
  • WisdomColored.png
    WisdomColored.png
    9.4 KB · Views: 256
  • STR.png
    STR.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 231
  • WIS.png
    WIS.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 222
  • INT.png
    INT.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 201
  • CONS.png
    CONS.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 249
  • AGI.png
    AGI.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 219
  • AllRGRHIPUPDATED.zip
    136.9 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
@Justicebringer:
Nice job making icons from scratch. But I think they look a little bit sketchy. Maybe try to add some shading or 3d effects to them?

@AllR:
I like the consistent style, but I feel they look too simple, especially the text on them. The idea of using scrolls as a basis is good, however, why not add symbols instead of text to them?

Level 2
@Jumbo Yes, Jumbo your correct and thank you for the feedback.

@Zwieb First Zwieb, my real objective is to fool-proof the hero-stats, I've notice that some players whom I played with, accidentally click wrong buttons for stats, eventually their build is destroyed and have to reset which is too costly for starting players, which one of the reasons they quit. I believe this is a great implementation for Gaias, for the benefit of un-experienced players who wants to fully enjoy your map like me. For me simplicity is at its best, since they are just hero-stats, the player must feel that hero-stats is 'basic' and inferior to other essential skills that is part of vital-gameplay (which must be always superior to). I can change the concept of 'text' to 'symbols' but it will make the icons less fool-proof.

Story: I've been always recruiting potential players, and I've been challenged a countless times to make a loyal player of Gaias, while, cheating is a taboo for us, we never cheat, and we expel cheaters. We played your game sincerely. That's why we are looking forward to your updates. To make a game with a soul is an extraordinary feat, that's why I'm making efforts here and now.

Edit: Actually, it will not hurt to try, let's implement it and get some feedback from players. If they don't like the implementation, then improve it more, hence, we must always keep the balance of all things.

Note: If my icon pack will make it on 1.1m, please do special mention our group 'ACTIVE RPG-er GUID: 111966' thanks.

Last edited:

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
Zwei, think about the good old Baldurs Gate character stats UI. It had every stat spelled out STRENGTH, CONSTITUTION, CHARISMA, etc. so why not the same in Gaias? Of course this is an abbreviation in Gaias because of the icons, but still i think it fits very well.

Level 13
AllR, I don't think making them TOO full proof is the answer, but your use of colours is intriguing. Maybe a darker red for con, but use either the scrolls, or another shape, without text, so the stats remain the same icon, but with different emphasis on their colours, maybe an image on each scroll, such as a fist on strength, similar to the current WC3 stat icons, but make your own for wisdom and constitution?

Overall, people quitting games for simple mistakes isn't a reason to make them fool proof. If people aren't willing to read the stats carefully that's really their own fault in the process.

However, maybe giving the player a scroll that allows them one free stat restat would be a good option, so players have one chance to mess up if they're starting gaias for the first time.

Level 2
@Vestra Your second statement is true enough. Well, I like your idea on your third statement, but isn't too much consideration for the players? Gaias gameplay is simple, however, I pursue my theme on hero-stat to prevent misclicks on stats, since, they are duplicated textures. Also, I realize that there is -repick and -load command, but due to that were simply avoiding repetition of gameplay, and you know what repetition feels like. What I'm stressing here is the simplicity of the icons that makes it 'Failure To Recognize Is Not an Option', I know symbols are meant for different languages, its usage is to communicate easily to other languages by texturized gestures like fist of 'strength' which is obvious.

Is this the one you are looking forward to? I might make more of this but in the case of Gaias it will not fit (correct me if I'm wrong), as Gaias theme and icon art is different with this one. If Zwieb will allow me, I can make more of this, and will implement in the future.

For now, I'll do rethink Zwieb idea and of course your 'first statement' suggestion. Thanks.

Icons

Wing (Agility)
Aegis (Constitution)
Fist (Strength)
Wand (Intelligence)
Cobra (Wisdom)

Attachments

• DRAgility.png
    DRAgility.png
    10.9 KB · Views: 233
  • DRConstitution.png
    DRConstitution.png
    10.8 KB · Views: 285
  • DRStrength.png
    DRStrength.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 253
  • DRIntelligence.png
    DRIntelligence.png
    10.5 KB · Views: 230
  • DRWisdom.png
    DRWisdom.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 231
  • NewFinishedConceptStrength.png
    NewFinishedConceptStrength.png
    10.4 KB · Views: 183
  • INTEL2.png
    INTEL2.png
    10.5 KB · Views: 128
  • WISDOM.png
    WISDOM.png
    10.4 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Level 13
I do like that one, it has a nice feel to it but I suggest you add the colours as I find they work well with keeping things universal for various cultures, i.e red for strength, green for agility, blue for intelligence. Those colours seem to have been used repeatedly. Really, considering the colours of mana and health I'd say green for Constitution and a light blue for Mana - both similar, if not exactly the same colour as the text used for the numbers in the hero display box. Then, the others are up to you, but I'd say red for strength, yellow for agility and purple or dark blue fro intelligence.

The problem with that image there is the fingers, it looks as though there are 5 folded in with one on the side, might want to make it four folded downwards!

Other than that, wonderful ideas AllR, I'm sure Zwieb will have something positive to say about the work you're putting in as much as I like your beautiful efforts in the end it comes down to him :)

Perhaps do a combination of the ideas? For example, a red Fist on a scroll for strength, a yellow 'Boot' for agility, and maybe something like a blue Eye for wisdom or make use of a green Cross for constitution. Having small detailed symbols on a nice white scroll might look appealing?

Level 2
@Vestra Oh, reallly thank you for the kind words, but I'm intrigued why red is universal for strength, really I do like orange for strength stat, it dictates chaos and power, but you know we really have diff. preferences. I'd say a careful poll of colors is a must.

In Diablo I and Diablo II, the health bar is 'Red' while the mana bar is 'Blue' meaning, constitution is Red and wisdom is Blue, I know I know the theme of Diablo and Gaias are unique to each other, and Gaias must be unique in different ways, I like your way of thinking. I really like to change Intelligence to 'White' seems magic is pure in the mind of every mages. Hmm.. 'Yellow' for agility? I think the famous color for agility is 'Green', as I'd see for most games especially for DotA they use green for agility for most items. And I feel that green suits Agility, which is a different story for Gaias. :)

Yes, it will look good on scrolls, but much detailed like what I've posted today, I'd say not. It must be a different concept of art, like foot prints on the sand. The icon fist of 'Strength' for example are leveled on the main texture of scroll.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
@Vestra Your second statement is true enough. Well, I like your idea on your third statement, but isn't too much consideration for the players? Gaias gameplay is simple, however, I pursue my theme on hero-stat to prevent misclicks on stats, since, they are duplicated textures. Also, I realize that there is -repick and -load command, but due to that were simply avoiding repetition of gameplay, and you know what repetition feels like. What I'm stressing here is the simplicity of the icons that makes it 'Failure To Recognize Is Not an Option', I know symbols are meant for different languages, its usage is to communicate easily to other languages by texturized gestures like fist of 'strength' which is obvious.

Is this the one you are looking forward to? I might make more of this but in the case of Gaias it will not fit (correct me if I'm wrong), as Gaias theme and icon art is different with this one. If Zwieb will allow me, I can make more of this, and will implement in the future.

For now, I'll do rethink Zwieb idea and of course your 'first statement' suggestion. Thanks.

Edit: Don't mind the extra finger :)
THIS is exactly what I am looking for! Can you make icons for the other stats in the exact same style with different symbols on it? If you do, I will definitely implement those. I like the stone and rubble style. I'd say keep them in the same style to make it look more consistent. Colors would hurt in this special case, I think.

Level 2
@Zwieb I can do that Zwieb :) Do we have a deadline? Do strength icon still need revisions? I'll work on what you requested. As soon as I've finished one of them, I'll update my post.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
@Zwieb I can do that Zwieb :) Do we have a deadline? Do strength icon still need revisions? I'll work on what you requested. As soon as I've finished one of them, I'll update my post.
Hmm, if you remove the additional finger on the strength icon, it's good to go.
And no, there's no deadline so far.

Level 2
@Zwieb Please take a look at my work, just scroll up. I need your suggestions regarding Agility, Wisdom, and Constitution icon.

Last edited:
Level 13
Is that a dragon on agility? I can't really see that or wisdom very clearly, the constitution one is very nice though.

Level 2
@Vestra Yes, its a sea dragon (agility). And the pyramid eye (wisdom).

Edit: So those two stats are the culprits. Thanks for pointing it out. I'll revise their textures soon. :)

Level 13
Maybe make the eye a little clearer and find an image more closely associated with agility. As nice as Sea Dragons are, I'm not sure they're associated with the attribute, or any gaias lore.

Level 2
@Vestra Really? Where can I find these lores you mention? I wanna read it. I might find more new ideas and concepts base on Agility stat. :)

Side note: It might be cool if its lizard instead of dragon? Whaddya think?

Level 13
Well where have you seen anything about lizards and agility? I personally don't see the 2 working too well together. Lizards are fast, yes, but I believe Dragons and lizards are often associated with intelligence and wisdom, the latter being a familiar.

For agility, consider speed, evasion, what the stat has to offer to a player. Look at the classes that benefit from it, a hunter, an assassin, what do they share in common, and what could upcoming classes share in common, that could be represented on an icon - and icon both representing the stat, and the idea of agility classes as a whole.

Level 2
@Vestra I thought about it now, and I think its the word 'Track and Stealth', I could represent it to an image but it takes a matter of time to do it. So just to make sure, I'll need to rest, since, its now very late in here. :) GtG!

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Iagree with the other comments. The shield for constitution is nice. The eye for wisdom is also a great idea (though it could be a little brighter so that its easier to be seen).
The dragon for agility? Mhh... I think something like boots or wings would be more suitable here.

Other than that I really like your work. Looks very good and I like the consistant art style. I'm definitely going to use those when they are done.

Status
Not open for further replies.