• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Configuring Warcraft III for Vista

Did this help you?

• Total voters
Level 6
Requirements
  • Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne must be installed.

• Ensure that the latest patch is also installed: Blizzard Support Page
Getting it to work.

1. Put Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne in administrator mode.

1. Help 1.jpg

2. Right click the Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne icon; select properties.

help 2.jpg

3. Browse to compatibility in the right hand conner, click it then at the bottom. look for run this program in administrator mode and click it.

Help 3.jpg

• If the game still doesn't work you can try to run this in compatibility mode for Windows XP Service Pack 2: it's in the same place as run this program as an administrator.
Now you're done! :infl_thumbs_up:

Warcraft should now run 100%. If sound errors are present, just update the sound card drivers.

Testing

This procedure was tested using two Vista Ultimate PCs and worked 100%.

[rainbow]Feel free to PM me for more help (I can get other older games to work on vista as well!)[/rainbow]

Last edited:
Level 5
I think Windows 2000 compatiblity mode is a feature on the Vista. :confused: Anyways, is there to why vista-users should work with administrator mode? You can't just say that it was tested on the two computer and worked very well.

Level 6
I think Windows 2000 compatiblity mode is a feature on the Vista. :confused: Anyways, is there to why vista-users should work with administrator mode? You can't just say that it was tested on the two computer and worked very well.
Lol im not sure but this is the way i got warcraft 3 to work :) admin mode solves alot of stuff on vista cuz vista muchs sure its the admin playing with the settings ect

Weird. Wc3 works just fine on my Vista. Then again, I had to purge it a few days after I got it because Magos' editor did something to the file types settings and so whenever I double-clicked on a folder it tried to open it in Magos'...

Then I had to reinstall all the drivers...

Even before I nuked it wc3 still worked fine. Weird.

It's Vista Business by the way. Don't ask why.

The only bug I've found is that whenever you click on anything in WE it beeps. Very odd.

Level 1
i tried EVERYTHING above ... i look everywhere how to solve my problem... here my problem: i try to run warcraft TFT and when it starts running all i get is a black screen then my task bar is showing and the screen is still black and my alt+tab i can go to other programns open but the background is still black so i need to ctrl+atl+del and it says warcraft iii : not responding ...so can anyone help me out i miss playing DOTA :(

Level 6
ok frist off carm down its not like its the end of the world
ok now do you have the newst patch from blizzard?
try admin mode as well then run the game if it still dosnt work try the xp and 2000 modes
the black screen could be from your graphics card try getting the newest update for that too and if this still dosnt work send me some screenies so i can try to help out more and what vers of vista? home basic ect.

give me your pc specs if you got like 512 ram and useing vista that would be the main problem but i think you need to try admin mode make your your got the latest patch for warcraft 3 as well and did you turn admin mode on for tft not rc if this still dosnt help try updateing grahpics card driver

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 1
lol. try google for a change.

If you are having a black screen (going in and out) when you try to open WC3, download quicktime. WC3 doesnt support what vista has (how could it), but it does support quicktime. Worked like a charm for me (although i cant see any1 on bnet, but i haven't followed this guide yet). The problem is when you start the game the first time, it tries to play a movie which you dont have the software for.

My brother once had the home premium trial and he crashed within 15 minutes. His first reaction was to blame vista, but it was actually something with his graphics card. Really, I don't think vista is that terrible. Sure, it might not be the best gaming system, but firstly, I've never had it, and apparently I can be thankful for that, and secondly, don't always blame the OS just because someone said it sucks. All the people that I know who have used vista say it's awesome, or it sucks, but then the computer they were on was built for something like 2000.
But anyway, if it helps some people, then yay for them, if it doesn't help you, then that sucks.

Level 36
I KNOW it sucks. I installed it for a single day before putting XP back on. This is why it's so bad: It's performance massively varies from person to person, meaning its not just consistantly bad, it's randomly bad, which is even worse. It's like a freaking grab bag: Stick your hand in and you never know which bugs you'll pull out with you.

Level 36
That's really great, as I've told many people, Vista's bugs occur at random, meaning that sometimes a program will work for one person, and not for a second person, and sometimes it will work and decide to stop working for both people.

A friend of mine had to run Wc3 in Windows 2000 compatibility mode just to make it work.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
WC3 and vista run beautifully (for now) on Intel Core 2 Quad PC with 4 GB ram and Nvidia 8800GT(1GB version) with SP1 installed. I think problems may occure if you are using an old graphic card (pre / early DX10) or are loged in on an account with reduced access as they tend to be the most shaky compatibility wise.

Also terminating not needed processes may improve preformance and compatibility by freeing up more recources but this should not affect anything much if you have exlubrant hardware.

So far only compatibility problem I have seen is Diablo II LOD runs slow (unplayable slow with 10> FPS) as hell when using DirectX render. This can be fixed by switching to DirectDraw render for less quality (runs insainly fast and never lags). This does not seem a fault with Vista but with Nvidia's modern cards as my XP machine with a 7800GS also suffers from the same problem and cure.

Level 36
I'm using an HD2600XT 512 MB which should be more than up to the task with the graphics, and 4 Gb of RAM should make resource worries a thing of the past. And still everything runs slow as shit. also, i'm the only Administrator and user of my PC, so that shouldn't be the issue either.

Level 36
No, we don't. At least I don't, and I've had all kinds of problems with Vista. I have great hardware that makes XP fly, but Vista wont have any of that 'Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHZ' nonsense, or that '4096 MB of RAM' crap. That would be outrageous.

That's the same as my system, but it works fine. For some reason, computers made for Vista work better with Vista, and computers made for XP work better with XP. It's probably not the CPU, hard drive, or any of that, it's probably the stuff that connects it all, and the machine itself.

Level 6
I feel bad for the people who can't play on vista, i just got this vista laptop and wc3 worked for me (THANK GOD) I do a minor video/resolution problem, I soon as I installed the game and turnd it on I noticed the screen was very small. This concerned me greatly so being that its a new laptop, I just threw the resolution all the way up. Even so there are still black borders on either side of the gaming screen, battle.net, single player, not matter where I go they follow! Can you help me make the evil black borders go away nice people?? I would really like to play it full-screen...

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
wet_water, its caused by your graphic driver settings. It is set to not scale the graphics up and WC3 is not the same resolution as your screen.
To make it full screen simply modify the settings via the registry editor and set it to the same resolution as your screen is.

forzamoto do not spam.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Archimondus. . . You have no idea. . .
My vista PC works perfectly. WC3 loads in like 5 seconds with no problems and looks amazing ingame. D2 works perfectly with 1 setting change. TES oblivion works completly flawlessly. Supreme commanders does not crash unlike on this XP machine where it crashes in 1 min of game play.

Really, Vista is under ratted. It works better than most people say it does. Just do not upgrade a slow PC to vista and you will have no problems.