• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Configuring Warcraft III for Vista

Did this help you?

• Total voters
Level 1
Hi ace992 thanx to u very much it helps me now can play warcraft3 on vista but i have a little problem here
that resolution in options>video of warcraft does not support 1600x900 which fit my 16.4inch screen so the warcraft screen is so narrow,the highest is 1024x768
can u help me
thaxn u

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Yes, like I said in another thread, it is caused with a problem with new drivers not telling the game the resoution is supported.

You have to manually edit the options with registry editor and set the resolution to your screen's maximum.

Under your nvidia control panel options, you can enable scalling. This means the image is streched (usually not by billinar filtering so it does not look that good) but should then fill your whole screen.

Level 6
Yeah prob hat dr super good said but you can try this =/

Get latest warcraft 3 tft update MAKE sure you have warcraft 3 tft
get latest graphics card update still no luck try above :)

or! reinstall prob wont help but you never know ^^

Laters^^

Level 6
Sorry for extra post but hey :)
Archimondus. . . You have no idea. . .
My vista PC works perfectly. WC3 loads in like 5 seconds with no problems and looks amazing ingame. D2 works perfectly with 1 setting change. TES oblivion works completly flawlessly. Supreme commanders does not crash unlike on this XP machine where it crashes in 1 min of game play.

Really, Vista is under ratted. It works better than most people say it does. Just do not upgrade a slow PC to vista and you will have no problems.
legend! rep

Level 1
Yes, like I said in another thread, it is caused with a problem with new drivers not telling the game the resoution is supported.

You have to manually edit the options with registry editor and set the resolution to your screen's maximum.

Under your nvidia control panel options, you can enable scalling. This means the image is streched (usually not by billinar filtering so it does not look that good) but should then fill your whole screen.

Can u pls explain in more details or show how to do it
i dont understand,i could not find nvidia in control panel as u said or so on
thanx alots

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I said use your nvidia controle panel (your graphic drivers), unless your ATI which I can not help you if you are. With advanced options enabled you can edit digital screen scaling (which you have I think as analogue ones do not suffer from not filling the screen usually) and enable it. It is called something like Desktop scaling and can easilly cause that problem with games like Diablo II and maybe WC3 if left off (do not scale).

However run "regedit" to open up the registry editor. Then manually find the WC3 options (searching can speed this up) and then edit the fields for screen resolution. Remember to make sure you set them to display as decimal and not hex and then enter your screen's resolution into the 2 fields (1 dimension each). Apply the changes (pressing ok) and then run up WC3 and it should be now at the resolution of your screen and full screen.

Worked for me and now I have WC3 at 1680*1050 on my vista machine.

Level 6
I said use your nvidia controle panel (your graphic drivers), unless your ATI which I can not help you if you are. With advanced options enabled you can edit digital screen scaling (which you have I think as analogue ones do not suffer from not filling the screen usually) and enable it. It is called something like Desktop scaling and can easilly cause that problem with games like Diablo II and maybe WC3 if left off (do not scale).

However run "regedit" to open up the registry editor. Then manually find the WC3 options (searching can speed this up) and then edit the fields for screen resolution. Remember to make sure you set them to display as decimal and not hex and then enter your screen's resolution into the 2 fields (1 dimension each). Apply the changes (pressing ok) and then run up WC3 and it should be now at the resolution of your screen and full screen.

Worked for me and now I have WC3 at 1680*1050 on my vista machine.
Hey make a Tutorial for it with picture for the people who dnt know much computer stuff =/ and link it to this ect :)

Level 15
Discovered a major registry fuckup when upgrading form xp sp2 to vista business. Apparently, registry gets jumbled badly. The programs you had installed before work just fine until they change their registry entries(reinstall, update, whatever). Then, something goes wrong and you can't get them to run again unless you clean your entire registry and appdata. If this is your case, try cleaning your registry using regedit(just open 'run' and write regedit in) and deleting any program files inside appdata folder(find using search on user's documents). Even then, this did not work for my warcraft(must have missed something) so i had to make a dualboot vista/xp but did fine for other programs. Hope this helps.

Level 1
When I am playing wc3 in this vista laptop. All of a sudden the screen will go black and back again to the normal view at random times.
An error will pop-up
It says: "Intel graphics media accelerator is not responding and has recovered"

Can I do something to fix that?

Level 2
1. i run Vista.
2. i play wc3tft.

and still i dont have any issues with it :p
But i guess ppl that talk about "crappy Vista" dont know how to. period.

Good walkthrough for dummies though! =)

People who talks about black screens and all,
should BUY THE GAME instead of downloading cracked ones.
Since there's NO SUCH BUGS IN THE REAL THING.

ty.

Level 2
If you're going to install Vista, do it on a wiped HD. God.

I dont see why a clean HDD (Hard Disk Drive) would matter.
Most ppl who install Vista have a cracked version,
and if so, try to get a REAL version instead of just
getting the first one you find.

And PLEASE, Vegavak, keep the religions in your bible.
There no need to talk about madeup believes.

Level 2
My wc3 doesn't work. Whenever i open wc3, it always causes fatal error every time. In XP my wc3 works, but in vista, it doesn't.
How do i fix this thing? Heal my computer :spell_breaker: :grin:

Dude, its not the OS, its the user.
Maybe you got a bad version from Piratebay? :mwahaha:

Level 2
P2P issues

I seriously dont get this.

People who got a problem with Vista,
dont install it! Since your lack of professionalism is high,
try to keep it to something that doesent require a brain, like XP.

Im having a hard time thinking that users with issues on Vista
got a real version of either wc3 nor Vista.

If YOU cant get wc3 to work on Vista,
why dont you buy the game and the OS BEFORE whining here?
so that YOU dont look like a numbnut.

I bought Vista, and i bought the game.
According to my screen, everything is working like a charm.

:thumbs_up:

Level 2
Hope Windows 7 will become a bigger success than Windows Vista.

Ive read tons about Win7, and it looks like its gonna be super! =)
They have gone through all the bugs and faults of XP and Vista,
fixed them in 7, and then added tons of pro apps and more!
And according to all the test-groups out there, Win7 will start faster,
do faster and float smoother than any OS before them!
They even took some parts from the Ubuntu-systems (Linux),
just to get it 110% right! :D

Level 13
Its rly weird. My warcraft game can be played on vista without doing anything.
I just installed the game and then it ran fine. Maybe its because i bought it after vista had been out there for a year, and then i guess blizzard made warcraft 3 able to be ran on vista with a patch...

Level 21
Is this completly necessary?
No offense, but I just installed Warcraft III RoC and then Warcraft III TFT and it worked without having to do anything. I've patched it from 1.00 to 1.21 because it's the latest version I agree with. 1.22 is messy and 1.23 rejects some maps...
I have Windows Vista Ultimate Service Pack 1.

Last edited:
Level 13
i have gay home basic 32-bit :S But it still works ^^ Ive even got worms world party and Starcraft to run on it. But the menus are all fucked with the colors, (they look really werid,) and in worms the game itself are also messed with the colors.

Level 13
well i dint get worms legally anyway. So i deleted it XD starcraft i can live with, and i even got that legally! ^^ The only annoying thing is in the movies. But i just watch them on youtube instead XD

anyway. Actually no one should use vista, you should use mac! I know some might say "but that cant run all games" and no it cant. But you should be able to run warcraft. Actually blizzard make most of their games for mac, even starcraft (just looked at the back of my OLD CD. And its true)

And most microsoft things just suck, i use it myself, but seriously... Mac is better, its faster better design (ofcause your own oppinion) and they're usually the ones comming up with the best things for their systems ^^

Level 21
Hmm... I have 1.80 GHz now and the core keeps at 1% to 10%... With Firefox opened!
And I have 1022 MBs RAM and it stays at 69% with Firefoc opened.

I think Vista is better than XP.
It may be buggy, but I learned how to use them in my favor and how to dodge them.
It's all about intelligence and the abillity to think, to do something without doing it before.
The one who taught me how to use everything in my favor is Gothic 3. The glitchies game ever. I finished that game! :3

Level 13
Hmm... I have 1.80 GHz now and the core keeps at 1% to 10%... With Firefox opened!
And I have 1022 MBs RAM and it stays at 69% with Firefoc opened.

I think Vista is better than XP.
It may be buggy, but I learned how to use them in my favor and how to dodge them.
It's all about intelligence and the abillity to think, to do something without doing it before.
The one who taught me how to use everything in my favor is Gothic 3. The glitchies game ever. I finished that game! :3

But dont you agree that its annoying, when you made an extremely hard trigger, that WE close down with a bug? :S

Level 6
I dont know if its got anything with vista to do but lately my pc just rejects all new maps i make. Some of my older maps still work but on the new maps (only my own) every time i try to test a map my pc just cant get any further that loading the first 1/8 of the loading bar before it returns to my desktop as if ive never tryed to start the map. But i think it has something to do with vista as nothing happened on my old pc that didnt run on vista...

Level 13
Hmm. Maybe you got some sort of memory leak. I actually think its that, and not your vista system. Try download leakcheck, and test the map. And for an even better result check out a tutorial here on hive, to learn how to spot leaks yourself.

Level 6
Hmm... I might want to try. But its every map. Not just one. Its pretty darn irritating not to be able to make any new map even though its actually the only thing that can keep me on one map. But i can play maps on bnet without trouble.

Level 7
Well, this is the proof that XP is better than Vista for games, because vista uses more physical memory than XP, and is slowing down the PC. Well, ofcourse Vista is more beautyful and that, but the performance counts more. I've just installed the XP sistem, and I'm enjoyin' it!