• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Concept Art Contest #9 - Overwhelming Odds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
Here's another wip. This took me like 1.5 hours to do. Still don't know what the heck I'm doing. I may not finish this before the deadline, so I'll probably post an edited version of a WIP I posted earlier without colors.

Attachments

• IMG_20160824_221114 copy.png
    IMG_20160824_221114 copy.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 283
Last edited:
Level 24
Finished, I guess. Might not be the last, as there might be some improvements to make, if not, this will be my final entry

The Main Thing

The Heart of Tarrasque
theheartoftarrasque-jpg.246727

The Story

The Work

This is Lt. Jones Palez,
A crew of Battlecruiser - Cerberus V. The ship was assigned to patrol the dark systems of the Koprulu Sector. We passed through ruined and dead planets, no signs of life, and no signs of enemies. We reached a reportedly unstable and shadowy planet, Nexhiuras is its name.
As we came closer, we were suddenly attacked... by Zergs. The hulls were breached by green balls released by the zerg's Mutalisks. One hit the engine room and blew half the ship, and the remains were heading down into Nexhiuras atmosphere. we fled into the escape pods, hoping to live.

I was the eleventh pod to came out from the Cerberus V, before it was completely decimated by the damages plus the burning atmosphere. We were falling down, and down, and down. The planet was dark, all I can see was fire, falling down past my pod. Then I saw the lights of my surviving comrades' pods. It shocked me as one by one of them was shot down by Mutalisks, it appears to be, the planet was infested by zergs.
I did what I can to escape the sights of those creatures. There, I was lucky I crashed, but I was unfortunate to crash at one of their Hives. I reacted quickly, took my gun and came out to escape, fortunately the crash burned the Hive's eggs and guards, giving me way.
I came out of the wrecked ship, yet I was still inside the Hive. These tentacles started to bind me, I started shooting them but they were too many. And that was it.

I woke up in the middle of a dead barren, then it came to my mind - blurry, yet horrifying images. I was contained in a pod, tentacles penetrated my skin, and these continued on what appears to be a body of a Protoss, and a zerg cerebrate controlling these long fleshes. The pain was unbearable, as if my very soul is being stretched, and my mind became dark, slowly.
And then I see images, of an alien-- no.. Protoss, a lot of them fighting against the zergs, and I'm being impaled by them, carried me. Then it became black again.
In my mind, I was, the memories I have, slowly being decimated by the cerebrate trying to control and infest me. Yet these strong feeling, someone was with me, and we were together, and we fought the cerebrate. These images I see, happened.

Now, I look at myself, changed. This new and strong body, yet grotesque, was powerful, and in my mind, the knowledge and wisdom flowing. I was turned into a Hybrid, these words keep going in my mind - "Full of form, and full of essence." I am a zerg, I am a Protoss, yet I'm still also Terran, I am still "full of heart".

I can feel the presence of the zergs coming, looking for their failed experiment. And one, gigantic ultralisk found me, this one was different, it is an imperfect hybrid, and it will try to test my mettle. I shall call it, the Tarrasque.
This is the end of the log of Lt. Jones Palez. Died at the planet of Nexhiuras, his last report, "This planet is infested."

And the one that will continue his will, will be the one they shall call... the Nameless. "Full of form, full of essence, and full of heart."
After I threw my first idea on the Concept Contest, I started looking for a new one, and Starcraft and DOTA came into my mind. Heart of Tarrasque, an item from DOTA/2, Tarrasque, was a familiar name, it was a name of an ultralisk, could be stronger than a Messersmichdt ultralisk. I didn't bother looking at google and rather searched for Ultralisk references, such as these.
Then I have to think of the one that'll be facing the odds, I'm thinking a hybrid, but different.

I got the idea, and so I started with the first most, rough sketches.

hot1-jpg.244769

Then gone with the colors of the backround,

hot2-jpg.244770

Going for the Tarrasque's head, first grayscaled it.

hot3-jpg.245752

And last WiP, going to color it, then add effects.

hot4-jpg.246549

===========
@deepstrasz

Is that Ultralisk/Omegalisk inspired, Edge45?

More like an incomplete hybrid, the word Tarrasque is very familiar in Starcraft so I named it like that.

Attachments

• TheHeartofTarrasque.jpg
    TheHeartofTarrasque.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 957
Alright, this is it final entry

The Last stand

14086244_642887342553725_700093518507509270_o.jpg

''Here I stand all alone, my brethren all lie dead around me. As I hid in fright of fighting, the fighting was brought unto them all, and now around me is only misery. And so I make my final stand, to honour those better than me, to ascend in their memory, as they descend to posess me. Now I fight with the spirit of an army, the strenght of a thousand, and I shall die in glorified battle, with dignity, for honour!'' - Entry #201475 - ID 20100 - G.@ix

Thanks Keiji and Kirsti for the text. Just like many other artists on this competition didn't manage to quite finish my piece in time for the competition's deadline But it's good enough none the less... I'll finish it some other days hopefully! Tried to push myself out of my comfort zone by drawing water reflection, water ripples, bouncing lights, hardcore perspective work, draw stuff that are underwater, etc.... yeah might explain why I didn't had time to finish everything. :O had a blast none the less! :D

For those who can't proprely read my drawing due to the lack of rendering, we're basically looking down on an alien warrior standing in a water puddle with his fallen friends around him... the sky is reflecting in the puddle and so is the creature that killed his friends... something like that.

THE ALIENS

13913665_630109927164800_8800362430523608059_o.jpg

The Locuss
Avoid at all cost. These buzzing insects have only one purpose in life since the moment they hatch= protect their queen at all cost. Acting like living bullets, these creatures only gain speed to pierce through enemies flesh and die in the process. They release a paralyzing fluid on impact. These are mindless creatures who doesn't feed or reproduce, their sole purpouse is to kill and die doing so.

13923769_633583093484150_528959775772104082_o.jpg

The Queen
Avoid at all cost. These giant walking creatures are machines of mass destruction. They hold into them over a milion eggs of Locuss, on which they release once treathend. They can live over two hundred years. They feed by sucking the on large animal carcasses, through a huge pipe shaped tongue. Their origin and life cycle is unknown.

Click here for work in progress

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 16
read this first before viewing the pic

"Here I stand, the last hope for a dying world as it ebbed its life away. It came crashing down from the skies, wrapping itself on our world as it eats away its essence

I, Princess Galatea, daughter of the world, the last hope of my mother, stand against the world eater, against all odds..."

Overwhelming odds1.jpg

the world dies

Last edited:
Level 16
Been busy this past week and I haven't had time to work on my entry. Literally rushed this this past couple hours. This is most likely my final entry unless I can squeeze in more time today to work on it.

Visiting Friends
"Thank you for saving me that day."-Leah to her dead friends.
IMG_20160824_221114.png
I was 15 when I was kidnapped from my village.
I was a but a simple girl in a simple village in the north. I was in the outskirts of the village with my father who had taken me along to go fishing with him. Father was there by the river, tending the lures, while I was atop a small hill looking out at the vast expanse beyond the waters. After preparing the boat and our fishing equipment, father called out to me.
"I wonder what's out there." I thought as I looked on for a second before joining my father.

It was then at that moment I set foot at the base of the hill, a black hole suddenly appeared right below me and started to pull me in. I screamed and my father soon ran to aid me. I was halfway in by the time he reached me. My father grabbed hold of both my hands and started pulling. I kept sinking however. I started crying, frantically yelling at my father to help me, but he couldn't. Soon darkness enveloped me as the last thing I saw was my father's horrified face.

From the darkness, I was suddenly thrust into a small cage. Around me were dark figures, staring at me, speaking in a tongue unknown to me.
"Where a-am I?" I asked shakily, tears flowing down my face.
The figures grew silent.
"P-please let me out."
The figures, still silent, still staring.
"Where i-is my f-father?"
One of them lit a a candle and slowly, he held it up to his face where I was met with a terrifying image. It's head was grotesque. Malformed. It's eyes stitched shut. It's lips missing, showing its sharp teeth. Bloody scars covered it's face. I couldn't move. I stopped crying. I couldn't look away as the thing I faced smiled. I passed out soon after. Unconsciousness, however, could not keep me safe from the horrors I experienced after. I was the subject of many painful rituals and experiments. Each day I was put through hours of pain and torment. This went on for a few days and I was close to breaking my mind. Close to being a mindless husk.

On the fourth day however, I was saved from my confines by a group of people. There was a female elf, a human male, and a dwarf male. I felt so relieved and happy after being freed, but what followed soon after was nothing to be happy about. As easy as their entry was, our escape was not. We were met with many enemies on our way out. The trio were able to fend them off but not for a while. Soon they started to fall. First was the elf, a spear piercing her chest after felling a flesh giant. Next was the dwarf, who sacrificed himself to stop most of the enemy from following. Finally, the human was last to fall. He stayed behind to stop the few that were following. I was the only one to survive.

A traveling merchant had found me passed out by the road, ways away from the nightmare I had once been. He took me with him and let me rest at the back of his wagon. He traveled for a few days before reaching the city, where he dropped me off at the military. There, I grew up and trained with soldiers. 4 years later, I set out to find and face the nightmares I ran away from. On my journey, I learned about the group who had kidnapped me. They were cultists who's objective is to prepare the the return of an old god. A god who would bring about the end. I soon found cave I was imprisoned in. There was no one there but the dead bodies of those who saved me and those who put me through hell. Everything was as I remembered it at the time of my escape. I payed my thanks and respect to each of the three that saved me before setting their bodies aflame.

Atop a hill I stood, looking out beyond the vast expanse of water before me.
"I wonder." I said to myself.

Will edit post later for better formatting.

Last edited:
Level 14
hey guys, pretty cool art :)

I have too much work at my job at the moment, so I cannot finish my concept in time. I will finish this anyway but I just cant make it in time. maybe next week ...
I really hate it :( but I had to let the idea go of competing in this contest because I have like 30 mins of free time for wc3 things each day at the moment ... :(

Good luck to everybody :)

Level 28
ARRIGHT here's the final mess I got for this contest!

Still managing not to suck at colouring after the whole greyscale drawing is complete. I thought that process was going to be easier but life is a box of surprises. Also thank you guys for the patience of delaying this a whole week.

Final entry

Hopeless Rescue

Art

Last WIP

First WIP

Overwhelming Odds.jpg

WIP4.jpg

WIP2.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.