• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Combat Zone 3.6

Reactions: DrunkenPanda200
Combat Zone is some kind of Battlefield for Warcraft III. It has a very good, almost lagg-free physic engine, and uses only arrow keys and hotkeys. The physics contain knockback, acceleration, sliding, ground friction, air friction, uplift, gravity, collision damage and bouncing. An AI is included, for Aiming Rockets and for extra AI bots which can be added ingame (-addbot 0 will make a bot follow player 0, red). The map uses Warcraft only for hotkeys and for placing the models, movement and so on is completely scripted and optimized as much as possible. Currently the map is some kind of demonstration, not a real map, it has no victory conditions, but makes fun nontheless. There are different vehicles like planes (Me 109, F22, A10, B17, B2 Stealth, MIG-29), helicopters (Cobra, Orca), ground vehicles (Hellhound, Hammerhead, Tank, MLRS, Jeep, Titan) with all different characteristics. Want to fly into the enemy with your plane and use your ejector seat milliseconds before impact and then open your parachute? Or unleash the force of a nuclear bomb? Nail your enemies with Machine Guns? Start a futuristic war with Plasma and Photon Guns? Burn your opponent with a Flame Thrower? Use a Smoke Grenade and overrun him? Teleport next to him? Evade his missiles with missile flares and then chase him to death between large city buildings with a jet? Be creative.

And still, the map has very small delay, compared to the average delay in maps using arrow keys.

VERY much thanks to all creators of models I used, this map without imports wouldn't be what it is now. I hope the way I gave credit to modelers on the loading screen is enough.

Have fun with it, and give feedback to me!

This map is unprotected, for everyone who want to take a look at the engine. If you want to create a mod, notify me.

Keywords:
Combat Zone, Battlefield, Modern, Flight Simulator, Tanks, Planes
Contents

Combat Zone 3.6 (Map)

Reviews
18:57, 10th Jan 2009 Rui: As I always say, modern warfare is not my type, but this one is a must-try. The desync bug is a downside, but it is still worth a shot. See my full review here. With a rating of 7/10 (3,5), this map is Approved!
Level 8
i LOVE the arrow movement! just without all the vehicles! but the problem is my map crashes with JASS! can you non jass the movement system? (INCLUDING the backward walking? thats tooooo cool :D) i realy hope you can. ;D
________
NitroJeff

Last edited:
Level 2
i might add some soldier classes to spice things up if nazgul stays away still
or if he gives permission im thinking of using like a dialog so when u die u type like -rez
and it'd show a dialog that is like
Sniper maybe even adding a scope system
Heavy faster gun
Original same as is
Tanker but load hp but same as above in other aspects
Thing is
when u would enter a vehicle
u exit as original
so if some one knows how i can attach like player 1 = sniper
or something variable
im any one knows feel free to respond to this or email me ask for email and ill pm it

Level 2
actually in all honesty is hate to i just want to do that ill probably do it any way but if nazgul dosen't mind id post it as sorta a "mod'
and yeah its complicated but some one gotta do it

Level 18
okay maybe nazy died.

hopefulley tyreal will spuce up the map?

by the way, i was playing around with the terrain on the map...

its interesting.

i used a snow tileset, and everytime a car came to a snowy patch, it would continue to slide until it was off the snowy patch o_O friction perhaps in the game? awsome.

also, i added hills, it turns out that your character walks around on air at which the highest point on the hill is the maximum. so when you walk, you walk on air, regardless of whether you are on a hill or not, and its based on the hills maximum height... kinda confusing but its coool

Level 10
guys, i am still alive... and that time with a girl, that actually is like 2 months ago ^^

you have the permission to edit the map, however, do it well ^^

and, what i was doing instead of combat zone? Supreme Commander
however, i was not working on anything thaaat much last time, spent time with my family, with friends, played the guitar, tried to sing, read, etc^^ and made some maps of course, but well ^^

thanks for all your compliments^^

so, probably i wont do much on this map any more, perhaps sometime, but its not very likely to happen in the next time, if it is, it may only be a very bit.

Level 21
Human brain is better than any computer, but so long you can't create yourself hallucinations!
A human brain can do 120.000.000.000.000 actions every second but a computer can do less than 2000...
The biggest computer so far can do only 2.000.000.000.000 actions every second, and it requites a 100 square kilometers room full of processors!

Level 10
first, i am drunken, so dont value my post oo high

i heard of a test where the human brain had like the same results as a current computer, however, the computer just works in adifferent way.. it uses those actions per second, the brain actually is slower, but does way more actions at the same time

alll in all, do wahtever you want to do, but DO whatever you want to do!, so if you think "do whatever you want to do" means that you can just follow doing the things you already have done for a long time, that wrong, do, what you would do if there were no law, no rules, no anything, as long as you arent one of those who are hating all humanity... meet persons you dont know, get to know them, get to like them and so on, but just dont say you are in a situation where you cant get back to society, its at least worth a try... i am a mapper, and referring to my "skills" i think its proobably obvious that i spent a lot of time into it, but i still have a social life, i had a girlfriend some time ago, i have friends, i am actually just at a friends house, just wnated to check what nice comments you posted on my map :) but as he fell into sleep i have time to post a longer text^^

and, this all was very theoretical, and shy guys wouldnt be able to follow my tips, however, i played supreme commander with a guy, and a later told him my experiences about life, and he said he was helped a lot... so heres what i think you all should do: get to know people, if you think they may not like you, just talk to them anyways... you may everytime have an answer to what they say, even if you think your opposite wont like it, but say it. if he doesnt like it, you dont fit together anyways... so in general, whatever you do, as yourself thinks its the right thing to do, it actually is right. and if you have problems to talk to other persons, i talked to a lot of persons, and even those who i thought bad about, those, who seemed to be very "cool" and so on, accepted my point of view, though there werent nerds who would respect what ive done in warcraft... actually, this is no help at all, so you have the same chances like me, and for me, i didnt have any problems till now

please, follow your own ideals, and dont betray yourself... whatever you do, as long as its yourself, i think you wont walk into any problems... the problems begin when you try to be what others want you to be, cause you dont know the role you want to jump into

if this post helped you, thats nice, otherwise, take the excuse that i am drunk

by the way, i like that this topic turned into some kind of philosophy, not just about the map... as i already told you all, i wont work on the map any longer probably, but if you want to talk about anything else, write me a message on icq, 259-699-010..

and, remember, i cant explain things very good as english isnt my native tongue... my native tongue is german

bye guys

bob666, n-a-z-g-u-l or just marius

and by the way: very much thanks for all your positive comments on the map

Level 21
You need to train your brain for working at the maximum capacity...

and
where are you from?
And after i readed you post i realised that you drunk 2 or more beers...

And remember, your brain is the best computer you ever had.
And, i say again : the best computer today can do ONLY 2.000.000.000.000. actions per second, and it is owned by N.A.S.A.
This is 60 times less than the human brain... And takes about 100000 times more space!

Level 10
well, actually, you will never be able to calculate the flight pathes of 100 projectiles in intervals of 0.02 seconds, if you have the given rules for their movement... a computer can

computers can compute things better, however, they have nothing of creativity and those human things. the human may be able to do more operations per second, but you cannot influence what they are used for very much... you need them to see, to react to other things, move your body and so on, the computer can just work for one purpose, but it can be focused on that better

im none of those who would say "my computer is more intelligent than me" or something... its faster, but that has nothing to do with intelligence... i wouldnt switch my brain with any 1000 times better computer, if it existed

how good a computer is, isnt the speed it works with, in my opinion its the firmware, the operating system, the software... because a computer actually cannot do NOTHING on its own..
and: i am more happy with the software in my brain than windows^^ woohoo if my brain worked with any microsoft software :D

aaah, and i am from germany

Level 10
4 liters, that are 2 sixpacks... well i think that can be done, if the night is long enough^^

by the way, i just thought about working on combat zone again, for one version or something like that... especially i would like to make more bullets fly around (in supcom it seems to work), so i would reduce cooldowns and so on, increase lifespan, probably give a shotgun to the soldier and well yes... all in all more bullets^^ and i would give that rocket hail to the helicopter

i dont know whats about lagg, but do you have more problems when there are more bullets in the air? a lot more? otherwise this changes would be nice imho

Level 10
you are wrong... the code itself isnt laggy, its only what it works on... if i have 5 projectiles, it has to be executed five times, if i have 10, it has to be executed 10 times and so on.. anyways, i doubt the game really laggs in normal cases, its more the arrow key delay which wc3 has even without any other code than the arrow key registration

EDIT: just looked into the map and seems like i am not really interested in putting so much work into it... i would like the changes, but currently i am not on the mood to work for those changes, and i dont think i will be in that mood in the next time

Last edited:
Level 2
wow been a long time since was here and OMG nazgul was here thats great!
and ive liked dropped from the wc3 secene im no working on "magic tricks"
and its fun yet really disapointing know what i mean
[i was just here cause i was bored :(]

Level 18
Here is my rating and comment:

1 - 10 points go on originality
1 - 10 points go on object editor work
1 - 10 points go on scripting
1 - 10 points go on terrain
1 - 10 points go on bug free
1 - 10 points go on gameplay/fun factor
1 - 10 points go on lag
1 - 10 points go on proper submission and crediting
-------------------------------------------------
That equals 80 points max.

Originality: 6 points
It was a modern warfare map. Not that original.

Object editor work: 9 points
It was good, no typos, no nothing, it was very good actualy.

Scripting: 6 points
It was quite fine. However the arrow movement is bad sometimes. I don't realy like it. I know it is the only way but... I sometimes crashed in a lamp and I didn't go thorough it, just close it.

Terrain: 6 points
It was okay, but nothing fancy or anything. The model choice was good however.

Bug Free: 8 points
It didn't bug, it didn't take much to load. However you should try making it that vechiles can crash to one another.

Gameplay/Fun Factor: 8 points
It was fun to play. Very fun. However the rocket tank is way overpowered.

Lag: 8 points
The game didn't cause lag. Loading time was fine.

Proper submission and crediting: 9 points
You gave proper crediting, explained the map. One point lacking is some images.

In overall: 61 / 80
-----------------
The map is fun to play and very fresh. It doesn't get boring at all. However here are some things you should look out for:

- The missile tank is overpowered
- Try making it so that the tanks can crash
- The arrow movement is to annoying
- Better terrain
- Making more vechiles + weapons for human

For the hive grade: 4/5 I suggest this map for: Approval

I was thinking about 3 and 4. However you made the gameplay fun. Thats what counts so that made me give you a 4.

Good Luck, bounty hunter2

Last edited:
Reactions: Rui

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Rui's Review ("Combat Zone" version 3.6)
Map's Pluses and Minuses
√ Hive Workshop requirements
√ Imported Material
√ Originality
√ Packaging
√ Spelling & Grammar
√ Newbie-friendly
√ Object editor work quality

+/- Terrain
+/- Fun Factor/Gameplay
+/- Balance
+/- Bug-free

? Machine/Net-friendly
"Combat Zone" is a modern warfare shooting map by N-a-z-g-u-l. The map is not too hard to learn: you control a character that, aside from shooting, of course, can perform a number of other actions such as entering vehicles and control them! Among those, you can control jeeps, tanks, and helicopters!

I liked the originality mostly, as well as the fancy moves and actions that were made possible through JASS. Congratulations for that.

What I didn't like so much: the terrain. It was flat, but I guess that was due to the incapability of detecting heights without getting a desync. But the the rocks were hovering like ghosts, and that could have been avoided easily.

I guess I didn't enjoy the map that much because we played only
2vs2, which gets boring fast.Aside from what I said, I can only remember the balance. As you may already know, maps like these tend to be imbalanced because the host can react faster.
EDIT: Another thing I did not like: the turning rate. You just couldn't get the soldier to shoot where you wanted.
My rating for this map is 7/10, approximately 4 (Recommended). I was about to rate a 3, but I guess the fancy scripts deserve a reward.

People, stop spamming the thread.

Level 23
Combat zone... I practically loved it. It was unique and had gameplaying style, imported materials, a very modern addition to warcraft. The terrain was nice too (but I didnt see any height changes on the terrain?).

The tanks where op though, I killed my opponents a few times.

I personally loved the jump pad but together with the tank with homing missiles it was very overpowered. I could stand there shooting a missile after another killing them over and over again. And since it had over 1000 hp too and didnt took alot of damage either from hitting the ground.

Like Rui said, the turn rate was too much. It should be decreased to around ~half of the current one.

Although it needs some polish, I enjoyed playing it. It almosts deserve a 5, but at the moment, it will be a 4=)

Level 18
wattt?

a 4/5 by moderators?

did you even look at jass in this map? omg its ingenious.
im not insulting you Rui, but i think that this needs another review.
The terrain is fine from ingame. Height variation cant be helped, and there were to many nice features to really pay attention to the hovering rocks >.>

i seriously think this needs to be re-reviewd. Ive seen WAY shittier maps get directors cut, and this only gets a 4/5 ? i dont think thats fair at all....

Last edited: