1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Choose your ride to damnation in the 5th Special Effect Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The winners of the 13th Techtree Contest have been announced!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The 13th Music Contest Poll is up! Vote for the best tracks in this symphony of frost and flame.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Combat Zone 3.6

Submitted by N-a-z-g-u-l
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
Combat Zone is some kind of Battlefield for Warcraft III. It has a very good, almost lagg-free physic engine, and uses only arrow keys and hotkeys. The physics contain knockback, acceleration, sliding, ground friction, air friction, uplift, gravity, collision damage and bouncing. An AI is included, for Aiming Rockets and for extra AI bots which can be added ingame (-addbot 0 will make a bot follow player 0, red). The map uses Warcraft only for hotkeys and for placing the models, movement and so on is completely scripted and optimized as much as possible. Currently the map is some kind of demonstration, not a real map, it has no victory conditions, but makes fun nontheless. There are different vehicles like planes (Me 109, F22, A10, B17, B2 Stealth, MIG-29), helicopters (Cobra, Orca), ground vehicles (Hellhound, Hammerhead, Tank, MLRS, Jeep, Titan) with all different characteristics. Want to fly into the enemy with your plane and use your ejector seat milliseconds before impact and then open your parachute? Or unleash the force of a nuclear bomb? Nail your enemies with Machine Guns? Start a futuristic war with Plasma and Photon Guns? Burn your opponent with a Flame Thrower? Use a Smoke Grenade and overrun him? Teleport next to him? Evade his missiles with missile flares and then chase him to death between large city buildings with a jet? Be creative.

And still, the map has very small delay, compared to the average delay in maps using arrow keys.

VERY much thanks to all creators of models I used, this map without imports wouldn't be what it is now. I hope the way I gave credit to modelers on the loading screen is enough.

Have fun with it, and give feedback to me!

This map is unprotected, for everyone who want to take a look at the engine. If you want to create a mod, notify me.

Keywords:
Combat Zone, Battlefield, Modern, Flight Simulator, Tanks, Planes
Contents

Combat Zone 3.6 (Map)

Reviews
18:57, 10th Jan 2009 Rui: As I always say, modern warfare is not my type, but this one is a must-try. The desync bug is a downside, but it is still worth a shot. See my full review here. With a rating of 7/10 (3,5), this map is Approved!
  1. 18:57, 10th Jan 2009
    Rui:
    As I always say, modern warfare is not my type, but this one is a must-try. The desync bug is a downside, but it is still worth a shot.
    See my full review here.
    With a rating of 7/10 (3,5), this map is Approved!

2. N-a-z-g-u-l

N-a-z-g-u-l

Resources:
    Maps:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I should have added a screenshot to make people find this map, but I am currently not able to upload any images.

I hope it will be found nevertheless.

3. cortezz

cortezz

Resources:
    Resources:
    really great map amazing map. Have trouble playing with others thought they complain it runs to slow and leave. Maybe work on add fog or the map not entirely revealed so people can play it better. So try to work on the lag other than that amazing map 10/10

4. N-a-z-g-u-l

N-a-z-g-u-l

Resources:
    Maps:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Ah, forgot to mention:
    Bob666 = N-a-z-g-u-l

Bob666 is my new account, my old one is N-a-z-g-u-l. Some might know that because of battle tanks.

You mean it would help to add fog of war and only reveal the map in the area you currently are? hmm, perhaps you are right... however, you can change the sight range with -farz 8000, 8000 is standard, 10000 will lagg more, 6000 laggs less, i found 8000 a good value.

However, collision works like it picks all doodads around the unit every 0.03 seconds and checks if they collide with the unit, so that may be the source of lagg... i already spend dozens of hours fixing the lagg, and already reduced it to about 35% of the original delay, but it will get really hard to make the delay even smaller... perhaps fog of war helps, I will try that. And other fog, not fog-of-war, already exists ;) -fog 0.1 is standard and makes the last 10% of sight range fading to grey, -fog 1 will make the whole sight fading to grey, and so on... command explanations with "-help" are a bit short i think^^

And is any feature missing in the map? I would like to improve it further, but i dont have any ideas left which dont cause more lagg...

Hm.. Unfortunately this map seems to be hidden in between the masses of same maps... too bad...

5. Supermj

Supermj

Resources:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I could have sworn I saw a non-AIed version in spells... but this is really cool!

6. N-a-z-g-u-l

N-a-z-g-u-l

Resources:
    Maps:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Ah you are right.. I was sure I uploaded that map before but could not find it in the map ressources^^

However, there is a GREAT difference between the physics of both games, graphics, too... This one has better physics, better graphics, less lagg, more vehicles... Just everything is improved a lot

EDIT:
    I only tested the map with 2 players before, today i played a 3-player-game and it only did not lagg for the host, the others had big problems with lagg...
    However, everything is fine with 2 players..
    Im now searching for the reason

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2009
  7. I)eath2u4me

I)eath2u4me

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Okay, your map is extremely great and everyhting. The concept and theme and gameplay is awsome, but its only downfall is that disgusting movement system. Seriously, i ouwld rate this a 5/10 because of that. Im not gonna rate it now, but it fix it, and ill rate it a 10/10. The move system is too delayed or somehting, because he keeps moving after you release the arrow keys, and the turning is too...idk really, too sucky. i htink it turns to fast, or keeps turning when when you release the arrow keys. THANKS.

8. N-a-z-g-u-l

N-a-z-g-u-l

Resources:
    Maps:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    thats warcraft... it laggs with more than 2 players, and on battle.net... but with hamachi or on LAN and with a maximum of 2 players it works fine... sorry, i cant change anything there...

and that it keeps moving after you let off the key... of course! no car would stop as soon as you stop accelerating...

9. sjama

sjama

Resources:
    Resources:
    can i have that jump system?
    cause it's pretty awesome and i am working with a fps map.
    anyway, your map is AWESOME. i can't believe that this map is made.
    good job on this, continue on this awesome idea

10. N-a-z-g-u-l

N-a-z-g-u-l

Resources:
    Maps:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    the problem is, it is not only a jump system, all movement is together, all what the ability jump does is to add a vector in z-direction, the rest is done by the movement / physics system... also movement on the ground is controlled this way, and it is able to react on almost every situation, like when i would place a tank on a skyscraper, it could drive around there, and when leaving it, it would fall down and be damaged
    and yes, you could have the system, but i dont know if you really want to base your whole map on this^^ because that would be required...

btw, a littile trick i found out, that may improve your jump animation:
    call SetUnitFlyHeight(U, Z+SpeedZ, 0)
    instead of
    call SetUnitFlyHeight(U, Z, 0)

the function is quite slow and when you add the speedz value you "look into the future" and then set the fly height before it really reaches it, because then its in time... i had problems with this with my camera, but after i added speedz to the units' height the camera always was on the right height.. before it wasnt correctly adjusted when the target was moving

to describe the way a jump works:
    speedZ is added, then, when in the air, gravity reduces speedZ (always substract the same number), and then, when Z reaches ground, speedZ is set to zero... X and Y are increased when the jump starts (both *1.2), friction and acceleration is reduced while in the air

EDIT:
    2.6 is uploaded... some problems might be fixed, some lagg removed, overall improved, soldier can throw grenades, and it is unprotected for those who want to see how it works

Screenshots added:
    http://btanks.net/m/screen33.jpg
    http://btanks.net/m/screen34.jpg
    http://btanks.net/m/screen35.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2009
  11. Dinah

Dinah

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    wow this map is REALY awesome
    i know that u can make many things with jass scripts but this is ... amazing!!

more like that^^

12. Supermj

Supermj

Resources:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I still have the problem with the opening. I still can't open it... I really don't know why? Out of curiosity, who else has a mac that can't open it?

13. Matilda_Knights

Matilda_Knights

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Finally!! I was looking for this map for ages!!

Super Super Super awesome!!

Hey can u edit my Pilot system map into this cool map system??

how can u change the planes' angle of attack??

Super Awesome man!! 5/5 :D

14. N-a-z-g-u-l

N-a-z-g-u-l

Resources:
    Maps:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    thanks all of you ;)

can i edit your pilot system map into this cool map system? what do you mean?

how to change the angle of attack?
    http://www.thehelper.net/forums/showthread.php?t=77383
    here you can find a model, its from Caster System, which has 180 stand animations.. weird, yes^^ every animation represents an angle (in degrees)
    use SetUnitAnimationByIndex(U, index) to set the animation used by a unit, then attach the units model to that dummy, attachment point origin is what i use..

i also changed the extents of the model, so it is visible also if the cam does not show the units origin, thats needed for bigger models or traces

as this map is open source, you may find some more information inside the map, if you look carefully, and you can export my dummy.mdx with larger extents,if you want to

if theres still something open, write a comment or send a pm or an icq message (259-699-010)

and to supermj:
    when exactly does the map break in wc3? after loading or before loading? or even before startign loading? and does the editor show any error message?

15. Matilda_Knights

Matilda_Knights

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I want u to turn my pilot system map into an ace combat fighting map that specialize more on air combat.

Since i'm soooo noob at jass......u can do whenever u want with it!!

Physics is power!! :D

16. N-a-z-g-u-l

N-a-z-g-u-l

Resources:
    Maps:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    i think it woul be easier to make this map more air fight based^^ just remove all ground units, that should already make it air-fighting

17. Reap of Creep

Reap of Creep

Resources:
    Resources:
    omfg this is awesome one of the best wc3 maps ever the physic is the best damn i like it

18. TBC

TBC

Resources:
    Resources:
    This map is truly amazing! I never would've thought this could be done on WC3.

19. adampalicki

adampalicki

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Oh wow. I just started working on a map like this recently, thinking I would be the first. Congrats, you beat me.