• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Cleaving-attack kinda thingy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Hi dear Hivemembers,

I wanted to create a Hero with numerous triggered on hit effects and as his ultimate skill I want a triggered cleaving attack.

My Problem is not to set the AOE or limit the Number of enemies hit but...

To deal the correct amount of Damage:

The Damage dealt by a normal hit is reduced by armour and influenced by various other factors such as items or buffs.

Sure I could pick every Unit in x AOE and deal the same Damage as the first one received but this isn't correct cause various creeps got various armourtypes and points so they would recieve different amount of damage.

I guess easiest way would be to relate the Damage to the Normal attack damage of the Hero but I don't know how to do that with GUI.

The sense of the Ultimate skill is to multiply the chance and the targets of the "on hit effects" of the Hero so please don't suggest me to "just use the cleaving attack skill"

If someone could help me solving that Problem I would be really thankful.

Greetz and thanks in advace Grantuu

Level 12
He wants an ability that gives a chance that a Cleaving Attack gets done "on hit" and wants the damage done to not be altered by armor, I think.

Anyway my suggestion is to use Pulverize- chance to happen "on hit", deals damage to multiple units, and the damage isn't affected by armor.

Level 6
Thanks for help but this isn't what I wanted ^^

I wanted:

-A "standard" cleaving attack with limited number of targets No Problem to me

-All the Targets should get the Damage they would have recieved when they would have got hit by the Hero Problem

Example:

-The Hero has a standard attack damage of 100

-creep "A" has got 12% damage reduction through its armour

-creep "B" has got 5% damage reduction

-and creep "C" got 25%

If the hero would hit:

-creep A it would recieve about 88 DMG

-creep B about 95 DMG

-creep C about 75 DMG

So I want the "cleaving" to deal this Damage in the correct way

so if creep C is main target it will be hit for the normal damage (75) but creep A and B right next to creep C will recieve the correct amount too (A-88, B-95)

Hope now the problem is stated clear and someone can help^^

Greetz Grantuu

Level 10
As you are finding out, there's no way to directly get the attack damage of a unit (and this is compounded because the unit's damage most likely has a random component).

In order to do this, you will need to track and be able to calculate one of the two following values:
- The target's damage reduction, requiring pre-coded knowledge of its armor type, armor per agility, armor granted by any items, abilities, auras, or buffs, and any additional damage modification due to other abilities such as Berserk, Hardened Skin, Elune's Grace, Spiked Carapace, etc. With this, you'd be able to calculate exactly the damage done by the attacker, including any random component such as its natural damage random spread, criticals, bash, etc.
- The values constituting the attacker's damage value, requiring pre-coded knowledge of its base damage, damage per main attribute, and any contributed by items, abilities, and auras.

Two much easier options would be:
- Instead use Barrage with a missile speed of 0. This will allow you to limit the # of targets and it will do the attacker's normal attack damage and damage type to the affected targets, although the AOE will be centered on the attacker and it will conflict with any buff placer abilities that the attacker has.
- Base the cleave damage on something simple, such as the unit's primary attribute (and describe it thusly in the ability tooltip), instead of on its attack damage.

Last edited:
Level 10
They will, of course, each trigger a damage event when hit, although it will be hard to separate that from from spell damage because you can't use the buff-placer trick to discern attacks from other damage. If you're triggering all spell damage, or if there's some other way to tell when the hero is causing non-attack damage, you're set.

Status
Not open for further replies.