• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Chronicles of the Second War: Tides of Darkness

This bundle is marked as director's cut. It exceeds all expectations and excels in every regard.
maptitle-png.385652

Chronicles of the Second War:
Tides of Darkness
Relive the events of Warcraft II orc campaign, reimagined in Reforged engine.
Experience rich lore from the events of the Second War, based on classic games and novels.
Enjoy the gameplay that merges best features of WC2 and WC3, through RTS and RPG missions.
Explore mysterious places and conquer mighty cities with beautifully crafted terrain and decorations.

fade-seperator-png.362941

*** Installation Guide for Windows OS***
ActionVisual Clue
This campaign is available for those who have purchased a copy of "Warcraft III: Reforged": https://warcraft3.blizzard.com/ latest version 1.36.1
If you have the Demo version of CSW (circa 2020) installed - delete it and clean up the retail folder from its assets
Make sure your game settings are set HD reforged graphics
Download the campaign file
Put campaign file into C:/User/Documents/Warcraft3/Campaigns/
f8c391e5-7ff3-4be1-ade5-568d894dee0e-png.457961
Download installer Asset Installer
Put installer into Warcraft 3 folder where Game Launcher.exe is placed
1c02d8c8-ab64-49a6-98d6-f9ed69e65ee2-png.457962
Download asset pack Asset Pack
Run CSW Installer.exe as Administrator
f67e04c2-61a0-45a6-865e-d2b198161ef4-png.457966
Click button “Load Resource” - pick the Asset Pack
17def230-db66-4f7c-a2bf-117548de70ef-png.457963
Wait till the archive is unpacked
Reboot your PC
Launch "Wacraft III: Reforged" game
Go to “Single Player” → “Custom Campaign”
d37efbc2-827a-4f7b-8b33-e2fae4daac4c-png.457965
Play the game.
Remember that Campaign works only in HD (Reforged graphics) game settings.
The Campaign is not compatible with Quenching mod.

If textures were not applied after installation of asset pack - reinstall assets one more time.
b2474263-8d30-4e41-bf5a-ff4cc2b07f28-png.457964

*** Installation Guide for MAC OS***
ActionVisual Clue
This campaign is available for those who have purchased a copy of "Warcraft III: Reforged": https://warcraft3.blizzard.com/ latest version 1.36.1
Put campaign file into folder for campaign in MAC OS
Right click on the TOD_Campaign_Assets.csw file and open with Archive Utility.
Unzip the Asset Pack as you would a zip file into the retail folder within the Reforged installation directory.
Open the terminal and enter the following exactly:
defaults write "com.blizzard.Warcraft III" "Allow Local Files" -int 1
If texture issues persist after the above steps, try restarting the machine.
Play the game.

If textures were not applied after installation of asset pack - reinstall assets one more time.

*** Installation Guide for Linux OS***
ActionVisual Clue
Put campaign file into folder for campaign in Linux OS
Follow the following guide but for Warcraft 3 Reforged: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxet_LLQIwE&t=424s
This runs Reforged under Steam's emulation layer
Unzip the Asset Pack as you would a zip file into the retail folder within the Reforged installation directory
The tricky part is finding your "home" directory where you put your custom campaigns. In one user's case (agibsonccc) the filepath was the following:
/home/agibsonccc/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/2542504305/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/Documents/Warcraft III/Campaigns
The way proton works is you have steam and then an "appid" followed by a "prefix". The appid is basically a mapping to a "game" you specify in the left side in steam. That's wine's root directory. drive_c is C: then from there the paths should be the same.
If texture issues persist after the above steps, try restarting the machine.
Play the game.

Features
17 Missions packed with captivating gameplay

5 hours of Cinematics capturing and expanding on important lore moments

Lore conveyed through immersing gameplay, bringing you back into WC2 era

Voice Acting for over 1500 lines, from unit quotes to cinematics

Soundtrack recreating original Warcraft II music, made by talented artists

Heroes & Characters introduced through gameplay and cameos

Oil Resource system from classic Warcraft II, for immersive naval experience

Boss Battles with engaging and challenging mechanics inspired by World of Warcraft

Recommended PC Requirements
HardwareValue
Operating SystemWindows 10 64-bit (latest version)
ProcessorIntel Core i7
VideoGTX 1080
Memory32GB
Storage3GB (for campaign files)

Known Issues
Place - ScopeBugPriority for fix in next patchesComment
1GlobalSometimes Oil UI Warning messages can be played during cinematicsMediumNeed to investigate jass oil script and fix it.
2Chapter Nine: Razing of Tyrs HandEnemy AI doesnt send troops via transports to attack player.Medium
3Chapter Eleven: Quel’ThalasTroll camp AI might work weird. It has to be rewritten to JASS instead of GUI.Medium
4Chapter Ten: StratholmeMounted Gul’dan model has issues with facial animations. Probably need to rework model form scratch.Medium
5Chapter Ten: StratholmeEnemy Naval AI is not attacking playerMediumRequire a lot of effort on investigating AI script and testing.
6GlobalUpon Loading Saved game, the custom wc2 music list is played over like second layer.Medium
7GlobalBuilding and Unit models willbe updated in next pathces (pkb effects)MediumPKB effect were removed cuz it caused a lot of crashes before 1.36.1
8GlobalSome unit animations and models will be fixed and improvedMedium
9Chapter 13: Tomb of SargarasSometimes Rend Visual Aura Effect (BlackRoll and Roll) is not displayed .Medium
10GlobalGul’dan spell “Inferno” - summoned infernal need to be better balanced.Low
11GlobalCho'gall and Ogre-Magi Spell animation sometimes overlap and duplicate.Low
12GlobalFacial Animations are not stable in the maps that have a lot of dialogues.LowThe problem is that faceanim sometimes doesnt work for unknown reasons, and dev need to manually try another faceanim. Change and testing takes a lot of time.
13GlobalItems that need custom models:
  • Mana potion
  • earth elemental summoning token
Low
14GlobalMelee unit can attack enemy unit that is standing on the wall, no matter how big difference in Z axis is.LowMelee Attack in game enginge doesnt take into account Z axis. In order to fix this, the additional pathing blockers has to be palced. Tedious and time consuming work that could delay release for many weeks.
15GlobalSometimes Air units can go through models of high towers.LowThis reuqires tedious rework of pathing blockers in some missions.
16Lost Chapter: DragonqueenThe goblin motor boat damage flames are disappearing when Zuluhed dismounts from it.LowestHard to identify the reason why it happens.
17GlobalCho'gall In-game text transmissions missing line breaks.Lowest
18GlobalFPS drops in some cutscenes that have panorama viewIMPOSSIBLE TO FIXThe team didnt have the knowledge about some limitations, but we wanted to make some beautiful shots.
19GlobalOn the loading screen map can crash because of incorrect texture decompression.
Walkaround - restart the mission.
IMPOSSIBLE TO FIXBlizzard Bug
20GlobalWhen the Peon which carry resourse is switched to another Building Construction set, the resource he carry is lost.IMPOSSIBLE TO FIXThe game engine limitations doesnt allow to fix this bug.
21GlobalUnits that don’t have Facial Animations:
  • Goblin Zeppelin
  • Gangrel
  • Fanatic
  • Twilight Peon
  • Cho'gall
IMPOSSIBLE TO FIXThose units are using soundkits of the beasts and mechanisms, whose sounds were replced in import manager. And they don’t have the needed facefx.

Credits

Click here for full credits list.

"Huge thank you to everyone who supported us, helped us, believed in us.
We hope this campaign was fun to play. Stay tuned for upcoming sequel
Chronicles of the Second War - Rise of the Alliance."
- LoreCraft Designs team

Translation / Dubbing

Changelog

Patch v1.03 29/Jan/2024)

Hotfix v1.02 11/Jan/2024)

Hotfix v1.01 09/Jan/2024)

Previous Version Savegames will not be loadable.
Acts now are visible for the first playthrough for the blocked players if they dont want to start from the begining.

Campaign:

• Chogall cinematic walk fix by Fugrim
  • Deathwing Pre-Wow remodeling by Handclaw (model) and Symphoneum (animations) + fixes by VictorZ (animations)
  • Goblin Zeppelin Portait floppy mouth animation fix by Malmgrev
  • Death Knight Death Coil Ability Drain Effect changed to Red Life Drain
  • Death Knight Armor type changed to Small
  • Death Knight HP increased from 400 to 600
  • Human Mage Armor type changed to Small
  • Human Mage HP increased from 400 to 600
  • Dragon armor increased from 0 to 2
  • Gryphon Rider Armor increased from 0 to 2
  • Goblin rockets item damage doubled
Mission 06S:
  • Fixed Alextrasza landing bug in Lost Chapter I: Dragonqueen
  • Decreased the amount of souls to charge the Dragonsoul from 5 to 3
Mission 10:
  • Teron Gorefiend superunit armor type changed to Small and life increased to 1000
Mission 4:
  • Naval AI upgrade level nerfed to 1 on Hard and training pause increased
Mission 5:
  • Naval AI upgrade level nerfed to 1 on Hard and training pause increased
Mission 7:
  • Removed second ballista from Stromgarde Attack Wave on Hard and Normal

Acts now are visible for the first playthrough for the blocked players if they dont want to start from the begining.

Campaign:

• Zeppelin price increased from 500 to 1000 gold
  • Zeppelin build time increased from 20 to 61
  • Zeppelin food cost increased from 1 to 4
  • Pillage rate nerfed
Mission 09:
  • Hold the line defeat condition changed to be more reliable
  • Autokiling zeppelins that reach cinematic area of Tyrs Hand
Mission 11S:
  • Decreased bounty for killing units

Mission 01:

• Creeps nerfed
  • Fixed bug with signal fire completion after failing
Mission 02:
  • Creeps nerfed
  • Fixed sasquatch flying above the cave
Mission 03
  • Naval AI nerfed
  • Creeps nerfed
Mission 04:
  • Creeps nerfed
  • Fixed skin for Gilneas Battleship
  • Nerfed naval AI difficulty
  • Placed the fountain of health in the camp
Mission 5:
  • Extended beach for building naval buildings in north part
  • Creeps nerfed
  • Changed drop for jungle monster
  • Naval AI difficulty nerfed
  • Turned off Rain for better performance
Mission 6S:
  • Fix Alextrasza stuck when she goes back
  • Creeps nerfed
Mission 7:
  • Creeps nerfed
Mission 8:
  • Creeps nerfed
Misison 8S:
  • Creeps nerfed
Mission09:
  • Fixed instant defeat on the last quest Hold the Line
  • Creeps nerfed
  • Archmage is invulnerable now till he starts freezing the lake
Mission 10:
  • Reworked logic of Death Knight Cinematic launch (now no need to wait till all player units are killed near the cathdral)
  • Creeps nerfed
Mission 12:
  • Fixed Chogall running away in bossfight phase 2 and 3
  • Fixed Rend disappeared from cache (need to be tested starting form mission 9)
Previews
Contents

CSW campaign Tides of Darkness (Campaign)

Reviews
Archian
We are thrilled to share some news with all of you about Chronicles of the Second War: Tides of Darkness, we are happy to announce that it has been officially granted a prestigious Director's Cut rating! This recognition is a testament to the...

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Made an account just to post that this mod no longer works, after following instructions and even using Quenching it just crashes smh.
It's probably because of the latest patch bugs. Please refrain from rating without actually playing first.
Also, try informing yourself first, like from the posts right above you.

Level 1
Hello there! i am kinda new for W3 and this whole thing around it so my question is that. How can I play the W2 Campaign now? bcs the site says its not playable but there are a lot of videos on youtube people playing this game.. so is there anyway i can play it.. ? i love the warcraft lore and i want to experience it as i play trough of it. sorry if my question is dumb for someone but i dont know shit about this game. i just finished the original blizzard campaigns and thats it. Thank you if for your answear !!

ShadiHD

Hosted Project: W3CSW
Level 31
@Shar Dundred
hey whats the Status of this? Still unplayable, any chance it is going to be finished or is this becoming abandoned?
hello, the project is NOT abandoned, we're heavily active in development and majority of our updates can be found on our platforms such as discord/twitter and Ytube, however with Patch 1.33 it destroyed a lot of custom games and the majority are inaccessible.

Level 1
Can't start this company. The app launches the company via regular Warcraft 3, not via reforget. And this mistake constantly crawls out when in additional companies I press Warcraft 2:
Ошибка.jpg

Level 29
Can't start this company. The app launches the company via regular Warcraft 3, not via reforget. And this mistake constantly crawls out when in additional companies I press Warcraft 2:
View attachment 414098
There are 3 possible reasons:
1.Your campaign installation is corrupted. Solution is re-download the whole campaign file + installer.
2.You are using the outdated Quenching Mod. Download the latest one and make sure you disabled the QM-related features before playing this campaign.
3.Even worse, it might be related to the latest Reforged patch (1.33 and 1.34). If this case is right, then sadly, you can't play this campaign because a lot of custom game functions are broken.
Can you make this playable in WC3 classic?
Make sure you read the "Recommended version" section before downloading the campaign. It's for Reforged, but 1.33 and 1.34 aren't compatible because of known issues (see the author's notice above).

Level 3
Just finished playing the first three and a half missions.

First off, technical issues:

• It is in fact playable in 1.35. The file needs to be downloaded and put into "Documents/Warcraft III/Campaigns" and it will show up just fine in the Custom Campaigns menu
  • Oil is broken. You can gather it and use it for buildings, but you can't build ships with it. I whosyourdaddy'd the second half of chapter III with my single destroyer, but chapter IV is not playable without a transport (which I assume costs oil? I quit after exploring the starting island and checking out the blacksmith.

Secondly, ideas, criticism and so forth:

• Although I really like what you did with them, some cut scenes and especially some sections of them are too long. Some cutting and editing is advised.
  • Have you considered cutting a digit from every resource amount? There is no gameplay difference in workers gathering 100 or 10 golds each time and a grunt costing 400 or 40? The only difference is that repairing is currently very cheap and numbers are unnecessarily large. I know that's in keeping with the "original spirit of the game", but that part of it has always been stupid.
  • Radical idea: scrap the oil system alltogether; just cut that part of WC2 out and replace it with something or nothing and just rebalance the gold and wood costs for naval units. It never made much sense lore-wise anyway.
  • Overall, I like the mod, although I'm trying not to compare it to re-reforged, which I played directly before ... Anyway, I'm looking forward to playing the whole thing in some distant year.

Level 1
I’m curious, does this have heroes or no heroes? warcraft 2 is no heroes which leads to amazing gameplay. warcraft 3 is entirely a different game. so my end question Is this warcraft 3 with wc2 assets or wc2?

I’m curious, does this have heroes or no heroes? warcraft 2 is no heroes which leads to amazing gameplay. warcraft 3 is entirely a different game. so my end question Is this warcraft 3 with wc2 assets or wc2?
Based on playing the game so far, the story is Warcraft II but uses elements of Warcraft III, which is not bad. There are also some things that couldn't be executed due to WE's limitations, like Adv. Structures and whatnot. And when you say 'wc2 assets,' yes... sorta. Well, it remade almost all things you've seen from Warcraft II, but with Warcraft III's--specifically Reforged's--twist in it. Like a way to remaster the game using a different game as engine somewhat. Game being Warcraft II, and engine meaning using Warcraft III as a baseline.

Level 2
Works well for me on 1.36 as a custom campaign. Just drag and drop in campaigns folder and this amazing demo functions. I've played through it multiple times and I can't wait for more

Level 1
is this mod working ? some are saying its working, other that its not.
additionally at the beginning of comments (2020) its mentioned that only mission 1-4 are playable but afterwards there is no mention. does the mod cover whole w2 campaign or is it still 4 missions ?

I downloaded maps, launcher, cws is loaded, W3 opens with login screen but wont work either via offline mode neither logging ( I get error whilst loggin and my credentials are 100% correct). whole game is now broken !!! I cant open w3 at all, it is crashing. I removed your launcher and still crashing.

please help

Last edited:

Ardenaso

HD Model Reviewer
Level 33
is this mod working ? some are saying its working, other that its not.
additionally at the beginning of comments (2020) its mentioned that only mission 1-4 are playable but afterwards there is no mention. does the mod cover whole w2 campaign or is it still 4 missions ?

I downloaded maps, launcher, cws is loaded, W3 opens with login screen but wont work either via offline mode neither logging ( I get error whilst loggin and my credentials are 100% correct). whole game is now broken !!! I cant open w3 at all, it is crashing. I removed your launcher and still crashing.

please help
1688304124132.png

Level 1
yea thats why I asked if it is still alive... last update is feb 2023 and its down. so... its down since feb 2023 or is this just recent thing ?

Level 4
So this project is still being worked on then? If so, I'm eternally grateful to hear it. I've seen some pretty great custom campaigns so far, but regrettably, most of them haven't been very reforged-friendly. (Not that it's any fault on the creators' parts, of course.)

Level 29
So this project is still being worked on then? If so, I'm eternally grateful to hear it. I've seen some pretty great custom campaigns so far, but regrettably, most of them haven't been very reforged-friendly. (Not that it's any fault on the creators' parts, of course.)
Idk about this project (last month is the last quotes for this thread), but currently, you can't play this campaign right now until the author had made a decision for the final release of this campaign.

Level 4
Idk about this project (last month is the last quotes for this thread), but currently, you can't play this campaign right now until the author had made a decision for the final release of this campaign.
Eh, I'm not bothered so much by not being able to play the beta. I can totally wait for the full release.

At any rate, I did come across their youtube channel, with some pretty recent updates.

Level 28
All I can say is, it's a massive project, easily twice the size of regular campaigns, if not bigger, and that does not even include the crazy amount of custom assets and work done for cinematics and terrain.
I am not going to mention a release window, but I can give a bit of insight into my tasks: I joined the team 9 weeks ago and I am now done 2/3 with my tasks. Those include:
  • Re-structure triggers/variables
  • Identify and remove leaks in triggers
  • Fix buggy AI/attack waves
  • Balance Easy difficulty
  • Polish quest messages
  • Polish cinematic fade outs/ins
  • Provide feedback on gameplay and cinematics

Last edited:
Level 2
Absolutely perfect trailers. I can't wait to play keep it up! This is definitely going to be my favourite campaign in WC history.

Level 5
All I can say is, it's a massive project, easily twice the size of regular campaigns, if not bigger, and that does not even include the crazy amount of custom assets and work done for cinematics and terrain.
I am not going to mention a release window, but I can give a bit of insight into my tasks: I joined the team 9 weeks ago and I am now done 2/3 with my tasks. Those include:
  • Re-structure triggers/variables
  • Identify and remove leaks in triggers
  • Fix buggy AI/attack waves
  • Balance Easy difficulty
  • Polish quest messages
  • Polish cinematic fade outs/ins
  • Provide feedback on gameplay and cinematics
They've got you as part of the team in this project? Well then, this promises to be fun!

Level 4
Did... I do something wrong? I've installed this game and when I play it, the orc models all appear untextured. Except Gul'dan, he's fine. But all the other orcs just have the red parts of their armor showing correctly.

Edit: Okay, I've downloaded the asset installer and pack, but when I open the installer, it doesn't have the "load resource" button. It just has "load CSW", "start game", and "delete CSW". And when I click the first, it only accepts .w3n files. (Selecting the campaign file appeared to do the trick, but it just made the game crash when I tried to run it, until I deleted.)

Did... I do something wrong? I've installed this game and when I play it, the orc models all appear untextured. Except Gul'dan, he's fine. But all the other orcs just have the red parts of their armor showing correctly.

Edit: Okay, I've downloaded the asset installer and pack, but when I open the installer, it doesn't have the "load resource" button. It just has "load CSW", "start game", and "delete CSW". And when I click the first, it only accepts .w3n files. (Selecting the campaign file appeared to do the trick, but it just made the game crash when I tried to run it, until I deleted.)

Fixed

Level 21
Cannot download the asset pack:
"Too many users have viewed or downloaded this file recently. Please try accessing the file again later. If the file you are trying to access is particularly large or is shared with many people, it may take up to 24 hours to be able to view or download the file. If you still can't access a file after 24 hours, contact your domain administrator."

Same for the campaign through the google drive link.

Asset Installer did download though.

I'm fine with waiting 1 hour for the campaign to download through hive, but from what I gather, I won't be able to play this without the asset pack.