• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. đź”—Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

📢Warcraft: Chronicles of the Second War - AVAILABLE NOW!

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
nowplayable-png.457868

Warcraft: Chronicles of the Second War - A Fan-Made Triumph

In the world of gaming, passion knows no bounds. A testament to this truth is the fan-made project that has set the Warcraft community ablaze with excitement - Warcraft: Chronicles of the Second War. Crafted by a group of dedicated Warcraft fans of the Hive Workshop community, this ambitious endeavor promises to breathe new life into the iconic narrative of Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness. In this article, we explore the origins, features, release date, and the future of this labor of love by the Warcraft community.

The Origins of Chronicles of the Second War:

Chronicles of the Second War is the brainchild of a group of passionate Warcraft fans who, enamored by the rich lore and gameplay of Warcraft II, took it upon themselves to revive and enhance this classic gaming experience in Warcraft III: Reforged graphics. Operating independently from Blizzard, this community-driven project showcases the power of the Warcraft community and the desire to see a beloved franchise thrive even outside the official channels.

Official Launch Trailer:

For a sneak peek into the immersive world awaiting you, don't miss the official launch trailers, set to unveil the epic visuals, engaging storylines, and the passion poured into this fan-made triumph. Get ready to embark on a journey that transcends nostalgia and ushers in a new era for the Warcraft community. The adventure awaits, and the trailer is your ticket to the Tides of Darkness.

Features that Define the Project:

1. Faithful Remastering: Chronicles of the Second War endeavors to stay true to the roots of Warcraft II while bringing the game into the modern era. The project includes a faithful remastering of the original graphics, ensuring that the essence of the Second War is preserved while benefiting from contemporary technology.

2. Expansive Storytelling: Building upon the foundation laid by Warcraft II, the fan-made project introduces expanded storytelling, adding depth to characters and narratives. By incorporating additional lore and cinematics, Chronicles of the Second War aims to provide fans with a fresh perspective on the events that unfolded during this pivotal moment in Azeroth's history.

3. Community Collaboration: What sets this project apart is the collaboration with the Warcraft community. From beta testing to voice acting, the fans have played an integral role in shaping the direction of Chronicles of the Second War. This collaborative approach ensures that the project resonates with the expectations and desires of the dedicated player base.

4. Visually Breathtaking Terrain: Adding to the allure of Chronicles of the Second War is the beautifully created terrain. Every landscape, from lush forests to foreboding deserts, has been crafted with precision and care. The attention to detail in the terrain design enhances the immersive quality of the game, making each mission a visually stunning journey through the diverse landscapes of Azeroth.

5. Talented 3D Model Artists: Central to the visual splendor of Chronicles of the Second War are the talented 3D model artists who have dedicated countless hours to bring the characters, buildings, and environments to life. Their skill and passion shine through in the intricately designed units, capturing the essence of the Warcraft universe in stunning detail. These artists have not only remastered the classic models but also introduced new ones, adding an extra layer of depth and authenticity to the fan-made project.

Release Date and Community Anticipation:

As the clock ticks down, the release date for Warcraft: Chronicles of the Second War is set for January 5th, 2024. The development team, comprised of devoted fans, has meticulously worked to create an experience that not only pays homage to the original but also introduces new elements that enhance the overall gameplay.

The anticipation surrounding the release is palpable, with fans eager to embark on a nostalgic journey through Azeroth's history. The community support has been overwhelming, showcasing the collective dedication to keeping the spirit of Warcraft alive and thriving beyond the official confines of the gaming industry.

csw_june_1-jpg.457870

Campaign Features:

The Chronicles of the Second War campaign promises an extensive and immersive experience, featuring 17 Orc missions that delve into the lore and characters of the original game. Players can explore side quests that add layers of depth to the narrative, providing insights into the rich history of Azeroth. Custom voice lines, meticulously crafted cinematics, and new unit models contribute to the overall enhancement of the gaming experience.

csw_june_2-jpg.457871

The Long Journey and Challenges Overcome:

The road to Warcraft: Chronicles of the Second War has been marked by a long and challenging journey. The dedicated fan developers faced numerous obstacles, particularly dealing with issues caused by Warcraft 3 patch updates. Adapting to changes in the underlying game engine and addressing compatibility issues required painstaking effort. However, the team's resilience and commitment to delivering a polished product have seen them triumph over these challenges, ensuring that the community will soon have a faithful and enhanced Warcraft II experience to enjoy.

csw_june_3-jpg.457872

Future Plans for Chronicles of the Second War

As the release of Warcraft: Chronicles of the Second War draws near, the dedicated fan developers are already looking ahead to the future of the project. After three and a half years of arduous development, the team recognizes the need for a well-deserved breather. However, the commitment to delivering engaging content remains unwavering, and the developers have devised an innovative plan to ensure a steady flow of new material.

Post-Release Human Campaign:

Following the initial release, the Human Campaign, titled "Rise of the Alliance," is set to unfold. However, in a strategic move to balance the need for a respite with the desire for continuous content delivery, the team has decided to release the campaign in a serialized format. Instead of waiting for the completion of the full campaign, the developers will release individual Acts at regular intervals. This approach not only ensures a faster delivery of content but also facilitates easier development.

The Human Campaign: Rise of the Alliance will be divided into four Acts, each unveiling a segment of the narrative. Once all Acts are released, the team plans to compile them into a comprehensive campaign, maintaining the cohesiveness and immersive storytelling that Chronicles of the Second War is known for.

csw_june_4-jpg.457873

Expansion Packs and Further Campaigns:

In addition to the Human Campaign, the developers have ambitious plans for expansion packs, providing players with more opportunities to explore the rich lore of Azeroth. The Orc Campaign, titled "Horde of Draenor," will serve as the first expansion pack, offering a fresh perspective on the Horde's struggles in Draenor.

Following that, the Human Campaign will continue with "Beyond the Dark Portal" as the second expansion pack. These expansions promise to introduce new challenges, characters, and storylines, expanding the Warcraft universe and delivering an enriched gaming experience.

csw_june_5-jpg.457874

Warcraft: Chains of Conquest:

The grand finale on the roadmap for Chronicles of the Second War is "Warcraft: Chains of Conquest." This ambitious project will retell the tale of the First War, starting from the "Rise of the Horde" and the Draenei genocide, all the way to the destruction of Stormwind. The development of Warcraft: Chains of Conquest will also follow the "Acts" format, ensuring a consistent release schedule and faster content delivery.

In summary, the future of Chronicles of the Second War is brimming with exciting plans. The team's commitment to delivering quality content is evident in their innovative approach to campaign releases and the promise of expansion packs. With each Act, players can expect to be drawn deeper into the intricate tapestry of Azeroth's history, ensuring that the fan-made triumph continues to captivate and inspire the Warcraft community for years to come.

Downloadable assets!

In a gesture of generosity and a commitment to community engagement, the Chronicles of the Second War development team has announced that all unit models, sounds, and various assets created during the project will be made available for download here on the Hive Workshop. This move is aimed at not only showcasing the team's dedication to fostering creativity within the Warcraft community but also providing aspiring modders and enthusiasts with the tools to explore and expand upon the meticulously crafted content.

Already setting the stage for this collaboration, some of the Dwarven, Orc and Human models from Chronicles of the Second War are currently accessible for download on Hive Workshop's HD Model Section. These intricately designed assets, ranging from units to buildings, showcase the level of detail and dedication invested in the project. As the fan-made triumph gains momentum, players and modders alike can anticipate a treasure trove of resources becoming available on Hive Workshop, enabling them to weave their own tales within the expansive canvas of Azeroth.

Conclusion:

Warcraft: Chronicles of the Second War stands as a testament to the enduring love and creativity within the gaming community. Crafted by fans, for fans, this project represents a unique collaboration that transcends traditional boundaries. As the release date of January 5th, 2024, approaches, the excitement among Warcraft enthusiasts continues to build, underscoring the profound impact that dedicated fans can have on the legacy of a beloved gaming franchise. Get ready to relive the Second War and witness the magic that can happen when passionate fans take the reins.

AVAILABLE HERE:

tidesofdarknessposterpromo-jpg.457869

Last edited:
Level 1
HELLO AND I HAVE TROUBLES WITH WARCRAFT 3 REFORGED CUSTOM CAMPAIGN BECAUSE I HAVE TROUBLES WITH ALMOST ALL FORCES HAS WHITE COLOR AND ALL MAIN BUILDINGS SUCH AS ORC STRONGHOLD WAR MILL GOLD MINE OR FOR EXAMPLE ORC BURROWS ETC. IS FULLY MISSING AND CANNOT HELP ME IF I BUILD OTHER ORC BUILDINGS SO I CANNOT SEE THEM BECAUSE THEY ARE FULLY INVISIBLE AND MISSING WHAT IS REALLY STRANGE AND MAYBE OTHER OBJECTS SUCH AS ENVIROMENTS (TREES AND LANDS OR SOME NPC ETC.) ARE ALSO ALWAYS MISSING AND ARE ALSO FULLY INVISIBLE AND PLEASE HELP ME BECAUSE OTHERWISE THIS CUSTOM CAMPAIGN SHOULD BE REALLY AMAZING WHEN I WOULD HAVE NOT THOSE VERY STRANGE AND SPECIAL TROUBLES WITH GRAPHICS IN THIS GOOD CUSTOM CAMPAIGN WARCRAFT CHRONICLES OF THE SECOND WAR ?! AND BEFOREHAND THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP AND BEFOREHAND I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR ADVICES AND HELP MY GOOD FRIENDS ?! AND WITH GREETINGS YOUR BIG CZECH FAN AND FRIEND TOMAS ALIAS DOKTORXP ?! -))

Rommel

Hosted Project: HoS
Level 19
I'll be writing a detailed review of it sometime soon, but for now, I can only say that I nearly wept with joy at the Zul'jin rescue mission. A return to my 1995 with Warcraft II's "whoa" effect compared to darker and more simplistic Warcraft I, snowscape, trolls, seas, whoa!

That's a masterpiece. Gratz to the team on finally releasing it!

Level 16
HELLO AND I HAVE TROUBLES WITH WARCRAFT 3 REFORGED CUSTOM CAMPAIGN BECAUSE I HAVE TROUBLES WITH ALMOST ALL FORCES HAS WHITE COLOR AND ALL MAIN BUILDINGS SUCH AS ORC STRONGHOLD WAR MILL GOLD MINE OR FOR EXAMPLE ORC BURROWS ETC. IS FULLY MISSING AND CANNOT HELP ME IF I BUILD OTHER ORC BUILDINGS SO I CANNOT SEE THEM BECAUSE THEY ARE FULLY INVISIBLE AND MISSING WHAT IS REALLY STRANGE AND MAYBE OTHER OBJECTS SUCH AS ENVIROMENTS (TREES AND LANDS OR SOME NPC ETC.) ARE ALSO ALWAYS MISSING AND ARE ALSO FULLY INVISIBLE AND PLEASE HELP ME BECAUSE OTHERWISE THIS CUSTOM CAMPAIGN SHOULD BE REALLY AMAZING WHEN I WOULD HAVE NOT THOSE VERY STRANGE AND SPECIAL TROUBLES WITH GRAPHICS IN THIS GOOD CUSTOM CAMPAIGN WARCRAFT CHRONICLES OF THE SECOND WAR ?! AND BEFOREHAND THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP AND BEFOREHAND I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR ADVICES AND HELP MY GOOD FRIENDS ?! AND WITH GREETINGS YOUR BIG CZECH FAN AND FRIEND TOMAS ALIAS DOKTORXP ?! -))
Did you follow all the installation guide's steps?
Go here if you're still having issues.

Level 2
Followed all, no other issues from what I can tell, and tried saving in the normal campaign with no issue. Error "F0034F14-D222-47CB-B64D-46CA6A960671" when it happened

Level 1
Hello.
Great job with the campaign. Very high quality overall and in depth lore. Unfortunatly i am currently stuck on chapter 12 "The lost isles" It seems there is a bug with the boss battle with Cho'Gall. In the second phase for some reason he wants to run out of the arena you are fighting him in and into the fog of war. After several retries i havent been able to solve this issue in game. A bit frustrating when i really want to progress further into the campaign, but overall the experience have been a blast so far!

Level 1
Hello.
Great job with the campaign. Very high quality overall and in depth lore. Unfortunatly i am currently stuck on chapter 12 "The lost isles" It seems there is a bug with the boss battle with Cho'Gall. In the second phase for some reason he wants to run out of the arena you are fighting him in and into the fog of war. After several retries i havent been able to solve this issue in game. A bit frustrating when i really want to progress further into the campaign, but overall the experience have been a blast so far!
From the Dialog it also sounds like i should be able to both play with Rend and Maim, but i only have control of Maim in the fight.

Level 2
What an amazing job!
Big maps!, a lot of text and discussions, very good effort on voice (almost proffesional! amazing!) , detailed maps!! I am so happy you put so much effort on every map, with secrets around, i was surprised to see that hero jumping as wolf to reach areas not possible to go! i am so hyped i want to change that talent in my shaman in wow lol. Very good work and ok you need some tiny bug fixes but you will get there! if you ever put a support page with free beers for you, $, or anything please metion it, You totally deserve it!!!

Level 16
From the Dialog it also sounds like i should be able to both play with Rend and Maim, but i only have control of Maim in the fight.
Some missions you have Rend, some you have Maim...you get a whole slew of heroes to control in the campaign.

What an amazing job!
Big maps!, a lot of text and discussions, very good effort on voice (almost proffesional! amazing!) , detailed maps!! I am so happy you put so much effort on every map, with secrets around, i was surprised to see that hero jumping as wolf to reach areas not possible to go! i am so hyped i want to change that talent in my shaman in wow lol. Very good work and ok you need some tiny bug fixes but you will get there! if you ever put a support page with free beers for you, $, or anything please metion it, You totally deserve it!!!
Since you mention it, they do have a Patreon, can find a link on this page:

Level 2
I created an account here just to say how pleased and grateful I am with the work you folks have done. I'd love to donate directly to this project as a thank you. Can anyone advise the best way to do that? The subscriptions on the site only seem to be for a monthly reoccurring.

Level 2
I am getting these visual bugs now too. I did a reinstall to try to fix the saving feature and now this problem is occuring as well and save still doesnt work.

Level 2
Loving the game.

On Razing of Tyr's hand I've got a bug though: I killed the mage and razed the structures, the cinematic played and then I insta-lost.

Unsure if it's related but I also couldn't figure out how to collapse/melt the ice to the tunnel to free the ogre magi. I tried attacking it with flaming catapults attacking ground but no luck.

So now I'm hard-stuck on Tyr's hand despite basically beating it. I got to the base, built my navy and army, navy took down the convoys and the shipyards etc, army explored the island and found the bloodvine, wasn't able to get the ogre magi though, then after the bay froze I marched my army over and killed the mage and the surrounding buildings. Then the cinematic played, but I lost after. Any idea how to fix?

Last edited:
Level 16
Loving the game.

On Razing of Tyr's hand I've got a bug though: I killed the mage and razed the structures, the cinematic played and then I insta-lost.

Unsure if it's related but I also couldn't figure out how to collapse/melt the ice to the tunnel to free the ogre magi. I tried attacking it with flaming catapults attacking ground but no luck.

So now I'm hard-stuck on Tyr's hand despite basically beating it. I got to the base, built my navy and army, navy took down the convoys and the shipyards etc, army explored the island and found the bloodvine, wasn't able to get the ogre magi though, then after the bay froze I marched my army over and killed the mage and the surrounding buildings. Then the cinematic played, but I lost after. Any idea how to fix?
They've uploaded a patched version.

Full version of the patch notes in the Discord server:
-- Change log --
Saved games will not be loadable. Acts now are visible for the first playthrough for the blocked players who don't want to start form beginning.

Mission09:
Fixed instant defeat on the last quest Hold the Line
Creeps nerfed
Archmage is invulnerable now till he starts freezing the lake

Link to Campaign file (no need to install assets this time, just grab campaign file)

Level 2
I am getting these visual bugs now too. I did a reinstall to try to fix the saving feature and now this problem is occuring as well and save still doesnt work.
I did a full uninstall and reinstall and still getting the visual bugs. I can save now though.

Last edited:
Level 16
I did a full uninstall and reinstall and still getting the visual bugs.
Try asking for help here:
Or in the Discord server.

kov

kov

Level 2
How to progress chapter 10 Stratholme ? I found gold mine and nothing happened, no workers to build great hall

Level 26
After I thinked about it several days now, I'm gonna share one thing that I discovered in OutsiderXE walktrough.
In this Campaign, there is no packhorses: only packdonkeys. Donkeys and Horses are different animals, yet have similiar needs tho'. In the dialogs between humans (Assault on Hillsbrad), they clearly mentioning Packhorses.

Also: Treat the donkeys well. I've seen several died in "Hinterland's Ploy".

Level 16
After I thinked about it several days now, I'm gonna share one thing that I discovered in OutsiderXE walktrough.
In this Campaign, there is no packhorses: only packdonkeys. Donkeys and Horses are different animals, yet have similiar needs tho'. In the dialogs between humans (Assault on Hillsbrad), they clearly mentioning Packhorses.

Also: Treat the donkeys well. I've seen several died in "Hinterland's Ploy".
I imagine this is probably because the unit retained the name "packhorse" in the World Editor even after LemonSky inexplicably made the new model for Reforged a donkey/mule, whereas the classic graphics packhorse is clearly a horse.

Level 1
I did everything according to the instructions and when I ran the game I could hear only the sounds of the menu but the game was not visible, I still can see my Windows desktop... Now the game is not playable. I tried to uninstall CSW by your installer (always ran the installer as an admin) but it didn't work either. I guess I will have to reinstall the whole game.

Level 2
Created an account to just to say, this game is amazing! Just beat it. Loved every bit of story telling, the levels, technical details, all of it!!!! I just wanted to know, is there a human campaign or is it just the Orc Campaign for now ?
Thanks!!!

Level 2
Amazing work. This campaign offers a good mix of scenario types with ton of custom art and voiceacting.

I would have appreciated more opportunities to do coop gameplay with allied AI factions without always taking control of their units.

Solid work, thanks for this gift to the wc3 community!

Level 3
Just tried doing chapter 12 and only have Maim, Rend isn't starting and doesn't appear - likewise on the boss fight its just Maim which makes it super difficult, can't get past the third stage with just him. Also took 8 go's to get past the second stage of Cho'gall as he kept wandering off floating across the boulders. I'll try to reinstall and see if I just got unlucky. Any advice appreciated

P.S. insane mod, this is fantastic kudos to the team!

Level 1
Hello,when I install the pack with steps described I saw white skinned models.

And from what I see only Orc campaign exists,right? What about human campaign?

Level 1
Сompleted this campaign on release but did not see some missions and cut scenes from YouTube. For example, the Deathwing mission. Were they added in later patches or did they need to be unlocked somehow?

Level 16
Сompleted this campaign on release but did not see some missions and cut scenes from YouTube. For example, the Deathwing mission. Were they added in later patches or did they need to be unlocked somehow?
Need to gather secrets in order to unlock the secret missions.
Join the CSW Discord for all the spoilers :thumbs_up:

Level 2
Unfortunately all model not have textures(

Attachments

• text 2.jpg
    text 2.jpg
    511.8 KB · Views: 20
  • text 1.jpg
    text 1.jpg
    610.1 KB · Views: 20
Level 16
Unfortunately all model not have textures(