• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Chasing the Dawn

This bundle is marked as high quality. It exceeds standards and is highly desirable.
143048-albums8336-picture100183.jpg

The voice whispered: "Come to me."

Considering that I have never seen a Scarlet Crusade campaign done before (at least not a finished one), I thought I might give it a shot, give back something to this community I've been a part of longer than I like to think about. I have done my best to keep the campaign as canon as possible, but as it turns out keeping it completely canon makes for a rather boring campaign, so I have taken some liberties, mostly regarding locations. The narration you will hear in the campaign comes straight from Abbendis's diary in World of Warcraft... almost.

(For anyone who's interested: The Diary of High General Abbendis)

Again, I have had to make some changes, especially early on, to condense some of the more boring parts and to expand its scope in some areas so I could make more missions out of it (originally, I would only have been able to make two or three missions in Lordaeron; the plan is five at the moment). I am aware that the file will probably be enormous, and once everything's finalized, I will try to create a lighter version for those of you who do not want to deal with this campaign's monstrous size, but for now it's better for me to work in the full version.

My screenshots are all outdated at the moment. Once I have time to do a full playthrough where I'm not starting and stopping to troubleshoot I will post a set. In the meantime, the old screenshots can be found on the Chasing the Dawn campaign thread, and I have videos in Related Media that show some aspects of gameplay.

Latest Patch: 1.04 (Patch notes found on this document)
Chasing the Dawn Patch Notes

143048-albums8336-picture100406.jpg

Story
The kingdom of Lordaeron is in ruins. The Undead Scourge, with the former Prince Arthas at its head, has slaughtered every man, woman,
and child in their path on their quest for domination, and now the Forsaken, Sylvanas Windrunner's pet army, have risen out of the ashes
of the Tirisfal Glades. The plague has corrupted even the mightiest of heroes, the most noble of souls; death is everywhere. But one
small bastion of hope remains: the Scarlet Crusade. Considered fanatics by most, the Crusade has devoted itself to cleansing the wretched
undead from their homeland and restoring Lordaeron to its former glory. General Brigitte Abbendis, one of the Crusade's most fervent
paladins, has long lead the elite Crimson Legion at the forefront of this battle, but the Holy Light has begun to whisper to her in her
dreams, calling her north to confront the Lich King himself. So as the shadow of the Scourge once again falls over Lordaeron, Abbendis
must ready herself to leave everything she has known behind, to lead the most faithful to their true destiny and to chase the dawn deep
into the icy heart of Northrend...

143048-albums8336-picture100409.jpg

Features
Full (partially) canon storyline
Three unique, original techtrees - Scarlet Crusade, Forsaken, and Vrykul
Updated Alliance, Horde, and Scourge techtrees
Fully voice-acted
Unique unit/ability customization
• Retains progress through updates (not sure if this is a pet peeve for anyone else in campaigns)

143048-albums8336-picture100407.jpg

Credits
Elf_Lord: Creator

Nowow: AI Developer/Consultation

Original Voice Acting (in order of appearance):
Katrien Van Riel: Brigitte Abbendis
Elf_Lord: Dreadguard - Scarlet Courier - Herod
Ethan Guthrie: Renault Mograine - Galvar Pureblood
Alex Riggs: Sally Whitemane - Velonara
Rene Gonzalez: Valroth
Jakob Walsh: Landgren
Meredith Denney: Areiel

Graphics and Music:
Blizzard Entertainment: Music/Sound Effects (WoW) - Region Maps (WoW) - Ability Icons (WoW) - Beta Lumbermill,
War-Golum: Blightwalker Aura,
Kitabatake: Mansion Walls & Gate - Ballista (Scorpion),
Korija2029: Black Garden (Wraithforge),
Sellenisko: Draenei Huntress (Exarch) - Val'kyr - Undead Vrykul (Vargul) - Dragon's Reach - Vrykul House - Vrykul Units,
67chrome: Lieutenant Commander (Paladin) - Draenei Huntress (Exarch) - Sylvanas Windrunner - Scarlet Crusader (Soldier/Huntsman) - Returned - Thrust,
skrab: Joan of Arc (Abbendis Portrait),
Blood Raven: Liberator Sword, Scarlet Archbishop (Street), Scarlet Crusader (Jordan)
Sunchips: Lordaeron Crest Shield,
Gottfrei: Plague Doctor (Apothecary),
Ujimasa Hojo: Forsaken Footman (Baelric) - Ujimasa Hojo: Forsaken Structures - Forsaken Peasant,
Mr.Goblin: Poison Potion - Lordaeron Crest Floor/Stairs,
Champara Bros: Judgment - Divine Storm - Penance - Dark Execution,
MassiveMaster: Stable,
skrab: Barracks (Armory) - Garrison (Garrison),
Mike: Chapel (Consecrated Chapel) - Siege Workshop (War Mill) - Pier - Scorpion Ballista,
CloudWolf: Gilneas structures - Sir Valiant (Barean) - Scarlet Crusader (Myrmidon/Ranger) - Alliance/Horde Banners - Sylvanas (Ymirjar Hunter),
Graber: Depot (Storehouse),
Ket: WCII Church (Chapel),
JetFangInferno: Holy Aurora (Consecration) - Black Cloud (Transcendence) - Light Strike Array (Final Vindication) - Soul Armor,
takakenji: Team Color Cathedral (Library) - Ogre Arena (Battle Pit),
Caged_Angelic: Abbendis Art,
Gabriel: Whitemane Art,
Tranquil: Holy Smite - Window & Window Rays, Royal Captain (Jordan)
paladinjst: Silverhand Paladin (Galvar),
Direfury: Arcanist Hero (Whitemane), Death Knight (Thassarian), Proudmoore (Shely)
JesusHipster: Divine Barrier,
ILH: Holy Awakening (Resurrection),
Direfury: Blood Mage (Inquisitor) - Court Mage,
Mephestrial: Mounted Swordsman (Cavalryman) - Gnoll Elemental Grove (Altar of Runes),
Hayate: Gryphon Knight (Wind Lancer),
Nichita_00: Peasant (Stonemason),
Wandering Soul: Crossbow Footman (Ranger),
AhhFreshWeeD: Black Legion Priest (Raven Priest),
Justicebringer: Holy Paladin,
GooS: Armor Upgrades (Crusade),
Elenai: Sword Upgrades (Crusade),
CRAZYRUSSIAN: Black Book (Raven Priest Training) - Red Book - Hand Break - CRPaladin - Apothecary Icon,
lelyanra: Defensive - Fly Claw,
Big Dub: Eyes (Shadowform),
Ginufe: Fire Destruction,
PeeKay: Fire-Horned Helmet (Herod's Helm) - Holy Fist - Holy Regeneration - Inner Fire - Pray - Sphere of Divine - Wing Protection - Abyss Knight (Koltira Deathweaver),
4eNNightmare: Fire Sorrow,
Dalharukn: Heal Cannon,
CreatorD3292: Holy,
cyprigen: Orc Sorcerer,
zbc: Holy Maul,
The_Silent: Howl of Terror,
JollyD: Lion Shield of Courage,
stonneash: Necropedia,
Heinvers: Power Fist,
KelThuzad: Shackle - Cold of the Damned (Dread),
NFWar: Warrior's Blessing,
l0w_kwaliti: Lich King,
Hawkwing: Darion,
MatiS: Nerubian Vizier,
Sin'dorei300: Dragonmaw Banner - Dark Soldier - Crusader Icon - Val'kyr Icon - Ragnar Icon,
xXm0RpH3usXx: Church and Library Doodad Pack,
LordT: Footman Corpse,
MassiveMaster: Fortification Walls,
dansaDisco: Undead Banner,
-=Emergenzy=-: Campaign Walls,
SkriK: Lordaeron Signet,
Ampharos_222: Assailant Spire (Proto-Drake Spire),
Freddyk: Dark Soldier,
TheReaper: Undead Footman,
AndrewOverload519: Forsaken Archer,
Cavman: Dreadguard - Skeletal Peasant,
Edge45: Forsaken Catapult,
Rao Dao Zao: Tosc (Plague Beast),
AnemicRoyalty: Tosc (Plague Beast) - Grand Apothecary,
UgoUgo: Toxic Field,
Tirlititi: Soul Basin,
Power: Dark Harvest,
Marcos DAB: Critical Strike,
Apheraz Lucent: Knight of the Ebon Blade (Darion),
chilla_killa: Argent Banner,
I3lackDeath: Frostmourne,
Stefan.K: Tirion Fordring - Rodrick
~Nightmare: Stop (Aura),
Kuhneghetz: Death Knight on Foot (Koltira Deathweaver) - Barbarian,
JollyD: Horror Soul (Whisper),
Godslayer: Alternate Sacrifice,
Hans Zimmer: Hold the Ice (The Fall of New Avalon),
-Grendel: Diseased One (Sapper),
Fuzzyfury: Geist,
Paladon: Jump Spell,
Tauer: Blackhand, Anduin Lothar
BLazeKraze: Blackhand Icon - Sylvanas Icon (Alt),
PROXY: Crusader,
kangyun: Priestess of the Moon (Lynore) - Phantom Blade, Saidan Dathrohan (Mograine),
zbc: Stoned Ring, Shield Bash
Deathclaw24: Arrow Storm,
ikillforeyou: War Zeppelin,
Daenar7: Runic Skins,
skymarshall: Goblin Tower,
Mephestrial: Gilneas Gunship,
WILL THE ALMIGHTY: Ground Explosion
xXm0RpH3usXx: Pavement
Illidan(Evil)X: Replaceable Banner
Really Slow Motion: Scarlet Victory Theme
Peacegetter: Argent Footman
Dmitry Rommel, Xaran Alamas, Defender of the Crown (Abbendis)
Mr.Goblin: Juggernaught
HerrDave: Questioner (LeCraft) - Man of God (Landgren)
Serbianbeast: Wooden Elevator
L_Lawliet: Dungeon Cliff
LongbowMan/Blizzard: Chapel Banner
stein123/HoS: Scarlet Ram - Scourge Necromancer

This list is still incomplete, as I am only a third of the way through the campaign (though I have tried to anticipate). If I forgot to mention someone (which I may have, since several of my models I borrowed from an earlier project), please let me know and I will update the list.

Previews
Contents

Chasing the Dawn (Campaign)

Reviews
Rufus
Approved. Awesome voice acting, awesome opening cinematic. A well made continuation of the original wc3 campaigns. If you want a more elaborated review, try joining the Grand Review Exchange.

Kasrkin

Hosted Project: LoA
Level 26
Chasing the Dawn

Ch.1
-Outro Dialogue for Sally Whitemane overlaps
-Units meant to ambush in the plaguelands only attack units directly attacking them, meaning I can have Abbendis attack one unit at a time in a group of four without worry.

Ch.3
-Debug script at start?
-No option to mount Cavailer
-Random Spirit Tower in South-Western corner, this may cause confusion as everything else is usually dead before this.
-There is a lot of dialogue overlapping in the outro.

"Monastary" Section after Havenshire
-Heavy amount of clipping and many surfaces are invisible.
-Can walk below the building

Ch.4
-Music Vastly overpowers voice over, can't understand what's being said during music's particularly loud sections.
-2 Landgrens?

--------
I like it, I'll continue at a later time.

Level 6
On the start of ch.2 i choise Righteous Blade and i have Crusader Strike. This 2 talents cost 1 point or it is a bug ?
And on the start of ch.2 Abbendis don`t have Judgment magic :(

Level 3
I am aware of the Landgren issue. I'm actively trying to fix that but it's surprisingly difficult because I honestly don't know why it's occurring. That spell has absolutely no connection to Frost Armor.

Chapter 3 you have to destroy every Scourge Necropolis and Halls of the Dead. Basically any of their command structures. Resources are deliberately limited. If this becomes a significant hindrance to gameplay I will fix it. It's meant to force you to protect your allies.

Certain talents, particularly in Tiers 1 and 3, preclude you from getting other talents. For instance, if you get Hammer of Justice, it turns off Judgment of Light and Conviction (and anything unlocked by these two) because getting all of them would seriously overpower the Judgment ability.

Some dialogue audio was recently added and I may have mistakenly set wrong run times on them. I will double-check.
The gold mine ally gets wiped out before you even get your army ready due to AI ghoul rush, not sure if you fixed that, haven't tried downloading the new version.

Level 12
Chasing the Dawn

Ch.1
-Outro Dialogue for Sally Whitemane overlaps
-Units meant to ambush in the plaguelands only attack units directly attacking them, meaning I can have Abbendis attack one unit at a time in a group of four without worry.

Ch.3
-Debug script at start?
-No option to mount Cavailer
-Random Spirit Tower in South-Western corner, this may cause confusion as everything else is usually dead before this.
-There is a lot of dialogue overlapping in the outro.

"Monastary" Section after Havenshire
-Heavy amount of clipping and many surfaces are invisible.
-Can walk below the building

Ch.4
-Music Vastly overpowers voice over, can't understand what's being said during music's particularly loud sections.
-2 Landgrens?

--------
I like it, I'll continue at a later time.

There are 2 Landgrens? That might be a holdover from testing. I've been trying to rapidfire hotfix everything and it is distinctly possible I forgot to fix that (it's fixed in the new version). The Whitemane outro and the Cavalier mounting have been similarly been fixed in the latest hotfix which I will be uploading shortly.

As for the ambush thing, yeah, that is an unfortunate fact I found awhile back but I haven't found a particularly viable alternative yet, so for now, that remains a fight you can cheat. And Mission 3 is supposed to conclude upon the destruction of all the Necropoli and other central structures, so that Spirit Tower should be able to be ignored. I will take a look at audio overlap in later Missions.

I've really been struggling with the selection map between Missions 3 and 4 because I attempted to make it two stories which really messes with the camera. I'm trying to repair it but it will take time; it's really hit or miss.

EDIT: Okay, I can't seem to edit in quotes, but that's alright, I'll just respond. The AI in Missions 3 and 4 are prone to error, I'm afraid. I am not particularly skilled with AI programming, so I'm still working to perfect the AI scripts in those missions, which will be ongoing process. You get one talent point with every level Abbendis gains, so after Mission 1 there should be 1 talent point to spend, after Mission 2 a second talent point to spend, etc. That being said, there is no reason you should be getting both, so that's incredibly odd.

Last edited:
Level 19
I don't understand why this campaign was approved. There are a number of errors and though they don't crash the game they annoy a person enough that it ruins all the effort and hours put into creating this game.

The call to arms in the town hall doesn't work because there are no peasants to be found.
The tech tree for stables is made available even when the ability to mount units is unavailable(rendering building a stable purposeless)
There isn't a wide selection of items, which is one of the main factor for building a powerful hero
The campaign isn't finished
The dialogue and sound overlap or don't show at all.
The introductions before each mission are GREAT, but I can hardly hear here... make her voice louder I'm sure it is an easy setting change.
Oh and buildings take way to long to build, I'm sure that isn't the normal build time ??? Although I could be wrong
Some of the scenes pin the characters heads backwards(looking at the screen) constantly

What I did enjoy however was the power selection system and the beginning unit selection. I would have liked it if I could also customise the units abilities, but that would be asking for a bit much considering I already get more options than warcraft offers :D

Another point to add is that the story line must have been difficult to keep to the warcraft lore, which isn't something to be over looked at all! Three stars just for that effort alone.

Thanks for the great game, but I feel your early release has made your quality suffer

Last edited:
Level 5
YAY love the crusade, finally a campaign, gona try it and review!!!

FOR LORDAERON!
FOR THE LIGHT!
FOREVER!

Level 14
I just started it and am very impressed! Looking forward to doing more tomorrow. I'll add a full review when I'm finished.

EDIT: I have to admit that it is quite buggy, but I can't stop playing it anyway. A few things in case you're eager to get to them (apologies if others have mentioned it or you already fixed these):

- dialogue often overlaps during cinematics
- I somehow got two copies of the Bishop hero in the map where I had to defend the town (chapter 3 maybe?). One hero was level 4, one level 1, though they seemed to have the same abilities.
- I also got the frost armor bug. You mentioned this was hard; I have a few ideas to check. One, are you using a dummy unit to cast? Keep in mind that frost armor is auto-cast sometimes, so it might be casting it automatically. Did the buff get overwritten? Sometimes when I delete a buff it messes with other ones.

Last edited:
Level 14
I got as far as I could, so I'll have to write my review as currently. Sadly, I don't think I got that far; I was stumped by the escape the harbor mission.

OVERALL: I think this is an extremely promising campaign with a lot of great ideas in it. The setting is good, voice acting great, and the general theme is very interesting. The music choice is excellent as well. There are lots of little details that are great; e.g. in the first map you can find a plagued kid just sitting there. If you kill him, your character explains that it was an act of mercy. Just really great attention to detail.

The problem is that it's riddled with bugs and confusing quests. It really needs an overhaul from someone who hasn't played it before. It feels like the creator of the maps knows everything so it seems easy and sensible, but to others it's going to be near impossible and confusing. Once this is fixed, I think it will be one of the best campaigns in WC3.

Some specifics:
1. The opening cinematic was confusing. Perhaps this is intentional, as in when a movie starts with a scene that doesn't make sense until later (ala The Usual Suspects). If that's the case, no worries. If I'm supposed to know who those people are, whether he was raised, what their relationship is to the Scarlet Crusade...that wasn't clear.

2. When I am in first person mode at my first camp (not indoors)...I'm told to continue I just need to walk down the road. There's no road, so that was confusing, and I walked around for 10 minutes before I realized that I was supposed to walk to the edge of a cliff and press down on the arrow keys. In first person mode there's no "quests" there's no log to look at in case I didn't hear that. There's just no good way to know where to go or that you're supposed to press the down arrow key somewhere random.

3. During the "escaping the harbor" map I finally couldn't proceed. It starts with an air unit that summons seemingly infinite mobs. I start with 4 ground units, none of which can attack air. There's literally no way to hit air. Luckily the ability section was bugged, so I somehow had Abbendis's ultimate ability which hits air. Then I was attacked by a frost wyrm... I feel certain you didn't play test this and have a frost wyrm attack your units when you had no anti-air...so I must have done something. I think it had to do with skipping a cinematic. Regardless, I eventually ran away and rescued the Bishop, but I had no idea where to go next, so eventually I backtracked and cheated with the ultimate to clear the second flying dragon unit that summoned repeatedly. Finally I emerged on the shores... nothing happened. At one point I sadly pressed the down arrow key, but it failed me as well. I assume I might have run out of time, but I don't see how I could have been much faster, especially without the ultimate spell I'm not supposed to have. I had to stop here, I had no idea where to go or what to do.

Extra improvements:

The terrain is often very flat. It helps to make more rolling hills and such. Also, blizzard cliffs can be covered by rocks which improves it. Use of blizzard ramps need to be smoothed manually. The "smooth" tool in the terrain editor doesn't work on ramps.

The marksmen's minimum range is too restrictive. Blizzard AI doesn't know how to work with it, so many times marksmen just stand around not shooting at anything. Their vision is lower than their range too, so many times even if ordered to attack move, they will just run up and die to a tower, for example.

I suggest using those power circles to show the player where to go. They're easy to drop down, hide or unhide as needed, and universally understood to be the "stand here" sign. You can use those in 1st person mode and in the general game if you want them to go somewhere.

Deleted member 237964

D

Deleted member 237964

I know that it's stupid to write a review before finishing campaign but there are few tings that i really have to write about.Some good things,other bad and few questions that i have to ask in case that i've missed something.Also my accept apologize for not the highest quality of english but i will try to do my best.I'm not writing reviews very often and i probably will have to edit that post in the future and after finishing campaign.

So...let me start with good things first:

-Voices! Woah! I was really impressed,normally acting is bad in custom productions but here it was really really good.The main hero voice is just perfect and the Cavallier battlecry "For Loarderon!" gave me chills!
-Scarlet Crusade! I was waiting for something like this for a long time! I'd love to see more of this in the future!
-Skill points and tech tree,i'm more used to old menu but this one is really good.I just have a question....do i upgrade units in "Monastery" or more units and upgrades go with the progress of the story,just like in the original Campaigns?
-Custom skills!
-Custom Ai! I just love it.

And now the bad things:

-Music! It's good but ometimes it's so loud that i don't hear what main characters are talking about but i guess i can always lower the sound,right? I admit that i haven't tried that.
-I always go with "Iseedeadpeople' cheat because i love to look around the map and search for easter eggs,hidden missions or just a random cool stuff.Why i'm saying this? Because i'm not sure if it's a bug caused by cheat or not.You see....before i was even able to reach Sally and Mograine in first mission the Dark Ranger showed up and mission ended long before i was even able to reach them.It left me with 'Wtf just happened' feeling.
-Some dialogues go way too fast!
-A small bug in cinematic.After destroying all three Necropolis in execution scene the soldiers just run toward Acolytes instead of killing them.
-In misson with defending of your stronghold i had two main heroes instead of one and once timer reached the end i had to defend myself for additional 5-8 minutes.Not sure about this one,is this supossed to be like that? Also the hero repeated the same quote about the missing couriers twice.
-Towers....don't you think that building a tower and loading it with additional four units is just big waste of resources and population limit? I suggest normal towers instead.
-In fourth mission i couldn't escape the city because undead got me surrounded from all sides and i haven't even got a healer.As not enough? They killed the bishop hero long before i was able to reach him.And there's more! Undead even destroyed the shipyard and all the ships on the right side of the mpa! Not sure if it's supossed to be like that and i have to act fast but i thought that it's worth noting to you.

-Normal Difficulty dosen't feel like normal at all! I choose this one because i thought that it would make the game much more enjoyable to me because i prefer to study history and characters instead of wasting hours at perfecting my every move and strategy but i was wrong.If i have chosen higher difficulty i probably would be okey but not on normal.

First mission was easy,indeed but as the story progressed things started to go bad.In second mission forsaken rebuild their army way too fast! I defeated first wave and literally 2-4 minutes later forsaken returned with fully upgraded army,bansheeses that were spamming curse all the time and the siege weapon! Also....gold in my mine was running out really really fast.I know that in this mission you only have to defend yourself and gather resources but it's really hard with non stop attacks that leave you with no time to rebuild your base or establish a second one.

-Undead going with full upgrades,full spells and heavy units,really? The third mission with Necropolis was a nightmare.Especially if you fail and frost wyrms arrive! Compard to your army the undead are really strong.They upgrade units,got much more stuff to throw at you and well...i can't destroy a single graveyard without having full base going at me.Necromancers are really really strong and they just kept spamming skeletons all over the map! Without abolish magic abillity my priests can't do anything to stop and every single dead unit means more skeletons! As not enough the undead are masters of multitasking! They attack my base and my allies at same time! I know that my allies are just innocent villagers and not soldiers but...i don't know...give them something to defend themself? At least few guards,not even upgraded one,just something that won't leave them entire at mercy of the undead.

-Nothing wrong with defense mission.It's supossed to be hard and i understand that.Just one thing...why are my allies so useless? Indeed...they rebuild their units but nothing more than this.No support on the barricades,no upgrades,they don't even move from Outpost area.I'm not saying that they should attack undead bases but at least they should patrol the base and give me...well..a bit of support?

That's all for now.Other than this i really want to see the progress of this campaign and next episodes of it.I'm enjoying it and if i find any more bugs or weird things i will gladly report them to you.

Ardenaso

HD Model Reviewer
Level 33
Looking forward for the second half of the chapter.

Here's some suggestions:

• Chapter 01: Brigitte tells the player to avoid going near Andorhal
  • Chapter 02: An optional quest where you gather reinforcements in Solliden Farmstead
  • Chapter 05: A scene in Hearthglen where Tirion kills Isillen and forms the Argent Dawn
  • General: A talent reset option

Level 8

Here's some suggestions:

• Chapter 02: An optional quest where you gather reinforcements in Solliden Farmstead
  • Chapter 05: A scene in Hearthglen where Tirion kills Isillen and forms the Argent Dawn
Don't spoil like that.

Level 12
Okay, I have one critique. The name of the campaign is misleading, it doesn't concern the main theme. It should be called sth like: The Forsaken Have Risen etc.

The central point of Abbendis's plot is her trying to achieve the prophesied Crimson Dawn. It just doesn't get that name until roughly Mission 4.

I got as far as I could, so I'll have to write my review as currently. Sadly, I don't think I got that far; I was stumped by the escape the harbor mission.

OVERALL: I think this is an extremely promising campaign with a lot of great ideas in it. The setting is good, voice acting great, and the general theme is very interesting. The music choice is excellent as well. There are lots of little details that are great; e.g. in the first map you can find a plagued kid just sitting there. If you kill him, your character explains that it was an act of mercy. Just really great attention to detail.

The problem is that it's riddled with bugs and confusing quests. It really needs an overhaul from someone who hasn't played it before. It feels like the creator of the maps knows everything so it seems easy and sensible, but to others it's going to be near impossible and confusing. Once this is fixed, I think it will be one of the best campaigns in WC3.

Some specifics:
1. The opening cinematic was confusing. Perhaps this is intentional, as in when a movie starts with a scene that doesn't make sense until later (ala The Usual Suspects). If that's the case, no worries. If I'm supposed to know who those people are, whether he was raised, what their relationship is to the Scarlet Crusade...that wasn't clear.

2. When I am in first person mode at my first camp (not indoors)...I'm told to continue I just need to walk down the road. There's no road, so that was confusing, and I walked around for 10 minutes before I realized that I was supposed to walk to the edge of a cliff and press down on the arrow keys. In first person mode there's no "quests" there's no log to look at in case I didn't hear that. There's just no good way to know where to go or that you're supposed to press the down arrow key somewhere random.

3. During the "escaping the harbor" map I finally couldn't proceed. It starts with an air unit that summons seemingly infinite mobs. I start with 4 ground units, none of which can attack air. There's literally no way to hit air. Luckily the ability section was bugged, so I somehow had Abbendis's ultimate ability which hits air. Then I was attacked by a frost wyrm... I feel certain you didn't play test this and have a frost wyrm attack your units when you had no anti-air...so I must have done something. I think it had to do with skipping a cinematic. Regardless, I eventually ran away and rescued the Bishop, but I had no idea where to go next, so eventually I backtracked and cheated with the ultimate to clear the second flying dragon unit that summoned repeatedly. Finally I emerged on the shores... nothing happened. At one point I sadly pressed the down arrow key, but it failed me as well. I assume I might have run out of time, but I don't see how I could have been much faster, especially without the ultimate spell I'm not supposed to have. I had to stop here, I had no idea where to go or what to do.

Extra improvements:

The terrain is often very flat. It helps to make more rolling hills and such. Also, blizzard cliffs can be covered by rocks which improves it. Use of blizzard ramps need to be smoothed manually. The "smooth" tool in the terrain editor doesn't work on ramps.

The marksmen's minimum range is too restrictive. Blizzard AI doesn't know how to work with it, so many times marksmen just stand around not shooting at anything. Their vision is lower than their range too, so many times even if ordered to attack move, they will just run up and die to a tower, for example.

I suggest using those power circles to show the player where to go. They're easy to drop down, hide or unhide as needed, and universally understood to be the "stand here" sign. You can use those in 1st person mode and in the general game if you want them to go somewhere.

1. You weren't supposed to know who any of these people were (except for good ol' LK, of course). Mograine and Tirion and such get their reveals later, and the random Cavalier is... well, random. I just needed a red-shirt to kill.
2. Yeah, I'm really struggling to make it clear where to go in that one. I thought it would be more clear to leave the camp, but with a first person camera I suppose it does look rather like walking off a cliff. I will try to make that more clear... somehow...
3. Okay, let's see... some of this might be another case of me not explaining how crap works adequately. The Deathspeaker mechanic is that they summon endless mobs until all their mobs are dead simultaneously. That being said, I've had some trouble with its conditions not checking properly, so it might be I need to reprogram that part. The Frost Wyrm was something I added last minute (so yes, this particular unit was untested) and was meant just to chase you off from the courtyard after the Koltira cinematic. I will just remove the unit. It isn't worth the effort of range detection and everything. There is no time limit, so I have no idea why the ending didn't fire. I will look at my triggers for that. I was pretty sure they worked, but I haven't tested it since I attached the final cinematic to it and it's possible I did something when I did that.

Terrain: I've gotten that comment before. My problem is that I tried very hard to stick to the WoW terrain, which is surprisingly flat and boring, and in later missions making rolling hills and stuff messes with the doodads and such. I will try to work on this, but it is not my priority.
Marksman: Thank you for pointing out the vision/acquisition range problem; I actually had not thought of that (I always wind up ordering them to attack directly). I will also see if I can reduce the minimum range some without overpowering the unit.
Circles of Power: Not a bad idea. I was very focused on the aesthetic element of the selection areas and neglected to do some more practical things, like giving more obvious markers of where to go. Oops...

EDIT: Oh, and you noted an ability glitch? What exactly happened?

Here's some suggestions:

Chapter 1: The only reason I haven't done that is that I haven't had time to arrange another recording session with her voice actress.
Chapter 2: I'm interested, but please elaborate.
Chapter 5: This is actually going to be handled as an Easter egg in another mission. It's just a feature that isn't visible yet because it was intended to be connected to something at the end of the campaign. Considering how long it takes me to get anywhere on this campaign, this requirement is something I might rethink.
Talent Reset: I am currently considering a talent reset, but it won't be free: it will cost a talent point. I don't want people choosing new talents after every mission.

And I currently have an unaffiliated tester working through this campaign. He's just busy during the week, so he's only like halfway through. I will be releasing a full patch as soon as he's done to correct the numerous issues he will likely find.

Last edited:
Level 5
Ok finally finished it, at least I guess ended with (SPOILERS AHEAD!!!) her sailing to Northrend, love the "Hope there is good weather there, I wasnt built for the cold", gota start with good points: The models are great, voice acting good too except for a few lines, story is nice as well, love the Scarlet Crusade the hype was great when started playing... now the bad stuff:

*First level: loved the cinematic but the first flaw sure is lack of orientation, make it more clear where to go and where to not go, and please give some reward for taking down main bases like Halls of the Dead that city in the far south seens like Androhall was a cool adition, and the Vampiric Aura for killing the Abomination in the midle of the city is a very cool reward, but there is more base deeper and getting nothing out of it feels stupid I mean you should give something like a tome for killing the main bases that are not part of the mission, if you dont want to give something too overpowering give at least a tome of agility wich is probably the worst for a paladin but still it is a nice thing, also permanent as inventory space is limited to one hero.

-Second half of the level: it was a fun adition to make it night after you pass the forsaken camp still not being able to return was a let down gladly I finished the necromancers quest if I left it for later would be really pissed to not be able to return, the funny thing is I found out could not return after I killed the lionheart guy and got his quest, I figured the only vilagers would be at the place I started so I went back, but still at that play I could not finish that quest cuse I used the horses to scout ahead and found out most the road is clear and sadly any unit you send to the cathedral triggers the end event wich is the forsaken atacking the Monastery wich was a bummer, make it that the events be triggered by the hero only and please CIRCLES OF POWER so we know where to go for future levels this will be a massive pain!!! Still played that again to get the locket quest and it was really nice but somehow I triggered the end atack and didnts even went to the Monestery this time guess it is triggered also by atacking the Forsaken bases, again a reward for killing the main bases would be cool (tome for exemple)

*Second level: Before we start the level there is the planing thing, couldnt you move faster, it is really boring to walk around the monastery/camp/house so slow and getting stuck at walls all the time! And as many people stated before the perk sistem is very buggy, I restarded the game cuse I beleived it did not give me the perk and I lost the point, the I got negative points and the I just got a bunch of random perks at the second level after raging and clicking it all. Now the units, you should make it clear that it is IMPOSSIBLE to beat the second level without the pillagers as you need 10k and there is no free mines except cheap ones, you should have left at least 2 mines with 10k not getting drained by the scourge or the forsaken, so we can finished the game not having to start it all over cuse we didnt get the Raider soldiers! And the Towers... they are very useless, the real towers in this are the outposts I made a bunch of them in the defend the city level, also the banshee side quest you need the ensnare guys otherwise the mission is supremelly harder, first time I went in this level I had neither the raiders or the net ensnare guys and made a bunch of towers like 10 just the I realise they were useless and I wasted a lot of money that will never be able to get back cuse no mines, so yeah you have to restart cuse nothing let us know that towers are useless and you must pick the raiders and net guys to play this decently. Also the first time the Dark Ranger atacks your base the optional quest does not trigger only the second time so if you kill her by then you complete it but the question mark (?) stays at quest log.

*Third level: OH MY GOD this was the biggest pain ever, CIRCLES OF POWER please, there is no way to know where to go, and clearly it is very bugged triggers cuse if you atack early and take down the graveyard in the middle, holding the center the attack on the village never happens and the optional quest never triggers as well wich here is probably worse cuse I beleve if you do not lose both town halls of the vilagers you can not trigger the cave where you must enter at the undead base to finish the level and I tried destroying the townhalls with my balistas but it never triggered the mission had to restart this level like 3 times to let the scourge kill the towns so the frostwyrms show up and funny cuse the army of the Ebon blade was allyed to me so they did not atack me making killing them easy. only after all that the cave triggered, wich I had given up on after hours of trying to find the place to stand, had to do all that to trigger the end of the level.

*Fourth level: As a defense level I sat waiting to get atacked while fortifying with Outposts (again towers sucks) and your save thing is realy bad cuse now I want to do more exploring at that level but can not cuse cant chose that level, so could not find bugs in this, as didnt explore much. What bothered me the most is that I was stuck in level 4, got no experience. Both heroes. Remembered a problem, the new hero his heal spell is actually frost armor, bummer.

*Fifth level: Again Directions, there is no way to know where to go, a more action paced music for this level might be nice for the escape mood, and why no experience, and same for rewarding killing these generals atacking the city would be great if there was small rewards like tomes or other stuff specially cuse the other hero got a free bag. But again make a ping in the map to tell where is the other hero hanging, and I could not recruit any unit walking around the city they just stand there fighting, and there is even dialog where she tells them to follow her but nothing happens, after I found the hero behind the trees had to go to the shore this time feels like a maze and I get it that is the point, I just feel sad to lose units, specially the named ones. And the biggest pain was the end, after you run from the city to the shore you got go to a specific place to trigger the end, I kept like 10 minutes looking for it.

Well overall this is a great project, reminds me of Skyrim wich had so much stuff with an open world that they never tested it all so it was also very buggy, in any case this looks great, looking forward for the rest of the story (if there will be any) and more games on the Scarlet Crusade.

Quick question is there a melee map with these units? Crusade, Ebon Blade, Forsaken? Specially cuse we never got to use the Inquisitors and the Paladins?

Last edited:
Level 14
Elf_Lord,

I think I discovered what went wrong on the beach. I opened up the map in the editor, and you appear to require that the flying skeleton summoner is killed. I just ran through the last encounter with him to get to the boats. So I think that's the problem. I don't know if you want to keep that, but if you do you should add it to the quest log or something (unless I missed it).

The ability bug seemed to give me infinite points. I screenshoted it for you (see attached). Apparently something broke so I could just keep getting abilities. I don't know how I did it exactly. I remember selecting the mana regen in tier 1. Then I played another map. When I went to pick my next one, I wasn't sure if I had the mana regen or not, because it didn't look greyed out or anything. So I selected it again. I think I got the message saying that it was already taken. Then I took the hammer of justice (or whatever the stun is called). I think after that mission, I just started selecting things. Oddly, tier 3 opened up (highlighted) but tier 2 was still not highlighted. I selected a tier 3 ability and then just took of the ones under it until I reached the ultimate. I'm not sure I could replicate it, sorry.

Darwin
WC3ScrnShot_020617_230242_02.jpg

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_020617_230242_02.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_020617_230242_02.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 201
Level 19
I must reiterate a single point.

the game needs more items and powerful hard earn items at that. items form at least 20% of character development. right now I feel it was almost impossible to win on mystic difficulty setting. I battled on the escort mission and on the last mission. the only reason I survived was because I ran like death was after me which it was

now items would make it a little more possible as well as being tactful in the preparation to getting that item.

Level 5
New bug, was gona try new game in harder difficulty, but it did not allow me to chose dificult after I finished the game and restarted, then the cutscene in the village was all blurry and when it ended I had no control over the hero, it was standing in front of the church at level 4 with all the items I had when finished it, I just had the units, how do I undo all the saved stuff, tryed deleting the campaign but did not work.

Any help???

Edit: Found out how to fix it, gota delet all the stuff it saves at the save folder, still another thing to show how this new saving sucks.

Last edited:
Level 19
New bug, was gona try new game in harder difficulty, but it did not allow me to chose dificult after I finished the game and restarted, then the cutscene in the village was all blurry and when it ended I had no control over the hero, it was standing in front of the church at level 4 with all the items I had when finished it, I just had the units, how do I undo all the saved stuff, tryed deleting the campaign but did not work.

Any help???

Edit: Found out how to fix it, gota delet all the stuff it saves at the save folder, still another thing to show how this new saving sucks.
I like the new save. it just needs a little work

Level 1
I got to say, this is the best custom campain i have ever played! it reminds me that original custom campains.
i found a lot of bugs in the game, where can i download the update patches?

Does that campaign ends after chapter 5? after tyrs hand falls and you get to walk inside the fortress to see the last moments before the castle falls.

i realy liked the custom models and the voice acting. but it need more work. and in chapter 5 (i think its 5) where you need to run from tyrs hand to the harbors, its so hard, even on normal i couldnt pass it normally, i had to just run or do whosyourdaddy cheat.

Last edited:
Level 5
I have been waiting for this to be playable for so long. And now the time to play it has come, looks as I was expecting from all the photos and all, and I have to play it to see if it meets my expectations.

Level 5
I like the new save. it just needs a little work
In the new save there is no way to pick the levels or the cutscenes as you can in normal campaigns... It is just more limiting adding nothing really, just locks you at the last mission you played. And with the bug in my quote I had to delete everything that I had saved just so I could start the game again.

Level 9
I'm currently on chapter 4
So far I'm loving the campaign and its every detail
There are some minor errors like at the end cut scene of chapter 3 and I think also chapter 2 , Abbendis is speaking two dialogues at once
oh in chapter 4 I have two Landgerns and his ability Pentance -I forgot its name- his second ability doesn't heal the unit it only gives it extra armor and in chapter 3 the courier is not visible, his dialogue is spoken but he can't be seen
other than that I love it
Good Job Elf_Lord

Level 12
Okay, I've been trying to make a point of responding to everyone's concerns and reviews because they are immensely helpful to me, but there are a lot of them and I'm fairly busy, so I'm just gonna try to sum it up quickly. From now on, I will be talking development notes on the thread and not here; I will only be responding here in regards to released content. I will be addressing as many of your concerns in the next full patch release (which will occur once I get a full report from my tester and I can make sure there isn't anything else I need to do). Thank you so much for your continued interest in my little project!

@fantocan I don't know why I feel the need to respond to you in particular, but Mission 2 is possible without Raiders. I played that mission on Mythic difficulty before I implemented the Raider unit or talent points (so Abbendis only had Holy Restoration). It can be done. It just sucks to do that way. Raiders are recommended.

Last edited:
Level 5
Okay, I've been trying to make a point of responding to everyone's concerns and reviews because they are immensely helpful to me, but there are a lot of them and I'm fairly busy, so I'm just gonna try to sum it up quickly. From now on, I will be talking development notes on the thread and not here; I will only be responding here in regards to released content. I will be addressing as many of your concerns in the next full patch release (which will occur once I get a full report from my tester and I can make sure there isn't anything else I need to do). Thank you so much for your continued interest in my little project!

@fantocan I don't know why I feel the need to respond to you in particular, but Mission 2 is possible without Raiders. I played that mission on Mythic difficulty before I implemented the Raider unit or talent points (so Abbendis only had Holy Restoration). It can be done. It just sucks to do that way. Raiders are recommended.

Thanks for the reply on the second level, so I guess I am missing something, becuse in that level I only see 2 unused mines one with 500 gold I guess (it was little) to the west, and other with 2000 gold to the east, the way you beat it then must be by rushing the Forsaken before they eat their mines wich probably must be done in less than 10 minutes otherwise it wont have enough gold to finish the level (10k).

Looking forward to the rest of the Campaign!

Level 1
First i must say that it was very interesting to play this campaign. But i encountered some problems.
1. The first time i was able to build stables, they did not give me an option to mount.
2. Landgren healing did not heal at all.
3. Choosing one of Landgren's buffs, activated another instead. Meaning that, i chose first buff, but 3'd was activated instead.

Finished the game and then encountered some more.

4. Choosing new game is pretty much no go, because when i start the new game, i don't see the main hero anywhere.
5. Choosing previous game takes me to first person view and in the middle of an undead attack. That attack occurs for couple of second and then all freezes and i cant do anything.

Even when i downloaded the maps from here, nothing changed to the beginning of the game.

Level 3
At the moment i'm playing through you're campaign on my channel, got 3 episodes out so far. You can watch these to see if you find some bugs or other things. keep in mind this is from the first released version

Level 12
Okay, just to clarify because I already received one message about this: I will keep updating this thread with new versions of the game. I just won't be talking about things to be released in new patches here until they are released. :)

@fantocan I will likely be nerfing that map somewhat anyway. I said it was possible, as I have done it, but it's still incredibly annoying to do, and my tester got stuck a few times himself just the other week. (This one comment is my one exception to the above rule.)

Level 5
Okay, just to clarify because I already received one message about this: I will keep updating this thread with new versions of the game. I just won't be talking about things to be released in new patches here until they are released. :)

@fantocan I will likely be nerfing that map somewhat anyway. I said it was possible, as I have done it, but it's still incredibly annoying to do, and my tester got stuck a few times himself just the other week. (This one comment is my one exception to the above rule.)

Thanks again for the reply, but before you abandon things here would be good if you gave us a list of all the bugs you fixing, and the stuff you gona put like Circles of Power so we know at what pixels we must put the units to finish the level, as it was a huge pain many times specially in level 3.

Level 1
Hey I started playing the campaign but after I finished the first mission the first person part doesn't start. The screen is just black with human music and the hud. Please help I want to play! ;(

Level 19
for your towers and adding arches into them

just give the tower a multi shot ability that increases the number of arrows fired in one shot. that way it will feel like there are more units in the tower.

Level 4
Played it on Normal, looks good, voice acting is a plus and also the custom race, 1st person view with techtree options is a refreshing feature (first time I encouter such a thing)..
But I needed to fight through many bugs and I hope it gets fixed and polished in the future. Bugs range from random voices playing over the dialogue, wrong "quest completed" text, completing a quest without doing it, hero ability techtree buggy (I wanted the HP regen aura but instead it picked the Holy Light, I've had -9 Talent points at one time as well), units are not what they should be according to description in unit-select menus (crossbowman, for example is an almost useless unit, having both min. and max. range ~600 so he can't fire most of the time) but I didn't try them all... This is from what I remember.
Other this things I disliked and my opinion on them:
-Siege-soldier because he's absolutely weak
-Crossbow soldier
-the shield formation ability is more of a liability than it's useful
-Main hero's abilities weak (except self-heal is quite good for tanking)
-Music in cinematics too loud/Voice too silent
-The mission where you need to collect 10000g/5000w: I don't know how to finish it, honestly.. I can never collect enough and the gold mines have so little. The only way I could would be to spend all the gold for offense, but leave a building and an enemy worker standing to repair it, and then use a siege soldier to pillage it for hours, haha =_= (just to compare, the "defend 25 min" mission was ridiculously easy)
-1st person view in that castle with purple portals on walls - there are places where you fall halfway down through the floor

That's it for now, I like it generaly but after playing it seems to me there are still many things to fix and improve.

Level 1
A really creative campaign, nice job, it's about time someone made one about the infamous Scarlet Crusade and it's struggles.
What most caught my attention was the system of choosing different kinds of soldiers instead of just one type of unit, the techtree of Abbendis was incredible as well, I was really surprised. Waiting anxiously for the next segment ;)