• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Chasing the Dawn

This bundle is marked as high quality. It exceeds standards and is highly desirable.
143048-albums8336-picture100183.jpg

The voice whispered: "Come to me."

Considering that I have never seen a Scarlet Crusade campaign done before (at least not a finished one), I thought I might give it a shot, give back something to this community I've been a part of longer than I like to think about. I have done my best to keep the campaign as canon as possible, but as it turns out keeping it completely canon makes for a rather boring campaign, so I have taken some liberties, mostly regarding locations. The narration you will hear in the campaign comes straight from Abbendis's diary in World of Warcraft... almost.

(For anyone who's interested: The Diary of High General Abbendis)

Again, I have had to make some changes, especially early on, to condense some of the more boring parts and to expand its scope in some areas so I could make more missions out of it (originally, I would only have been able to make two or three missions in Lordaeron; the plan is five at the moment). I am aware that the file will probably be enormous, and once everything's finalized, I will try to create a lighter version for those of you who do not want to deal with this campaign's monstrous size, but for now it's better for me to work in the full version.

My screenshots are all outdated at the moment. Once I have time to do a full playthrough where I'm not starting and stopping to troubleshoot I will post a set. In the meantime, the old screenshots can be found on the Chasing the Dawn campaign thread, and I have videos in Related Media that show some aspects of gameplay.

Latest Patch: 1.04 (Patch notes found on this document)
Chasing the Dawn Patch Notes

143048-albums8336-picture100406.jpg

Story
The kingdom of Lordaeron is in ruins. The Undead Scourge, with the former Prince Arthas at its head, has slaughtered every man, woman,
and child in their path on their quest for domination, and now the Forsaken, Sylvanas Windrunner's pet army, have risen out of the ashes
of the Tirisfal Glades. The plague has corrupted even the mightiest of heroes, the most noble of souls; death is everywhere. But one
small bastion of hope remains: the Scarlet Crusade. Considered fanatics by most, the Crusade has devoted itself to cleansing the wretched
undead from their homeland and restoring Lordaeron to its former glory. General Brigitte Abbendis, one of the Crusade's most fervent
paladins, has long lead the elite Crimson Legion at the forefront of this battle, but the Holy Light has begun to whisper to her in her
dreams, calling her north to confront the Lich King himself. So as the shadow of the Scourge once again falls over Lordaeron, Abbendis
must ready herself to leave everything she has known behind, to lead the most faithful to their true destiny and to chase the dawn deep
into the icy heart of Northrend...

143048-albums8336-picture100409.jpg

Features
Full (partially) canon storyline
Three unique, original techtrees - Scarlet Crusade, Forsaken, and Vrykul
Updated Alliance, Horde, and Scourge techtrees
Fully voice-acted
Unique unit/ability customization
• Retains progress through updates (not sure if this is a pet peeve for anyone else in campaigns)

143048-albums8336-picture100407.jpg

Credits
Elf_Lord: Creator

Nowow: AI Developer/Consultation

Original Voice Acting (in order of appearance):
Katrien Van Riel: Brigitte Abbendis
Elf_Lord: Dreadguard - Scarlet Courier - Herod
Ethan Guthrie: Renault Mograine - Galvar Pureblood
Alex Riggs: Sally Whitemane - Velonara
Rene Gonzalez: Valroth
Jakob Walsh: Landgren
Meredith Denney: Areiel

Graphics and Music:
Blizzard Entertainment: Music/Sound Effects (WoW) - Region Maps (WoW) - Ability Icons (WoW) - Beta Lumbermill,
War-Golum: Blightwalker Aura,
Kitabatake: Mansion Walls & Gate - Ballista (Scorpion),
Korija2029: Black Garden (Wraithforge),
Sellenisko: Draenei Huntress (Exarch) - Val'kyr - Undead Vrykul (Vargul) - Dragon's Reach - Vrykul House - Vrykul Units,
67chrome: Lieutenant Commander (Paladin) - Draenei Huntress (Exarch) - Sylvanas Windrunner - Scarlet Crusader (Soldier/Huntsman) - Returned - Thrust,
skrab: Joan of Arc (Abbendis Portrait),
Blood Raven: Liberator Sword, Scarlet Archbishop (Street), Scarlet Crusader (Jordan)
Sunchips: Lordaeron Crest Shield,
Gottfrei: Plague Doctor (Apothecary),
Ujimasa Hojo: Forsaken Footman (Baelric) - Ujimasa Hojo: Forsaken Structures - Forsaken Peasant,
Mr.Goblin: Poison Potion - Lordaeron Crest Floor/Stairs,
Champara Bros: Judgment - Divine Storm - Penance - Dark Execution,
MassiveMaster: Stable,
skrab: Barracks (Armory) - Garrison (Garrison),
Mike: Chapel (Consecrated Chapel) - Siege Workshop (War Mill) - Pier - Scorpion Ballista,
CloudWolf: Gilneas structures - Sir Valiant (Barean) - Scarlet Crusader (Myrmidon/Ranger) - Alliance/Horde Banners - Sylvanas (Ymirjar Hunter),
Graber: Depot (Storehouse),
Ket: WCII Church (Chapel),
JetFangInferno: Holy Aurora (Consecration) - Black Cloud (Transcendence) - Light Strike Array (Final Vindication) - Soul Armor,
takakenji: Team Color Cathedral (Library) - Ogre Arena (Battle Pit),
Caged_Angelic: Abbendis Art,
Gabriel: Whitemane Art,
Tranquil: Holy Smite - Window & Window Rays, Royal Captain (Jordan)
paladinjst: Silverhand Paladin (Galvar),
Direfury: Arcanist Hero (Whitemane), Death Knight (Thassarian), Proudmoore (Shely)
JesusHipster: Divine Barrier,
ILH: Holy Awakening (Resurrection),
Direfury: Blood Mage (Inquisitor) - Court Mage,
Mephestrial: Mounted Swordsman (Cavalryman) - Gnoll Elemental Grove (Altar of Runes),
Hayate: Gryphon Knight (Wind Lancer),
Nichita_00: Peasant (Stonemason),
Wandering Soul: Crossbow Footman (Ranger),
AhhFreshWeeD: Black Legion Priest (Raven Priest),
Justicebringer: Holy Paladin,
GooS: Armor Upgrades (Crusade),
Elenai: Sword Upgrades (Crusade),
CRAZYRUSSIAN: Black Book (Raven Priest Training) - Red Book - Hand Break - CRPaladin - Apothecary Icon,
lelyanra: Defensive - Fly Claw,
Big Dub: Eyes (Shadowform),
Ginufe: Fire Destruction,
PeeKay: Fire-Horned Helmet (Herod's Helm) - Holy Fist - Holy Regeneration - Inner Fire - Pray - Sphere of Divine - Wing Protection - Abyss Knight (Koltira Deathweaver),
4eNNightmare: Fire Sorrow,
Dalharukn: Heal Cannon,
CreatorD3292: Holy,
cyprigen: Orc Sorcerer,
zbc: Holy Maul,
The_Silent: Howl of Terror,
JollyD: Lion Shield of Courage,
stonneash: Necropedia,
Heinvers: Power Fist,
KelThuzad: Shackle - Cold of the Damned (Dread),
NFWar: Warrior's Blessing,
l0w_kwaliti: Lich King,
Hawkwing: Darion,
MatiS: Nerubian Vizier,
Sin'dorei300: Dragonmaw Banner - Dark Soldier - Crusader Icon - Val'kyr Icon - Ragnar Icon,
xXm0RpH3usXx: Church and Library Doodad Pack,
LordT: Footman Corpse,
MassiveMaster: Fortification Walls,
dansaDisco: Undead Banner,
-=Emergenzy=-: Campaign Walls,
SkriK: Lordaeron Signet,
Ampharos_222: Assailant Spire (Proto-Drake Spire),
Freddyk: Dark Soldier,
TheReaper: Undead Footman,
AndrewOverload519: Forsaken Archer,
Cavman: Dreadguard - Skeletal Peasant,
Edge45: Forsaken Catapult,
Rao Dao Zao: Tosc (Plague Beast),
AnemicRoyalty: Tosc (Plague Beast) - Grand Apothecary,
UgoUgo: Toxic Field,
Tirlititi: Soul Basin,
Power: Dark Harvest,
Marcos DAB: Critical Strike,
Apheraz Lucent: Knight of the Ebon Blade (Darion),
chilla_killa: Argent Banner,
I3lackDeath: Frostmourne,
Stefan.K: Tirion Fordring - Rodrick
~Nightmare: Stop (Aura),
Kuhneghetz: Death Knight on Foot (Koltira Deathweaver) - Barbarian,
JollyD: Horror Soul (Whisper),
Godslayer: Alternate Sacrifice,
Hans Zimmer: Hold the Ice (The Fall of New Avalon),
-Grendel: Diseased One (Sapper),
Fuzzyfury: Geist,
Paladon: Jump Spell,
Tauer: Blackhand, Anduin Lothar
BLazeKraze: Blackhand Icon - Sylvanas Icon (Alt),
PROXY: Crusader,
kangyun: Priestess of the Moon (Lynore) - Phantom Blade, Saidan Dathrohan (Mograine),
zbc: Stoned Ring, Shield Bash
Deathclaw24: Arrow Storm,
ikillforeyou: War Zeppelin,
Daenar7: Runic Skins,
skymarshall: Goblin Tower,
Mephestrial: Gilneas Gunship,
WILL THE ALMIGHTY: Ground Explosion
xXm0RpH3usXx: Pavement
Illidan(Evil)X: Replaceable Banner
Really Slow Motion: Scarlet Victory Theme
Peacegetter: Argent Footman
Dmitry Rommel, Xaran Alamas, Defender of the Crown (Abbendis)
Mr.Goblin: Juggernaught
HerrDave: Questioner (LeCraft) - Man of God (Landgren)
Serbianbeast: Wooden Elevator
L_Lawliet: Dungeon Cliff
LongbowMan/Blizzard: Chapel Banner
stein123/HoS: Scarlet Ram - Scourge Necromancer

This list is still incomplete, as I am only a third of the way through the campaign (though I have tried to anticipate). If I forgot to mention someone (which I may have, since several of my models I borrowed from an earlier project), please let me know and I will update the list.

Previews
Contents

Chasing the Dawn (Campaign)

Reviews
Rufus
Approved. Awesome voice acting, awesome opening cinematic. A well made continuation of the original wc3 campaigns. If you want a more elaborated review, try joining the Grand Review Exchange.
Level 12
Mission 2: Hard to believe, the Ensnare buff on Watchmen made the optional quest way too easy. I suggest a thing: make the Ensnare an unlockable skill learnt through research from the third mission... or make Valenara's ghost resistant to ensnares (making it last less longer) and/or make her immune to them after the first one for, like, 1.5/2 seconds.
Also, good job on the Unmined gold window and the "buffed" Goldmines. I suggest to increase the defense on the north Forsaken camp and on the East one. Quite too vulnerable, if you know what to do precisely.
Balancing this mission is insanely difficult. I did all my testing on Mythic and I only won this game by sheer dumb luck last time, even knowing which bases were vulnerable and when to attack. I think I've hit the sweet spot right now, or at least as close as I can get to one.

You make a good point about Ensnare. I didn't use Watchmen in this mission, so it never occurred to me to nerf Ensnare for Velonara.

Mission 3
: Finally completed this mission, it got bugged when I played it the last time and I couldn't continue with the storyline. Happy to see it fixed. Also, a couple of things I want to mention:
1) Stables still use 2 Mana to train Knights instead of 1 and, if you try to train Knights with only 1 mana, the unit doesn't evolve and the 1 mana point dissapears. Pretty weird, I don't know if I'm missing something or if someone already pointed that out.
2) Undead didn't attack villages. I'm... pretty sure something got messed up. I'm not sure what.
No, no one has pointed that first issue out so far. I used Cavaliers on this mission as well and didn't experience this problem, but I will double-check my triggering. As for the AI not attacking villages, this either means that my targeting system is broken (Yellow uses Shades to scout bases and counts your defensive units to pick the weakest target) or I forgot to replace the placeholder version that only attacked you. Knowing me, the latter is much more likely.

What version are you playing, by the way? Did you download the hotfixed 1.02b version from the 7th or the initial release on the 6th?

Mission 4
: I haven't had problems in this map, I personally felt lost when the timer reached 0, I resisted until the end but it felt really weird... You could play a cutscene where it explains why reinforcements/supplies (can't remember what had to arrive) are late, some suggestions or a messenger that tells the cause of its late. Also, I really like defense maps, but my ally stopped moving his units and never helped me when my buildings were under attack (I placed them on the bottom side to slow the enemy down a bit). Pretty sure it's intended, not a big deal, but it felt kinda awkward, seeing 6 Priests right out of the Church. <w<
I had hoped Abbendis's comment would be enough to suggest this, but considering the number of people I've had with the same complaint, this is a good suggestion. I really do want to leave the player confused as to their next move, but perhaps I could make the situation a little more clear. Thank you for the suggestion.

Yeah, your ally is supposed to be pretty useless. His sole purpose is to hold the northwestern entrance. And I noticed the priest thing myself during my playthrough and I thought I fixed it. Evidently not.

Mission 5
: I actually rushed this map, not intentionally, but I felt like it was the right thing to do, too many enemies and not enough units to stand a chance against the Scourge. I really liked it though, probably my favourite on the whole campaign so far: I love the design you've put in this map, the fallen building, the effects used to create the magic walls, Landgren's devotion even in such a dangerous time... you've put a lot of effort in this one.
Thank you! This was one of my favorite mission concepts for this campaign, but it's a really hard one to implement, as is any non-linear environment. I've had a lot of trouble with this one, so I'm glad it was worth the effort.

Also, I love the "replay" map that allows you to play all missions without replaying through all previous chapters... even though if it's bugged for me, I can't change units, can't unlock talents and select missions to play (which are the portals I guess, but, as the rest, I can't interact with them). Loving the presence of Cromie there though, nothing is missing here :D
You're not the only one who has reported glitches on the replay map with this patch, so this is most likely on my end. I'll go through the campaign and double-check this today, and if it's my issue I'll release a new version of the patch to correct it.

Looking forward to Part 2 or another patch, I want to see this thing done and working and I'll pass by from time to time to read comments and announces! Best of luck to you Elf_Lord, keep up the good work!
Long live the Scarlet Onslaught!
Thanks for playing! I hope to make Part II just as engaging. :)

Level 4
I played on the hotfixed version... You could give the Yellow CPU Full map view instead of Shades, just like normal AI.

Level 3
Oh, I totally forgot to post my opinion after finishing your first released portion (aside from the optional mission).
This is the best custom campaign I've ever played and I played lots of 'em. Voice acting is amazing... well not professional but for non-professional VA's it's mind blowing.
Every single mission/chapter, whatever you want to call it, plays differently and is overall interesting (although the mission with the unmined gold, as previously mentioned, bugged me a little. Pls add a better description of what there is to do or just make the mission fail once there is no gold left on the map without the player having reached 10k).

I really, really hope you can manage to keep the same quality and I eagerly await new releases for this campaign.

Level 12
I think it's make some strategy using Huntsmen and their dogs to prevent the villages being attacked early

^ This. The shade mechanic was meant to be counterable. I wanted to make the AI unique in some fashion because I found it too linear previously.

I didn't use Huntsmen and I didn't put any unit to defend the villages, I wanted to wait until the enemy assault... which never occurred.

This is really weird because the computer actually has a GUI-programmed attack on a village in addition to the AI waves as a failsafe. I'm concerned that neither is firing properly.

Level 4
This is really weird because the computer actually has a GUI-programmed attack on a village in addition to the AI waves as a failsafe. I'm concerned that neither is firing properly.

Was it probably because I was on Normal? It would actually make sense, making the chapter easier, but, on the other hand, I dunno nothing about programming an AI, so mine could just be random mumbling.

Level 12
Was it probably because I was on Normal? It would actually make sense, making the chapter easier, but, on the other hand, I dunno nothing about programming an AI, so mine could just be random mumbling.

The difficulty shouldn't matter. A lower difficulty would reduce the size of the attack waves but not prevent them from happening. But who knows? I don't know that much about JASS programming myself, and little things have a tendency to mess JASS up, so maybe difficulty could affect it somehow.

Question: did the AI continue to send attack waves after the first wave?

Level 4
The difficulty shouldn't matter. A lower difficulty would reduce the size of the attack waves but not prevent them from happening. But who knows? I don't know that much about JASS programming myself, and little things have a tendency to mess JASS up, so maybe difficulty could affect it somehow.

Question: did the AI continue to send attack waves after the first wave?

Mhh... I remember watching them assemble another army, but I can't remember if they actually attacked twice. I do remember 2 attacks, but my mind might mistake those with the older version of the campaign.
Their AI actually works as of creating other units, I might've been too fast for it?

Level 12
Mhh... I remember watching them assemble another army, but I can't remember if they actually attacked twice. I do remember 2 attacks, but my mind might mistake those with the older version of the campaign.
Their AI actually works as of creating other units, I might've been too fast for it?

I'm afraid not. Because of how the AI is programmed, if something breaks, it will only send one wave then just keep producing units without attacking. Which means the AI needs repair. Again. :/

Level 15
Few suggestions:

- Change hotkeys into Q-W-E-R system;
- Abbendis deals damage before she swings with her sword;
- I have no idea why you recolored Orc cursor into red. Normal human cursor works perfectly fine;
- Aggro range of creeps is too small;
- Music is too loud sometimes, I can't hear what Abbendis is saying;
- Also, that tutorial's guy speech is cut when I enter a window to choose my warriors/spells for the next mission;
- You should do something about Muskeeters, they should look at least a bit like a humans. Change their heads or something;
- What is the optional quest in Map 3? I scoured the whole map, and couldn't find anything;

Level 12
Few suggestions:

- Change hotkeys into Q-W-E-R system;
- Abbendis deals damage before she swings with her sword;
- I have no idea why you recolored Orc cursor into red. Normal human cursor works perfectly fine;
- Aggro range of creeps is too small;
- Music is too loud sometimes, I can't hear what Abbendis is saying;
- Also, that tutorial's guy speech is cut when I enter a window to choose my warriors/spells for the next mission;
- You should do something about Muskeeters, they should look at least a bit like a humans. Change their heads or something;
- What is the optional quest in Map 3? I scoured the whole map, and couldn't find anything;

Hotkeys are on my to-do list and have been for some time. It's just a lot of retrofitting, so I'm going to do it as part of the Part II release instead of trying to shove it in Part I alone.

Never noticed that about Abbendis, though I noticed something similar about Forsaken plague wagons in my last playthrough. I'll patch it up at some point but it's not a priority.

The normal human cursor has a blueish hue. I felt it clashed with the UI changes. I'm keeping my custom one unless I find an alternative that isn't blue.

Certain maps in particular or all creeps? My creeps are set to Camp, which is the standard Blizzard creep camp aggro radius...

I thought I had gotten the music volume down enough this time. Oh, well. Another thing I will patch up at some point in the near future.

I have spent a good deal of time trying to fix the tutorial dialogue thing with the unit/talent selection as it is (entering any selection screen automatically clears dialogue, as I had encountered some weird overlap before). If I find a way to fix it, I will, but chances are it won't happen. Integrating that tutorial was a disaster from start to finish and I have no desire to return to it if I can avoid it...

The Musketeers aren't human nor are they meant to be. While you rarely see them in-game, the Scarlet Crusade actually does have High Elves and Dwarves within their ranks: Fellari Swiftarrow, Dorgar Stonebrow, etc.

The Mission 3 optional quest is tied to the enemy AI, which was unfortunately broken in the 1.02b release. It has now been fixed, though, so it should fire properly! If it makes you feel any better, if the Mission 3 optional quest isn't discovered, you've kinda won it by default, and it doesn't give you any rewards anyway. Your reward for not failing it is that you don't have to suffer extra air dropped waves in Mission 4.

Level 4
Another patch already? I'm loving you man.

BTW, is there a way to properly update the campaign file without having to play it all over again? I mean, is there a way to make my savefile compatible with the new version of the campaign? I've been trying to do it with Rise of the Blood Elves when tomoraider updated the file... I ended up using cheats to reach the chapter I was on the older file... with low level heroes and no items. :(

Level 12
Another patch already? I'm loving you man.

BTW, is there a way to properly update the campaign file without having to play it all over again? I mean, is there a way to make my savefile compatible with the new version of the campaign? I've been trying to do it with Rise of the Blood Elves when tomoraider updated the file... I ended up using cheats to reach the chapter I was on the older file... with low level heroes and no items. :(

Are you asking about my campaign or in general? You should be able to restore your previous progress by hitting the "Begin New Campaign" button on the campaign screen. If you have a game cache from a previous playthrough, the game will detect it and ask if you want to restore your previous progress.

In general, I think this sort of game restoration system is pretty easy to implement. Literally all you need is an integer in the game cache that tracks what the last played/unlocked mission is and have the first map in the series load the cache and check to see what the number is. If it has a value, it unlocks all the missions up to that point. This might work a bit less well in a campaign that uses a more traditional campaign setup, as I believe most campaigns use separate caches for each mission and I do not (as my campaign has several values that need to carry over across multiple maps and parts of my campaign are non-linear in Part II), but there are ways around that. In short, I think it could be done, but I'd have to take a look at how tomoraider sets up his game cache to say for certain, and it would require adding triggers to his opening map.

@Elf_Lord can i ask u something why this update has lower mb than lastest?

It has to do with Darion Mograine's audio in Mission 5. I never managed to find a clean recording of Mograine's line (it always had music in the background), so in previous versions I had an entire second version of the Mission 5 song that had Mograine's audio included. But the other day I finally sucked it up and made a fresh DK and recorded Mograine's lines myself so I could delete the redundant song, which was 2 MB in itself. Shoutout to Fraps and my lovely DK Dorahdrys. ;)

Level 2
I liked your campaign so much, that i even created an account to give feedback.

I believe the Urn caused those triggers to show up. That was something else, really great idea. However, I played this for the first time on your latest update (on mythic) and Urn is absolutely doable without cheats or bugging something, but Corrupted Ashbringer? I found it by chance using cheats on last mission, when I wanted to see if its possible complete optional mission (which is unfortunatelly bugged, cause even if orange becomes your enemy, anti-TK still works). Well, maybe you didnt want to make Ashbringer an item player could get and its only like easter egg, because the whole purpose of last mission is to run from enemy. But if it "supposed" to be an item player can get(without cheats), you really should make "chasers" weaker. But if I'm wrong and your tester or you managed to kill them, then let me know pls.

Then, about Mission 3. It's the only mission that had some major issues. Yes, you just said that optional quest doesnt work in this version, but i think the whole mission is bugged. I never received any attacks from undead in this mission. This mission was waaay too easy considering how hard mission 2 was (if you dont know the mission from the beggining and dont get pillage guys). I destroyed everything what was on the map pretty fast and easilly. However, it didnt end. I didnt want to waste time with unnecessary scouting for "missed triggers" so i used iseedeadpeople and that ended mission right away. So, I dont know what caused all this, but Im quite sure that this mission isnt supposed to be like this (from the way its builded, cause there are plenty paths that connects villages and mini undead bases).

Finally, Mission 4. To complete this mission i had to use "legal cheats". Cut down several small paths IN the trees and build farms, while heroes hiding somewhere. After bot destroys one farm he goes back to his base and while he's gone you can rebuild farm in that place. But teasing bots like this isnt very joyful. Even if it IS what you wanted player to do in last minutes, I had to start doing this strategy when 4 minutes was still left on timer. I think it would be more joyful for the player if he would be able to do FULL last stand. This would be possible if you would do one of these changes:
1. Instead of having dual base that you share with bot, you get to control of WHOLE base with both goldmines and buildings.
2. Be able to TK ally bot to claim his gold mine.
3. Give 2 controlled gold mines from the start.

Level 12
I liked your campaign so much, that i even created an account to give feedback.

I believe the Urn caused those triggers to show up. That was something else, really great idea. However, I played this for the first time on your latest update (on mythic) and Urn is absolutely doable without cheats or bugging something, but Corrupted Ashbringer? I found it by chance using cheats on last mission, when I wanted to see if its possible complete optional mission (which is unfortunatelly bugged, cause even if orange becomes your enemy, anti-TK still works). Well, maybe you didnt want to make Ashbringer an item player could get and its only like easter egg, because the whole purpose of last mission is to run from enemy. But if it "supposed" to be an item player can get(without cheats), you really should make "chasers" weaker. But if I'm wrong and your tester or you managed to kill them, then let me know pls.

Then, about Mission 3. It's the only mission that had some major issues. Yes, you just said that optional quest doesnt work in this version, but i think the whole mission is bugged. I never received any attacks from undead in this mission. This mission was waaay too easy considering how hard mission 2 was (if you dont know the mission from the beggining and dont get pillage guys). I destroyed everything what was on the map pretty fast and easilly. However, it didnt end. I didnt want to waste time with unnecessary scouting for "missed triggers" so i used iseedeadpeople and that ended mission right away. So, I dont know what caused all this, but Im quite sure that this mission isnt supposed to be like this (from the way its builded, cause there are plenty paths that connects villages and mini undead bases).

Finally, Mission 4. To complete this mission i had to use "legal cheats". Cut down several small paths IN the trees and build farms, while heroes hiding somewhere. After bot destroys one farm he goes back to his base and while he's gone you can rebuild farm in that place. But teasing bots like this isnt very joyful. Even if it IS what you wanted player to do in last minutes, I had to start doing this strategy when 4 minutes was still left on timer. I think it would be more joyful for the player if he would be able to do FULL last stand. This would be possible if you would do one of these changes:
1. Instead of having dual base that you share with bot, you get to control of WHOLE base with both goldmines and buildings.
2. Be able to TK ally bot to claim his gold mine.
3. Give 2 controlled gold mines from the start.

The Corrupted Ashbringer is a Cursed Item, which means it is supposed to be possible to acquire, but just barely. Same for the other Cursed Items currently present in-game. As for the anti-team kill trigger, that shouldn't be firing on Mythic. I will look into that, as I have not had this reported before.

Mission 3's AI was a little bugged out in the 1.02b release, but it ought to be fixed now. Check to see if your version has the beta "b" label; it should be in the campaign description when you look at it in Custom Campaigns. If it doesn't and Mission 3 AI is still not working, then let me know, as two different AIs in my campaign use the Mission 3 AI system and I will have to repair both if it's broken again.

As for Mission 4, you're playing a holdout on Mythic. It is going to suck on this difficulty. I know. I lost it myself a number of times, and I made this campaign. I might let you take some of the AI's income like you did in Mission 3, but otherwise I am happy with the AI as is. Removing the AI will make it too similar to a mission in Part II.

Do I have a kind of a bug, or still you didn't upload Forsaken campaign ?

The Forsaken mission has to be unlocked by killing Dark Ranger Areiel in Mission 5, which can only be done on Heroic difficulty or higher. She spawns in one of five locations across the map. I recommend hunting for her before getting Landgren, as Landgren is what triggers Mograine, Rivendare, and Thorval to enter the arena. You can unlock the Forsaken mission even in Replay mode, so if you're really struggling, you can replay it multiple times and wait for her to spawn in a location you know you can get her.

Level 1
I started another run through the campaign, this time on mythic difficulty. Needless to say, the name mythic sure does it justice.
The first mission was fun, I saw that the bonechimes were removed but the urn was added as a reward for killing Araj (btw is there any difference between the "lightforged" and "cursed" tags or is it just flavor?).
On the second mission the dark ranger Veronara didn't attack anymore after the first time, I had to go kill her to her own base.
I struggled with the 4th and 5th mission, but that could also be due to my noobiness:D.
Overall, playing it in mythic was a lot of fun. Looking forward to see how the rest of the campaign will turn out

Level 12
I started another run through the campaign, this time on mythic difficulty. Needless to say, the name mythic sure does it justice.
The first mission was fun, I saw that the bonechimes were removed but the urn was added as a reward for killing Araj (btw is there any difference between the "lightforged" and "cursed" tags or is it just flavor?).
On the second mission the dark ranger Veronara didn't attack anymore after the first time, I had to go kill her to her own base.
I struggled with the 4th and 5th mission, but that could also be due to my noobiness:D.
Overall, playing it in mythic was a lot of fun. Looking forward to see how the rest of the campaign will turn out

Velonara's attacks in Mission 2 are very infrequent but hit hard when they do show. I'm honestly not quite sure why they're like that; that script was designed by the fabulous Nowow for the campaign, and I'm not nearly good enough at JASS to tell you how it works.

Lightforged and Cursed are two distinct things. Lightforged Items are simply upgraded versions of regular items; you get a higher chance of acquiring them on higher difficulties. Cursed Items are special items that can be acquired by doing random, out-of-the-way (often very difficult) things throughout the campaign; only Abbendis can use them, and once she has one she can't drop it. I'm honestly wondering if I need to make Araj's harder to acquire, because I can't seem to keep people out of Andorhal, no matter what I do, and the only time I've heard of someone getting a Cursed Item other than Araj's it involved a cheat. :p

4th and 5th on Mythic are supposed to be hard. I lost those two missions myself multiple times. So you're in good company. :)

EDIT: New update, this time adding the requested QWER command card (in addition to a few other minor fixes)! If you encounter issues related to exploitation countermeasures, you may need to restart the campaign or reload to a more stable point in your playthrough. If reloading, as a test, restart the mission and make sure your hero is not starting the mission at a higher level than the mission number. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Last edited:
Level 12
After the first time Veronara should be coming for you only in a large group after you attack one of the brown forsaken bases. If you get to do a replay of the map, I'd appreciate you checking if it occurs again.

Level 21
Is there a breakdown on what "content" is available on which difficulties? Are there items only available on Mythic? I notice above that a certain chapter is only unlocked on Heroic.

Level 3
I played through the campaign again after seeing it was updated and i's definetly improved but i have a few things

Raids on Havenshire:

- Not much happend here, no attacks or anything. Not sure if it's the point or if i misunderstood, but some more things could happend. I built up and began destroying the necropolises and then the scourge base which was very easy
- During the end cinematic a rider is suppose to show up but his model is gone by the looks of it, only the voice is there

The Final Chapter:

- If you haven't killed any of the undead and trigger the cinematic with koltira you have no control of what happends, the units keep fighting during the cinematic
- The final cinematic where Abbendis and Landgren stands near the ships is bugged, some of the dialogs crashes with eachother

Overall i like the new improvments to the defend misson and everything, shame you removed the scourge bone item from the first misson as i went in to see if i could get something and i was suprised to find it but looking forward to seeing more

Level 1
I just made an account only to tell you how much i loved your campaign :D

Some remarks though:
1. Mission 1: This one somehow ended while I was nowhere near the monastery on the upper side at the beach killing skeletons, might need a fix.

2. Mission 3: The AI took a very long time to attack even on mythic, I was clearing their base when they attacked the upper village. Also when they set up their base after destroying the townhall they won't fight back and you can kill them off without resistance.

3. Mission 4: Very hard on mythic, loved it. THe only thing is there is basically no point in helping your allies since you are getting so much pressure from the north and your wall will probably fall before them so they don't really play a role. I would prefer controlling the whole base or maybe balance the assaults a bit more so you actually have a reason to send help to them without getting overun yourself.

4.Mission 5: Is there actually a way to kill Gothik without cheats? I had no problem getting the Corrupted Ashbringer on mythic but Gothik just doesnt take any damage whatsoever... I loved the Ashbringer btw with the whispers and the spectre following you, great work :)
Also is there something to do with the Holy Water?
Also if you attack the Scarlet Betrayers at a bad time you can wipe out their base without the quest completing, maybe it should auto complete when you kill the paladin (?? Pureblood) Luckily you can kill the civilians at the start as they count too :D

5. Bonus Mission: The camera got stuck in a zoomed in position after the cinematic which plays after picking up the keys which is quite annoying
Also is there a way to open the chest from the spiders?
Varmathras Orders can each only be activated once, is this intended? Was a bit annoying to see him suicide into the gates all the time while i cleared the bases since i used up the orders.
The laser spell was pretty cool looking but they only cast it one time which was a bit sad.

That's all thats comes to my mind now, looking forward to playing the other parts!

Level 28
Only got as far as the first mission, but it's looking very good so far (finally, voice acting that doesn't make me turn off the sound):

Intro screens have no text.

Intro cinematic doesn't have text.
Terrain is varied, but it's flat over large portions of the southern area.
Tooltips should mention Retribution skills only work on the attacked enemy, I kept trying to use Judgement to take out skeletons at range and wondering why it did no damage. Maybe have a visual effect on the target to show how many stacks there are?
Both urns function as phylacteries, is that normal?
The "A Forsaken scout" comes after killing a Scourge ghoul.
Voiceover bug: Arthas repeats the "Very dramatic, Uther." line instead of "I didn't know what it held".

Last edited:
Level 9
@Elf_Lord I replayed the campaign after you fixed the bugs and it is still great though I wish it was longer. I played it on Normal difficulty I used a little bit of cheat to advance through some chapters but not all the time.
I wanted to play the last chapter on heroic and you mentioned that I can replay it on that difficulty or higher yet I replayed it now and it didn't show an option to change difficulties. Is there something I missed?

Level 3
I love this campaign, its really well made and the fact that I love the Scarlet Crusade only makes it better.

Id like to ask however, will the other parts follow the diary as close as the 1st one? I do not wish to spoil for those who do not know the story, so Ill try not to say anything much related to it, but for those who know the story of the diary it might be a bit obvious what is gonna happen. And dont get me wrong Id love this even if it plays out the same as in WoW, but I feel like some fan touch and thus a bit different ending than the one in WoW could make this a true masterpiece. Then again its just my opinion.

Level 28
Unit select level: My jaw damn near dropped when I realized what was going on. Congratulations on that particular bit of triggering.
The starting room's ceiling is a bit low, it clashes with the huge doors.
The arrow firing sounds are heard throughout the level, maybe make the units stop firing while you're not in the room?
Is it possible to turn off unit health bars during these levels?
Talent selection would be a lot easier with arrow keys to move and another to select.

Second level:
Cinematics have no text.
Upgrading a Garrison lets all Garrisons train T2 units.
The second urn disappeared.

Second unit select:
The camera goes under the ground level when near the yellow barrier, and rises up when going to the unit select.

Third level:
Cinematics have no text.
The bridge crossed by the units in the opening cinematic is invisible.
Ending cinematic: The courier doesn't show up, while the Captain shows up midway through Brigitte's orders.
Giving an outrider a horse worked the first time I played the level, but not the second.
I never found the optional quest either time I played, where is it?

Hounds don't seem to attack, maybe you should give them a wolf model.

Last edited:
Level 12
@Elf_Lord I replayed the campaign after you fixed the bugs and it is still great though I wish it was longer. I played it on Normal difficulty I used a little bit of cheat to advance through some chapters but not all the time.
I wanted to play the last chapter on heroic and you mentioned that I can replay it on that difficulty or higher yet I replayed it now and it didn't show an option to change difficulties. Is there something I missed?

You can't change the difficulty in replay mode at the moment. The original game cache system couldn't support difficulty changes, and I haven't integrated the difficulty changer into the Part I replay system yet. I'll see if I can go ahead and get it up and running for the next patch, but if not this feature will definitely come out with the Part II release patch or a Part I patch later down the road. Thank you for bringing this up because I hadn't thought about it in awhile!

I love this campaign, its really well made and the fact that I love the Scarlet Crusade only makes it better.

Id like to ask however, will the other parts follow the diary as close as the 1st one? I do not wish to spoil for those who do not know the story, so Ill try not to say anything much related to it, but for those who know the story of the diary it might be a bit obvious what is gonna happen. And dont get me wrong Id love this even if it plays out the same as in WoW, but I feel like some fan touch and thus a bit different ending than the one in WoW could make this a true masterpiece. Then again its just my opinion.

Go to my thread and vote in my poll. I'm actually trying to make this very decision right now. ;)

Originally I planned to diverge from the diary at the end of Part II, but people seem to want me to stick to the canon. It's still up in the air.

Unit select level: My jaw damn near dropped when I realized what was going on. Congratulations on that particular bit of triggering.
The starting room's ceiling is a bit low, it clashes with the huge doors.
The arrow firing sounds are heard throughout the level, maybe make the units stop firing while you're not in the room?
Is it possible to turn off unit health bars during these levels?
Talent selection would be a lot easier with arrow keys to move and another to select.

Second level:
Cinematics have no text.
Upgrading a Garrison lets all Garrisons train T2 units.
The second urn disappeared.

Second unit select:
The camera goes under the ground level when near the yellow barrier, and rises up when going to the unit select.

Third level:
Cinematics have no text.
The bridge crossed by the units in the opening cinematic is invisible.
Ending cinematic: The courier doesn't show up, while the Captain shows up midway through Brigitte's orders.
Giving an outrider a horse worked the first time I played the level, but not the second.
I never found the optional quest either time I played, where is it?

Hounds don't seem to attack, maybe you should give them a wolf model.

The opening monologues do not have text at the moment. I have really come to loathe the vanilla WarCraft III subtitle system so I opted not to. I will be changing this at some point in the future. I just keep forgetting.

As for the Garrison thing, if you mean that upgrading one Garrison allows you to build the units that require the upgraded Garrison, that is deliberate. It means that you don't have to upgrade every single Garrison to build higher tier units. Having a Tier 2 building unlocks Tier 2 units in the Tier 1 barracks, having a Tier 3 building unlocks Tier 3 units in the Tier 2 barracks, etc. HOWEVER, if you mean that there are multiple variants of Tier 2 units available (like if the Myrmidon, Cavalier, and Legionnaire are all available), that is a major issue.

The second... urn? I'm going to be honest: I have literally no idea what you're talking about.

That camera issue is very difficult to avoid because of how WarCraft III cameras work. That particular glitch used to DEMOLISH the third unit select. I don't remember the camera issues in the second unit select being too bad, but if I get more reports of it I'll make the necessary repairs.

It's not a bridge. However, a bridge would make good sense. I think I might just put a bridge there. :D Making the Mission 3 opening cutscene was beyond weird, which is why you get strange shots like that. Go check out the map in the editor. You'll see what I'm talking about.

I don't remember if I tried to fix the Courier and failed or just forgot. Either way, it will be fixed shortly.

I've gotten multiple reports of the mounting issue, but I have never experienced it myself and neither have any of my testers. I'll do a more comprehensive test of it before my next patch and see if I can find the issue.

That optional quest is attached to the AI, which is unfortunately (yet again) broken. It will be fixed with the next patch. Suffice to say, however, that you did not miss anything; the optional quest does not give any actual item rewards, and the only thing that it does is that, if you fail it (which you didn't if you didn't acquire it), Mission 4 becomes harder.

Hounds do not have an attack animation because they use the in-game dog model. I can probably transfer the wolf animations to it or just find a higher quality model. I will look into that.
EDIT: Hounds actually do have an attack animation. It is just not particularly noticeable, I guess.

Last edited:
Level 1
so in mission 2 and 3 i'm putting my workers to build something but they just start it and never finish..they simply stop.i'm on heroic diff

Level 28
Second urn: Araj drops a phylactery with an urn icon, as well as a description-less item called "Strange Urn" that also gives Reincarnation (and on a different timer than the phylactery, so it's possible to die twice in a row).

I haven't seen the all-variants bug on the Garrisons.

The outrider horse worked a few times on the second run, I think the Stables had more than 1 mana when it worked.

Some from the first level:
Tooltips should mention Retribution skills only work on the attacked enemy, I kept trying to use Judgement to take out skeletons at range and wondering why it did no damage. Maybe have a visual effect on the target to show how many stacks there are?
Voiceover bug: Arthas repeats the "Very dramatic, Uther." line instead of "I didn't know what it held".

Level 12
Second urn: Araj drops a phylactery with an urn icon, as well as a description-less item called "Strange Urn" that also gives Reincarnation (and on a different timer than the phylactery, so it's possible to die twice in a row).

I haven't seen the all-variants bug on the Garrisons.

The outrider horse worked a few times on the second run, I think the Stables had more than 1 mana when it worked.

Some from the first level:

Okay. I was pretty sure the all-variants bug didn't exist anymore; just wanted to make sure.

The Strange Urn shouldn't drop from Araj in the first place. Oops. It only exists as an item in Mission 1. That's why it disappears.

Description of Judgment: "Calls divine judgment against the target, dealing 50 damage for every stack of Retribution on the target up to 250 damage." If you click the attacked unit and check its debuff list, the Retribution debuff there will list how many stacks there are. That being said, I will consider a visual effect for that.

Will fix voiceover.

@Elf_Lord

Tell me, does your map have any errors?

Probably. :p This campaign is constantly being improved and perfected as people bring things to my attention that I hadn't noticed. That being said, there are no game-breakers right now, so it should be completely playable.

Level 19
Okay. I was pretty sure the all-variants bug didn't exist anymore; just wanted to make sure.

The Strange Urn shouldn't drop from Araj in the first place. Oops. It only exists as an item in Mission 1. That's why it disappears.

Description of Judgment: "Calls divine judgment against the target, dealing 50 damage for every stack of Retribution on the target up to 250 damage." If you click the attacked unit and check its debuff list, the Retribution debuff there will list how many stacks there are. That being said, I will consider a visual effect for that.

Will fix voiceover.

Probably. :p This campaign is constantly being improved and perfected as people bring things to my attention that I hadn't noticed. That being said, there are no game-breakers right now, so it should be completely playable.
My asking that question was actually very wrong of me...

Because I uploaded a spell checker for the hive maps just a moment ago and was going to use that opportunity to basically high jack your threat... but no that is just messed up. I guess I got to excited about my upload before I found out no one would be interested in a spelling checker. :(

Your campaign is one of the best warcraft campaigns around. It is certainly the best canon story I've played and that's compared to blizzard themselves. I can't imagine how hard it is especially since you are doing it mostly alone. My map completely failed and yet it is just a map, no story. We all need more hivers like you, even if it is just to be selfish to have more great maps

Level 12
no northrend yet?

Not yet. I've had my hands full with another project the past few weeks, and right now I'm taking a few days' break from Chasing the Dawn to cool down. All the new tech and such is finished, however, and all the missions have been at least planned if not mapped yet; it won't take as long as it did last time to release, I promise.

EDIT: Although if you downloaded version 1.02.03 in the past hour, you may have gotten an accidental preview of Northrend that I failed to remove from the campaign map archive. It has since been corrected, though. ;)

Level 3
In Havenshire im pretty sure the undead AI is broken. They're not doing anything except at all. Except some ghouls gathering wood.Im pretty sure they're supossed to siege Havenshire.

Level 5
After you finish the game and try to play again you dont get control of Abbendis, she just sits in front of the chapel and you got no hero.

And Havenshire optional quest never started, guess it is connected to the fact the scourge never atacked me or Havenshire as Warlord69 said.

Level 28
Third unit select:
The table model is too big.
The Spellbreaker bishop tends to look at the floor when talking to you.

Fourth level:
Tower balistae don't turn to attack.
The sidewalk tile doodad hides selection circles.
Blessing of Faith increases damage, not regen.
Tower loading message says it needs a peon.

Fifth level:
Lecraft has no portrait.
There's a crossroads to the east (south east of the vampire elves) with an invisible wall on the west. Maybe use an inquisitor barrier or units?
After the tower falls, the guy's rant is drowned out by Brigitte talking.
A recruited footman doesn't play the "Say the word" line.
Are you supposed to be able to beat the three death knights or not? I can never get the smaller bosses (or beat the level, for that matter) because they're always jumping me.
Before getting to Landgren, there's a villager near Gothik who's gone by the time you get back. Are you supposed to see him get killed?

Last edited: