1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Chasing the Dawn

Submitted by Elf_Lord
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
[​IMG]

The voice whispered: "Come to me."

Considering that I have never seen a Scarlet Crusade campaign done before (at least not a finished one), I thought I might give it a shot, give back something to this community I've been a part of longer than I like to think about. I have done my best to keep the campaign as canon as possible, but as it turns out keeping it completely canon makes for a rather boring campaign, so I have taken some liberties, mostly regarding locations. The narration you will hear in the campaign comes straight from Abbendis's diary in World of Warcraft... almost.

(For anyone who's interested: The Diary of High General Abbendis)

Again, I have had to make some changes, especially early on, to condense some of the more boring parts and to expand its scope in some areas so I could make more missions out of it (originally, I would only have been able to make two or three missions in Lordaeron; the plan is five at the moment). I am aware that the file will probably be enormous, and once everything's finalized, I will try to create a lighter version for those of you who do not want to deal with this campaign's monstrous size, but for now it's better for me to work in the full version.

My screenshots are all outdated at the moment. Once I have time to do a full playthrough where I'm not starting and stopping to troubleshoot I will post a set. In the meantime, the old screenshots can be found on the Chasing the Dawn campaign thread, and I have videos in Related Media that show some aspects of gameplay.

Latest Patch: 1.04 (Patch notes found on this document)
Chasing the Dawn Patch Notes

[​IMG]
Story

The kingdom of Lordaeron is in ruins. The Undead Scourge, with the former Prince Arthas at its head, has slaughtered every man, woman,
and child in their path on their quest for domination, and now the Forsaken, Sylvanas Windrunner's pet army, have risen out of the ashes
of the Tirisfal Glades. The plague has corrupted even the mightiest of heroes, the most noble of souls; death is everywhere. But one
small bastion of hope remains: the Scarlet Crusade. Considered fanatics by most, the Crusade has devoted itself to cleansing the wretched
undead from their homeland and restoring Lordaeron to its former glory. General Brigitte Abbendis, one of the Crusade's most fervent
paladins, has long lead the elite Crimson Legion at the forefront of this battle, but the Holy Light has begun to whisper to her in her
dreams, calling her north to confront the Lich King himself. So as the shadow of the Scourge once again falls over Lordaeron, Abbendis
must ready herself to leave everything she has known behind, to lead the most faithful to their true destiny and to chase the dawn deep
into the icy heart of Northrend...

[​IMG]
Features

Full (partially) canon storyline
Three unique, original techtrees - Scarlet Crusade, Forsaken, and Vrykul
Updated Alliance, Horde, and Scourge techtrees
Fully voice-acted
Unique unit/ability customization
• Retains progress through updates (not sure if this is a pet peeve for anyone else in campaigns)

[​IMG]
Credits

Elf_Lord: Creator

Nowow: AI Developer/Consultation

Original Voice Acting (in order of appearance):
Katrien Van Riel: Brigitte Abbendis
Elf_Lord: Dreadguard - Scarlet Courier - Herod
Ethan Guthrie: Renault Mograine - Galvar Pureblood
Alex Riggs: Sally Whitemane - Velonara
Rene Gonzalez: Valroth
Jakob Walsh: Landgren
Meredith Denney: Areiel

Graphics and Music:
Blizzard Entertainment: Music/Sound Effects (WoW) - Region Maps (WoW) - Ability Icons (WoW) - Beta Lumbermill,
War-Golum: Blightwalker Aura,
Kitabatake: Mansion Walls & Gate - Ballista (Scorpion),
Korija2029: Black Garden (Wraithforge),
Sellenisko: Draenei Huntress (Exarch) - Val'kyr - Undead Vrykul (Vargul) - Dragon's Reach - Vrykul House - Vrykul Units,
67chrome: Lieutenant Commander (Paladin) - Draenei Huntress (Exarch) - Sylvanas Windrunner - Scarlet Crusader (Soldier/Huntsman) - Returned - Thrust,
skrab: Joan of Arc (Abbendis Portrait),
Blood Raven: Liberator Sword, Scarlet Archbishop (Street), Scarlet Crusader (Jordan)
Sunchips: Lordaeron Crest Shield,
Gottfrei: Plague Doctor (Apothecary),
Ujimasa Hojo: Forsaken Footman (Baelric) - Ujimasa Hojo: Forsaken Structures - Forsaken Peasant,
Mr.Goblin: Poison Potion - Lordaeron Crest Floor/Stairs,
Champara Bros: Judgment - Divine Storm - Penance - Dark Execution,
MassiveMaster: Stable,
skrab: Barracks (Armory) - Garrison (Garrison),
Mike: Chapel (Consecrated Chapel) - Siege Workshop (War Mill) - Pier - Scorpion Ballista,
CloudWolf: Gilneas structures - Sir Valiant (Barean) - Scarlet Crusader (Myrmidon/Ranger) - Alliance/Horde Banners - Sylvanas (Ymirjar Hunter),
Graber: Depot (Storehouse),
Ket: WCII Church (Chapel),
JetFangInferno: Holy Aurora (Consecration) - Black Cloud (Transcendence) - Light Strike Array (Final Vindication) - Soul Armor,
takakenji: Team Color Cathedral (Library) - Ogre Arena (Battle Pit),
Caged_Angelic: Abbendis Art,
Gabriel: Whitemane Art,
Tranquil: Holy Smite - Window & Window Rays, Royal Captain (Jordan)
paladinjst: Silverhand Paladin (Galvar),
Direfury: Arcanist Hero (Whitemane), Death Knight (Thassarian), Proudmoore (Shely)
JesusHipster: Divine Barrier,
ILH: Holy Awakening (Resurrection),
Direfury: Blood Mage (Inquisitor) - Court Mage,
Mephestrial: Mounted Swordsman (Cavalryman) - Gnoll Elemental Grove (Altar of Runes),
Hayate: Gryphon Knight (Wind Lancer),
Nichita_00: Peasant (Stonemason),
Wandering Soul: Crossbow Footman (Ranger),
AhhFreshWeeD: Black Legion Priest (Raven Priest),
Justicebringer: Holy Paladin,
GooS: Armor Upgrades (Crusade),
Elenai: Sword Upgrades (Crusade),
CRAZYRUSSIAN: Black Book (Raven Priest Training) - Red Book - Hand Break - CRPaladin - Apothecary Icon,
lelyanra: Defensive - Fly Claw,
Big Dub: Eyes (Shadowform),
Ginufe: Fire Destruction,
PeeKay: Fire-Horned Helmet (Herod's Helm) - Holy Fist - Holy Regeneration - Inner Fire - Pray - Sphere of Divine - Wing Protection - Abyss Knight (Koltira Deathweaver),
4eNNightmare: Fire Sorrow,
Dalharukn: Heal Cannon,
CreatorD3292: Holy,
cyprigen: Orc Sorcerer,
zbc: Holy Maul,
The_Silent: Howl of Terror,
JollyD: Lion Shield of Courage,
stonneash: Necropedia,
Heinvers: Power Fist,
KelThuzad: Shackle - Cold of the Damned (Dread),
NFWar: Warrior's Blessing,
l0w_kwaliti: Lich King,
Hawkwing: Darion,
MatiS: Nerubian Vizier,
Sin'dorei300: Dragonmaw Banner - Dark Soldier - Crusader Icon - Val'kyr Icon - Ragnar Icon,
xXm0RpH3usXx: Church and Library Doodad Pack,
LordT: Footman Corpse,
MassiveMaster: Fortification Walls,
dansaDisco: Undead Banner,
-=Emergenzy=-: Campaign Walls,
SkriK: Lordaeron Signet,
Ampharos_222: Assailant Spire (Proto-Drake Spire),
Freddyk: Dark Soldier,
TheReaper: Undead Footman,
AndrewOverload519: Forsaken Archer,
Cavman: Dreadguard - Skeletal Peasant,
Edge45: Forsaken Catapult,
Rao Dao Zao: Tosc (Plague Beast),
AnemicRoyalty: Tosc (Plague Beast) - Grand Apothecary,
UgoUgo: Toxic Field,
Tirlititi: Soul Basin,
Power: Dark Harvest,
Marcos DAB: Critical Strike,
Apheraz Lucent: Knight of the Ebon Blade (Darion),
chilla_killa: Argent Banner,
I3lackDeath: Frostmourne,
Stefan.K: Tirion Fordring - Rodrick
~Nightmare: Stop (Aura),
Kuhneghetz: Death Knight on Foot (Koltira Deathweaver) - Barbarian,
JollyD: Horror Soul (Whisper),
Godslayer: Alternate Sacrifice,
Hans Zimmer: Hold the Ice (The Fall of New Avalon),
-Grendel: Diseased One (Sapper),
Fuzzyfury: Geist,
Paladon: Jump Spell,
Tauer: Blackhand, Anduin Lothar
BLazeKraze: Blackhand Icon - Sylvanas Icon (Alt),
PROXY: Crusader,
kangyun: Priestess of the Moon (Lynore) - Phantom Blade, Saidan Dathrohan (Mograine),
zbc: Stoned Ring, Shield Bash
Deathclaw24: Arrow Storm,
ikillforeyou: War Zeppelin,
Daenar7: Runic Skins,
skymarshall: Goblin Tower,
Mephestrial: Gilneas Gunship,
WILL THE ALMIGHTY: Ground Explosion
xXm0RpH3usXx: Pavement
Illidan(Evil)X: Replaceable Banner
Really Slow Motion: Scarlet Victory Theme
Peacegetter: Argent Footman
Dmitry Rommel, Xaran Alamas, Defender of the Crown (Abbendis)
Mr.Goblin: Juggernaught
HerrDave: Questioner (LeCraft) - Man of God (Landgren)
Serbianbeast: Wooden Elevator
L_Lawliet: Dungeon Cliff
LongbowMan/Blizzard: Chapel Banner
stein123/HoS: Scarlet Ram - Scourge Necromancer

This list is still incomplete, as I am only a third of the way through the campaign (though I have tried to anticipate). If I forgot to mention someone (which I may have, since several of my models I borrowed from an earlier project), please let me know and I will update the list.

Related Media

Part I Trailer

Musings of the High General

Previews
Contents

Chasing the Dawn (Campaign)

Reviews
Rufus
Approved. Awesome voice acting, awesome opening cinematic. A well made continuation of the original wc3 campaigns. If you want a more elaborated review, try joining the Grand Review Exchange.
  1. Raven80

Raven80

Resources:
    Resources:
    Soooo, can we expect update, or ?

2. Raven80

Raven80

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hello again :)
    I just want to ask, will be there any update or at least info about it ?

3. Relith96

Relith96

Resources:
    Resources:
    He said he's taken a little pause from the Hive, he'll inform us when he'll return :D

4. KingSlender

KingSlender

Resources:
    Resources:
    RIP such a great campaign that died. :'(

5. fantocan

fantocan

Resources:
    Resources:
    Let us hope it is not the end, just the rebirth.

Need more righteous zombie killing zeal!

6. TheLordOfChaos201

TheLordOfChaos201

Resources:
    Resources:
    we need to start paying hivers

virtual money of course ^-^

7. The_Messenger

The_Messenger

Resources:
    Resources:
    The scope and size of the project is very big for one person to handle. Unless Elf_Lord had help with the scripting and building.
    Real life problems or responsibilities always take priority over a hobby so its safe to say that Elf_Lord has a few personal issues that he needs time to take care of or that he would notify close friends on The Hive regarding his intentions.
    I say the project isn't dead unless Elf_Lord says so. All we can do is wait and support the author however we can.

8. john_123warrior

john_123warrior

Resources:
    Resources:
    who can get in the holdfast?

9. AndresMachado

AndresMachado

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm actually on mission 2. After cinematics, voice actings, little things like the plaged boy on mission 1 and after talens and monastery navigation with arrow keys, I'm absolutely mindblown.

I'm sure for the next chapters I'll see good stuff.

Btw, I'm playing on Mythic difficulty and so far so good, but I have to be careful though.

5/5 already with what I've seen.

10. Gaddox

Gaddox

Resources:
    Resources:
    It's good. It needs a sequel.

11. Homor

Homor

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    An absolutely stunning campaign, probably one of the highest quality ones I've played in years. This map is full of features and tricks I've never seen in Warcraft 3 before. I found myself blown away at every major turn.

The presentation is phenomenal here. The cinematics are masterfully crafted and really show off what the World Builder is capable of. The scene where the Paladin has his head chopped off was delightful, heart-breaking, hilarious and impressive on a technical level. How did you pull that off? I can barely make a cinematic of two people talking look good.

Usually, amateur voice acting takes me right out of a creative project - like certain Fallout/Elder Scrolls mods I could name, for example - but everyone did a great job here. Every character felt like they were actually speaking and there was emotion in their voices. While most mods with voice acting make me reach for the mute button, here I found myself listening very closely to make sure I heard every line of dialogue.

The first person segments were especially impressive. I remember mindlessly clicking "yes" when a character proposed a tutorial to me thinking the map would just re-teach me how to play Wacraft 3, hearing something about arrow keys and then grinning like a madman as I stepped around the base. Being able to choose from a variety of different units and powers that I'd be able to play around with before the mission even starts was extremely awesome and added a level of customization that surpasses even the Enhanced Human campaign I loved so much.

The way the story is told is also fantastic. It's all stuff we've already seen/heard in WoW but played out from a different perspective with a few creative liberties thrown in. Like how Abbendis and her army end up having to flee a burning city while being chased by the Scourge, when in canon they peacefully left the city mid-invasion with absolutely no resistance from the Ebon Blade, who figured they were pretty much committing suicide by attack Northrend anyway. This is a welcome plot change since it makes the story more exciting. The Crusade are still corrupt, misguided zealots in this but their worse qualities are toned way down and they're portrayed way more sympathetically, just as people acting desperately in a desperate situation. It's a great take on them when you're using them as protagonists rather than enemies.

The little character moments are what really sell it. Like the moment where Bishop Landgren realizes he's gonna have to leave all the Crusade's holy books and artifacts to be destroyed is an extremely powerful moment and the VA did a great job conveying that moment of vulnerability and regret.

Not everything is sunshine and rainbows though, but given that this is an unfinished demo and production on it is currently on hold, that's to be expected. For example, the movement in the first person segments is really slow and clunky. The MC has a bad habit of tilting to the side while trying to walk forward like me after half a shot glass of Bacardi. NPCs also have a bad habit of blocking your way either forcing you to go around them or trying to phase through them like a ghost. The menus are also really clunky and awkward, with you only having one key to navigate them and having to press the down arrow to select. Also, being able to see right through a wall when you're cool close to it and turning is really awkward. Understandably, these are limitations of the WC3 engine and not an actual design flaw on your part. WC3 wasn't designed for fluid movement with arrow keys or interior camera controls.

Problems that can be attributed to human error are more little things, like in the mission where you battle the Forsaken for resources, you can fail by not capturing the various gold mines fast enough. Abbendis subtly warns the player that they can't focus too much on taking territory and you need to turn your attention to getting gold, and you have a timer showing you how much gold is left. But the fact that the mission becomes essentially unwinnable at one point but you don't get a game over is a real kick in the balls. Also, I had no probably with the last mission except for the stupid death knights who chase you and can wipe your whole party with a sneeze. Every other part was easy for me, but I ended up having to cheese that part by putting in whosyourdaddy and slaughtering them all before turning cheats off and continuing. But I guess that's really just a lack of skill thing on my part. You're also subtly warned that you won't have time to stand around and do nothing and you'll have to move your ass. This mod is really good at merging gameplay and story, but it always seems to bite me in the ass.

As an aside, the hub mission where you are a bronze dragon floating around in a time-warp choosing different portals while an invasion around you is frozen in time is a very creative way to allow the player to replay missions while keeping the mechanics intact. The only real problem I have is that the frozen units have a bad habit of glitching up. But that's more funny than serious.

The techtree stuff isn't that interesting to me for the most part. It functions exactly as well as it needs to do and does everything right. The real kicker is being able to customize your units before the map even begins and having tons of different options for nearly every member of your loadout. Of course, once you find a unit you're really comfortable using you probably won't get too excited about the other options. Still, it's a very cool mechanic that makes the map stand out by doing something very unique and creative.

If this were an ordinary campaign where you play a series of maps with a custom race with a few simple cinematics inbetween, I'd give it a modest 7/10 and upgrade it to an 8/10 once the rest of the maps come out. However, the gorgeous presentation, expert technical/triggering skills, masterful cinematics and unique and fun gameplay gimmicks make this mod way more enjoyable. Combine that with the badass story, setting and the awesome faction just about everoyne and their dog loves now and you've got a recipe for a mod I won't be forgetting anytime soon.

As a fan project with voice acting that follows an antagonistic character, this beats the hell out of Hunt Down The Freeman. That might not sound like much of a compliment but given that HDTF is being sold for $20 on Steam like it's an actual game and this is a free addon for WC3, it's extremely high praise.

10/10. I'd give it a 9/10 because of the flaws but I enjoyed everything else so much I found myself unwilling to lower the score. You've done a great job and I'd love to see more in the future!

12. daniel atendido

daniel atendido

Resources:
    Resources:
    What kind of model did you use for abbendis i tried viewing the resources and model section but i can't find it and really cool compaign i never seen a complete scarlet crusade.

13. Ayreon

Ayreon

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm having trouble getting the new skills from the talents I choose in the first person mode camp. Do I have to do anything other to acquire new skills?

14. DarkRanger2

DarkRanger2

Resources:
    Resources:
    I think that since the campaign is not totally finished you'd have more Skill points to use for talents. For now there's only one, two maybe three if you are VERY good.

15. Ahman

Ahman

Resources:
    Resources:
    What's the point? The campaign is Demo and it might never be continued considering how busy the creator is. I would say that you don't be worried about this and just finish the available chapters and have fun.

16. Brightest Light

Brightest Light

Resources:
    Resources:
    So I just beat Araj the Summoner after spending like 30 minutes leashing out troops a little bit at a time on the hardest difficulty--SUPER fun. However, when Araj died the second time he dropped two items that seem to do the exact same thing-Phylactery of the Summoner, which has a description and the 'Cursed' thing, and a Strange Urn, which has no description and no 'Cursed' indicator. However I just let Abbendis die two times in a row to test, and both items resurrect her--essentially giving me two reincarnations. This seems like it was not intended, so I figured it best to report this!

Edit: I also cannot drop the Strange Urn, even though it doesn't have the 'Cursed' indicator.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  17. Ayreon

Ayreon

Resources:
    Resources:
    1. Reporting a probable bug
    2. The hero feels lackluster with just the two basic skills. It is one of the two coolest features of the game to be able to select talents and skills, and it's just sad that probably one of the latest patches broke that. Of course the game is still awesome.

18. abbas5

abbas5

Resources:
    Resources:
    thank you for this campaign. i think it is even beter than Blizzard campaigns it self. i was near to cry in chapter 5th. it was raining blood.

19. far336

far336

Resources:
    Resources:
    Great campaign! I thought I'd post a couple tips for the harder parts of the campaign (Tested on mythic difficulty) for those having trouble:

Mission 4

Destroy orange's town hall with the 'Attack ground' command using artillery, so you can build your own and mine from it. Then build 6 columns of 2 towers in front of your town hall. Do the same thing for your main town hall. Make sure each tower has at least 1 outrider inside. I tested the DPS of 4 towers with 1 unit inside vs 1 tower with 4 units, and the former had a much higher DPS. Focus down the necromancers with the towers first. Use your heroes to destroy meat wagons when they're attacking the towers.

[​IMG]

Mission 5

This one is a tip for how to beat the 3 death knights. Run both heroes to the harbor, the allied units in the harbor never die, so they can take out the death knights for you. Hide the other units where Keleseth spawned so they're not in the death knights path.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  20. Regeneration

Regeneration

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm totally excited because I heard only good from this.
    It's also fitting that I am planning to play on Gamer's District WotLK Server which is coming out the 29th September, 2018.
    I will keep this post updated.

Chapter 1:
    3 units are low health -> The Priest heals every unit once and turn to another low health unit till everyone is full hp. I like that mechanic. I play on mythic difficulty and it's hard to conquer western plaguelands. I have most of my troops dead and this gives me an immersive feeling. Also the child dying and becoming a zombie was a nice detail. I killed the 5 Necromancer and it was fun doing it. I take my time and send my units to hearthglen, when they are at red hp. The ego pov in the monastery was amazing.

Chapter 2:
    I love the opening sequence. This is already the best warcraft-like story telling I've ever played, even better than the dwarf campaign! The voice actor are doing an amazing job.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018