• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Character limit in profile posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Aaaaaand I just hit the new 1000 character limit.

BOO C'MON MAN I'M SO OPPRESSED @Ralle GET WITH IT 10,000 IS THE NEW 1,000

to be fair I included a few URLs, which ate up some space... Maybe getting BBCode to work in profile posts would be better than increasing the size. xD

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Aaaaaand I just hit the new 1000 character limit.

BOO C'MON MAN I'M SO OPPRESSED @Ralle GET WITH IT 10,000 IS THE NEW 1,000

to be fair I included a few URLs, which ate up some space... Maybe getting BBCode to work in profile posts would be better than increasing the size. xD

:razz:
@Kyrbi0 : now why the whining? Weren't you given what you asked for?

Quoting you, with emphasis added where appropriate:

Even though an 'infinite limit' would be neat, I'd be just fine with a massively-extended limit (i.e. 1000). If I've written 1000 characters, I need take a step back & re-evaluate. More likely, it just gives me a chance to realize "huh, yeah, that is a lot". I don't feel bad, like when I hit 420 just by breathing.

But you also reacted to @Xonok 's post...:

I don't think in characters. What disturbs me is that most of the time when I write someone a VM it goes over the limit. The limit should exist for technical reasons, but it should be high enough that I won't reach it unless I do something stupid like copying an entire book.
But yes, being able to put code samples there would be very nice. I haven't had to do it so far, but I'm sure it would easily go over the current limit and 1000 characters would not be enough either.
So yeah, that's my official stance - a limit should be high enough that I don't know it's there until I purposefully go looking for it.

...with this one:

Quoted For Truth. This is pretty much exactly what I believe.

Which may or may not be another, different request / point of view from the one you expressed previously.

Now when @Ralle announced that the character limit was raised to 1000 (and not to 'high enough that you don't know it's there until you purposefully go looking for it'), you seemed to be happy:

...or maybe not, since this announcement that the character limit was raised to 1000, earned him rep from only four people atm. How nice and considerate for all the extra-time @Ralle, who is a family man irl, spent with the extra-programming work to (try to) make you happy. :angry:

You are not oppressed. You are simply doing it wrong, shouting, whining, and making no sense imho.

So what is your point? What do you want exactly?

About links, it is a possibility you might not be aware of URL shortening. You might also want to write several 1000 character comments in a row. One can multipost in Profile comments. It has always been that way, whatever the character limit in a single comment was, is and will be.

Level 29
@pyf I told myself I won't respond to this thread anymore, because it really isn't worth it, but when you write "So what is your point?", I just can't stop myself. So, what is YOUR point? you haven't given a single one since this thread started, the only thing you keep writing is "this is the current state, deal with it" rephrased in every post. That's definitely a good perspective on life, why even strive to improve things.
Please refer to Character limit in profile posts and comment once you actually have some valid argument.
In other words, a reason AGAINST or FOR making profile longer than 1000 characters (or any arbitrary number that people easily reach with daily use), and not having to use pastebin to share any non-textual content.
And please, if you do reply, don't go with some "boo hoo Ralle is busy and has a real life", that's just irrelevant ad hominem coming from you (and I think Ralle can speak for himself).

What Xonok wrote is what I wrote, and is the only thing here that makes logical sense, he just didn't write it in a direct "offensive" way like I did (turns out the cold logical truth is offensive to people).

Last edited:

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
The reason for this is that the profile post system in XenForo was designed with a different use case in mind. Short bursts of text. Those bursts show up in a small sidebar and it's nice to see what people have been saying lately. If you can write 10000 characters and BB Code that small sidebar will not work at all. Also, I like to stay close to the feature set as XenForo has because it eliminates a lot of maintainability. I also find that the things we might miss from vBulletin are far smaller than the things we gain with XenForo.

Reactions: pyf

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Colorful cakes can't happen unless the profile posts allow BBCode.
I give my full fledged support and everlasting loyalty to the movement to restore the BBCode cake and presents.
Why a BB Code cake, when one can have an HTML5 Video one, baked with love by none other than Katy Perry? :cute:

@pyf I told myself I won't respond to this thread anymore, because it really isn't worth it, but when you write "So what is your point?", I just can't stop myself. So, what is YOUR point? you haven't given a single one since this thread started, the only thing you keep writing is "this is the current state, deal with it" rephrased in every post. That's definitely a good perspective on life, why even strive to improve things.
Please refer to Character limit in profile posts and comment once you actually have some valid argument.
In other words, a reason AGAINST or FOR making profile longer than 1000 characters (or any arbitrary number that people easily reach with daily use), and not having to use pastebin to share any non-textual content.
And please, if you do reply, don't go with some "boo hoo Ralle is busy and has a real life", that's just irrelevant ad hominem coming from you (and I think Ralle can speak for himself).

What Xonok wrote is what I wrote, and is the only thing here that makes logical sense, he just didn't write it in a direct "offensive" way like I did (turns out the cold logical truth is offensive to people).

@GhostWolf : I have already read the entire thread several times; thanks for your concern.

It should not have eluded you, I made a summary of other people's views on the subject at some point, and also explicitly asked those concerned to precisely express what they want by using numerical values.

As for my own personal 'needs' I have already explained, I can do with any character limit, because I am not limited in any way. I am simply able to understand this simple fact: a postcard is a postcard; nothing else and nothing more. I am not against nor am I for anything related to character limit.

Now I am pointing out, I myself kind of suggested (for the fun of it) a 2240 character limit in honor of Blizzard. But please do not forget: there is no character limit, only a tool used inappropriately. But for some obscure reason some people are focusing and insisting on using this tool the wrong way.

Hard to believe there has been at least three beta imports of Hive 2.0, heh?
For the record, I myself did not take part in Hive 2.0's beta testing. What about those complaining in this thread?

Quoting myself at random from some of my previous posts:
"I keep writing I can do with a 420 character limit.
I keep writing anyone can multipost in one's Profile.
Therefore, there is no limit in what one can post in a Profile."

And also:
"As for me, I can do with a 1000 character limit as well as with a 420 one. :grin:
I can adapt. I can also use other Hive features already available, if Profile Posts do not suit my needs for what I have to express. Which is currently not the case for me."

Once again, @ GhostWolf , you are using guerilla tactics and misleading information. Please ask @Ralle directly precise questions about the technical parts of XenForo. Please also read this comment from him, and tell *him* about it if you feel you must.

Now I am asking you @GhostWolf, to please react to the announcement of the character limit being raised to 1000.

Ah, and when I am asking 'So what is your point?', I am not talking to you, @GhostWolf .

:goblin_jawdrop:

I will simply very nicely and very politely point out, THW is afaik a privately-held server maintained by an individual who is also a family man. He is being helped with maintaining the site as a whole, by a few trusty and hard-working other Hive members.

I have no idea what you mean with that "irrelevant ad hominem coming from you" thing. Again, I do not appreciate Guerilla tactics. Say what you think, please, and say it publicly.

@Xonok is the Thread starter. He asked in the OP about the possibility for the character limit in Profile posts to be eventually either removed or increased. @Ralle heard him and raised it. @Xonok then expressed his consideration to @Ralle, for this extra work he had already promised and planned to do at a later date, by giving him rep. This is being both thankful and considerate imho.

So far, only four individuals repped him for this extra, out of schedule work for our community.

Roland

R

Roland

@Ralle Can you also decrease the Posting time limit from 30 (I think 20) to 15 or 10 Seconds?

Level 19
I find it difficult enough posting with my phone which sometimes doesn't post when I send, or worst posts 5 times.
Having it block me and say over the character limit, almost makes me not want to post.

And I can just hear Roland praying in the distance that the limit isn't broken, because it would mean more posts by me.

And I guess that concludes why we shouldn't increase the limit, it would prevent more threads by me and other completely crazy people

Roland

R

Roland

@Ralle Can you decrease the Posting limit instead of 30 Seconds make it 20 or 15 Seconds?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.