• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Chaos Invasion

Reactions: deepstrasz
A 2-3 player map based on Warhammer 40k and HalfLife2.
Includes several different gameplay changes to keep it interesting.
System of Reviving: When a player dies, he loses 1 level and all experiance. So protect high level players. If a player is level 1, they don't lose any experiance making them good tanking players for those who can loose things when they die. 5 seconds after death, that player instantly revives at the spot of death.
Contents

Chaos Invasion (Map)

Reviews
18:42, 24th Feb 2009, by Rui I hope the creator doesn't feel insulted, but this map is so... empty, that it actually becomes funny. Play half of it and you'll have a good laugher. Don't expect else rather than that, read the first 3 comments and...

M

18:42, 24th Feb 2009, by Rui
I hope the creator doesn't feel insulted, but this map is so... empty, that it actually becomes funny. Play half of it and you'll have a good laugher. Don't expect else rather than that, read the first 3 comments and you'll see. A rating of 2/5 (Lacking), yet still Approved!

Level 14

Bugs

- This map has a valid map author but isn't classified in any category or type.

- This map has no major errors as far as I can see. There are however a lot of inaccurate spell tooltips.

The Review

- The terrain is pretty bad. Most of the time you see only 1 tile, blizzard cliffs and some height variation. Doodads are scarce as well.

- The heroes have been customized by a bit. However, they still use default warcraft 3 spells that have not been customized or triggered(and the tooltips of those spells are inaccurate).

- The music was really annoying. After you take out the Defiler it keeps looping "Tension" till the end.

- For an RPG this map is rather poor on items and story. There are 2 usable items: The land mines and the bug summoner. The story is pretty linear - you save the town from the chaos orcs.

- The map itself lacks balance. Although not a major issue(because of the revival system) it is really annoying that some parts of the map let 1 hero go through without losing any health and some parts all 3 heroes struggle to stay alive.

- There are a lot of illogical things:
* When you need to make a helicopter you need five items(parts) to make it, one of which is a pilot that has the default item chest model.
* Along your journey you encounter talking robot planes which you first fight against and then they become your ally.
* When you get the robot planes you are able to load him in the helicopter you later create(and the robot plane is bigger then the helicopter).
* Before you fight him, the last boss gives you an explanation on how you should kill him O_O.

- The mini-cinematics are really poorly made. There is no camera movement and there are dozens of spelling/grammar mistakes.

Overall
- An RPG that lacks quality in many aspects.

My Advice
- Improve your terrain, try to avoid blizzard cliffs, use more tile variation, use more height variation, use more doodads, import custom doodads. A few parts of the map had descent terrain but some parts had no terrain whatsoever(just a long, long hallway with 1 tile and blizzard cliffs to the left and right).

- Customize your heroes, try to add something that is rarely used or try to come up with something new and original. At least customize your spells and, if possible, trigger them as well.

- Add more items to the game, or even better add more custom items.

- Don't use Tension as your standard music. Either play default warcraft 3 music or import something new, just don't loop tension.

- Give the map a better story or, at least, improve this one. What you have here is a mix of Warhammer and Half Life 2. Try to think up something original.

- Add more balance, some parts were simply too easy whilst others were really hard.

- Fix the illogical things. If you want your map to be considered as a serious map at least make it logical.

- Improve the mini-cinematics by adding camera movement and fixing the spelling/grammar errors. Also some of the portraits were missing(although I presume this is a model bug).

Score
- At it's current state the map is good for an approval but is really lacking in many aspects. 2/5.

Last edited:

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I am reviewing "Chaos Invasion", by Velex.

I do not understand very well what was the objective with this map. In this scenario, you use one of the 3 available heroes – which, by the way, are clearly all based on the same hero, since they share the same primary attribute and stats – which are not chosen, but already property of each player by default. These heroes contain basic Warcraft abilities with a few extra levels, whose tooltips are not updated to display them.
It is hard to tell if it's medieval or modern warfare... you meet marines, but your enemies are axe and crossbow-wielding "chaos spawn". The heroes too: you have a crossbow-wielding witch hunter, a marine, and a paladin that throws light with his hammer, the first and the later being imported models (unnecessary, in my opinion). Seeing as how the creator did not select a category, I'll put it in Miscellaneous.

Basically, you have to fight a lot of forces the entire game, so this is probably classifiable as an RPG.

You know, my rating would be 1/5, but seriously, this map gives you a laugh. I forgot to say earlier, but the heroes always revive in the spot they die, losing a level afterwards, and ironically, the description encourages those who die to be tanking, since they cannot lose experience. And when you start micro-ing (drawing enemies to attack the one with highest HP), and you get one of those coincidences like, the enemy ensnares your hero, or you stop paying attention to the hero's health and suddenly he dies... as well as the way the map is made... tanks that can float on water, I mean, later game you just laugh out loud for real.
That alone grants this map an extra point, and so making it 2/5 (Lacking). Seriously, there's nothing else good about this map.

Level 18
Here is my rating and comment:

Rating system

Altered Melee:
1 - 10 points go on originality
1 - 10 points go on terrain
1 - 10 points go on bug free
1 - 10 points go on gameplay/fun factor
1 - 10 points go on lag
1 - 10 points go on balance
1 - 10 points go on drops
1 - 10 points go on Object editor work
1 - 10 points go on proper submission and crediting
1 - 10 points go on scripting
1 - 10 points go on camera work
1 - 10 points go on music and or voice acting
1 - 10 points go on dialog
-------------------------------------------------
Percent Grade Status

0 - 34%
1/5 Rejected

35 - 49%
1/5 Reviewed

50 - 64%
2/5 Reviewed

65 - 79%
3/5 Approved

80 - 89%
4/5 Approved

90 - 100%
5/5 Approved

The table may vary if needed.

Originality: 3/10 X
It is basically a RPG that has no solid idea or a story. You can kinda guess what's it about but that is all. If the story was developed it would be good as it has some potential, but the way it is, is just horrid.

Bug Free: 9/10
Worked fine, there aren't really any fatal flaws.

Terrain: 1/10 X
The terrain is bad:

- Large open spaced of nothing
- Not enough dodoads used
- Not enough tile variation
- Strange usage of dodoads (What was a palm doing in that harbour)
Study it more and improve.

Scripting: 2/10 X
The scripting was bad and I could detect major flaws even not opening the WE:

- The cinematic: Trigger turn off delays and if more of us enter it would start twice
- We got some marines, was that intended? Don't think so
- Bad cinematics
- Even if we are fighting a cinematic can occur

Gameplay/Fun Factor: 5/10
Despite the quality of the map is really bad, the map will entertain you in a strange basis. I don't recommend it to any serious gamer but for any casual, sure, try it.

Object Editor Work: 2/10 X

- No custom spells
- Marine sound = dog sound?
- Spell says it heals 400, it heals 100
- Poor tooltips

Lag: 8/10
Average loading time, no lag.

Proper submission and crediting: 1/10 X
Credit the model authors, more info and images.

Conclusion

24eyv87.gif
15phlph.gif
15phlph.gif
15phlph.gif
15phlph.gif

In overall: 31 / 80
39%
minimal 50% not met.
For the hive grade: 1/5 I suggest this map for: Rejection
-------------------------------------------------
Overall, a RPG with a potential idea, but it was hurried to much. It has way too much flaws and problems. The terrain is bad as well. Learn and improve this is unaceptable.
Good Luck, bounty hunter2
I might not be checking this topic for some time. If you have any questions about the review or you update the map and want me to check it again, feel free to PM me or Visitor message me at any time.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
It could've been a lot better:
-terrain is plain
-spells are not special and their description is left with level 3 after that level
-all heroes are ranged and if played in less than 3 players they still appear and remain at the beginning

There are some interesting parts with the tanks and ships though I feel they could've been more interesting.