• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Miscellanous / Other] Cenarius Spellpack

Level 20
hi guys, i'm looking for some of your creative ideas that will help me at least visualize a spellpack concept for this Demigod:
1707855279067.png

link: Demigod Cenarius / Keeper of the groove

as much as possible it should be a concept not coming from other games like WoW etc... so it can be kinda unique in some way and more like a boss design consisting bare minimum of 4 abilities including the ultimate (maximum is 7 but probably too much lol) the theme speaks for the forest. lastly, will code the submission in lua just in case. any help is greatly appreciated. let me know if there's such a confusion thank you

Level 28
Walls of Wood: Spawns trees in a circle around the target point. The trees become Treants after 10 seconds.

Mass Entangle: Mass Entangle.

Spore Cloud: Targets an area. Units in the area are slowed, and if still in the area after X seconds, get Sleep cast on them.

Regrowth: Restores all dead trees in the area.

Tap Forest: Kills all trees in the area and gives the player lumber for each tree killed.

Summon the Elder: Turns a large group of trees into an Ancient Protector.

Horn of Cenarius: Increases allied HP regen, armor and movespeed when used.

Level 5
[Whispers of the Leaf]
Passive
Nurturing all life that is sacred, Cenarius' presence inspire wisdom, life and might to all. Cenarius has a chance to revive random allies within his presence, that revived ally gained a temporary increased DEF and ATK boost. Level up to increase it's chance in reviving stronger allies, the reviving range and the buff's duration.
Note: This ability also revives tree, allowing your ally to essentially regain resources around Cenarius. Would work well for a long timed altered-melee maps.

[Jumping Roots]
Active (CD: 10 sec)
Cenarius commanded a line of root that homes to a single target, tangling them and bounces between nearby target. The damage decays afterward for each target caught within it, but all target take the same amount of continuous poison damage afterward, as well as slowing them all down for a short period of time. If casted to a building, this spell will instead become a single target, stopping any action the building's currently doing. Level up to increase it's cast range and the tangled duration.

[Hyjal's Wrath]
Active (CD: 60 sec)
Mark a single target, slowing them down and prevents them from casting any spells. If the enemy dies under this ability duration, bounces to another target and decrease it's cooldown for Cenarius to cast. If it expires before the enemy can die however, it will instead cause the unit to explode, draining it's mana and dealing damage based on a percentage max HP amount of the target to itself and everyone else. Level up to allow it to target stronger unit and bounces to one aswell.
Note: This debuff can be removed, but it will explode nonethless and deal lesser damage instead.

[Trampling Charges]
Active (CD: 15 sec)
Cenarius call forth upon the spirit of his father, Malorne to charge onward, knockbacking and stunning all enemy that is within the straight line. Deals more damage towards building, and has a chance to completely cancel any action the building is currently doing. Level up to increase it's range and the cancellation chance.

[Naturally Gifted]
Active/Passive (CD: 180 sec)
Active: Cenarius calls upon a ray of light to his allies that restore HP and grants lesser Mana regen, reducing any debuff effects duration inflicted upon them and himself. If any allies is dying while under the spell's AOE, they will be prevented from falling in the battlefield, stunning them and healing them equal to 20% of their total max HP once only. While channeling, Cenarius becomes vulnerable, taking thrice the damage from Chaos type damage and 1.5x damage from any other sources.
Passive: If the spell has not been used yet and Cenarius takes a fatal damage, the spell will instead save Cenarius, reviving him equal to 65% of his max HP and grant him a boost in movement speed for a short duration.

Here's a take of mine! I'm sorry if this doesn't quiet line up with what ya think, but i hope you like it nonetheless! Would love to see how the final product came out as :D

Level 20
thank you all for sharing your ideas even though i already made a concept after some time posting this however that is still a work in progress and i'll just gonna let you all know before anything else some of the details just in case (however, they may probably change):

(Q) Afforestation - works like tranquility with some improved behaviors: grants an active aura for X seconds so expect it's a non-channel which can buff ally units and either birth or revive trees randomly around the caster (where birth and revive is not an instant but takes X seconds to complete so it's not overpowering)

(W) Nature Protectors - works like force of nature with some improved behaviors: transforming of trees is not that instant but will take X seconds to complete and this will not be just Treants but mixed with Ancient Protectors (which requires more time to transform) and do note the trees are vulnerable during that time of transformation so this effect can easily be cancelled via destroying the tree, etc... (gives an opportunity to the opposing player to prevent such difficult consequence) still thinking if the mana spent should be fixed per ability cast or per tree transform.

(E) Stoneshield - increases armor of a target ally unit while increases health regen of a target tree (supposing trees don't have armor) just to give both of them enough durability and under the effects of the shield is to also push the enemies away (knockback) constantly. (preventing melee attacks and for the workers to harvest the tree in this state and that shield will lasts X seconds more for the trees)

(R) Magic Dispersal - target point area of effect. uses X wisps to send in the area and detonate themselves which deals damage to enemy casters (it's a mana to health equivalent) while also silencing them. (if the enemy unit don't have mana then the effect instead will have no damage but still silence)

(T) Hurled Destruction - target point area of effect channel. uses trees around the caster to throw them randomly at the target point which will deal damage and knockback enemies when the tree lands (if the caster is interrupted then trees will just land at their current spots). channeling for X seconds.

Nature Retaliation - passive aura. trees under the effect of this aura will have them X% chance to damage or heal a unit near them by launching projectile. that being said if the attacker is an enemy the projectile will damage and if the attacked is an ally the projectile will heal.

---

about your concept guys just keep sending them in and i'll make sure to put some of them on my to-do list.

lastly, i have feedback to some of yours:

@cleavinghammer

Spore Cloud: Targets an area. Units in the area are slowed, and if still in the area after X seconds, get Sleep cast on them.
any spore cloud model suggestion/recommendation?
also is the sleep mechanic here i assume the same with the melee one? (which makes the target invulnerable for some sec)

Horn of Cenarius: Increases allied HP regen, armor and movespeed when used.
is it channeling?

@KromaticLost

[Whispers of the Leaf]
Passive
Nurturing all life that is sacred, Cenarius' presence inspire wisdom, life and might to all. Cenarius has a chance to revive random allies within his presence, that revived ally gained a temporary increased DEF and ATK boost. Level up to increase it's chance in reviving stronger allies, the reviving range and the buff's duration.
Note: This ability also revives tree, allowing your ally to essentially regain resources around Cenarius. Would work well for a long timed altered-melee maps.
i assume the X% chance here will only trigger at the moment of unit/tree enters within range of the aura and not periodically, right? sounds like the player can abuse the chance mechanic here (like moving Cenarius back and forth) unless we'll make some restrictions like giving a X seconds delay of their removal when they get out of range.

[Jumping Roots]
Active (CD: 10 sec)
Cenarius commanded a line of root that homes to a single target, tangling them and bounces between nearby target. The damage decays afterward for each target caught within it, but all target take the same amount of continuous poison damage afterward, as well as slowing them all down for a short period of time. If casted to a building, this spell will instead become a single target, stopping any action the building's currently doing. Level up to increase it's cast range and the tangled duration.
isn't the tangling mechanic here the same as Entangling Roots which disarms and immobilizes enemy units which makes the effect below
as well as slowing them all down for a short period of time
not effective in this case? unless i just misinterpreted that and we'll just slow these tangled units here without those mentioned factors.

[Hyjal's Wrath]
Active (CD: 60 sec)
Mark a single target, slowing them down and prevents them from casting any spells. If the enemy dies under this ability duration, bounces to another target and decrease it's cooldown for Cenarius to cast. If it expires before the enemy can die however, it will instead cause the unit to explode, draining it's mana and dealing damage based on a percentage max HP amount of the target to itself and everyone else. Level up to allow it to target stronger unit and bounces to one aswell.
Note: This debuff can be removed, but it will explode nonethless and deal lesser damage instead.
should this ability duration reset for that every unit it bounces to?

[Trampling Charges]
Cenarius call forth upon the spirit of his father, Malorne to charge onward, knockbacking and stunning all enemy that is within the straight line. Deals more damage towards building, and has a chance to completely cancel any action the building is currently doing. Level up to increase it's range and the cancellation chance.
will be eyeing for this model: Malorne, Great Stag Mount which pretty fits the mechanic unless you have some suggestions/recommendations other than that.

Here's a take of mine! I'm sorry if this doesn't quiet line up with what ya think, but i hope you like it nonetheless! Would love to see how the final product came out as :D

looks cool by the way plus the effort with each spell description describes it even more 😉

Level 5
i assume the X% chance here will only trigger at the moment of unit/tree enters within range of the aura and not periodically, right? sounds like the player can abuse the chance mechanic here (like moving Cenarius back and forth) unless we'll make some restrictions like giving a X seconds delay of their removal when they get out of range.
I honestly did not consider it, but yeah! Restriction should be added to prevent the abuse, maybe a 100 sec delay after about, 10-25 sec of passive being active? Also yes, the passive is not periodic, only when the desired target is within range of Cenarius, which in this case, dead unit and tree! The buff would be in a fixed duration too for an extra note, because reviving random unit AND tree alone is already a powerful passive.
isn't the tangling mechanic here the same as Entangling Roots which disarms and immobilizes enemy units which makes the effect below
Yep! Just to make sure, this variant of spell for Cenarius can also affect building and stop any action it's doing, but will not bounce to another target instead!
not effective in this case? unless i just misinterpreted that and we'll just slow these tangled units here without those mentioned factors
What i was tryin to say in this part was AFTER the unit is free from the roots, THEN they get slowed down for a short duration. I could've word it better, but i think my half sleepy head gave up too soon when i was writing it -3-
should this ability duration reset for that every unit it bounces to?
That'd be waay too OP tho, no? The spell's ability alone can already spread to units, spamming it would probably only make it too much...
will be eyeing for this model: Malorne, Great Stag Mount which pretty fits the mechanic unless you have some suggestions/recommendations other than that.
It's the only model of Malorne we have as far as i concerned, unless someone can remake Cenarius' dad then maybe we can have another option, but i am certain this one would fit well! :D
looks cool by the way plus the effort with each spell description describes it even more
THANK YOUUU

Level 21
Well I'm pretty sure you want to make more advanced spells than the ones I am about to suggest but maybe these spells are good to have in a spell book (or nature book):

• Mass Entangle: Area of Effect Entangling Roots
  • Heart of the Land: Revive trees in X radius around Cenarius (upon cast; X can be for example 3000 units)
  • Nature Slam: kind of life thunder clap I guess but with nature effects and maybe something extra if anyone's got an idea what to add.
  • Nature Nova: deals low/moderate damage in an AoE after a few seconds, after that create a few trees around each unit hit and force of nature them into treants.

Level 20
Well I'm pretty sure you want to make more advanced spells than the ones I am about to suggest but maybe these spells are good to have in a spell book (or nature book):

• Mass Entangle: Area of Effect Entangling Roots
  • Heart of the Land: Revive trees in X radius around Cenarius (upon cast; X can be for example 3000 units)
  • Nature Slam: kind of life thunder clap I guess but with nature effects and maybe something extra if anyone's got an idea what to add.
  • Nature Nova: deals low/moderate damage in an AoE after a few seconds, after that create a few trees around each unit hit and force of nature them into treants.
ohh, didn't actually think of using a spellbook but finally gave me this clever idea of including some spells mentioned here using that trick instead!

anyways, here's what i'm planning to do so recently:

will finish the main concept (afforestation, magic dispersal, etc...)
will consider some mechanics i find interesting from the sub concepts made by the others here
will add these chosen mechanics into a spellbook instead and calling those extras.

here's the list of what i've taken into consideration so far which will be added in a spellbook:

• Mass Entangle - seems like it's really an essential ability for the lord of the forest to have and it's always a mention so i'll consider it. but i'm still thinking of its implementation whether if i should code the whole thing for modularity but an overhead or just use a dummy proxy. nonetheless, we'll see
  • Spore Cloud - i find the mechanic of which gives the players a time to react and avoiding such consequences are both a challenge and fun at the same time so i'll make it to work (i like it somehow)
  • Trampling Charges - i feel like we can deal with its mechanic to also perform like from Ornn's ultimate in LoL kinda making it more cool:
  • Whispers of the Leaf - i find it interesting somehow for such an aura even though it sounds a bit op so i'll make it to work.
  • Heart of the Land/Regrowth - the mechanic of reviving trees seems also essential so i'll consider them but i think will change the name into Reforestation instead.
  • Nurture - i'm kinda liking the mechanic but still TBA (needed to confirm something)

Nurture: Turns target terrain into grass. Units entering the area have increased HP regen.

Thorn Thicket: Summons thorns in an area, dealing damage over time to all units in the area.

Reclaim: Targets a building, dealing damage over time and Pillage. Uses Entangled Gold Mine model/animation.

by means of turning terrain into grass do you actually mean of altering the terrain type itself or i can just use a dummy grass placeholder for X seconds? tia

Level 20
(R) Magic Dispersal - target point area of effect. uses X wisps to send in the area and detonate themselves which deals damage to enemy casters (it's a mana to health equivalent) while also silencing them. (if the enemy unit don't have mana then the effect instead will have no damage but still silence)
some wip sneak peek of it:
magic-dispersal-gif-gif.464225

Level 20
I wonder if Silence is only affecting Spellcasters/Heroes, or regular units with non-spellcaster but with passive abilities (Spiked Shell, critical strike, etc.).
by the actual default, silence mechanic from magic dispersal will work to both casters and non-casters... the only difference is if the unit have a mana then it will do a life damage equivalent of X%.. cant really tell right now if silence also works with passive abilities since i didn't test it yet and do note it'll be using a system. nonetheless, it's all configurable to the point where you can actually put your own mechanics in detonation part so it shouldn't be a problem 😉

[Trampling Charges]
Trampling Charges - i feel like we can deal with its mechanic to also perform like from Ornn's ultimate in LoL kinda making it more cool:
here's some another wip sneak peek:
trampling-charges-gif-gif.464578
(edit: it's not a terrain deform but a camera shake system for just complete immersion)