• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Battlfield-esque Control Point Game - Need Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
So, I've been working on a map, but I'm not really 100% sure where I'm going with it yet. I figured that maybe the excellent Hive forums might be able to help me out :wink:.

Basically, the game work similarly to the Battlefield series. There will be a number of control points that the teams will battle over. Every so often each team will gain a number of points relating to the amount of control points they own.

That's about all I have for the basic game concept though. I was thinking about making a semi-complex class/talent/skill system, but I'm not really sure yet.
Any kind of feedback/ideas would be greatly appreciated!

-Thanks in advance

*Edit*

I also need ideas for the type of terrain that would be fitting for a map like this. I'm not very creative with those types of things.

*Edit* (again, hehe)

I was also having trouble thinking of a method to implement normal units into the game. I don't want them to simply spawn and path towards other Control Points (it's a bit overused), but I need them, because staright up PvP combat is impossible for the team that is losing.

-Thanks again

Last edited:
Level 12
If your making it team based.....
Heres an Idea for how it can work.....

THe Green is team 1 Spawn
The Red is team 2 spawn
The Gray are locations
The Yellow is cliffs, while the shaded regions are where the cliff ramps

Make heroes have abilities to tell the neutral allies to come to different locations
-or make the compute controlled units have shared control with allied human Players

There will be a constant battle for the center while the up bottom ones are going to be annoying to take
And the ones behind each person is just to Show COmplete domination or taunt/distract...

As for your skill/Talent System....
Remember....
Noobs
Quick Clickers
STrategy
A mix of quick clicking and strategy

Attachments

• Terrain.jpg
    Terrain.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 105
Level 4
Yes, I do like the idea of being able to order the units to attack specified points. Maybe they can spend money on buying more units as well or something. And, I'll look into that terrain setup, but I still cant be sure, hehe.

For terrain, I'm in need of ideas for a nice looking tile-set for this type of game.

Keep those ideas rolling!

And thanks!

Level 4
I was thinking maybe that you could spawn at any control point. Also, for a general terrain layout, I'm thinking something along the lines of the attached image. The red dots will be control points, while the blue dots will be some kind of bonus control point. The yellow bound area in the center will be a type of valley, while the top right and bottom left will be some sort of high ground. The two fort structure would be the two team starting bases/spawns.

What do you guys think about this?

I would hate to waste my time on something less than perfect, so criticize me!

-Thanks

Attachments

• img.jpg
    img.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 93
Level 12
I was thinking maybe that you could spawn at any control point. Also, for a general terrain layout, I'm thinking something along the lines of the attached image. The red dots will be control points, while the blue dots will be some kind of bonus control point. The yellow bound area in the center will be a type of valley, while the top right and bottom left will be some sort of high ground. The two fort structure would be the two team starting bases/spawns.

What do you guys think about this?

I would hate to waste my time on something less than perfect, so criticize me!

-Thanks

THe most important thing to think about is how easy will it be for someone to win....
And does terrain serve any form of protection/fear/advantage?

And then... where do you want to place the advantage points and fear points....

What do you mean by bonus control points?

Status
Not open for further replies.