• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Cataclysm [New AoS]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 30
W3CLogo.png

About
Take part in yet another epic struggle between the Horde and the Alliance. Features memorable terrain, legendary side-quests and heroes based on the WoW Cataclysm Expansion. Truly, this will be an AoS unlike any before!

I am still torn between making this map WoW based or creating an original world. Any feedback you guys may have regarding the subject would be much appreciated! :)

Current Features
- Breathtaking Landscapes
- Custom Heroes
- Periodic events to turn the tide of battle
- Capture control points to gain the advantage
- Bosses with epic loot

Future Additions
- A wider variety of custom triggered spells.
- At least 10 classes
- New items and recipes
- More events
- Original sounds recorded for the map

Screenshots

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

07.png

08.png

09.png

10.png

Beta Map
Please find attached an early beta version of the map. Feel free to host on battle.net and report any bugs you may find :)

Attachments

• Cataclysm Beta v1.02.w3x
    2.7 MB · Views: 310
Last edited:
Level 12
I have a question

Wow Cataclysm have 12 races(6Horde/6Alliance) and 10 classes
so in your map
for example: orc will have two classes?

and here's my suggestion list from old topic :p

Heroes
Change alliance Hunter model to Night Elf one (Shandris?:p)
Better model/skin for Paladin
Change Alliance Mage Skin cuz she looks like Blood Elf (or mby it's just teamcolor xd)
Change horde Paladin model to normal tauren (wtf white taurens in wow ;o?)
Better model/skin for Blood Elf Mage

Terrain
Too many wc3 shrubs
Horde terrain part needs different trees and shrubs(it's lost isles right?)
Add Volcano to horde terrain part :D

Units
Change Horde Tower model
Change Alliance Tower-Archer model to Nightelf (cuz now it's blood elf)
Change Archer(mob) unit model to Night elf -||-

Other
Add Boss (Death wing)
Add some neutral creeps
Add neutral mini-city (with arena for duel etc.)
Add goblins and worgens!! XD

Level 12
This AoS map is the best I have ever played i even want to ask if you need a new beta tester if not its fine but I would like to be a part of the team :thumbs_up:

Just PM me if you will allow me to be on the team and of course I will find any glitches/exploits/etc. thats possible.

Level 12
I love this and see forward to see later version, BUT you should really give credits to the nice model creators which made this awesome terrain possible!

I'am not a model creator myself but I know it takes time and that it's hard and they should get some credit for it!

Level 17
I suggest that you don't use World of WarCraft heroes. Use heroes that come better with WarCraft with backstories and better spells, etc. For example:
"Maiden of Vengeance", a dark ranger or "Wildhammer Earthwarder", a dwarven shaman. You get the picture.

Level 12
I suggest that you don't use World of WarCraft heroes. Use heroes that come better with WarCraft with backstories and better spells, etc. For example:
"Maiden of Vengeance", a dark ranger or "Wildhammer Earthwarder", a dwarven shaman. You get the picture.

it will be too much like dota :/

i found bug:

You can stay in base and still gain exp :D

Last edited:
Level 25
Usually AoS maps with good terrain lack a lot in the gameplay field. However, judging from your experience with D3W, I expect greatness from this mod too! Looks great and keep up the good work. Make sure the heroes are balanced, there's a good variety to choose from (at least 10 I'd recommend, due to the competition with other AoS maps out there popular on BNet) and they have awesome spells to match the polished terrain.

Looking forward to this one...

Level 5
After playing this through once in singleplayer (v1.01) I've come up with a list of things I deemed worth mentioning:

-the spells listed in the hero tavern differ from the actual spells the heroes have (I've only checked this on the Alliance side, but I guess it'll be the same for the Horde).
The Mage is supposed to have chain lightning as a skill, instead it has the "Soul Burn" ability.
The Death Knight is supposed to have a skill called ground stomp. After choosing him you see it's actually called spirit stomp (no big deal).

-All of the items currently implemented are quite basic, but I think you know that yourself as this is still a work in progress.

-The healing fountain's effect is too weak.

-Sometimes, there were weird graphic bugs similar to the one whisper posted.

-In my opinion custom made heroes instead of using WoW heroes would be better, you have a larger freedom of designing them the way you want them then, also, the current heroes do not feel much like their WoW-equivalents (and the mage's and hunter's abilities were too basic in comparison to the deathknight's ones).

-I don't like the lava pits in the map, as of now, they don't look realistic enough. I don't know if this is possible, but maybe adding red water and some bubbles would make it look better (it's just a suggestion though).

-About the events: They were all nice and well done (none of them was extraodinary though, but as they are supposed to resemble something like side quests I think they are quite good the way they are now). It seemed to me that rewards were getting better for every event that happened. I am merely speculating here, and if you already planned something like this then don't mind this. I'd suggest splitting the events up in different difficulties (like 1-5 or something similar) and making two or three events for each difficulty level. Everytime the game is played, one of the events of the first difficulty level is randomly picked. Afterwards, one of the events of the second difficulty level is picked and so on. This would ensure that players don't get to see everything right away, but I'm assuming you had something like that in mind already (and if it even was integrated in the current version than shame on me).
As for the Lich King event. I would suggest to only spawn one Lich King and to spawn it for the party that has taken down the incoming waves of undead first, so as to make it something resembling a speedrun-contest. I also believe that you should use this model http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/lich-king-154837/?prev=search%3Dlich%2520king%26d%3Dlist%26r%3D20 instead of the one you're currently using (although that seems to be one of your skins :grin:).

-I can't think of anything else right now, if I remember something I forgot I'll edit this post, so that's it for now, hope this helps you in some way, good luck with this :thumbs_up:

Last edited:
Level 8
If you don't want this to turn into the next AoS with good art and bad gameplay I would suggest you to change the classes to your own unique one(and everyones bored with the wow ones anyway) and make the game more dynamic and action packed. To do so I would suggest finding a good coder and make most of the spells require skill to land in some way.

Another good thing to do is lower the creeps hp so the game is more fast. A game lasting around 20 mins is what you should aim for(A big problem for dota is its long game time, dont let it happen here too!)

Also think of some good bonuses for player killing to promote it even more so games dont turn to farm fests. Another solution for this will be to design all the heroes more PvP oriented. This means not too much passives and no lame stats buffs as ultimates.

Level 12
this lich king model have too uber quality for wc3 mods xd also i hate control point's regeneration :mad:

oh btw.
Paladin class is mega imba (15 secs of divine shield :O!! and uber heal)
make it like 1 second per level or something oO

btw2
i'm working on Wow Catalcysm Worgen model based on this
worgen-world-of-warcraft-cataclysm_3972987778_4ab50b585c.jpg

i started making this 15 mins ago :D
it will be like my other models (some geomerge, some edit and new texture)
1d8c55fa26d6.png

Level 12
Huh maybe make one RPG with save/load, dungeons, pro terrain, awesome pve&pvp with awesome spells :>!!! It would be awesome!
i hate rpg mods because
:fp:playing alone sux D: (if it's only for 1 player)
Multiplayer RPGs are not good idea too
why?
because when u play it 3-4 time map becomes boring :/
(if it's not updated every 3weeks?)

oRPG wouldn't be cool too because
it takes too many time to finish it and
256x256 is not enough for warcraft world, all dungeons, shops, instances etc :S

Well. Just the text "CW Studios" makes the project awesome.

And for the question about Wow-based or something more original, i'd say go for the originallity. So many mapmakers is copying WoW nowadays. Go for something unique and creative with alot of originallity.

Anyways, i wish you good luck on this project. I hope its going to get as much attention as D3W. Also, beat Dota. Somebody really have to do it. And you're the perfect one for that.

Hey CW,

glad you making a new map.

Maybe you could find an use for my Spawn and Move System.

They will help you to manage wayroutes through the map and automaticly remove units from the way if they reached target.

Also, casting units automaticly get reordered after the spellcast so they will never stop going to the target, whether they are stunned or used any other order.

This shouldn't be an advertisement, just wanted to help.
Also, if you need help implementing, just ask.

Level 7
PRO HELP! MAKER TO MAKER:

Pros:
•Amazing Terrain.
•Original Events.

Cons:
•More custom abilities, also I did not think a lot of the abilities fit the heroes very well, for example; The pally's heal ability jumps, but in WoW it doesnt, just think it should be a little more accurate if its based off WoW, but thats just me.
•Did not see any quests, but im assuming those will be added in later or the events are the quests, in which case, they should be more creative.
•More ITEMS, im hoping there will be MANY MANY more items in this game and that you only released a few for beta.
•No AoS is any good without recipies.
•Also, more heroes would be nice.
•I played this game solo and multiplayer for about 15 mins and after all that time on both games it still took more forever to even kill the little mob waves... Hopefuly it will get better once you add more powerful abilities and items.
•I liked seeing the Ashbringer, you should add more legendary items in game like that, but come up with some unique ways to obtain them. They should also have a custom wep model or something.

If you need any help, im not bussy :D This game has a lot of potential.

Level 25
Usually AoS maps don't have quests (does DotA have quests or side-missions?) so I wouldn't count that as a con for this map.

You should probably read the description of the map in the first post. It lists what are planned to be in the next releases (new heroes, improved spells, new items, etc.)

Level 7
Tip: NEVER compare a map to dota... There are so many games that try to imitate and copy it. If you end up making it the slightest bit like dota, dota will eventually replace it... Go with the quest idea.

I read the description, but why not add it anyway...? You can never have to much help, unless it starts to get in your way.

Status
Not open for further replies.