• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Can't play WC3 reforged without buying it? Blizzard scams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
So I have tried several links for WC3 reforged but all of them eventually redirect you to buy the game for 30$. 30$ for a 30 year old game seems like a scam, while it doesn't seem to me that they did much work except touching the graphics a bit, just trying to scam us off our money. Typical corporation caring only about cash. I wanted just to try it for a few days, but to buy a game so old that you probably not gonna play doesn't look like a good investment, does it?

My question is, any way to install and play the game with other people without spending cash? Thank you wc3 community.

We do not endorse pirating games here as that is illegal.

Also the game is not 30 years old but closer to ~20.

However yes paying $30 for a game with missing features I would not recommend. Hopefully in time they will re-add these things, as they also made other updates to reforged improving the game etc so whilst it appears they only added new graphics the devs did do more than just that.

So in the end its up to you whether you think $30 is worth it.

Level 50
So I have tried several links for WC3 reforged but all of them eventually redirect you to buy the game for 30$. 30$ for a 30 year old game seems like a scam, while it doesn't seem to me that they did much work except touching the graphics a bit, just trying to scam us off our money. Typical corporation caring only about cash. I wanted just to try it for a few days, but to buy a game so old that you probably not gonna play doesn't look like a good investment, does it?

My question is, any way to install and play the game with other people without spending cash? Thank you wc3 community.
You can find some links here to download older versions of the game. With the cd keys you can easily have more then one version.

Level 6
However yes paying $30 for a game with missing features I would not recommend. Hopefully in time they will re-add these things, as they also made other updates to reforged improving the game etc so whilst it appears they only added new graphics the devs did do more than just that.

But like this I wouldn't be able to play multiplayer with other people, right?

~And pirating a game doesn't seem very illegal where I live or more like it's in "grey" zone...I'm not sure about your countries.

upload_2021-2-13_15-17-9.png

Rule No 10. It is against site rules to discuss piracy, whether it's illegal in your country or not is irrelevant. Also I highly doubt piracy (theft) is legal in any country. So I recommend you drop that line of enquiry or else you may face reprimand by the mods.

As in answer to your other question, if you pay $30 for the game you can play multiplayer, however if you try to connect to battle.net on an old version (for example I still have 1.27 on my computer) it will not work AFAIK as it will try to update/direct you to Reforged.

Level 6
Well, thank you all guys for trying to help. Yes I'm irritated by the fact that Blizzard wants to sell one patch update for 30 bucks instead of making Warcraft 4, but that's reality. So end of topic I guess.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
@HaaG: Have you legally bought the game in the past? (in which case, you own at least one valid RoC CD-Key)
In the answer is yes, then you can install and play v1.32.9 with the standard assets at no charge from Blizzard.

We do not endorse pirating games here as that is illegal.
You can find some links here to download older versions of the game. With the cd keys you can easily have more then one version.
@Stefan.K: *cough!* *urgh!* *aaaaaaaaaaargh!*

Cognitive dissonance - Wikipedia

@HaaG: Have you legally bought the game in the past? (in which case, you own at least one valid RoC CD-Key)
In the answer is yes, then you can install and play v1.32.9 with the standard assets at no charge from Blizzard.

@Stefan.K: *cough!* *urgh!* *aaaaaaaaaaargh!*

Cognitive dissonance - Wikipedia

Downloading older versions is fine so long as you have CD keys since you must pay for CD keys (barring illegal methods which will not be discussed for previously mentioned reasons).

Level 50
@pyf
:fp:
Downloading older versions is fine so long as you have CD keys since you must pay for CD keys (barring illegal methods which will not be discussed for previously mentioned reasons).
:fp:
There's a difference between using your own CD keys to activate an older version and using CD keys found online.

Edit: I mean, if we are endorsing the pirated copy of the game, mainly the 1.27 version, the only reason for that is Blizzard in the first place. They screwed up, we didn't.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
@Footman16: the only versions that are fine to download are the ones Blizzard itself makes available from their own servers / CDNs, or the ones hosted by authorized third-party sites, which should then have a written authorization to redistribute Blizzard's Intellectual Property on the terms and conditions defined by Blizzard. Any file these third-party sites redistribute or make available must be the files Blizzard provided them in the first place, and these files are not to be altered in any way.

Copyright infringement - Wikipedia

@Footman16: the only versions that are fine to download are the ones Blizzard itself makes available from their own servers / CDNs, or the ones hosted by authorized third-party sites, which should then have a written authorization to redistribute Blizzard's Intellectual Property on the terms and conditions defined by Blizzard. Any file these third-party sites redistribute or make available must be the files Blizzard provided them in the first place, and these files are not to be altered in any way.

Copyright infringement - Wikipedia

I know this; I'm saying this, I don't understand why you're telling me this.

while it doesn't seem to me that they did much work except touching the graphics a bit

So, I tried rewriting the game to be separatist and I hope you realize that the idea that the change from the state of game prior to Reforged (from Patch 1.26) to the state of the game on Reforged -- the idea that this change was not "much work" is deeply, deeply subjective. I think it is much better to think of it as a ton of wasted work or misguided work. If you compare the two technologies there is a lot of technological change. The problem is that most of the technological changes were published prior to Reforged as a gift to the community to prepare them for Reforged, so then this adds to the assumption that Reforged itself is worthless because all of the engine upgrades made "for Reforged" were given away for free prior to Reforged's release.

But the point is that we live in an era of media manipulation, this kind of "austistic" improvements to the game made for the years leading up to Reforged don't change the media manipulation against us, so it's common to believe that Reforged is nothing but a 10-minute code change to add a glitchy web login to the game. If you want to support War3 community, buy Reforged as a donation but then play Patch 1.31 that was made by the Reforged team prior to when they were told by management to put a web login on it and remove custom campaigns and make the game convoluted with a nonsense skin system that broke a lot of custom content. (Hero skins are fine, I am referring to Ability skins and Doodad skins and Destructable skins and other stupid changes.)

the only versions that are fine to download are the ones Blizzard itself makes available from their own servers / CDNs, or the ones hosted by authorized third-party sites, which should then have a written authorization to redistribute Blizzard's Intellectual Property on the terms and conditions defined by Blizzard. Any file these third-party sites redistribute or make available must be the unmodified files Blizzard provided them in the first place, and these files are not to be altered in any way.

Hive is not licensed, tho, so any War3 install downloaded from Hive is not sanctioned, right? I can't just make my own custom modded War3 install and upload the 1 GB of MPQs and EXEs? At least I was not aware of the Hive having such a license.

Why are you irritated? If you have your original CD keys you can play the game just fine. If you never bought the game then you have nothing to be irritated over.

I wouldn't say he has nothing to be irritated over given how the project went, but asking for free games is not reasonable.

Well, thank you all guys for trying to help. Yes I'm irritated by the fact that Blizzard wants to sell one patch update for 30 bucks instead of making Warcraft 4, but that's reality. So end of topic I guess.

So, I tried rewriting the game to be separatist and I hope you realize that the idea that the change from the state of game prior to Reforged (from Patch 1.26) to the state of the game on Reforged -- the idea that this change was not "much work" is deeply, deeply subjective. I think it is much better to think of it as a ton of wasted work or misguided work. If you compare the two technologies there is a lot of technological change. The problem is that most of the technological changes were published prior to Reforged as a gift to the community to prepare them for Reforged, so then this adds to the assumption that Reforged itself is worthless because all of the engine upgrades made "for Reforged" were given away for free prior to Reforged's release.

But the point is that we live in an era of media manipulation, this kind of "austistic" improvements to the game made for the years leading up to Reforged don't change the media manipulation against us, so it's common to believe that Reforged is nothing but a 10-minute code change to add a glitchy web login to the game. If you want to support War3 community, buy Reforged as a donation but then play Patch 1.31 that was made by the Reforged team prior to when they were told by management to put a web login on it and remove custom campaigns and make the game convoluted with a nonsense skin system that broke a lot of custom content. (Hero skins are fine, I am referring to Ability skins and Doodad skins and Destructable skins and other stupid changes.)

You are correct that the 1.27+ patches were in preparation for Reforged. There was quite a lot of backend work in them that would not be visible until 1.32.

Status
Not open for further replies.