• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Builds and Tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 28
When I play Riki top on shop to shop games we usually play an unorthodox style of team play(I don't actually think you can even call it team play) where the other four player are composed of one carry which is usually mirana, sf or invoker then the other three are supports and they'll coordinate with each other roaming both mid and bottom and they will practically let me play alone on top it doesn't matter if the opposing team will try to gb me, no one is allowed to go top when I'm there. Crazy but this works because I don't play the usual play style of Riki where one drop of ward and you'll practically useless since I play it as pure hard carry on item builds but heavily reliant on strategical openings that smoke and blink can provide which my friends told me as very confusing when we tried it on one of our friendly games.

I think I still have a screenshot of one of our games where I used Riki where I went 24-1-0(yup 0 assist XD) the death only comes pre-end game. We lost though since the other shop team backdoor-ed us. Never played with them again.

About meepo, I play it with Rush Vlad then agha, the additional early meepo is big if you play heavy net game. Just one level of poof(or two if you think you're not getting enough damage) then invest more on earth bind and geostrike. It usually only works on pub game though.

Level 28
if I'm with a team, I either play as SK/WK, Lone Druid, or Ursa and then destroy roshan at the start of the game so that we could get our ursa straight level 5 and have him roam the map early game.

That still works this days? You're probably playing against inexperienced players if they don't scout/ward rosh if the opposing team pick one of those.

Level 15
Playing by Traxex :
Starting by Agility Slippers, Necklace of +2 Atts, Single HP Potion, Bangle of Armor and I play in the middle lane, just leveling up without pushing onto any other lane, when I reach level 6 I push other lanes, the first item I get is Mask of Madness probably to level up faster, rarely jungle, second item I get is Lothar then Sange and Yasha then Butterfly... I often become imba

Playing by Slark :
He's way fast, starting with same items as Traxex', playing in the bottom lane when Sentinel's, and top lane when Scourge's... I level up to level 6 and start pushing lanes and I sometimes push earlier, trying to attract players for 1v1 challenges cuz I always win 'em :'), first item to get is Cranium Basher then Sange-&-Yasha then Abylass Blade...

P.S : With all characters, I always get Ring of Bissilus since it helps team , switching to Hero-Only Aura

Level 24
For me, depending on what I choose,
but mostly, Necro'lic or Phoenix is what I choose if it isn't a random,
Item them up by 2 Stat Items (Gauntlets, Mantle, or Slippers) then Ironwood branch, buy one Ancient Tango Tree or whatebs, 2 Salve, and 2 Clarities.
Phoenix -
Since I'm at always support, let an ally of mine attack the enemy heroes first then I help out, once the an enemy hero is at low health, I then 3rd skill (Sunray), timing it up properly. Though at some point when an enemy tries to ambush me, I then dive out, if I still didn't equipped Vanguard or Supernova is cooldown
Necro'lic -
Another support, I just farm until lvl 6, summon Familiars, then when an ally of mine attacks an enemy hero, I then 1st skill the target, then get enough Souls for 2nd skill, while also timining the Familiars stun or Stone Form, once low health, I then use the gathered souls for 2nd skill,

Level 49
I don't get why the basilius could be switched like that too. The only reason I could think of is to prevent invisble units from being detected via the buff on other units... but.. ermm.. I really don't get it. :/

because it helps control your creeps if you don't want them pushing too much to the enemy tower. because when you turn on basillus it gives +armor to your creeps making them push too much to the enemy tower.

Zed

Zed

Level 7
Picking Sacred Warrior and my friend picking Necrolyte, I ult, He ults.
We usually go bot lane together :)

Level 22
Some guys using chen use a basilius to augment their creeps to push, specially on LAN/shop vs shop games where team work is present (sometimes). I use it because perseverance is expensive to get and I suck at last hitting lol.

Level 10
Mythic said:
What is the most cost effective item? Aside from Urn and Wands.
I always bring this up but Town Portal is the most overpowered item in the game, and one could argue, the most cost effective. Smoke of Deciet, Observer Ward, Sentry Ward and Dust of Appearance all have the potential of extreme pay off. But I guess you just wanted to discuss direct numbers (such as stats) payoff? If so Divine Rapier and GG Branch are the most cost effective in regards to pure damage/stats. Both have huge drawbacks though: branches consume inventory slots too fast and divine I don't even think I need to mention the drawback of.

Mythic said:
Mortred doesn't need Quelling Blade right? Because she has Q. And even at level 1 it's easy to last hit creeps.

Is it okay if I start her with a boot, tango, and branch?
I don't often play PA myself. I guess you're right in that she doesn't really need Quelling Blade. I'd probably advice against boots first unless you're going to roam constantly early game, which is one of the few situations where boots first would be beneficial due to the extra chasing and the speed around the map they provide. In that case I'd probably go for a Orb of Venom instead, but boots first are not bad if you roam. If you're going to lane with PA, which you should probably aim to do most games, boots generally cost too much in comparison to stats (GG Branches, Slippers of Agility, Circlet of Nobility) and regen (Tangos, Healing Salve, Clarity).

I'd consider builds like these before boots builds:

Tangos
Healing Salve
Stout Shield
GG Branch
GG Branch

Gold left: 35

Tangos
Healing Salve
Slippers of Agility
Slippers of Agility
GG Branch

Gold left: 35

Tangos
Clarity *2
Slippers of Agility
Slippers of Agility
GG Branch
GG Branch

Gold left: 0

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

I think if you switch it from normal to hero the effects would only be benefited by hero units only. That's what I think.

Because Basilius benefits your creeps and pushes the lane in your favor. Early on this is not wise as you will be fighting under their tower most of the time, making it really hard for you to get last hits and denies, guaranteeing 80% or more that they will get experience and more gold than you.

Thus, disabling the ring makes the creep push balanced. That's the same reason why blocking creeps is a good idea, since you want them to fight under your tower so that you get a better chance at experience and gold.

Item Builds
General Build
I always buy atleast 2 branches for good luck. And in 90% of the cases for any melee laning hero I buy Stout Shield because I almost always go for Vanguard with any melee or ranged carry.
Often those branches become the Wand with spell charges (forgot the name) or are just sold for extra cash to buy that Ring of Health or Vitality Booster / Boots.

Specific Build
Only some heroes require specific builds, like going for Ring of Protection or Headress of Rejuvenation on Enchantress, Chen or Lycan for supporting my other units. Or Soul Ring for Omniknight. There are tons of other examples, but item wise its almost always better to go for defensive build rather than pure offense if you're not playing premade with a team that can at least guarantee some cc and kill chances.

Hero Build Mistakes
There is one thing I've seen that players mistakenly do and that is ignore the stat bonus for ability levels.
Not all abilities are really that important early or even later on.
This may be the difference between the logic of a player with more experience than a newer player.

Skeleton King (Leoric)
I'll take Leoric or Skeleton King for this example, because I love jungling with him.
I'm not saying im the best with him, surely there are better builds than mine, but I've found that this works for me.
This is the build until level 6.

Hellfire Blast - One Level (Level 5)
Vampiric Aura - One Level (Level 1)
Mortal Strike - One Level (Level 3)
Stat Bonus - Two Levels (Level 2, 4)
Reincarnation - Must Pick at Level 6

I've seen players fail to jungle with Skeleton King because the logic they go by is grabbing
more ranks of Vampiric Aura and getting damage/attack speed or Quelling Blade. This works
later on, when your attack speed and damage is good enough so that you can take on people,
but early on, stats are way more important.

Vampiric Aura gives 15/20/25/30% Lifesteal.

Getting one level gets you 15% Lifesteal. That's good enough.
Getting two more levels before level 6 only pushes that percentage to 25%.

You don't get lot of attack speed or even damage to make that 25% Lifesteal work in your favor.
This is good later on, when you have items to make that lifesteal work wonders for you. Anything
is good, but I like Monkey Kind Bar on Leoric because of the mini-stun, pure damage and ton of AS.

If instead you grab +4 Stats. You get:

+76 Health
+4 Damage
+0.12 Health Regen (minor boost)
+4% Attack Speed
+0.42 Armor (minor boost)
+52 Mana
+0.16 Mana Regen (minor boost)

That's lot better than +10% Lifesteal for jungling. Coupled with the attribute bonus you get from leveling up, you will get a
much easier jungling.

Also, Hellfire Blast is merely a stun and a slow early on. The damage almost doesn't matter. Yes it helps, but barely.
The point is to have it handy when you finally gank at level 6 with a possible rune if you grab one. If not, nobody cares.

Status
Not open for further replies.