• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Black Wind

A secluded valley, overrun with demons and their worshippers.

An ancient barrow.

A sleeper... Rudely awakened.

One thought. One mission.

Vengeance.

A small RPG map with no custom elements beyond sound and music, it was designed and built for Warcraft III: the Frozen Throne v1.26 and a 4:3 aspect ratio, but should be happy in any newer patch. If you need help installing an old version of WC3 for the authentic experience, please see this thread.

Did I mention it's fully voiced?

Read about its development in the obligatory blog post!

Other Maps
Previews
Contents

Black Wind (Map)

Reviews
A really nice map. It has an interesting concept but imo, it would be good to have more chapters idk maybe turn it into a campaign for example. The Oracle talking like Yoda got me dead xD. Once the cinematic with the Oracle is over, the hero is moved...
Level 22
Completed it on Reforged with classic graphics. And first question - where are last 2 shadow shards?
But anyway it's a good story about
well-known proverb "Hell is full of good meaning and wishings"
What I featured and liked:
  • Good use of landscape - using small map, you filled it with alot of secrets and even shortcuts. Also good joke about "hidden passage with treasure";
  • Difficulty - map isn't hard, I completed it, buying less than 5 potions from magazine. Also hero spells are well-combinated and balanced, enemies too;
  • Story - simple but deadly, I liked it;
And what issues I have encountered:
  • Sometimes map graphic was glithching, showing hidden areas;
  • In very game start you can be easily overplayed by monsters amount, but in middle and to end difficulty became "easy";
  • And how I can face new enemies, if map difficulty can't kill my hero? Even before manahound boss.
Overall it's a good mini action-rpg map with good message.
I like it.

Isn't the story feels too similiar to Doomguy Zombie copypasta?

Level 23
So I haven't played When the Freedom Slips Away or The Wreckage (I did see a bit of the playthrough of the former, and I did try Project Y4, which was... interesting), but I believe your principle of having a densely packed map full of stuff to do works quite nicely here. Everything about this works - the nice, clear story, voice acting, pacing, bosses, nice little nooks to explore.

Focusing on a single hero was good, as you mentioned you initially wanted to have more than one while making this. It kept pathfinding relatively painless given all the very tight corridors and ramps. Good stuff!

Level 24
Overall a well made, focused and highly enjoyable map, kudos!
If a bit obvious, the end was still refreshing enough from just killing the bad guys and living happily ever after.

Sidenote: The relatively small map gave me Tiny RPG vibes somehow. I wonder how many people remember that map [/old]

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

A really nice map. It has an interesting concept but imo, it would be good to have more chapters idk maybe turn it into a campaign for example. The Oracle talking like Yoda got me dead xD. Once the cinematic with the Oracle is over, the hero is moved back near the river instead of remaining where he was initially (near the Oracle that is). 400 gold for a potion is kinda a lot considering that I want to purchase a potion with the gold I gathered before reaching the Oracle but the healing runes dropped by the slain foes are enough to sustain I suppose. The layout of the terrain and the environment is nice considering the fact that you only used default models to make it. I was expecting some custom items dropped by each boss :pmeh: There is a bug at the end, If I press ESC to end the last cinematic after defeating Black Wind, the game crashes. (might be because of my Warcraft 3 patch idk)

Overall, it is a nice map but there is always room for improvement. Approved!

Level 4
View attachment 390979
Some of the campaigns (or maps) that are made on older versions of Warcraft 3 (1.27b) can only be openable with Quenching Mod if you are using Reforged (1.32). However, I doubt that HD Mode supports this map.
I specified because without the help of third-party utilities open maps version 1.26 even with support for new graphics if they do not contain new models (by new I mean not models from the game)

Level 23
View attachment 390979
Some of the campaigns (or maps) that are made on older versions of Warcraft 3 (1.27b) can only be openable with Quenching Mod if you are using Reforged (1.32). However, I doubt that HD Mode supports this map.
I specified because without the help of third-party utilities open maps version 1.26 even with support for new graphics if they do not contain new models (by new I mean not models from the game)
I specifically made this map with no custom content (except voices and music, which were always allowed) so that it should work in HD mode; but as I said, I don't own Reforged so I am not able to verify this personally. Either way, it is a single map, and iNfraNe says it works in latest patch so that at least I can guarantee. You trust iNfraNe don't you?

Level 4
I specifically made this map with no custom content (except voices and music, which were always allowed) so that it should work in HD mode; but as I said, I don't own Reforged so I am not able to verify this personally. Either way, it is a single map, and iNfraNe says it works in latest patch so that at least I can guarantee. You trust iNfraNe don't you?
I plan to play with 1.32 and even record a video. So we will find out if the new graphics will work well or not)

Level 6
You trust iNfraNe don't you?
Speaking of which: it's about time I comment on the only wc3 map I've played in the past year or so, eh? immense respect for finishing yet another project rdz. Even if the scope was intentionally small, the amount of work gone into this was surely not small. The map feels polished, even complete with voiceacting that at times is even funny ;).

For such a small map, it's interesting that it still takes 30 minutes to complete, and find all the little secrets (I'm amazed you were able to hide some stuff in plain sight that I didn't find on the first playthrough), while keeping you entertained with interesting enemies that are not too easy, and not too difficult either. It's likely that you'll die a couple of times in this map, but not to the point where you grow tired of dying to the same enemy over and over again, so the balance is nice. It has a good little self-consistent story that doesn't really require any more explanation or elaboration.

In summary, excellent tiny map that'll keep you entertained for quick playthrough or two.

You're an inspiration to all of us that cannot bring ourselves to finish projects.

Cheers,

Level 23
Same couldn't find em for the life of me
So you actually only missed one, because the final shard is carried by a special boss that appears to challenge you once you find the 9th.

I will say that all of the fragments are freely placed on the map; not one is carried by anyone or hidden inside anything. They are all in little nooks, but some of those are obscured by the way the fog of war peels back.

Have fun!

Level 3
A bit late to the party, just a bit !
I played When the freedom slip away and This wreckage years ago and had great memories of those maps. I wanted to try some new custom maps again and this map (Black wind) was a really good start. I enjoyed finding all the orbs, the difficulty was good, had some trouble at first but it become easier after. All in all a very good little map ! Thanks Rao.